Subject: SENSE> Re: PWG> Maui PWG Overview Minutes

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 18:13:39 -0500

Harry,

Part of your fine summary included this section on Sense:

  SENSE Notification Protocol

  No status. Jay Martin (SENSE Chair) not present. It is unfortunate
  that we were unable to schedule a SENSE discussion in Maui because
  IPP is interested in considering SENSE as notification scheme. IPP
  may also want to look at SNMPv3 (recently published RFCs). It was
  noted that there are many notification protocols available today
  that may need to be investigated. 

Would someone be so kind as to list the "many notification protocols
available today that may need to be investigated"?  I would be more
than happy to start investigated those alternatives if someone would
post them to the IPP list (or the Sense list, or whatever).

Thanks in advance.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:57:17 -0800

Javasoft, OMG, and Microsoft's internal protocol were among the 
       emerging notification schemes mentioned at the meeting.
       
       Dave Kuntz - HP

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: SENSE> Re: PWG> Maui PWG Overview Minutes
Author:  Non-HP-jkm ([email-masked]) at HP-Roseville,mimegw3
Date:    2/4/98 3:13 PM

Harry,

       

Thanks in advance.
       
        ...jay

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:28:06 -0500

Dave,

Thanks for the starting points.  Do you have a bit more info or
pointers for these?

  Javasoft

      Are you referring to some defined subset or related service
      of RMI, or the emerging CORBA-related stuff, or something
      else?  Any specific documents/URLs/etc you might cite?

  OMG

      You must be referring to the CORBA Event Services?  Do you
      know whether the Event Service can run "standalone" without
      requiring many other components of the CORBA environment?
      (A "too fat" implementation will kill most interest here, IMHO)

  Microsoft internal protocol

      Is this a documented, "open" protocol?  (Had to ask.)
      Or is this a protocol that a few select players have access
      to, but is otherwise unavailable/undocumented for general use?

Anything you (or anyone else) can provide would be appreciated.

Hopefully everyone is interested in publicly discussing the
alternatives while we simultaneous flesh out the key requirements.

	...jay

---

From: James Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 09:21:39 -0600

Jay Martin wrote:
> ...

Jay,

My recollection on this was the following...

... Bob Herriot mentioned that JavaSoft was working an a "Java
	Notification API"; it is presumably a publish/subscribe
	model.  He had no idea what kind of protocol was going
	to be underneath the API.

... Josh Cohen metioned that there were a couple (several? many?)
	ongoing (or just starting?) efforts in the IETF.  I believe
	that he said that one of them was going on (or coming out of)
	the HTTP effort.  You might try contacting him directly.

	One that I have seen that may or may not be applicable is RVP
	(ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-calsyn-rvp-00.txt)

... I thought that X/Open (or I guess it is the Open Group) was doing
	some sort of notification effort (which I thought was called
	EMS?).  Nobody seemed to know anything about it.

... I do not recall anyone mentioning or discussing Corba Event
	Services, but I may have just had some sand in my ears.

hope that helps...
...walker

--
Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard
DAZEL Corporation, Austin, TX

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:37:23 PST

One more is that Carl-Uno says that the SMTP protocols use a notifiation
method between mail servers.  We could consider using one of them.

Tom