Subject: PMP> Re: IPP> Re: ADM - IPP Charter and Slot in Memphis

From: Patrick Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 20:40:19 -0800 (PST)

# Patrick,

# > I spent an hour at lunch today working on how I would translate what the
# > IPP Model folks have presented into LPR/LPD protocol,  and strangely
# > enough there is not that much backing and filling to do.
# > 
# > [...]
# >
# > Job removal is almost trivial.

# Care to elaborate?  Issues of authentication come to mind pretty quickly.

# 	...jay

1. LPD has no authentication.  That solves it in one direction.
2. Since you don't have authentication,  you need an 'anonymous' user to
   map LPD stuff into.  That solves the other.

3. Job 'options' in LPD have almost a 1-1 correspondence to the attributes
   in job stuff - (Extra gold stars, there, those folks).

4. Document types in LPR have a 'format' which maps into a whacko default
   document type.  The other direction is simple.

Whats left?  Status - Ohhh... there is NO status output format standard in LPR,
so that ends that...

Simple, no?

Patrick Powell