Subject: PMP> alert condition standardization and conformance

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 23:00:32 MST

Gail wrote...

>So today I was presenting some information on the alert table, sub-unit status
>and the 3 hr variables.  As we were discussing all of the information that
>needed to be accumulated in order to respond to each of these variables, I
>mentioned the work that was occurring in this illustrious group regarding the
>standardization of common conditions.
>
>They asked how they could claim interoperability given that so few of the
>conditions were being addressed.  Yes they understood that given this set of
>conditions they could extrapolate other conditions, but would this really
>provide the results for which the committee is looking?

Gail, at the test we showed two separately developed printer management
applications managing 6 separately developed printers. Was
interoperability demonstrated? YES. Is there room for improvement? YES.

The data we collected using the test tools will help us improve our
future implementations and could result in some minor adjustments to
the specifications themselves.

The effort you refer to, identification of the top 25 printer events
and clarification as to the values expected in the alert table, sub-
unit status and the 3 hrMIB variables is what we distilled as top
priority. Why do you question whether this will yield reasonable results?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: "Gail Songer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:57:00 -0800

Harry,

Was interoperability really shown?  Given the variance is the results, I
definately question your statement.  Jay, as one of those application
management vendors, what do you think?

I beleive that the standardization of the 25 printer conditions will yeild
reasonable and useful results, but these are very, very basic conditions.  What
about all the rest.  I have a list of 100 engine erors for one printer and a
little over half of the errors on this list are not covered by the 25 printer
conditions.  As of yet, I don't have the list of formatter errors or channel
errors but there are probably around another 50 of those.  So I still have to
make guesses on around 100 printer conditions.  Granted, I may modify my
responses based on the base 25, but the field is still wide open.  What do I do
when the disk is full?  When the tray is lifting?  When I need a different type
of paper?

The point is that these 25 errors will not solve our interoperability problems,
it is really only a start.  There a a whole lot more "common" errors out there.

Gail

On Feb 16, 11:00pm, Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Subject: PMP> alert condition standardization and conformance
> Gail wrote...
>
>-- End of excerpt from Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>

-- 

Gail Songer                                             Electronics For Imaging
[email-masked]                                 2855 Campus Drive
(415) 286-7235                                          San Mateo, CA 94403