Subject: Re: PMP> Improved Statis Localization (per Angelo C)

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:42:14 PDT

Hi Lloyd,

You got me.  Sorry, folks on the mailing list (including myself).
The problem that Angelo raised (or anyway he came to the mike and
told me about it) is what if the remote system admin tool wants
to place a new '
'static' locale in the device, but the device doesn't KNOW about
the locale.  The alternative ASN.1 I posted lasted Thursday
evening (and Bob Pentecost commented on) removed the need
for the 'static' locale to already be KNOWN in the current
'prtLocalizationTable' (in some row reflecting ROM, etc).

Since the 'prtLocalizationTable' is 'read-only', the remote
system has to either:
a)  populate a new row by out-of-band means OR
b)  not depend on a pointer into that table, to specify
    the (newly selected) 'static' locale.

See the note below and previous notes.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221 
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434

PS - I am deeply chagrined to have been guilty of not putting
the whole topic on the mailing list, since I regularly grumble
about just that.  I just plain forgot.  And I was anxious to
forward some ASN.1 to repair the 'problem', and forgot to
STATE it.

------------------------------ Lloyd's note -----------------
>From [email-masked] Mon Jun 30 17:11:40 1997
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:20:55 PDT
Subject: Re: PMP> Improved Static Localization (per Angelo C)
Status: R

Ira,
For the benefit of people on the mailing list that were not a part
of the discussion at Nasha, would you please append the problem
that you are trying to solve with your latest modification?
Thanks,
Lloyd
------------------
To:       [email-masked],
          [email-masked]
cc:        (bcc: Lloyd Young)
From:     [email-masked] @ LEXMTA
Date:     06/26/97 06:40:58 PM MST
Subject:  PMP> Improved Static Localization (per Angelo C)

Reply To: PMP> New Printer MIB draft
Hi Lloyd, Angelo, and PMP folks,                 Thursday (26 June 1997)
During a break in this afternoon's IPP Telecon, Lloyd Young brought
hardcopy of yesterday's draft of the Printer MIB into the Nashua
conference room.  A brief, lively discussion ensued.
Angelo Caruso suggested to me (and others in the conference room) that
an even BETTER way to specify the 'static' locale of a managed system
(than using an index into an entry in the 'prtLocalizationTable') was to
permit a remote management station (eg, system admin client tool) to Set
a locale which may NOT be currently 'known' to the managed system (ie,
the static locale may be 'opaque' to the managed system - not among the
locales 'known' via ROM/disk/etc).
ASN.1 for Angelo's suggestion follows (if someone else in the conference
room actually suggested the idea, my apologies - it was a little tricky
listening in this afternoon).
Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434
---------------------- Improved Static Localization --------------------
UPDATE the following (2) textual conventions in the Printer MIB (flagged
with double-arrows '>>' at updated lines):
PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose static locale (language, country, code set) shall be
>>          indicated by the combination of the values of
>>          'prtGeneralStaticLocale[Language|Country|CodeSet]';
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station."
    REFERENCE
>>      "See:   'prtGeneralStaticLocale[Language|Country|CodeSet]'
>>              in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))

PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose static locale (language, country, code set) shall be
            composed of the English language (invariant), any country
>>          (indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralStaticLocaleCountry'),
            and the NVT ASCII code set (invariant);
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station.
        Usage:  If the locale country is NOT 'English-speaking', then
        the code set shall nonetheless be NVT ASCII (a 7-bit code set!)
        and keywords/tags shall be in the English language (specified
        by an appropriate IETF or ISO standard, IANA registry, etc), but
        other data need NOT be in 'English' (eg, French w/out accents)."
    REFERENCE
>>      "See:   'prtGeneralStaticLocaleCountry' in the General group
                of this Printer MIB.
        See:    NVT ASCII description on pages 10-11 of IETF TELNET
                standard (RFC 854).
        See:    'DisplayString' textual convention on page 4 of the
                IETF SNMPv2-TC (RFC 1903).
        See:    Localization in the ISO POSIX.2 standard (ISO 9945-2).
        See:    Localization in the ISO C standard (ISO 9899)."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))

REMOVE the following (1) object from the General group:
prtGeneralStaticLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
    ...
    <text in current draft>
    ...
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 20 }

ADD the following (3) objects to the General group:
prtGeneralStaticLocaleLanguage OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..2))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A two character language code from ISO 639, specifying the
        language part of the locale (language, country, code set) to be
        used when interpreting statically localized 'human-readable'
        string objects of type 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC'
        (for example 'en', 'gb', 'ca', 'fr', 'de', etc).
        Usage:  A blank string (two space characters) shall indicate
        that the static locale language is not defined in ISO 639.
        Usage:  This object is updated (infrequently) by system
        administrators when they install, upgrade, or move the managed
        system (to another physical and/or network location).
        Usage:  This object need NOT contain a value which is 'known'
        to this network printer or network print server, and need NOT
        contain a value found in some 'prtLocalizationLanguage'
        object instance currently present in the 'prtLocalizationTable'
        (ie, the static locale may be 'opaque' to the managed system)."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings),
                'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings), and
                'prtGeneralStaticLocale[Country|CodeSet]'
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 20 }

prtGeneralStaticLocaleCountry OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      PrtEnglishASCIIDisplayStringTC (SIZE (0..2))
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A two character country code from ISO 3166, specifying the
        country part of the locale (language, country, code set) to be
        used when interpreting statically localized 'human-readable'
        string objects of type 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC'
        (for example 'US', 'FR', 'DE', etc).
        Usage:  A blank string (two space characters) shall indicate
        that the static locale country is not defined in ISO 3166.
        Usage:  This object is updated (infrequently) by system
        administrators when they install, upgrade, or move the managed
        system (to another physical and/or network location).
        Usage:  This object need NOT contain a value which is 'known'
        to this network printer or network print server, and need NOT
        contain a value found in some 'prtLocalizationLanguage'
        object instance currently present in the 'prtLocalizationTable'
        (ie, the static locale may be 'opaque' to the managed system)."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings),
                'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings), and
                'prtGeneralStaticLocale[Language|CodeSet]'
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 21 }

prtGeneralStaticLocaleCodeSet OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      CodedCharSet
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A code set from the IANA Character Set registry, specifying the
        code set part of the locale (language, country, code set) to be
        used when interpreting statically localized 'human-readable'
        string objects of type 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayStringTC'.
        Usage:  This object is updated (infrequently) by system
        administrators when they install, upgrade, or move the managed
        system (to another physical and/or network location).
        Usage:  This object need NOT contain a value which is 'known'
        to this network printer or network print server, and need NOT
        contain a value found in some 'prtLocalizationCharacterSet'
        object instance currently present in the 'prtLocalizationTable'
        (ie, the static locale may be 'opaque' to the managed system)."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings),
                'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings), and
                'prtGeneralStaticLocale[Language|Country]'
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 22 }