Subject: PMP> The Input Switching Group

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 97 10:14:11 EST

Following is the wording proposed by Bob Pentecost in his last e-mail
and there has not been any discussion after his posting. I am going to
take silence as a vote that this wording is acceptable to everyone.

-- The Input Switching Group
--
-- The input switching group allows the administrator to set the
-- input subunit timeout for the printer and to control the automatic
-- input subunit switching by the printer when an input subunit becomes
-- empty.
--
-- This group is optional. However, to claim conformance to this group,
-- it is required to implement every object in the group.

prtInputMediaLoadTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX          Integer32
     MAX-ACCESS     read-write
     MIN-ACCESS     read-only
     STATUS          current
     DESCRIPTION
          "When the printer is not able to print due to a subunit being
          empty or the requested media must be manually loaded, the printer 
          will wait for the duration (in seconds) specified by this object. 
          Upon expiration of the timeout, the printer will take the action
          specified by prtInputNextIndex.

          The event which causes the printer to enter the waiting state
          is product specific. If the printer is not waiting for manually
          fed media, it may switch from an empty subunit to a different
          subunit without waiting for the timeout to expire.

          A value of (-1) implies 'other' or
          'infinite' which translates to 'wait forever'. The action which
          causes printing to continue is product specific.
          A value of (-2) implies 'unknown'."
::= { prtInputEntry 24 }

prtInputNextIndex OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX          Integer32
     MAX-ACCESS     read-write
     MIN-ACCESS     read-only
     STATUS          current
     DESCRIPTION
          "The value of prtInputIndex corresponding to the input subunit
           which will be used when this input subunit is emptied and the
           timeout specified by prtInputMediaLoadTimeout expires. A value
           of zero(0) indicates that auto input switching will not occur
           when this input subunit is emptied. If the timeout specified by
           prtInputLoadMediaTimeout expires and this value is zero(0), the
           job will be aborted."
::= { prtInputEntry 26 }

---

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:18:40 -0700

Lloyd,

You picked up the version of prtInputNextIndex that did not provide the values -1, -2 and -3. The object should read:

prtInputNextIndex OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX      Integer32
   MAX-ACCESS  read-write
   MIN-ACCESS  read-only
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
      "The value of prtInputIndex corresponding to the input subunit
       which will be used when this input subunit is emptied and the
       timeout specified by prtInputMediaLoadTimeout expires. A value
       of zero(0) indicates that auto input switching will not occur
       when this input subunit is emptied. If the timeout specified by 
       prtInputLoadMediaTimeout expires and this value is zero(0), the 
       job will be aborted. A value of (-1) means other.
       The value (-2) means 'unknown' and specifically indicates that
       an implementation specific method will determine the next input
       subunit to use at the time this subunit is emptied and the 
       timeout expires. The value(-3) means input switching is not 
       supported for this subunit."
::= { prtInputEntry 26 }

This is how it was posted in ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/contributions/inputsw2.doc.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From:  Lloyd Young[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 25, 1997 8:14 AM
To:  pmp%pwg.org
Subject:  PMP> The Input Switching Group