Subject: SENSE> Re:Where to go with SENSE

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 97 21:57:41 MST

Jay wrote,

>You know, you're the first person to respond to my "What next?" message
>on the SENSE mailing list.  I really wonder how many people are interested
>in it...at least right now, anyway.  Just so no one misunderstands,
>I really believe it is NOT in our best interest to push a spec effort
>when no one is really going to follow thru with it. It's just a waste of
>my time, as writing such spec language is quite time consuming.

It's been so hard, lately to keep up with all that's going on with PWG!
Plus a REAL job!! We're all in this boat (including YOU!) and I suspect
this has more to do with the (quiet) response than lack of interest.

Nonetheless, I agree... it's work you can't (and shouldn't) afford to
do if there's not a good chance that PWG members will make use of it.

>As far as SENSE and the printer goes, yes, the easiest (and best, IMHO)
>thing for a printer to do with SENSE is to embed a simple STEP.1 Publisher
>that speaks to (at least) one SENSE server. It really should be no big
>deal.

Let me get this straight. A STEP.1 publisher would not need to implement
the SENSE message format. Just the Text Event Protocol itself and this
is designed to work with standard networking protocols. Right?

Can I ask, how would a STEP.1 publisher communicate with a SENSE server?
Could it be via a telnet session? Is there a preferred method?

>SENSE should be able to address the asynchronous event requirements for
>the Job Monitoring MIB.  At this point, I would suggest that the JMP group
>define all desirable events...but in an abstract sense (no pun intended),
>and not around SNMP Traps, etc.  I wonder who in the JMP would be willing
>to start such an effort?  SENSE or no SENSE, that effort must be done
>in the JMP sooner or later, anyway.

I would be willing to do this in a couple weeks after a major deadline
of mine passes. I'm a bit reluctant, because it seems every time we
try to define a practical set of (anything) what should be a few tweaks
turns into a free-for-all and, before you know it, we've made an
unscalable mountain of a (very useful) mole hill.

Sorry, it's late... and I'm feeling rough around the edges. This is not
aimed at anyone in particular, in fact the readers are probably thinking
I should take a look in the mirror (WHEREs that hrPrtDetectedErrorState
2nd Octet proposal... Harry?).

If I were to start with JMP events... it would look like this

  JobEvent (Job Index; Time stamp)
      Started
      Completed (bin x)
      PageCompleted (page n)
      CopyCompleted (copy i)
      Alarm (type)
         Jam
         Canceled (which means canceled, aborted, terminated etc)
         Paused

I would stipulate that periodicity on PageCompleted is adjustable via
SNMP set or vendor specific (every page, every 3 pages, every 5
seconds no matter what page it catches etc.).

I'm sure we could find a few more good ones, but, like your current
STEP.1 proposal, a brief list like this could go a long way to
facilitating job management.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Jeff Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:56:48 -0500

> Let me get this straight. A STEP.1 publisher would not need to 
> implement the SENSE message format. Just the Text Event Protocol 
> itself and this is designed to work with standard networking
> protocols. Right?
> 
> Can I ask, how would a STEP.1 publisher communicate with a SENSE 
> server?  Could it be via a telnet session? Is there a preferred
> method?

No, STEP.1 describes a protocol data format that is encapsulated in 
the opaque data field of the SENSE message format.  A property in 
the encapsulating message would describe the data as a STEP.1 event.  

A STEP.1 Publisher communicates with the SENSE Server using the Common
SENSE protocol, where STEP.1 is the format of the opaque data in the
event message.  See FTP://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwgsense/msgfmt.ps

Recall the Publication/Edition model of SENSE:  A Publication
is registered to describe the printer; an Edition is registered 
to represent the STEP.1 event stream.  A STEP.1 Publisher then
issues events for that Edition.  The SENSE Server then distributes
these events to interested Subscribers.  

Initial registration of this Publication and Edition might be
handled by a STEP.1 Publisher embedded in the printer, or it might
be delegated to external software.  If you wanted the printer
to work as automagically as possible, the embedded Publisher
would handle the registration as needed after determining the
appropriate SENSE domain and locating the SENSE Server.

Hmm, what we've been calling STEP.1 is called STEP.SingleLine.CC
in FTP://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/sense/snsapx.htm#editions

/Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------