Subject: Re: SENSE> Re: PWG> Maui PWG Overview Minutes

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:01:19 -0500

Another one... my notes show that Jim Walker identified something called
Persistent Searches as a possible alternative.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: James Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:24:55 -0600

> Persistent Searches as a possible alternative.

You are right, I did mention persistent search.  This is a concept
from the LDAP work, whereby a client can post a query that does
not terminate after the original results are returned; instead new
(or modified) entries that satisfy the search query will be returned
on an active channel (see draft-smith-ldap-psearch-00.txt).

This was mentioned not as an existing notification mechanism, but
as an alternative design to the normal asynchronuous notification
schemes (where the "notification server" contacts the "notification
client" to send the event).  In the persistent search case, there
is an active channel between the server and the client (along the
lines of the HTTP connection discussion that has been going on
in the IPP DL).

As we discussed in Maui, and as Jay has already mentioned, this
alternative is not scalable, as resources are consumed for each
active connection.  But it is some nice food for thought.

...walker

--
Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard
DAZEL Corporation, Austin, TX