Subject: PMP> Comments on 3-14-97 Printer MIB Draft

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:33:32 -0700

Thanks Randy for the updated Printer MIB document. It's good to see what's 
been updated, in spite of the line wrap problem making for tough reading.

I have the following four comments:
(page references are to the ones printed in the document)

1) (page 110) Is there a problem with having quotes within a DESCRIPTION 
field? See prtConsoleDisable for an example.

2) (page 110) prtConsoleDisable: The DESCRIPTION does not have information 
for the values operatorConsoleEnabledLevel1(5), 
operatorConsoleEnabledLevel2(6) and operatorConsoleEnabledLevel3(7). The 
following (as agreed at a PWG meeting) should be added:

        If the object prtConsoleDisable has the value 
'operatorConsoleEnabledLevel1',
        'operatorConsoleEnabledLevel2' or 'operatorConsoleEnabledLevel3'
        then limited input is accepted from the operator console; the
        limitations are product specific, however, the limitations are
        generally less restrictive for operatorConsoleEnabledLevel1 than
        for operatorConsoleEnabledLeve2, which is less restrictive than
        operatorConsoleEnabledLevel3.

3) (page 127) prtInputSwitchingGroup: Object prtInputManualFeedTimeout 
should be prtInputMediaLoadTimeout.

4) (pages 76-77) Input Switching Group: These objects have been worked over 
on the mailing list quite a bit, mainly by Angelo Caruso (Xerox) and 
myself. The agreed upon changes can be found at 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/inputsw2.doc which is repeated 
below (without revision marks).

-- The Input Switching Group
--
-- The input switching group allows the administrator to set the
-- input subunit timeout for the printer and to control the automatic
-- input subunit switching by the printer when an input subunit becomes
-- empty.
--
-- This group is optional. However, to claim conformance to this group,
-- it is required to implement every object in the group.

prtInputMediaLoadTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      Integer32
   MAX-ACCESS   read-write
   MIN-ACCESS   read-only
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
      "When the printer is not able to print due to a subunit being
      empty or the requested media must be manually loaded, the printer
      will wait for the duration (in seconds) specified by this object.
      Upon expiration of the timeout, the printer will take the action
      specified by prtInputNextIndex.

      The event which causes the printer to enter the waiting state
      is product specific. If the printer is not waiting for manually
      fed media, it may switch from an empty subunit to a different
      subunit without waiting for the timeout to expire.

      A value of (-1) implies 'other' or 'infinite' which translates
      to 'wait forever'. The action which causes printing to continue
      is product specific. A value of (-2) implies 'unknown'."
::= { prtInputEntry 24 }

prtInputNextIndex OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      Integer32
   MAX-ACCESS   read-write
   MIN-ACCESS   read-only
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
      "The value of prtInputIndex corresponding to the input subunit
       which will be used when this input subunit is emptied and the
       timeout specified by prtInputMediaLoadTimeout expires. A value
       of zero(0) indicates that auto input switching will not occur
       when this input subunit is emptied. If the timeout specified by
       prtInputLoadMediaTimeout expires and this value is zero(0), the
       job will be aborted. A value of (-1) means other.
       The value (-2) means 'unknown' and specifically indicates that
       an implementation specific method will determine the next input
       subunit to use at the time this subunit is emptied and the
       timeout expires. The value(-3) means input switching is not
       supported for this subunit."
::= { prtInputEntry 26 }

"See you" at the phone conference on Friday.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------