Subject: SENSE> Re: IPP> Re: SNMPv3 unsuited for IPP/JMP Notifications

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:26:43 -0500

Turner, Randy wrote:

> I will reiterate my belief that I don't think its realistic for a simple
> embedded device to maintain notification info for hundreds of clients.

I agree 110%.  That fundamental belief is one of the most critical
assumptions for which SENSE was designed.  Namely, require the
managed entity (ie, a printer) to provide minimal scalability for
key services (ie, just a few simultaneous client accesses), then
route that information into a generalized client/server system
with a very high degree of scalability.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: James Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:12:23 -0600

> with a very high degree of scalability.

Well, here we go again...

Is it just me, or are we running into the embedded printer requirements
versus the print server requirements.  If we are talking about IPP, the
host to device protocol, then I agree that the device need only support
a limited number of notification clients.  If we are talking about IPP,
the print client to server protocol, then I believe that print server
ought to be able to scale to 100's, even 1000's, of clients.

...walker

--
Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard
DAZEL Corporation, Austin, TX