Subject: PMP> Closure on MIME vs. Enums

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:44:36 -0400

Evidently there is some opinion in the IPP working group that
the Printer MIB is stalled with the IETF because of the MIME vs
enum discussion for interpreter types. I wanted to assure
everyone within the PMP working group that as far as Chris and
I are concerned this is not the case at all. Chris and I are
working on taking the Printer MIB as currently defined forward
to our Area Directors as a Draft Standard.

>From the minutes of the last IPP conference call, an issue is
going to be raised against the Printer MIB in the Atlanta IPP
working group session to "keep the same Printer MIB registry,
do not deprecate it, add a new optional, printerLangMIMEType".
My position is and will be that the Printer MIB is closed and
moving forward on the standards track. I have not seen enough
justification to halt this process to add this new object.
Regards,
Lloyd

------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:11:31 -0400

Excellent statement, Lloyd.  There is no real justification for the IPP effort
to be impacting the Printer MIB effort, particularly with regard to the
issue of MIME types vs. enum definitions.

    ...jay