Subject: Re: PMP> Top-25 alerts and proposed Appendix D to the printe

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Apr 97 14:13:40 EDT

Chuck,
     
     I have a couple comments relating to Appendix D and the MIB.
     
     1. Under Initial Power Up in the PrtSubUnitStatusTC column the text is 
     "all groups are: 
     Availability=Unknown+Off-line+Transitioning(5+32+64)".  Why is 
     Off-line (as in Intended state is Off-line) specified?
     
     2. I think the PrtSubUnitStatusTC column is hard to understand because 
     it is not consistent.  Sometimes it lists the category (e.g. 
     Availability), sometimes the state (e.g. Unknown) and sometimes just 
     the value (e.g. 5).  Why list "+ On-Line + Transitioning" for Input 
     Tray Low but not for Printing?  Values which may be different 
     depending upon implementation should either not be listed at all or 
     should be listed for each printer state.  I suggest putting just the 
     known values, e.g. for Marker Supply Empty:
     prtMarkerStatus
     Unavailable because broken(3) + Critical Alerts(16)
     
     Maybe there should then be a footnote to the table to the effect that 
     prtSubUnitStatusTC categories not specified in the table may have 
     different values depending upon implementation.
     
     3. Why list the older type specific codes in the prtAlertCode if they 
     are not recommended to be used?
     
     4. There is an existing table in the Mib (pg. 19) which lists the hr 
     "magic cookies".  This table should match the Appendix D.  I see two 
     differences.  1) Non Critical Alert Active lists idle or printing 
     while App D includes warmup as an option for Non Critical Alerts.  2) 
     Standby lists hrPrinterStatus as other while App D lists it as idle.
     
     5. Lloyd proposed some new text for Busy that it seemed there was 
     concensus upon, but the old text is still in the Mib.
     
     Stuart

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: PMP> Top-25 alerts and proposed Appendix D to the printe...
Author:  INTERNET:[email-masked] at CSERVE
Date:    4/15/97 11:11 AM

Folks,
     
     I have posted the proposed Appendix wording for the 
     Top-25 alerts document to the ftp site. See:
     
     ftp://pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/err3.doc 
     ftp://pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/err3.pdf
     
     It is rough but should provoke enough input to get 
     the desired result.
     
Chuck Adams
Tektronix, Inc.