Subject: PMP> Traps

From: Chris Wellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:33:48 -0800 (PST)

Another item for the list of outstanding issues is the traps.
We had 100% failure from all vendors on this at the
interoperability testing in February.  (These were part of the
IWL tests.)  At first, we thought there was something wrong with
the test, but when we loaded up our agent simulator with RFC
1759 we were able to generate a trap and test it just fine.  I
suspect that the printers that did support traps were configured
in such a way so that the trap was not getting sent to the IWL
Test Suite, but rather another application on the system.  At
least, I hope that was the situation.  Harry's earlier email on
this (included below) seems to confirm this.

We will need to come up with a solution in order to advance to
DRAFT standard.  The solution could be a standard method of
registering traps for printers, or we could delete the
discussion of traps entirely.  Whether traps are mandatory or
optional, we are still faced with the requirement of having two
interoperable (consistently implemented) implementations of the
feature.  Right now, we don't have that.

Suggestions are welcome!

Harry's original mail:

("Harry Lewis) @ SMTP
Date: 02/20/97 09:02:51 AM
Subject: PMP> Registering for Traps

I don't have a specific proposal at this point but I'd like to raise the
idea of a standard method of registering for traps. I think we discovered
at the bake-off that every vendor has a means to register buried in their
private mib somewhere. This means, a management app wanting traps, has to
know each vendors means of registering.

Is anyone following the development of SNMPv3 to know if this will be covered,
or if it's handled in the (defunct) v2?

I wouldn't even care if it was printer MIB specific, although I guess thats
some form of SNMP blaspheme.

Anyone care to share ideas on this? Should we forget it and just look to IPP
for the answer?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 20:32:27 -0500

Chris,

> interoperability testing in February.  (These were part of the

This was at least in part because the IWL tests were broken.

> 1759 we were able to generate a trap and test it just fine.  I

I would have suspected that it would have worked with your simulator!
That is what you developed the code against.  The simulator must not be
simulating everything because ...

> Test Suite, but rather another application on the system.  At

I know the IWL suite was getting traps, because it errored out every
time my printer sent one!

> [Text Deleted]

Matt

-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Kirkham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:27:37 -0800 (PST)

> That is what you developed the code against.  The simulator must not be

Actually, the code was developed against the CMU "trapsend" program, if
you'd like to pick nits..

> time my printer sent one!

You should contact [email-masked] with the error that occured (or, for
that matter, should have brought it up while I was at the interop
testing).  I don't recall any mention of problems prior to now.  As far as
I'm aware, all of the problems were fixed in that beta version that was
being used prior to the interop testing.  We later discovered a possible
problem that only applies to SNMPv2 traps, but this has since been fixed.
Perhaps you were sending SNMPv2 traps, however, and happened to bump into
this problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--==--==--==-  Michael Kirkham          Software Engineer
==--==--==--=  Email: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.iwl.com/
--==--==--==-  InterWorking Labs, Inc.  244 Santa Cruz Ave, Aptos, CA 95003
==--==--==--=  Tel:  +1 408 685 3190    Fax:  +1 408 662 9065
---------------------------------------------------------------------------