Subject: PMP> Revisions to latest Internet Draft

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Mar 97 7:02:31 EST

A conference call was conducted on Friday March 21st to
discuss changes that are required to be included in the
Printer MIB Internet Draft before it is submitted to
the IETF prior to the Memphis IETF meeting.

Changes:
1. prtStorageRefSeqNumber, prtDeviceRefSeqNumber and prtConsoleLightIndex which 
are indexes to begin at 1 
instead of 0. (Paul Gloger's e-mail dated 3/19/97)
2. The description for chAppSocket(12)changed back
to description contained in RFC1759:

      -- a bi-directional, LPD-like
      -- protocol using 9101 for 
      -- control and 9100 for data.
      -- Adobe Systems, Inc.
(Ron Bergman's e-mail dated 3/290/97)
3. The end of the description of prtConsoleDisplayBufferIndex and
prtConsoleLightIndex changed to read:
     "...values are normally expected to remain stable across 
     successive power cycles." 
(Ron Bergman's e-mail dated 3/20/97)
4. (Ron Bergman's e-mail dated 20-Mar)
Order of objects in the specification
a. We agreed that the OBJECT-TYPE descriptions of the objects in the General
table should be changed from being sprinkled throughout the document in the
appropriate group, to appearing in table order immediately after the General
Table.  Randy had started this reorganization from the RFC 1759 order.  No
OIDs are changed in this re-ordering, only the order of appearance of the
OBJECT-TYPE descriptions of the objects.
b. We agreed that the OBJECT-TYPE descriptions in the General table should
have a block comment that indicates something about the following objects,
such as that they are default indexes in various groups or are objects in a
particular group for which there is only one instance per Printer.
c. Each line in the PrtGeneralEntry SEQUENCE would have an added column as a
comment, indicating the group in which the object belongs.  Perhaps the
current lead sentence: "Note that not al of the objects in this sequence are
in the general printer group." could have the additional sentence: "The
group in which each object is a member is indicated as a comment below."

PrtGeneralEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    -- Note that not all of the objects in this sequence are in the
    -- general printer group.  The group in which each 
    -- object is a member is indicated as a comment below.
    prtGeneralConfigChanges         Counter32,         -- General
    prtGeneralCurrentLocalization   Integer32,         -- General
    prtGeneralReset                 PrtGeneralResetTC, -- General
    prtGeneralCurrentOperator       OCTET STRING,      -- ResponsibleParty
    prtGeneralServicePerson         OCTET STRING,      -- ResponsibleParty
    prtInputDefaultIndex            Integer32,         -- Input
    prtOutputDefaultIndex           Integer32,         -- Output
    prtMarkerDefaultIndex           Integer32,         -- Marker
    prtMediaPathDefaultIndex        Integer32,         -- MediaPath
    prtConsoleLocalization          Integer32,         -- Console
    prtConsoleNumberOfDisplayLines  Integer32,         -- Console
    prtConsoleNumberOfDisplayChars  Integer32,         -- Console
    prtConsoleDisable               INTEGER,           -- Console
    prtGeneralStartupPage           PresentOnOff,      -- AuxiliarySheet
    prtGeneralBannerPage            PresentOnOff,      -- AuxiliarySheet
    prtGeneralPrinterName           OCTET STRING,      -- General
    prtGeneralSerialNumber          OCTET STRING,      -- General
    prtAlertCriticalEvents          Counter32,         -- Alert
    prtAlertAllEvents               Counter32          -- Alert
}

5. The new objects should be assigned without gaps from RFC 1759, so that
prtGeneralStartupPage should be re-numbered at 14, not 16,
prtGeneralBannerPage 15, not 17, PresentOnOff at 16, not 18,
prtGeneralPrinterName at 17, not 19, prtGeneralSerialNumber at 18, not 20,
prtAlertCriticalEvents 19, not 21, prtAlertAllEvents at 20, not 22.

6. Delete the prtAutoSwitching object as per Bob's 3/18 e-mail, but remove
the OID gap, changing inputNextIndex from 26 to 25:

4) (pages 76-77) Input Switching Group: These objects have been worked over 
on the mailing list quite a bit, mainly by Angelo Caruso (Xerox) and 
myself. The agreed upon changes can be found at 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/inputsw2.doc which is repeated 
below (without revision marks [but changing the OID from 26 to 25 - TNH]).

-- The Input Switching Group
--
-- The input switching group allows the administrator to set the
-- input subunit timeout for the printer and to control the automatic
-- input subunit switching by the printer when an input subunit becomes
-- empty.
--
-- This group is optional. However, to claim conformance to this group,
-- it is required to implement every object in the group.

prtInputMediaLoadTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      Integer32
   MAX-ACCESS   read-write
   MIN-ACCESS   read-only
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
      "When the printer is not able to print due to a subunit being
      empty or the requested media must be manually loaded, the printer
      will wait for the duration (in seconds) specified by this object.
      Upon expiration of the timeout, the printer will take the action
      specified by prtInputNextIndex.

      The event which causes the printer to enter the waiting state
      is product specific. If the printer is not waiting for manually
      fed media, it may switch from an empty subunit to a different
      subunit without waiting for the timeout to expire.

      A value of (-1) implies 'other' or 'infinite' which translates
      to 'wait forever'. The action which causes printing to continue
      is product specific. A value of (-2) implies 'unknown'."
::= { prtInputEntry 24 }

prtInputNextIndex OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      Integer32
   MAX-ACCESS   read-write
   MIN-ACCESS   read-only
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
      "The value of prtInputIndex corresponding to the input subunit
       which will be used when this input subunit is emptied and the
       timeout specified by prtInputMediaLoadTimeout expires. A value
       of zero(0) indicates that auto input switching will not occur
       when this input subunit is emptied. If the timeout specified by
       prtInputLoadMediaTimeout expires and this value is zero(0), the
       job will be aborted. A value of (-1) means other.
       The value (-2) means 'unknown' and specifically indicates that
       an implementation specific method will determine the next input
       subunit to use at the time this subunit is emptied and the
       timeout expires. The value(-3) means input switching is not
       supported for this subunit."
::= { prtInputEntry 25 }

7. Joe Fillion's e-mail of 3/21:
Pg. 28. Number 2 - "... i.e., not a "PostIt".  ..." I believe PostIt is 
 a registered trademark.  Elsewhere in the document you use (tm).  I 
 don't know what is appropriate here but this doesn't look right.

We agreed to use a more generic description, such as "sticky note".

8. Joe Fillion's e-mail of 3/21:
Pg. 98. The description for prtMarkerSuppliesIndex is not a complete 
 sentence.  It was in rfc1759.

The text from RFC 1759 is:

prtMarkerSuppliesIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX     Integer32 (1..65535)
    MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
    STATUS     current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A unique value used by the printer to identify this marker
        supply.  Although these values may change due to a major
        reconfiguration of the device (e.g. the addition of new marker
        supplies to the printer), values are expected to remain stable
        across successive printer power cycles."
    ::= { prtMarkerSuppliesEntry 1 }

The rest of Joe's editorial comments will be considered by the editor
after the Internet-Draft is submitted.

Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740