Subject: PMP> Final draft of my clarifications from the 4/29 conference call

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:16:44 -0400

Hi folks,

Here is the final draft of my clarifications to the MIB.

--Matt

The items:
1. Clarification of binary event management.
2. Clarification of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
   and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex by defining zero to
   mean does not have one.
3. Clarification of what should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges to
   be incremented.

1. Clarification of binary event management.

a) In section 2.2.13.4, all references to "simple" alerts should be
changed to "unary".

b) The following paragraph should be inserted before the last paragraph
of the section.

"In the event that a critical binary alert must be managed out of the
alert table; when space allows, if the condition still exists, the alert
must be re-added to the alert table even if there was no subsequent
transition into the associated state.  It is recommended that this be
done for non-critical binary alerts as well.  Note that the new alert
entry will not have the same index as the origional."

3. Clarification of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
   and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex by defining zero to
   mean does not have one.

a) The description of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex refers to the
"Control Language Interpreter".  Should this be "Job Control Language
Interpreter"?

b) Replace the last sentence of the prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
description, "Must be 1 or greater", with "A value of zero indicates
that there is no current Control Language Interpreter for this channel".

c) Replace the last sentence of the prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex
description, "Must be 1 or greater", with "A value of zero indicates
that there is no default Page Description Language Interpreter for this
channel".

4. Clarification of what should cause prtGeneralConfigChanges to
   be incremented.

a) In the first sentence of the prtGeneralConfigChanges description,
replace "media size" with "any media attributes".

b) Replace the the prtGeneralConfigChanges description with the
following.

"Counts configuration changes within the printer.  A configuration
change is defined to be an action that results in a change to any MIB
variable other than those that reflect status or level or those that act
as counters or gauges.  In addition, any action that results in a row
being added to or deleted from any Printer MIB table is considered a
configuration change.  Such changes will often affect the capability of
the printer to service certain types of print jobs.

Management applications may cache infrequently changed configuration 
information about sub-units on the printer. This object should be
incremented whenever the agent wishes such applications to invalidate
that cache and re-download all of this configuration information,
thereby signaling a change in the printer's configuration.

The following are examples of actions that would cause the
prtGeneralConfigChanges to be incremented: Adding an output bin,
changing the media in a sensing input tray, changing the value of
prtInputMediaType via SNMP.

As an additional example, this counter would not be incremented when an
input tray is removed or the level of an input device changes."

-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark
[email-masked]