Subject: PMP> cover -v- interlock

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:39:29 -0800

So I am trying to explain the common printer mib some native Japanese speakers.
 This experience is truely an eye opener; some of the phrases that we use to
describe the system don't translate well.

Currently I seem to have a problem with door and interlock and, unfortunately,
1759 does not define the terms.  Can anyone supply a good definition of the
terms?

My attempts:

A "door" is something that protects the mechanical insides of a device.

An "interlock" connects two components of a device or two devices.  An example
of an interlock is mechanical latch on an optional sorter that connects the
base printer with the sorter.

Gail

-- 

Gail Songer                                             Electronics For Imaging
[email-masked]                                 2855 Campus Drive
(415) 286-7235                                          San Mateo, CA 94403

---

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 97 16:49:16 EST

>A "door" is something that protects the mechanical insides of a device.

This one sounds good to me.

>base printer with the sorter.

I would define an interlock as: 

A switch or sensor used to stop operation of the device due to the 
opening of a door, cover or other component of the device in order 
to prevent injury to a human or improper operation of the device.

Don

---

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:49:47 -0700

I prefer Gail's definition for interlock. Don's definition implies that 
something dangerous to a person or the printer can happen and I don't think 
that's always the case.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From:  Don Wright[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Friday, March 07, 1997 2:49 PM
To:  Gail Songer
Cc:  pmp%pwg.org
Subject:  Re: PMP> cover -v- interlock

Don

---

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Mar 97 18:57:35 EST

Actually, I have never heard an interlock described
in the way Gail described it.  In every case I am
aware of, an interlock (in this context) is used to:

1) stop the daisy wheel printer when the top cover
     is opened.
2) prevent you from moving the gear shift from
     park unless the brake is depressed.
3) etc.

When 1759 was developed, we discussed sensors
and switches in the context of an interlock so that
when the cartridge was missing from a laser printer,
an INTERLOCK would prevent the printer from being
used.  In this case there is no cover open yet the
desire is to signal a condition that prevents or
has stopped printing due to some mechanical
irregularity.

Don

To: pmp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com ("'PWG-pmp'") @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Don Wright)
From: bpenteco%boi.hp.com @ interlock.lexmark.com (Bob Pentecost) @ SMTP
Date: 03/07/97 04:49:47 PM
Subject: RE: PMP> cover -v- interlock

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------

Don

---

From: Andy Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 17:27:42 -0800

My recollection matches Don's.  An interlock in this context is something that stops the printer from operating for reasons of safety or protection.

	andy

   Andy Davidson     503-685-3033     FAX: 503-685-3063      [email-masked]
    Product Marketing  Color Printing Division  Tektronix  http://www.tek.com/Color_Printers/
                Ce message represente uniquement l'opinion de son auteur et n'engage en
                aucune facon son employeur.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Don Wright [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Saturday, March 08, 1997 3:58 PM
To:	Bob Pentecost
Cc:	'PWG-pmp'
Subject:	RE: PMP> cover -v- interlock

Don

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Caruso,Angelo)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:00:30 PST

I prefer Don's definition since that is how we define it here at Xerox. 
 It always implies a switch or sensor, not merely a mechanical 
 connection. Besides, if it did not imply some form of sensor then how 
 would we detect it to produce an alert?

Angelo

----------
From: [email-masked]
To: "'PWG-pmp'"
Cc: Bob Pentecost
Subject: RE: PMP> cover -v- interlock
Date: Friday, March 07, 1997 3:49PM

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------

Don

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:35:58 -0500

Ah, the meaning given by a definition is in the mind of the reader, 
     not the writer. 
     
     One problem we have had with the term 'cover' was that it could be 
     interpreted as the 'skin' or outer enclosure of the printer. Door has 
     the appropriate  connotation of referring to an openable aperture in 
     the printer, but suggests a vertical hung hinged cover. I certainly 
     would not restrict door to the "mechanical insides of a device", since 
     it can open to electronics, toner, paper, whatever.
     
     The MIB does appear to  use cover and door interchangably, and we 
     should clarify that that is intended (if it is intended). 
     
     I would suggest something like:
     
     " Cover or Door: The covering to an opening in the printer enclosure 
     which may be removed or opened to provide access to an area or object 
     within the printer. A Cover or door open condition may be sensed; if 
     sensed, the cover open condition may act as an interlock with to 
     inhibit printer processes or operations which should not be performed 
     with the cover open."

     I would say that an interlock involves sensing a condition as a 
     prerequisite to allowing some printer operation which might involve 
     danger, damage, or even just deteriorated  quality if the required 
     condition is not met. An interlock condition could be that a 
     particular door were closed. But it does not have to be an open door 
     or even a mechanical irregularity. Some printers would use a toner out 
     indication to inhibit further printing. This, to me, is also an 
     interlock since there was no inherent reason why the imaging process 
     could not be performed. I would even regard a operator's key provision 
     as an interlock if the key must be in place to print.

     Bill Wagner  Osicom/DPI
      
______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: PMP> cover -v- interlock
Author:  "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    3/7/97 1:39 PM

My attempts:

Gail

--