Subject: SDP> Snow White and the Siamese Twins

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:13:38 PDT

I think I have one explanation why people seem to read very different
things into what is needed for the server to device protocol.

In one popular scenario, the print server is like Snow White, surrounded by
a number of small dwarfs, and Snow White is towering over the dwarfs (the
connected devices).

In another popular scenario, the print server is more like one of a pair of
Siamese Twins, where the device is the other twin.

It is obvious to me that the Siamese Twin scenario has little or no use for
any other protocol than IPP, while in the Snow White and Dwarfs scenario
there may indeed be need for some other functionality than what is
currently defined for IPP V1.0.

Just trying to help out with some new terminology...

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]