Subject: PMP> FWD: MIME-types and alignment

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:03:56 -0400 (EDT)

For the benefit of those on the PMP who do not follow the IPP list.

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Mon Aug 18 14:28 EDT 1997
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:18:03 PDT
From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Organization: Xerox PARC
To: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> MIME-types and alignment
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith
>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking
>     with MIME-type specifications.

To be more precise:

When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print
instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment
with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for
message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with
some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management
and monitoring of the status of a device.

----- End Included Message -----