Subject: Re: PMP> Minutes of the "Top-25" call

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 97 17:05:47 MST

Chris,

>As a follow up to this request that was part of the 3/5/97
>conference call:
>
>
>> - Recommendation for 5 new hrPrinterDetectedErrorState bits. Agree to
>> pursue. Should be easy. Lloyd will approach IETF. If not quick and
>> easy, fall back to defining from existing set of bits.
>
>Where we stand on this is that we have a good opportunity to
>make minor modifications to the HR MIB, such as the one above.
>However, this will not happen until after the April IETF meeting.
>Please go ahead and assume that these five bits can be added,
>and we will have final confirmation by late April/early May.

First, let me say THANKS for looking into this for us. I'm inclined
to receive this as good news.

However, I need some clarification on the status.

We've been working on moving the Printer MIB forward for more than
a year now. Tightening the definition of the "top 25" alerts ranks
high on the list of meaningful accomplishments. We can't afford
to proceed with the assumption that hrMIB will accept the new
hrPrinterDetectedErrorState bits only to find out in *May* that
this is not so.

Is it just "paper work" that will have to wait until May? If we do
proceed, as recommended is there any chance the change will be rejected
later?

Harry Lewis

---

From: Chris Wellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:31:20 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> a year now. 

I wonder how you arrive at one year?  Looking back through my notes,
I find 12/23/96 as the date I sent the email telling everyone
what we had to do to get to DRAFT standard.  It looks like three
months to me.

> Tightening the definition of the "top 25" alerts ranks

Then prepare a back-up plan; that's the only alterantive.

> proceed, as recommended is there any chance the change will be rejected

Harry -- I cannot comment on this.  I am going to ask
you to have faith that all the right things are happening to
make adding the five bits a successful outcome.