Subject: PMP> Justification of RFC 1759 changes

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 97 15:33:13 EST

At the Alburquerque PMP meeting, volunteers were recruited
to document why a particular change was made to RFC1759.
This documentation is required to move the Printer MIB 
from Proposed to Draft. The volunteers are listed below 
by the change that requires justification.

The justification only needs to be a couple of sentences.
The easiest thing to do is to state the problem that existed
in RFC1759 and why the change solves the problem. For 
example what Bob wrote as justification for the two 
counters added to the General Printer Group is fine:

  The objects prtAlertCriticalEvents and prtAlertAllEvents have been 
  added to allow management application to easily determine if there 
  has been a change to the alert table. Without these counters, the 
  entire alert table must be read and parsed to determine if the state 
  of the printer has changed. By using these objects it can quickly be 
  determined whether or not there has been any change since these objects 
  were last read, and which class, critical or not, has changed.

1. Several Textual Conventions were added in the new
   Printer MIB that were not present in RFC1759:
   z Tom Hastings write up why new TC's were added

General Printer Group changes:

1. Six new objects were added to the General Printer Group:

  prtGeneralStartupPage         PresentOnOff  - Tom Hastings
  prtGeneralBannerPage          PresentOnOff  - Tom Hastings
  prtGeneralAdminName           Octet string  - Jay Martin
  prtGeneralSerialNumber        Octet string  - Harry Lewis
  prtAlertCriticalEvents        Counter32     - Bob Pentecost
  prtAlertAllEvents             Counter32     - Bob Pentecost

Input Group Changes

1. A group was added: The Input Switching Group

  prtInputMediaLoadTimeout      Integer32     - Angelo Caruso
  prtInputNextIndex             Integer32     - Angelo Caruso

Print Job Delivery Channel Group changes

1. One new object was added:
  prtChannelInformation         DisplayString - David Kellerman

Lloyd Young                       Phone: (606) 232-5150
Lexmark International Inc.        Fax: (606) 232-6740
740 New Circle Road NW            internet: [email-masked]
Lexington, KY 40511

---

From: [email-masked] (Caruso,Angelo)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:08:58 PST

Here is my proposed justification for the following objects:

One of the original goals of the Printer MIB was to provide remote 
 management of settings which are typically configurable via the 
 printer operator console. There are many existing examples of printers 
 which support automatic input switching and manual feed timeouts and 
 which allow modification of default settings for these features via 
 the operator console. Thus, the original Printer MIB was deficient in 
 not defining these objects.

Thanks,
Angelo