Subject: PMP> Defect report in Printer MIB v2 - Localization

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 18:35:53 PDT

Hi PWG folks,                                  Wednesday (16 April 1997)

The client software team I work with here at Xerox has recently been
meeting with some of our colleagues from Fuji Xerox (Japan).  They noted
that the following original Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759) text is STILL
present in 'draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-01.txt' in section 2.2.1
'General Printer':

"Localization is only performed on those strings in the MIB that
are explicitly marked as being localized.  All other character
strings are returned in ASCII."

Fortunately the Printer MIB specified the 'non-localized' strings as the
base ASN.1 type 'OCTET STRING' and not the dubious IETF SMIv2 type
'DisplayString' (explicitly constrained to 'NVT ASCII').  Nonetheless,
ASCII is a singularly useless character set in the Japanese domestic
market and in most of FX's Asia/Pacific markets for descriptive
information.  Useful character sets include ISO 2022-JP and Unicode
UCS-2.

Our Xerox client team and our Fuji Xerox colleagues would like to
request that this defect be repaired by changing the above text to say:

"Localization is only performed on those strings in the MIB that
are explicitly marked as being localized.  All other character
strings are returned in the fixed locale (established at 'device
install' time) of this network printer or network print server
(by means outside the scope of this Printer MIB)."

On a related note, we would like to observe that the encodings in the
'prtGeneralCurrentOperator' and 'prtGeneralServicePerson' are equally
flawed, because they depend on:  1) English keywords (eg, 'fax: '); and
2) ASCII linefeeds (0x0A).  Forms control characters translate poorly,
if at all, across character sets.

In another US Xerox example, for high-end IBM mainframe printers, the
ideal character set for a 'fixed locale' is EBCDIC.  Don't laugh -
monitoring of such printers via the Printer MIB is a real future
requirement at Xerox.

Best Regards,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:28:43 -0400 (EDT)

Ira,

Perhaps you've just opened Pandora's Box with this issue, hopefully not.

> (by means outside the scope of this Printer MIB)."

I personally don't have a problem with the general notion of allowing
for different locales in place of ASCII (as stated in the MIB), HOWEVER,
this should definitely require some sort of MIB object that states what
which locale has been defined for this situation.

If not, then how can a mgmt app handle such strings without risking the
chance of seriously breaking itself?

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------