Subject: PMP> Localization message

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:26:01 -0600

I found my latest (Friday, 6/13) localization message on the PWG server (http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/pmp/0609.html) but it hasn't been reflected back to me. If you're interested and haven't seen it, please check it out.

Bob Pentecost
HP

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:04:23 PDT

Hi folks,                                          Monday (16 June 1997)

Below is a proposed string type 'PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC' and the
list (with help from Angelo Caruso and Chris Wellens) of Printer MIB
'human-readable' string objects which should NOT be under the control of
'prtGeneralStaticLocalization', but should use the new string type
'PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC'.

I hope this answers recent mail sent while my laptop was broken.  My
laptop (manufacturer's name omitted here...) was miraculously returned
TWO business days after being sent in for service.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434 (voice only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC':

    prtLocalizationLanguage             - English tags from ISO 639
    prtLocalizationCountry              - English tags from ISO 3166
    prtInputMediaType                   - English tags from ISO 10175
    prtInputMediaColor                  - English tags from ISO 10175
    prtMarkerColorantValue              - English tags from ISO 10175
    prtChannelInformation               - English tags from Printer MIB
    prtGeneralCurrentOperator           - English tags from Printer MIB
    prtGeneralServicePerson             - English tags from Printer MIB

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString':

    prtGeneralPrinterName (was 'prtGeneralAdminName' in March 1997)
    prtGeneralSerialNumber
    prtInputMediaName
    prtInputName
    prtInputVendorName
    prtInputModel
    prtInputVersion
    prtInputSerialNumber
    prtOutputName
    prtOutputVendorName
    prtOutputModel
    prtOutputVersion
    prtOutputSerialNumber
    prtChannelProtocolVersion
    prtInterpreterLangLevel
    prtInterpreterLangVersion
    prtInterpreterVersion

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four proposed string types for 'human-readable' strings:

1)  PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayStringTC
    - 'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' for language, country, code set

2)  PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayStringTC
    - 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' for language, country, code set

3)  PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC
    - 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' for language, country, code set

4)  PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC
    - English, ASCII, and 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' for country
    - if the country is NOT 'English-speaking', then the data (but
      NOT the keywords/tags) in some objects need NOT be in 'English',
      but should still be in ASCII (eg, French without accents)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose static locale (language, country, code set) shall be
            composed of the English language (invariant), any country
            (indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization'),
            and the NVT ASCII code set (invariant);
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station.

        Usage:  If the locale country is NOT 'English-speaking', then
        the code set shall nonetheless be NVT ASCII (a 7-bit code set!)
        and keywords/tags shall be in the English language (specified
        by an appropriate IETF or ISO standard, IANA registry, etc), but
        other data need NOT be in 'English' (eg, French w/out accents)."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' in the General group
                of this Printer MIB.
        See:    NVT ASCII description on pages 10-11 of IETF TELNET
                standard (RFC 854).
        See:    'DisplayString' textual convention on page 4 of the
                IETF SNMPv2-TC (RFC 1903).
        See:    Localization in the ISO POSIX.2 standard (ISO 9945-2).
        See:    Localization in the ISO C standard (ISO 9899)."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

------------------------------------------------------------------------