Subject: PMP> Minutes of 4/22 Conference Call

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 06:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

The minutes of the 4/22 PMP conference call have been posted in

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pm/minutes/conf-call-970422.txt .doc .pdf

I have also attached the text version.

Printer MIB Teleconference Minutes
April 22, 1997

Participants:

 Lloyd Young
 Ron Bergman
 Ira McDonald
 Dave Kellerman
 Bob Pentecost
 Gail Songer
 Scott Isaacson
 Matt King
 Randy Turner
 Chuck Adams
 Harry Lewis
 Steve Thorne

CLARIFICATIONS FROM INTEROP TESTING:

The five issues in this group are postponed until next weeks call.  The 
proposal from Matt (items 1 - 4) was posted late last night and this 
will give everyone more time to review.  Bill Wagner was not available 
for issue number 5.

OLD ITEMS:

1. Top 25 Alert Conditions

  Bob Pentecost commented that the "off-line (no binary alerts)" entry 
did not show an entry in the alert table.  Bob also proposed that 
subUnitOffline (22) should be the proper entry in the alert table.  It 
was generally agreed that this would be a logical result and several 
implementations conform today.  Bob agreed to present a formal proposal 
for this change.  Bob also has several more comments on the alert table 
which he will also send to the mailing list.

2. RFC1213 references in Printer MIB

  Ron Bergman presented the results of his comparison of RFC1573 and 
RFC1213.  Actually, RFC1573 is an extension of the interfaces group of 
RFC1213.  Four objects in RFC1213 are deprecated, two of which are 
replaced with four new objects.  

  Ira McDonald pointed out the danger of replacing the reference to the 
interfaces group of RFC1213 with RFC1573, since RFC1573 is presently 
only a Draft standard.  The conclusion was that all we need is the new 
interface type enums and these are IANA registered.  Ron agreed to draft 
new text that references the IANA registry for the complete list of 
available interface enums.

3. Should a PDF type be included?

  Discussion of this subject was postponed until next week since Chuck 
Adams has not posted his proposal.

4. Should the phone:, fax: and email: tags be used in non 8-bit 
environments?  non-English environments?

  Ira discussed his proposal for three Textual Conventions for grouping 
all currently defined strings.  Randy also discussed his proposal that 
the current localization should apply to all read/write strings that are 
intended to be human readable and are not explicitly controlled by 
prtConsoleLocalization.  

  After much group discussion, it was agreed that Randy will review 
Ira's proposal and send a recommendation to the mailing list.  The goal 
is to allow the strings to be localized with a minimal impact to the 
document.

5. Invalid MAX-ACCESS clause on prtAlertIndex.

  Ira has concluded that it is impossible to write a v1/v2 compatible 
MIB that has Traps.  Ira will post a proposal to the mailing list and 
the group can review in next weeks call.

NEW ITEMS:

1. Conformance Major typo (Bob Pentecost 3/21/97):
  Included in latest draft.

2. prtGeneralPrinterName (Jay Martin 3/21/97):
  Included in latest draft.

3. New IETF Draft Review (Bill Wagner 4/4/97):
  Initial proposal modified, new item raised is #4.

4. Novell Channel Type Info (Scott Isaacson 4/16/97):
  It was agreed that the purpose of prtChannelInformation was to allow a 
client to obtain sufficient information to print.  Information 
concerning the channel that a management station may find useful is 
beyond the scope and intent of this object.  Thus Scott proposed that 
for PServer the necessary information is File Server Name and Queue Name 
for 3.X servers and Tree Name and Queue Name for 4.X servers.  The other 
information in the recent email was not required for a client to print 
and will not be included.  

  The channel table does not have to be a dynamic table. (i.e. If a 
server goes down, the entry for that server can remain.  The client must 
use some other method to discover the server is down.)

  Using Unicode can require a string length of 512 bytes for the PServer 
entries.  SNMP recommends 255 as a limit to allow for the case of a 
minimum packet size.  After much discussion it was proposed that we just 
accept 255 as the limit and be done with it.  Scott agreed to review all 
of the information discussed and submit a new proposal.

5. Reference to other MIB's in RFC (Bill Wagner 4/17/97):
  It was agreed that this text should be added.

6. Defect report in Printer MIB v2 (Ira McDonald 4/16/97):
  See OLD ITEMS #4.

7. prtAlertTime (Bob Pentecost 4/17/97):
  What should be the value of prtAlertTime if the agent cannot obtain 
any value of time.  The agreed response should be zero.  After further 
discussion it was agreed that Randy should clarify the description of 
prtAlertTime to indicate that it shall be equivalent to either sysUpTime 
or hrSystemUpTime.

8. Description for chPortHTTP (Ron Bergman 4/17/97):
  The requested change will be incorporated.

9. Traps - new info (Chris Wellens 4/17/97):
  The discussion will be deferred to the next call.  It was agreed that 
another test session will not be required.  But some additional 
independent testing is necessary.  Lloyd is looking at using Net Cube as 
a test package.  Possibly Jay Martin can assist?

10. Alert Alert (Harry Lewis 4/18/97):
  The description of the required data for a 
alertRemovalOfBinaryChangeEntry was found on page 56 of the latest MIB 
draft.  It was agreed that this is not where this information is 
expected and it should be moved or referenced.  Randy will investigate 
and propose a change.

    Ron Bergman
    4/23/97

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:05:51 -0400 (EDT)

Chuck,

>>   - Tektronix Phaser 550
>
> 	Sorry folks, This printer did not implement traps.
> 	Trying to test traps on it would be futile.

Hey, we still want one, anyway!  ;-)

Seriously, we are curious as to why Tektronix chose not to implement
traps, since the Phaser 550 otherwise has a pretty nice Printer MIB
implementation.  Care to comment on this?  (If not, no problem.)

	...jay