Subject: PMP> Localization Proposal for Printer MIB Strings

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:38:21 PDT

Hi Jay Martin, Harry Lewis, and PWG folks           Sunday 20 April 1997

The following is a specific proposal to clarify:

a)  dynamic string localization (via 'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization'),
    by using a new TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'
    to make explicit the SYNTAX of all dynamic locale strings;

a)  console string localization (via 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization'),
    by using a new TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString'
    to make explicit the SYNTAX of all console locale strings;

c)  static string localization (via 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization'),
    by using a new TEXTUAL-CONVENTION 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString'
    to make explicit the SYNTAX of all static locale strings
    (ie, with a static locale established at 'device install' time)
    and by adding the above new object to the in the General group.

In all cases, the strings of interest are 'human-readable' strings and
NOT 'binary' strings (if any are added to the Printer MIB).

The naming and definition of the three new textual conventions described
in this proposal are consistent with the following prior art:

a)  'DisplayString' type from RFC 1213 (SNMPv1) and RFC 1903 (SNMPv2);

b)  'InternationalDisplayString' type from RFC 1514 (Host Resources).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434/2697

PS - Jay - Nancy and I will travel home shortly after Friday (2 May) and
should be at home in northern Michigan no later than Thursday (15 May).

>--------------- Clarification of String Localization -----------------<

Add three new textual conventions:
----------------------------------

PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose dynamic locale (language, country, code set) shall be
            indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization';
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' in the General group
                of this Printer MIB."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose dynamic locale (language, country, code set) shall be
            indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization';
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' in the General group
                of this Printer MIB."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type for human-readable (NOT binary) string objects:
        a)  whose static locale (language, country, code set) shall be
            indicated by the value of 'prtGeneralStaticLocalization';
        b)  whose value (when updated by an SNMP Set-Request) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management agent;
        c)  whose value (when returned by an SNMP Get-Response) shall be
            interpreted in this locale by the management station."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' in the General group
                of this Printer MIB."
    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING

Update/Add to General group:
----------------------------

prtGeneralCurrentLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write many, read many
    MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
    STATUS      current
    DESCIRPTION
        "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
        language, country, and character set to be used when
        interpreting dynamically localized 'human-readable' string
        objects of type 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
        shall not apply to strings of 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString'
        or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

        Usage:  This object may be updated (repeatedly) during normal
        operation of this network printer or network print server."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings) and
                'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' (static strings)
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 2 }

prtGeneralConsoleLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write many, read many
    MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
    STATUS      current
    DESCIRPTION
        "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
        language, country, and character set to be used when
        interpreting console localized 'human-readable' string
        objects of type 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
        shall not apply to strings of 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'
        or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

        Usage:  This object may be updated (repeatedly) during normal
        operation of this network printer or network print server."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings) and
                'prtGeneralStaticLocalization' (static strings)
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 10 }

prtGeneralStaticLocalization OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      Integer32 (1..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS  read-write              -- write once, read many
    MIN-ACCESS  read-only               -- move to Conformance section
    STATUS      current
    DESCIRPTION
        "The value of 'prtLocalizationIndex' corresponding to the
        language, country, and character set to be used when
        interpreting statically localized 'human-readable' string
        objects of type 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString'.  This object
        shall not apply to strings of 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString'
        or 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString' type.

        Usage:  This object may be updated (at most) once at 'device
        install' time for this network printer or network print server."
    REFERENCE
        "See:   'prtGeneralCurrentLocalization' (dynamic strings) and
                'prtGeneralConsoleLocalization' (console strings)
                objects in the General group of this Printer MIB."
    ::= { prtGeneralEntry 20 }

Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtCurrentLocaleDisplayString':
----------------------------------------------------------------------

prtCoverDescription
prtInputDescription
prtOutputDescription
prtMarkerSuppliesDescription
prtMediaPathDescription
prtInterpreterDescription
prtAlertDescription

Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtConsoleLocaleDisplayString':
----------------------------------------------------------------------

prtConsoleDisplayBufferText
prtConsoleDescription

Change the SYNTAX of these objects to 'PrtStaticLocaleDisplayString':
---------------------------------------------------------------------

prtGeneralCurrentOperator
prtGeneralServicePerson
prtGeneralAdminName
prtGeneralSerialNumber
prtLocalizationLanguage
prtLocalizationCountry
prtInputMediaName
prtInputName
prtInputVendorName
prtInputModel
prtInputVersion
prtInputSerialNumber
prtInputMediaType
prtInputMediaColor
prtOutputName
prtOutputVendorName
prtOutputModel
prtOutputVersion
prtOutputSerialNumber
prtMarkerColorantValue
prtChannelProtocolVersion
prtInterpreterLangLevel
prtInterpreterLangVersion
prtInterpreterVersion

>--------------- Clarification of String Localization -----------------<

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:54:20 -0400 (EDT)

Ira,

It appears that your newest proposal fully addresses all of my previous
concerns and questions.  Very nice job, Ira.

	...jay

PS:  It'll be good to get back home, eh?

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:58:52 PDT

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the compliment.  Hopefully, someone else read my
proposal too.  Harry Lewis, do you object to my proposal?
See you (smile) all at the telecon tomorrow.

Bye,