Subject: RE: PMP> chNetwarePServer channel type problem? -Reply

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:54:56 -0700

Dave, Bob,

>>> <[email-masked]> 03/21/97 02:10pm >>>

> the way the prtChannelTable is organized, your example would
> break out into multiple prtChannelEntry objects.  Each of these would
> have its own prtChannelInformation value, and they might potentially
> differ in other prtChannelEntry fields. 

Dave K states it exactly as I remember it.  There was much discussion
about this: how to encode multiple pairs?  The solution was multiple
entries in the table.  If this is broken, I am sure other types will have to
be revisited.

As for Bob's question:

> 2) Why does NDSTree specify "Multiplicity Multiple" but the rest of the 
> keywords are "Multiplicity Single"?

As I go back and re-read this, it looks like it must have been a
cut and paste error.  Probably should be single.  I still have to think
about it some more to remove some of the cobwebs.

Scott

---

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 23:05:36 -0700

Bob,

>>> Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]> 03/21/97 02:54pm >>>
> What is multiplicity for if I can't specify multiple queues being serviced?
>  We have a single Novell channel that services multiple queues. 

Doesn't this get the the heart of the major discussion on channel type
and channel type info?  The debate was over "what is a channel and
how does one specify it?"  Currently there are channel types that are
"all over the board" with respect to cannonical "protocol layering"  some
are transports, some are ports, some are interfaces, some are higher
layers like queues (server or tree). 

I get awfully confused every time I go back and try to remember about
channel types and type info.   Maybe to help me, you could describe
why putting multiple entries in for each 
{ (server | tree) and queue } pair causes problems?   Your above statement says "single
Novell channel"  -  what is unique about this
single Novell channel that makes it hard to put multiple entries in the
Channel table?  Socket number?  Node Number?  Are you deciding that
the NCP stack or SPX stack is a channel and each Queue or NPrinter
is just multiple apps on the same channel?  If so, we need some lower
level channel types info?

Thanks

Scott