Subject: Re: SENSE> New proposal for Server-based event filtering (fw

From: "Jeffrey D. Schnitzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:39:58 -0500

The following message from Harry was caught by our Majordomo list 
software due to "ubscribe-say" appearing within the first 5 lines of 
the message body.

/Jeff
 <[email-masked]>

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SENSE> New proposal for Server-based event filtering
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:00:47 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0

Tom (I think) wrote:

>By the way, I assume that a management app can't subscribe to an 
>edition that hasn't been published, so the management app as to wait 
>until the job is accepted by the IPP printer and the IPP printer has 
>published the edition for that job, correct?

I while this may be one case, I hope it's not the only case. For printer
editions, the management app should be able to manage it's subscription
in
correlation with it's queue. Drop off when the queue drains, "re-up"
when there
are jobs to submit and monitor. If the management app is supplying a
transaction ID, like jmJobSubmissionID or the equivalent in IPP, it
should be
able to subscribe to a job edition without waiting for the edition to be
published. Otherwise, we get into an undesirable polling situation, I
believe,
where the management app must poll to find out what editions are
available
prior to subscribing.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
--

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 12:48:43 -0500

Harry,

Hopefully my previous posting answered your questions and allayed
your fears about polling that you describe in this message.

If not, let's talk.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------