Subject: RE: PMP> Localization changes to Printer MIB

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 16:08:54 -0600

First a question, then some comments.

Will the two new objects, prtGeneralConsoleLocalization and prtGeneralStaticLocalization, be mandatory or optional?

My main concern is the magnitude of the changes that we are inducing at this late stage. I recalled this topic being discussed in a phone conference so I found the following in the minutes (conf-call-970422):
-----------
4. Should the phone:, fax: and email: tags be used in non 8-bit environments?  non-English environments?
Ira discussed his proposal for three Textual Conventions for grouping all currently defined strings.  Randy also discussed his proposal that the current localization should apply to all read/write strings that are intended to be human readable and are not explicitly controlled by prtConsoleLocalization.  

After much group discussion, it was agreed that Randy will review Ira's proposal and send a recommendation to the mailing list.  The goal is to allow the strings to be localized with a minimal impact to the document.
-----------

I don't think the goal of "minimal impact to the document" has been reached. We are looking at:
   -- Adding two new objects.
   -- Adding three new textual conventions.
   -- Changing the syntax of 33 objects.

I don't believe a change of this magnitude should go into the document just before we submit it. Remember Lloyd's guidelines that said we are looking for editorial changes only at this point in time.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From:  [email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Friday, June 06, 1997 7:53 AM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject:  PMP> Localization changes to Printer MIB

Ira McDonald on 4/16/97 raised on issue that the localization
specified in the Printer MIB is not adequate for the Japan/Asia/
Far East markets. Ira has developed the following proposal and
Chris and I think we should include it in the Printer MIB.
Any discussion?
--------------------------------------------------

 Add three new textual conventions:
 ----------------------------------

 PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
         "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
         a)  whose dynamic locale (language, country, code set) shall be
             indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization';
         b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
         c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management station."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' in the General group
                 of this Printer MIB."
     SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

 PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
         "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
         a)  whose dynamic locale (language, country, code set) shall be
             indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization';
         b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
         c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management station."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' in the General group
                 of this Printer MIB."
     SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

 PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
     STATUS      current
     DESCRIPTION
         "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
         a)  whose static locale (language, country, code set) shall be
             indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization';
         b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
         c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
             interpreted in this locale by the management station."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' in the General group
                 of this Printer MIB."
     SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

 Update/Add to General group:
 ----------------------------

 prtGeneralCurrentLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write many, read many
     MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
     STATUS      current
     DESCIRPTION
         "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
         language, country, and character set to be used when
         interpreting dynamically localized 'human-readable' string
         objects of type 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
         shall not apply to strings of 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString'
         or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

         Usage:  This object may be updated (repeatedly) during normal
         operation of this network printer or network print server."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings) and
                 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' (static strings)
                 objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
     ::= { prtGeneralEntry 2 }

 prtGeneralConsoleLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write many, read many
     MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
     STATUS      current
     DESCIRPTION
         "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
         language, country, and character set to be used when
         interpreting console localized 'human-readable' string
         objects of type 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
         shall not apply to strings of 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'
         or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

         Usage:  This object may be updated (repeatedly) during normal
         operation of this network printer or network print server."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings) and
                 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' (static strings)
                 objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
     ::= { prtGeneralEntry 10 }

 prtGeneralStaticLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
     MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write once, read many
     MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
     STATUS      current
     DESCIRPTION
         "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
         language, country, and character set to be used when
         interpreting statically localized 'human-readable' string
         objects of type 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
         shall not apply to strings of 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'
         or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

         Usage:  This object may be updated (at most) once at 'device
         install' time for this network printer or network print server."
     REFERENCE
         "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings) and
                 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings)
                 objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
     ::= { prtGeneralEntry 20 }

 Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString':
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

 prtCoverDescription
 prtInputDescription
 prtOutputDescription
 prtMarkerSuppliesDescription
 prtMediaPathDescription
 prtInterpreterDescription
 prtAlertDescription

 Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString':
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

 prtConsoleDisplayBufferText
 prtConsoleDescription

 Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString':
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 prtGeneralCurrentOperator
 prtGeneralServicePerson
 prtGeneralAdminName
 prtGeneralSerialNumber
 prtLocalizationLanguage
 prtLocalizationCountry
 prtInputMediaName
 prtInputName
 prtInputVendorName
 prtInputModel
 prtInputVersion
 prtInputSerialNumber
 prtInputMediaType
 prtInputMediaColor
 prtOutputName
 prtOutputVendorName
 prtOutputModel
 prtOutputVersion
 prtOutputSerialNumber
 prtMarkerColorantValue
 prtChannelProtocolVersion
 prtInterpreterLangLevel
 prtInterpreterLangVersion
 prtInterpreterVersion

Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740

---

From: Chris Wellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

Bob,

I agree with you that we are adding the localization at a very
late date.  The reason to do this is to correct a "process"
problem.  Ira and others submitted this proposal and requested
feedback some time ago.   Since the proposal was the last agenda
item in the weekly telecon it did not get discussed. Randy was 
unable to complete his work on it.  So, it never got the serious
review it should have even though the submitters followed the
"process".  

Normally, IETF working groups submit technical changes and
justifications via the mailing list for comments and technical
discussion.  Teleconferences are very infrequent. The reason is that
the teleconferences unfairly penalize working group members in remote
time zones, and they also penalize working group members who speak
English as a second language.  Email communication allows these members
to take the time they need to process each message and compose an
answer.  For reasons unknown, this group could only get things done
with the teleconferences, so they continued.

It seems appropriate to correct the process problem, and allow
this request to be reviewed.  Just so that we would get greater
technical coverage, I asked Dave Perkins (MIB god) to scrutinize
it for any problems, and he has done that.  So, we have
effectively added "extra manpower" to the review.  I hope you
agree with the principles involved here, even though it is incremental
effort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--==--==--==-  Chris Wellens             President & CEO
==--==--==--=  Email: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.iwl.com/
--==--==--==-  InterWorking Labs, Inc.   244 Santa Cruz Ave, Aptos, CA 95003
==--==--==--=  Tel:  +1 408 685 3190     Fax:  +1 408 662 9065
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------