Subject: PMP> Questions on RFC1759

From: Harish nachnani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:44:32 +0000

1. RFC1759 follows snmpv2 format conventions. What if the
agent only supported snmpv1. Is there a v1 version of 1759.mib ?

2. If a printer does not support console buffer or marker or
colorant etc, what should be the query response from the agents
for these objects ?

3.  In mib walk interop test results what does NV stand for ?

Thanks
Harish.

---

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:44:40 -0500

> agent only supported snmpv1. Is there a v1 version of 1759.mib ?

I don't think there has been one published, however, I believe that
there are a few tools out there that will convert MIBs to v1 format. 
The Pro version of SMICng is supposed to (www.snmpinfo.com) and I
believe that there used to be some agents on the internet to which you
could send a MIB to have it converted.  Also, a few well written emacs
macros will do the trick (that is how I converted the MIB to v1 format
some time back).

Can anyone else help on this?

> colorant etc, what should be the query response from the agents

Pretty much what you would expect, an attempt to GET an instance of an
object that does not exist should return noSuchName.  An attempt to
GETNEXT an object that has no instances (an empty table) should return
the first instance of the next object in the device's MIB tree.

Example: GETNEXT prtConsoleDisplayBufferText
         GETRESPONSE prtConsoleOnTime.1.1 = 0

> 3.  In mib walk interop test results what does NV stand for ?

That particular agent had no value for that instance of the object in
question.

> Harish.

Matt

-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark
[email-masked]