Subject: PMP> Top 20 Chart Comments

From: [email-masked]
Date: 19 Feb 97 18:22:04 EST

Thank you Chuck for putting together this chart, and thank you Lloyd 
     for formatting it - I couldn't make heads or tails of it as included 
     in the original e-mail.  
     
     I have the following comments:
     
     1. PrtSubUnitStatusTC Clarification
     I think the Availability bit descriptions desparately need 
     clarification.  What is the difference between Available and Busy vs. 
     Available and Active?  What about Standby vs. Idle (is Standby only 
     for power save mode?)  What is Unavailable and OnRequest for?  
     
     As one example of this needed clarification... In Chuck's table, for 
     the Normal or idle state, subunitstatus is listed as all idle.  In our 
     implementation, there is a substantial difference between the 
     currently active paper source as opposed to additional, but not 
     currently selected, paper sources.  Because of this difference, our 
     engineers used subunitstatus of 4, Avail and Active, for the currently 
     selected paper source, while using 0, Avail and Idle, for non-selected 
     paper sources.  Similar logic was used on other subunit items as well. 
      I noticed also that Vendor 4 in the MIB walk similarly used Avail and 
     Active in most cases rather than Avail and Idle.
     
     2. hrPrinterStatus when hrDeviceStatus is Down
     In the table in almost all cases where hrDeviceStatus is Down, the 
     hrPrinterStatus is listed as Idle or Printing or Warmup.  According to 
     the HR MIB for hrPrinterStatus: 
                   "The current status of this printer device.  When
                    in the idle(1), printing(2), or warmup(3) state,
                    the corresponding hrDeviceStatus should be
                    running(2) or warning(3).  When in the unknown
                    state, the corresponding hrDeviceStatus should be
                    unknown(1)."
     Therefore, when hrDeviceStatus is Down, hrPrinterStatus should be 
     Other or Unknown.
     
     3. Cover/Door Open
     Should all covers/doors be entered in the covers(6) group?  This 
     question was brought up a while back by Micheal from IWL in relation 
     to the interop testing.  When our printer has additional paper trays 
     attached and the door of the paper tray is opened, it is entered in 
     the input group rather than the covers group.  Reading the description 
     of prtAlertGroup, I can understand why our engineers did it this way.  
     
         DESCRIPTION
             "The type of sub-unit within the printer model that this alert
             is related.  Input, output, and markers are examples of
             printer model groups, i.e., examples of types of sub-units.
     
             Wherever possible, these enumerations match the
             sub-identifier that identifies the relevant table in the
             printmib."
     
     I have trouble thinking of all covers as one subunit rather than as 
     components of the general printer or another subunit.  If everyone 
     else agrees that any cover/door open should be entered into the cover 
     group, then we'll change our implementation.  Does the description for 
     prtAlertGroup need clarification or were we just out in left field? 
     
     Stuart Rowley
     Kyocera

---

From: Chuck Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 16:54:48 -0800

>      for power save mode?)  What is Unavailable and OnRequest for?

	I concur that this Textual Convention needs clarification.
	I assumed that active did not imply selected. I thought this
	was handled by the input table.
 
>      Therefore, when hrDeviceStatus is Down, hrPrinterStatus should be

	Here is someone's chance to make an alternate proposal because
	I do not like the current wording that forces this behavior. 
	Maybe Harry is correct we should redo the hr variables.

>      3. Cover/Door Open

	I concur with your implementers. The Cover Table states "The cover
portion
	of the General print sub-unit describes the covers...". Therefore
covers
	or interlocks within the input sub-unit are not covered by this table.

Chuck Adams