Subject: SENSE> SENSE clarifications

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 13:31:15 MST

Jeff, thanks for your previous clarification that the Step.1 protocol
rides in the Opaque Data field of the SENSE message. I should have known.
It's all very clear following your explanation.

One more question. I've heard Jay refer to the UDP nature of SENSE as a
salability plus, but where is the acknowledgment scheme specified that
makes the SENSE message reliable?

Harry Lewis.

---

From: "JKMARTIN.US.ORACLE.COM" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Feb 97 22:22:16 -0800

Harry, 
 
Whenever the SENSE server sends an event message to a subscriber, 
the server periodically retransmits the event until the subscriber 
sends a reply.  Of course, there are limits as to the number of 
retransmits, and the overall TTL (time to live) of the message to 
limit the resources required by the server. 
 
Similarly, a publisher (the agent submitting events to the server 
on behalf of an "entity", in this case, a printer) uses the same 
approach in submitting events; the publisher periodically retries 
until the server acknowledges receipt of the event, with the same 
types of max-retries and TTL as above. 
 
In the manner, we get what we refer to as "reasonable reliability". 
 
Comments from anyone?  Is this "good enough"? 
 
	...jay 

Subject: SENSE> SENSE clarifications
From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked],[email-masked]
Date: 13 Feb 97 12:31:15

Harry Lewis.