Subject: PMP> Justification for adding prtGeneralStartupPage and prtGeneralBannerPage objects to the draft Printer MIB

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:31:11 PST

One of the goals for the Printer MIB has been to provide remotely what
printers commonly provide locally as part of their console.  In other 
words, the Printer MIB would permit printer vendors to produce lower
cost versions of their products by being able to eliminate the console
entirely and depend on a management application using SNMP to provide
the console functionality.  For printers that retain the locale console,
the Printer MIB provides an additional way to setup the printer remotely.

Consequently, any console local function that is commonly implemented 
should be included in the Printer MIB in order to meet the above goal.

Two capabilities commonly implemented in local consoles were found 
that had not been included in the RFC 1759.  They were objects to control
whether a startup page is automatically printed when the printer is 
powered on and whether a job banner page should be automatically generated
by the printer or depend on the printing system to provide the banner
page, if one is desired.  Therefore the prtGeneralStartupPage and the
prtGeneralBannerPage objects were added to a new conditionally mandatory
group, called prtAuxiliarySheetGroup.