Subject: Re: PMP> Minutes of the Top-25 call

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:38:51 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

Chris, indeed, the PWG *has* been working over a year on forwarding the Printer
MIB. I'm sure archives would show even earlier dates, but let me reference the
following note I found which is illustrative...

>Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 17:46:19 MDT
>From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Question from Larry Masinter - what's the PWG
>
>I hope Larry doesn't mind me sharing this on the reflector. It's a good
>question that others may be asking. Hope my answer helps.
>
>>Larry,  the PWG  is an  Industry consortium  who's first  charter was  the
>>creation of a  standard printer MIF for  the DMTF. (Some like  to think of
>>the PWG  as an  outgrowth of the  NPA - Network  Printer Alliance  - which
>>created the  IEEE1284.x standards -  that's OK  too). After taking  on the
>>DMTF charter,  a second,  simultaneous effort was  to create  the standard
>>printer MIB  which resulted in RFC1759.  Currently, the PWG is  working on
>>Network print job management, clarifications  to the MIF and MIB, improved
>>event notification. Future projects may include Finishing MIB derived from
>>the DMTF (LMO) Finishing MIF etc.
>>
>>Each standards  registration body we work  with has a tendency  to view us
>>myopically as belonging to their organization during the stage in which we
>>are interlocked. That's, OK. That's also  probably why you don't see us in
>>the IETF roster today.
>>
>>I'm not savvy to all the IETF  rules, MIB status etc, (this way there's no
>>danger of  being selected chairman :-)  but I believe they  would describe
>>RFC1759  as "inactive"  or something  like that  so you  may not  find any
>>reference  to any  resemblance  or our  group. I  believe  I'm correct  in
>>stating  that,  by this  categorization,  the  IETF  in  no way  means  to
>>discourage the  PWG from  conversing, clarifying  etc. in  preparation for
>>"reactivation"  if and  when  appropriate. The  printer  MIB version  just
>>placed on the server by Randy Turner is evidence of this activity.
>>
>>"Officially", the PWG is also the body that evaluates "type-2" enumeration
>>requests related to RFC1759 (as defined and described in the RFC).
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Harry Lewis
>>Printing Systems Architecture and Standards
>>IBM Printing Systems - Boulder, CO
>>(303) 924-5337 tie-line 263   **  [email-masked]

Also, as far as trusting that the hrMIB bits will be accepted - isn't this a
bit open-ended for an institution like the IETF? I do want to trust, as you
recommend, but I'm not sure where this leaves us?
---------------------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 03/14/97 10:56 AM
 ---------------------------

        IINUS1.RSCS3943@D03AU018
        03/13/97 06:39 PM
Please respond to IINUS1.RSCS3943 @ VM

To: Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS
cc:
Subject:  Re: PMP> Minutes of the  Top-25  call

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:

*stuff deleted*

> >Please go ahead and assume that these five bits can be added,
> >and we will have final confirmation by late April/early May.
>
> However, I need some clarification on the status.
>
> We've been working on moving the Printer MIB forward for more than
> a year now.

I wonder how you arrive at one year?  Looking back through my notes,
I find 12/23/96 as the date I sent the email telling everyone
what we had to do to get to DRAFT standard.  It looks like three
months to me.

> Tightening the definition of the "top 25" alerts ranks
> high on the list of meaningful accomplishments. We can't afford
> to proceed with the assumption that hrMIB will accept the new
> hrPrinterDetectedErrorState bits only to find out in *May* that
> this is not so.

Then prepare a back-up plan; that's the only alterantive.

> Is it just "paper work" that will have to wait until May? If we do
> proceed, as recommended is there any chance the change will be rejected
> later?

Harry -- I cannot comment on this.  I am going to ask
you to have faith that all the right things are happening to
make adding the five bits a successful outcome.