Subject: Re: PMP> Traps

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:03:24 -0500 (EST)

Ira,

> Why bother to have standard traps, if there's no
> standard way to register for them.  Why bother to have the
> idea of 'trap-directed polling', if you can't get the traps.
> Xerox folks think this seriously hampers the utility of the
> Printer MIB.

You're not alone in this concern.  You've stated the precise reason
why the PWG SENSE project was started, to design a method of
registering for async events (eg, traps) and to receive them in
a reasonably reliable manner.

> Perhaps it's worth having a (localized) fix
> imbedded in the Printer MIB V2.0 - certainly it's impossible
> to show interworking in traps, unless two vendors still 
> support the deprecated Party MIB (RFC 1447) - any volunteers?

Once we put the Job MIB to bed, perhaps we'll have some cycles
available to focus on the SENSE effort as a means of providing
this kind of capability, at least for printers.

	...jay