Subject: Re: PMP> MIB Typos? - localization updates

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:47:57 PDT

Hi Bob,

Actually, what we so far have is Xerox MIB means to update supported
locales dynamically and a desire not to preclude doing so in real 
products in the future.  The presumption remains though that the
managed system would be in some 'service' mode (although the SNMP
agent was 'talking') and network jobs would NOT be floo...oops
flowing through the managed system while new locales were added
(to a hard disk, flash memory, or whatever).  The managed system would be
reset (via the Printer MIB object or some other means) and do a power
cycle before the new locales would be 'available' for use.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434

-------------------------------- Bob's note --------------------------
>From [email-masked] Thu Jun 26 18:47:31 1997
From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
To: "'Young, Lloyd PWG'" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Wellens, Chris (PWG)'" <[email-masked]>,
        "'Mcdonald, Ira (PWG)'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'PWG-pmp'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: MIB typos?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:33:09 PDT
Status: R

I was looking at the Printer MIB and came across what appears to be a =
cut and paste error.

prtLocalizationIndex OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX     Integer32 (1..65535)
              MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
              STATUS     current
              DESCRIPTION
                "A unique value used by the printer to identify this
          localization entry.  Although these values may change due to a
          major reconfiguration of the device (e.g., the addition of new
          Cover sub-units to the printer), values are expected to remain
          stable across successive printer power cycles."

The "e.g., " refers to " the addition of new Cover sub-units to the =
printer". I'd be quite surprised that adding covers will cause more =
localization entries! How about something along the lines of "the =
addition of new localization code to the printer."

Also, Ira mentioned today that his printers have the ability to have =
localizations added. Ira, is that done while the printer is online? HP =
printers allow localizations to be added via a ROM SIMM, so it is =
powered down for the addition. If the printer does it live, then most of =
the "DESCRIPTION" should be deleted.

Bob