Subject: PMP> Interoperability issues found during testing

From: Michael Kirkham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:10:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Folks..

I need your opinions on two issues that have arisen during the
interoperability test summit for the Printer MIB.  One is a possible area
of ambiguity in the Printer MIB, the other is in the Host Resources MIB
and, while certainly a fairly important issue, probably isn't really the
Printer MIB group's problem, but it affects the Printer MIB group.

1. Are values other than cover(6) (such has input(8) or output(9))
considered valid for a prtAlertGroup entry added as the result of a cover
being openned?  Should it be clarified which values other than
cover(6) should be considered valid?

2. The operation of hrPrinterStatus (rfc 1514) is somewhat ambiguous due
to a description which doesn't match the actual enumerations for the
object.  The values listed for idle, printing and warmup in the
description do not match the actual enumerations.  Also, the description
mentions running(2) and warning(3) which are not defined in the syntax
field.  Because of this they can't really be used legally.  So, if some
sort of error condition occurs, should the value of hrPrinterStatus be set
to other(1), or unknown(2)?  Currently one of the tests is checking that
the status is not set to other(1), which would be wrong if other(1) is the
proper value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
--==--==--==-  Michael Kirkham          Software Engineer
==--==--==--=  Email: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.iwl.com/
--==--==--==-  InterWorking Labs, Inc.  244 Santa Cruz Ave, Aptos, CA 95003
==--==--==--=  Tel:  +1 408 685 3190    Fax:  +1 408 662 9065
---------------------------------------------------------------------------