Subject: PMP> What constitutes a config change

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:49:48 -0400

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

We had some trouble with config change counter at Stardust and I want to get it
right. I don't think we really tested config change thoroughly and I want to
see if we have consensus on what constitutes a config change. The MIB says
things that change the printer's capabilities and excludes things like the
level of supplies or temporary bin removal to replenish supplies. Great. I
would add to these exclusions (not asking for a MIB update, just consensus)
changes in localization, since these do not really effect the printer
capabilities.

Here's my list of what should result in a config counter bump were they to
change:

Paper (Input) Size
Output Size
Input Capacity
Output Capacity
Total Number of Input Trays
Total Number of Output Bins
Defaults (Input, Output, Marker, Media Path)
Media Path Size (only likely on highly sophisticated printers)
Total Number Of Interpreters
Total Number of Channels (probably fixed in most cases)
Total Number of Interfaces (probably ignored by most of today's implementations)
Output features supported (optional)

Here's some I'm not sure about:

Overall Storage Capacity (not storage used)
Change in FLASH size installed
Tray linking
Media Name

I'd like to hear what others think. I don't know if we should necessarily go
any farther with documenting this, I guess it depends on how much controversy
(if any) there is over this list.

---

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:01:39 -0700

Harry,

I would be happy to add this to the FAQ once you have a consensus.

Gail