Subject: PMP> Discussion items for 4/22 Conference call

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Apr 97 11:40:27 EDT

Information for this conference call

Date: Tuesday April 22nd
Time:  4:00 EDT (1:00 PDT, 2:00 MDT, 3:00 CDT)
Phone #:  423-673-6717
Access code:  820010
Duration: 2 hours

* CLARIFICATIONS FROM INTEROP TESTING
What do we want to do with these items. On Items 1 and 5, Matt and
Bill started some discussion that do not see to reach any consensus
on any proposed wording changes. On Items 2, 3, and 4, are these
clarifications still required?

1. Matt King - Unary and Binary alert table event management.

2. Matt King - Clarify that subunit status for hrDeviceStatus should 
not indicate down if the interface is not installed.

3. Matt King - Clarify that (0) in prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex 
and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex means do not have one.

4. Matt King - Clarify what constitutes a config change in 
prtGeneralConfigChanges.

5. Bill Wagner - Clarify what prtInterpreterFeedAddressability means.

* OLD ITEMS

1. Top 25 Alert Conditions
Chuck Adams has submitted a proposed write-up.

2.  RFC1213 references in Printer MIB 
Ron Bergman will look at evolution of the interfaces group (RFC1573) and 
provide a comparison to the Interfaces group of RFC1213 which our MIB is
based on.

3. Should PDF type be included?
Chuck Adams will make proposal to add type-2 enum for PDF.

4.  Should the phone:, fax: and email: tags be used in non 8-bit environments? 
non-English environments?
Current localization will be modified to say it should also apply to other 
r/w octet strings.  - Randy

5.  Invalid MAX-ACCESS clause on prtAlertIndex [Ira McDonald  3/18/97]
Harry Lewis  will address backward compatible issue with Ira and try to 
get clarification. Sounds like SNMPv1 MANDATED prtAlertIndex as not 
accessible and SNMPv2 MANDATES accessible-for-notify. Lack of backward 
compatibility! This object is in var bind list for the trap, it,s still 
not accessible where it,s defined in the MIB, so today,s products should 
be ok. Perhaps this is just a documentation issue. - Harry, Ira.

* NEW ITEMS
For brevity sakes, I am listing the name of the person and the date and 
subject of their e-mail raising the proposed change. With this information,
you should be able to find the proposed change and follow any discussion
regarding this change.

1. Bob Pentecost  3/21/97   Conformance Major Typo
2. Jay Martin     3/21/97   prtGeneralAdminName now becomes 
prtGeneralPrinterName
3. Bill Wagner    4/4/97    New IETF Draft Review
     Bill's initial proposal was modified and new items raised in the next
     item.
4. Scott Isaacson 4/16/97   Novell Channel Type Info
5. Bill Wagner    4/17/97   Reference to other MIB's in RFC
6. Ira McDonald   4/16/97   Defect report in Printer MIB v2 - Localization
7. Bob Pentecost  4/17/97   prtAlertTime
8. Ron Bergman    4/17/97   Description for chPortHTTP
9. Chris Wellens  4/17/97   Traps - new info
10. Harry Lewis   4/18/97   Alert Alert

Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740

---

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:06:23 -0700

Lloyd,

I am still looking for a definition of cover and interlock to worm it's way
into the specification.

Gail

---

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:53:16 -0700

Lloyd,

I would be happy to add definitions for these words to the FAQ page, but I
don't beleive that we  came up with definitions with which the group was happy.
Going back through the discussion, I found the following definitions.  Comments
on what the FAQ should actually say?

My initial attempt:

A "door" is something that protects the mechanical insides of a device.

An "interlock" connects two components of a device or two devices.  An example
of an interlock is mechanical latch on an optional sorter that connects the
base printer with the sorter.

Don Wright replied:

I would define an interlock as:

A switch or sensor used to stop operation of the device due to the
opening of a door, cover or other component of the device in order
to prevent injury to a human or improper operation of the device.

Bill Wager:

    " Cover or Door: The covering to an opening in the printer enclosure
     which may be removed or opened to provide access to an area or object
     within the printer. A Cover or door open condition may be sensed; if
     sensed, the cover open condition may act as an interlock with to
     inhibit printer processes or operations which should not be performed
     with the cover open."

     I would say that an interlock involves sensing a condition as a
     prerequisite to allowing some printer operation which might involve
     danger, damage, or even just deteriorated  quality if the required
     condition is not met. An interlock condition could be that a
     particular door were closed. But it does not have to be an open door
     or even a mechanical irregularity. Some printers would use a toner out
     indication to inhibit further printing. This, to me, is also an
     interlock since there was no inherent reason why the imaging process
     could not be performed. I would even regard a operator's key provision
     as an interlock if the key must be in place to print.