Subject: PMP> Top 25 question

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:27:50 -0400

I know we had intensive participation on the top 25 with very good results. In
sharing some implementation experience, now, I have to point out that the
entries for CRITICAL Output Tray Full and Missing mandate OFFLINE along with
SERVICE REQUESTED (SR). I think this is because the hrMIB architects mandate SR
as a WARNING (only).

Our problem is that software applications are likely to represent OFFLINE,
CRITICAL ACTIVE, NON-CRITICAL ACTIVE, NORMAL, BUSY etc... as high level Printer
Status... as defined by the chart in the printer MIB. Unfortunately, we are
using the OFFLINE bit to overcome a limitation with SF which will result in a
false Status indication on the manager if the printer has a full or missing
output bin but does not actually go OFFLINE.

I submitted a proposal to add hrPrinterDetectedErrorState bits to the hrMIB.
Was the expectation that the top25 chart would be updated should these bits be
accepted? If so, I suggest the total inactivity in hrMIB is totally
unacceptable and the PWG should take matters into it's own hands by adding an
object to prtGeneral which extends these bits. Then we could clean up the top
25 table.

If others think it's just been too long and hard a battle to reopen at this
point, I'd at least like to hear from software vendors what they think about
indicating OFFLINE when it's really not.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems