Subject: PMP> Discussion items for 4/22 Conference call

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:04:28 -0400

Hi folks,

As a result of the interpretability meeting and a couple of the
teleconferences, I had 4 to-do's on my plate.  Well, I just got around
to taking care of these (better late than ever -- right?).  I know that
there is some controversy about some of these, however I thought it best
to post them and let everyone take shots at them.

Ready.... Aim.... Fire!

The items:
1. Clarification of Unary and Binary event management.
2. Clarification that hrDeviceStatus should not be used to
   indicate installation status of options.
3. Clarification of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
   and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex by defining zero to
   mean does not have one.
4. Clarification of what should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges to
   be incremented.
My proposals:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Clarification of Unary and Binary event management.

a) The following paragraph should be inserted after paragraph 4 of
section 2.2.13.4.

    Note that there should never be redundant unary alerts
    in the alert table, where redundant is defined as two
    or more alerts having the same prtAlertGroup,
    prtAlertGroupIndex, prtAlertLocation, and prtAlertCode.  
    If a second unary change event of the same type occurs 
    on the same subunit and location, as an existing alert, 
    the existing alert should be removed from the alert 
    table and the new one added. For example if a media 
    size change occurs on input subunit 1, then some time 
    later a second media size change occurs on the same 
    subunit, the original alert would be removed and a new 
    one added.  However, if the second media size change 
    occurred on input subunit 2, both entries would appear 
    in the table unless the first had to be managed out due 
    to space constraints.

b) In the list of rules after paragraph 5 of section 2.2.13.4, first
rule refers to "simple" alerts.  I believe this reference should be
changed to "unary".

c) The following paragraph should be inserted before the last paragraph
of the section.

    In the event that a binary alert must be managed out of
    the alert table; when space allows, if the condition still
    exists, the alert should be re-added to the alert table
    even if there was no subsequent transition into the
    associated state.  The new entry will not have the same
    index as the original.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Clarification that hrDeviceStatus should not be used to
   indicate installation status of options.

Upon further thought, I feel that the MIB is clear enough on this point
and that there is no need for clarification.  As far as I know, Lexmark
was the only company that misused hrDeviceStatus, and I think that was a
matter of laziness rather than misunderstanding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Clarification of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
   and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex by defining zero to
   mean does not have one.

a) The description of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex refers to the
"Control Language Interpreter".  Should this be "Job Control Language
Interpreter"?

b) Replace the last sentence of the prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
description, "Must be 1 or greater", with "A value of zero indicates
that there is no current Control Language Interpreter for this channel".

c) Replace the last sentence of the prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex
description, "Must be 1 or greater", with "A value of zero indicates
that there is no default Page Description Language Interpreter for this
channel".

-------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Clarification of what should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges to
   be incremented.

a) In the first sentence of the prtGeneralConfigChanges description,
replace "media size" with "any media attributes".

b) Replace the third paragraph of the prtGeneralConfigChanges
description with the following.

    The following are examples of actions that would cause the
    prtGeneralConfigChanges to be incremented: Adding an output
    bin, changing the media in a sensing input tray, changing the
    value of prtInputMediaType via SNMP.

c) As it is difficult to write rules that make it obvious which actions
should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges, I propose the following appendix.
What is as important as what I put in the list, is what I left out.  If
we decide to include this appendix, it warrants close review.

    Appendix X - Actions that constitute a configuration change

    Not all changes within  the printer are configures to be
    configuration changes, and as such increment
    prtGeneralConfigChanges.  Below is a list of actions that 
    should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges to be incremented.

    1) An action that results in a row being added to or removed 
       from the prtStorageRefTable, prtDeviceRefTable,
       prtInputTable, prtOutputTable, prtMarkerTable, 
       prtMarkerSuppliesTable, prtMarkerColorantTable, 
       prtMediaPathTable, prtChannelTable, prtInterpreterTable, 
       prtConsoleDisplayBufferTable, or prtConsoleLightTable.

    2) An action that results in a change to 
       prtInputMediaDimFeedDirChosen, prtInputMediaDimXFeedDirChosen, 
       prtInputMaxCapacity, prtInputMediaName, prtInputName, 
       prtInputSecurity, prtInputMediaWeight, prtInputMediaType, 
       prtInputMediaColor, prtInputMediaFormParts, 
       prtInputMediaLoadTimeout, or prtInputNextIndex.

    3) An action that results in a change to prtOutputMaxCapacity,
       prtOutputName, prtOutputSecurity, prtOutputMaxDimFeedDir, 
       prtOutputMaxDimXFeedDir, prtOutputMinDimFeedDir, 
       prtOutputMinDimXFeedDir, prtOutputStackingOrder, 
       prtOutputPageDeliveryOrientation, prtOutputBursting, 
       prtOutputDecollating, prtOutputPageCollated, or 
       prtOutputOffsetStacking.

    4) An action that results in a change to 
       prtMarkerSuppliesMaxCapacity.

    5) An action that results in a change to 
       prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex, 
       prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex, prtChannelState, 
       or prtChannelIfIndex.

    6) An action that results in a change to 
       prtInterpreterDefaultOrientation, 
       prtInterpreterDefaultCharSetIn, 
       prtInterpreterDefaultCharSetOut.

-- The End --

Matt

-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark
[email-masked]