Subject: PMP> Minutes of 4/29 PMP Conference Call

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:33:12 -0400

Classification:

One the phone: (pardon misspelled names)

Ira McDonald
Jay Martin
Bob Pentecost
Chuck Adams
Ron Bergman
Matt King
Lloyd Young
David Kellerman
Harry Lewis

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Meeting was guided by Lloyd's 4/48 agenda

First item covered was "Old Item (1)" the Top 25 alerts. Reviewed Chuck's table
and Bob's review comments.

 - We decided that we should call this task the Top 25 (21?)
   conditions, not alerts. Not every condition we're dealing with
   is an alert.

 - Big discussion about how to define Offline. As usual, we did not
   reach consensus on how to DEFINE off-line, but we did agree that
   off-line should be treated as a separate condition. We decided
   that an off-line alert table entry should reference GroupIndex 5
   (the General Group) with subUnitIndex (-1).

 - We decided that markerSupplyLow (or missing) conditions alert table
   entries should reference the MarkerSuppliesGroup (11) and not the
   marker group. Marker supplies, however is indexed to a marker.
   Subunit status should reflect the correct marker for the supply
   that went low or is missing.

 - Bob Penetcost proposed an excellent method for handling the toner
   low with continuation (button) scenario. Bob will write up and
   submit the proposal.

 - We agreed to remove references to old prtAlertCodes when they have
   been superseded by the new generic codes.

 - Chuck Adams recorded finer details than what are represented in
   these minutes and will modify and post the updated table.

Next, we addressed Matt King's clarifications which are in his 4/21
e-mail.

 - Matt's item 1a (Clarification of redundant unary events) will be
   removed. It will be up to the implementation when to remove
   redundant unarys (when the latest unary is added or with general
   table aging and management). This satisfies an objection Bill
   Wagner had made to Matt's proposal to always manage out redundant
   unarys.

 - Matt's item 1c (managing persistent binary alerts back into a
   crowded table) was accepted with the emphasis still on making
   your table large enough that critical events should not get
   managed out in the first place. Also, there is a clarification
   that, by definition, critical binaries MUST be managed back in
   when other conditions are cleared and warning binaries can be
   managed back into a crowded table (i.e. toner low).

 - Matt's item 3 (clarification of prtChannelCurrentJobCntlLangIndex
   and prtChannelDefaultPageDescLangIndex) index = 0 if none was
   accepted. It was further emphasized that prtAlertGroupIndex and
   prtAlertSubUnitIndex are -1 and will remain that way under similar
   conditions.

 - Matt's item 4 addressed what constitutes a config change. Both Matt
   and Harry had submitted "lists". Jay had written a "philosophy".
   We concluded a list could always be wrong but a philosophy could
   never be misinterpreted ;-) so it is better to stick with Jay's
   paragraph which basically says you either have an ATTRIBUTE or
   NOT (NOT = Level, Gauge, Status or Counter). If an ATTRIBUTE
   changes, that's a config change. Obtuse example is change in the
   description of the Output bin. Even THIS should bump the config
   change counter.

 - Harry gets to clarify the prtInterpreterFeed and XFeed
   Addressability (I wonder why?).

 - Ron's draft regarding IANA registry of Interfaces was accepted

 - Chuck's PDF enum definition was accepted.

 - We seemed to buz through the rest due to short time and we seem
   to have left openings for some further discussion even though
   we only have until Friday to get final comments to Randy.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems