Subject: Re: PMP> Printer MIB questions from the field

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:35:02 -0500

Harry, 

        Just one note on your excellent summary. Relative to your statement:

Specifically, the Printer MIB calls out support for the hrSystem Group
(although recent interoperability testing has shown this to be of
little use to printers), hrStorage Group and hrDevice Group.

      As far as I can ascertain, RFC1759 does not call out support for the 
hrSystem group (other than saying that this group, along with Running Software, 
etc. can be implemented at the discression of the manufacturer). Perhaps the 
conclusion of the interopability testing  just confirms what was considerd in 
the printer MIB originally.

Bill Wagner, DPI

---

From: Matt King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:58:11 -0500

Bill,

WARNING: Philosophical statement ahead!

If rfc1514 states that the System group (along with the Storage and
Device groups) are mandatory, can rfc1759 make the System group optional
when used in conjunction with Printer-MIB?  If so, when a vendor
implements only the Storage and Device groups, did they implement the
Host Resources MIB?

--Matt King

-- 
Matt King                                     Opinions are my own and
Staff Engineer                                    are not necessarily
Lexmark International, Inc.                          those of Lexmark
[email-masked]