Subject: PMP> Printer MIB Working Group mtg. in Boulder

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:15:08 -0500

There will not be a Printer MIB working group meeting in Boulder.
We will address the Error Status Reporting issue via the mailing
list and potentially a conference call if required. The only
Printer MIB activity on the agenda is a 15 minute update on the
status of the Printer MIB that was requested by one person.
Because several Printer MIB working group participants will not
be in Boulder, I will give you a written update. The HR MIB working
group should be starting up in the next week or so to move the
HR MIB to Draft Standard. BTW, the HR MIB Working Group activity
is only occurring because of our requirement. The request to add
our new definitions to the previously reserved bits to
hrPrinterDetectedErrorState has been forwarded to the HR MIB
Working Group chairman. We will need to withdraw that request
if we decide to go a different route to address error reporting.
With regards to moving the Printer MIB to Draft Standard, our
Area Directors have taken a hard line stand that a MIB cannot be
advanced from Proposed to Draft if any new function has been added
to a MIB, deletion of function is the only acceptable change.
Based on this position, the best thing for us to do to move forward
is to submit the new Printer MIB as a Proposed Standard. If we still
want to go to Draft Standard, wait until the HR MIB goes to Draft and
then quickly submit the new Printer MIB as a Draft Standard as well.

------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740