Subject: SENSE> Time to shutdown the SENSE project?

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 12:48:16 -0500

Greetings,

Given the lack of participation in this project, it is probably
appropriate to formally shutdown the project and the mailing list.

Any objections?  Please submit your comments before the end of this
week (Friday, Feb 6).  If there are no significant objections, the
project will be considered formally closed at that time.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:44:28 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Jay,

I would hope that before SENSE is shutdown that it is determined if this
technology is applicable to IPP.  As you see by the email and minutes of
the Maui meeting, the issue of notifications is becoming a very hot topic.
The SENSE work and the knowledge you obtained should certainly be of
significant benefit to IPP.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:52:00 -0500

> significant benefit to IPP.

Ron, what would you suggest I do at this point to help describe
how SENSE can be used for IPP?  I have repeatedly requested folks
to read the SENSE documentation, yet very few people have come back
saying that agree/disagree on even the basic Proposed Requirements
document.

I guess I'm kind of at a loss at how to proceed.  (You know, you
can lead a horse to water, but you can't...)

It appears to me that the folks on the IPP list are taking somewhat
of a "fundamental research" technique in approaching async event
notifications for IPP.  Rather than examining an existing system
(defined for that kind of operation) and seeing how it can be used
to solve their particular problem, they appear to instead want to
focus on the basics (eg, transports, etc) and work up from there,
teaching themselves how to build a system from scratch in the
process.

I think that would be a shame, but if that's what it's going to
take for people to understand the how's and why's of where we
ended up with SENSE, then so be it.

I just hope it doesn't take too long, that's all...  8-)

If there's anything you (or anyone else) can do to help guide me
in explaining how SENSE can be used to solve IPP's event
notification problem, I am all ears.

	...jay

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 12:42:47 -0500

Well, it looks like SENSE will (again) get a stay of execution,
given the recent interest by the IPP folks.

Since almost no one likes cross-postings, I'd like to suggest
that all SENSE threads revolving around IPP should be conducted
solely on the IPP mailing list ([email-masked]).

The exact schedule has not yet been devised for the upcoming
IPP meeting in Austin, TX (March 4-5), but I am hoping that
some serious time will be allowed for discussing how SENSE
can (or can't) be used for IPP.

	...jay

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:41:44 PST

At 09:42 AM 2/6/98 PST, Jay Martin wrote:
>some
serious time will be allowed for discussing how SENSE

Jay,

I am trying to get some feedback from our IETF Area Directors on how
to proceed with the IPP notification subject.

In the meantime, we can certainly discuss SENSE and other potential
approaches for how to tackle the notification subject within the framework
of the PWG. 
However, I think that starting to document more details about our
requirements should come first, as has already been suggested by several
people.

Unless we are in for any surprises from the IESG, which might be higher
priority, we should definately spend a good part of our PWG IPP in Austin
to discuss this.
Hope you can make it to Austin.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]