Subject: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 97 19:47:23 EST

I had an issue to refine the defintions of active, busy, idle
and standby.

Active: the printer or subunit is performing it's primary function.

Busy: the printer or subunit is performing a function (not necessarily
it's primary function) and is not immediately available for it's 
primary function.

Idle: the printer or subunit is immediately available and waiting
for instructions.

Standby: the printer or subunit is not immediately available but is
waiting for instructions.

Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:33:44 -0500 (EST)

Bill,

You were not able to attend the 3rd day (Wednesday) during the recent
interop testing last December when this topic was discussed.

This discussion revolved around nailing down generic definitions
for these critical terms when used in "subunit status" cases.

For one thing, the many references to "print jobs" in the existing
definitions really gets in the way when applied to any given subunit
status situation.

	...jay

---

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Mar 97 8:52:37 EST

In coming up with the new definitions that were proposed, I consulted 
with several people and went through different scenarios in a printer
and various subunits (input features, output features, interfaces,
markers, etc.) to try to determine generic definitions that would
apply to various situations. While the definition that Bill and
Chuck stated below appeared to work good for interfaces, it seemed
to lack something when applied to other subunits. 

For example, we considered a large capacity input feature that has 
an elevator to raise and lower the paper. Before opening the
door to replenish the paper supply, an operator pushes a button
to lower the elevator. We considered the paper input to be
"busy" while lowering the elevator. The next state after "busy"
would be "idle" (if the door was not open) or "offline" (if the
door was open) or even "down" (if the elevator jammed while lowering).

Another example was an inkjet printer. Occasionally an inkjet printer
must move the inkjet heads over to a cleaning station. We would consider
the marker to be "busy" while the cleaning cycle is going on. After the
cleaning cycle is finished, the next state could be "active", "idle" 
(depending on what was going on before and during the cleaning cycle)
or "down" (if a problem was detected while cleaning).

This are two examples of why we decided not to include any next state
transitions in our new definition.

-------------------- Original message -------------------------
To: pmp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Lloyd Young)
From: adamsc%pogo.WV.TEK.COM @ interlock.lexmark.com (Chuck Adams) @ SMTP
Date: 03/13/97 05:11:26 PM
Subject: Re: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

>      Busy - The printer or subunit is "Active" and has also reached a
>      resource threshold whereby it will not accept any new print jobs for a
>      finite period of time. The expected next state transition from the
>      "busy" state is to the "active" state, implying that resources are
>      again available to accept new print jobs.

I like Bill's suggestion with one minor change. 

The expected next state transition from the "busy" state is to the
"active" or "available" state,
implying that resources are again available to accept new print jobs.

Chuck Adams

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:08:08 -0500 (EST)

Lloyd,

Very nice job on this effort.  Hopefully others will agree that your
proposed clarifications are more than acceptable for the new version
of the Printer MIB.

	...jay

---

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:17:34 -0700

This is a case where being less specific in the specification allows more 
flexibility for different device and subunit types. I agree with the 
definitions as proposed by Lloyd.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From:  Lloyd Young[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Saturday, March 15, 1997 6:53 AM
To:  pmp%pwg.org
Subject:  Re: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

-------------------- Original message -------------------------
To: pmp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Lloyd Young)
From: adamsc%pogo.WV.TEK.COM @ interlock.lexmark.com (Chuck Adams) @ SMTP
Date: 03/13/97 05:11:26 PM
Subject: Re: PMP> Definitions of Active, Busy, Idle, Standby

Chuck Adams