Subject: Re[2]: PMP> Questions on RFC1759

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 21:02:09 -0500

Perhaps some SNMP guru will correct me, but my understanding is that 
     RFC1759 presented a MIB in compliance with SMI v2 not SNMPv2. I 
     believe that a VI agent does just fine with the  MIB. Indeed the trap 
     is defined in both SNMPv1 and v2 form. A management application 
     unfamiliar with SMI V2 does have problems compiling the MIB. The 
     Printer Working Group  did disseminate an unguaranteed VI version of 
     the MIB about 1-1/2 years ago and this should be in the PWG archives. 
     
     Bill Wagner

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: PMP> Questions on RFC1759
Author:  [email-masked] at Internet
Date:    3/17/97 8:44 AM

Harish nachnani wrote:
> 
> 1. RFC1759 follows snmpv2 format conventions. What if the
> agent only supported snmpv1. Is there a v1 version of 1759.mib ?
     
I don't think there has been one published, however, I believe that 
there are a few tools out there that will convert MIBs to v1 format. 
The Pro version of SMICng is supposed to (www.snmpinfo.com) and I 
believe that there used to be some agents on the internet to which you 
could send a MIB to have it converted.  Also, a few well written emacs 
macros will do the trick (that is how I converted the MIB to v1 format 
some time back).
     
Can anyone else help on this?
     
> 
> 2. If a printer does not support console buffer or marker or
> colorant etc, what should be the query response from the agents 
> for these objects ?
     
Pretty much what you would expect, an attempt to GET an instance of an 
object that does not exist should return noSuchName.  An attempt to 
GETNEXT an object that has no instances (an empty table) should return 
the first instance of the next object in the device's MIB tree.
     
Example: GETNEXT prtConsoleDisplayBufferText
         GETRESPONSE prtConsoleOnTime.1.1 = 0
     
> 
> 3.  In mib walk interop test results what does NV stand for ?
     
That particular agent had no value for that instance of the object in 
question.
     
> Thanks
> Harish.
     
Matt
     
-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and 
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily 
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark 
[email-masked]

---

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:51:56 -0500

Bill, Harish,

I should have made the point in my reply that SNMPv2 and SMIv2 are
unreleated.  I just assumed that what Harish ment was SMIv2.  I believe
that Bill is absolutely correct (Not that I am a guru).

--Matt

> Can anyone else help on this?
<Lines erased>