Subject: PMP> Printer Interoperability issues

From: Lloyd Young <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Dec 96 16:34:41 EST

There are two issues that I wanted to address and get other opinions.
Bill Wagner asked about kibitzers attending the testing and do they pay. 
Harry Lewis specifically asked about bringing a beta level of machine 
to test which raised the question about a company bringing multiple 
printer models. Chris and I have discussed these issues and came up 
with the following proposal. Instead of the fee being a flat rate 
per company, the fee would be on a per workstation basis. Stardust 
Labs can support up to 30 workstation/test station slots. The 
proposal would be that if a company brings one printer they would 
pay 1 workstation fee. If a company brings two models they would 
pay 2 workstation fees. A kibitzer (a person not associated with 
a printer model under test) would be required to test (not just 
watch) and would pay 1 workstation fee. This assumes that the 
printer companies would be agreeable to ship additional printers 
so the kibitzers would have a printer to test. The "kibitzer" 
additional printers would be evenly distributed between the 
printer companies willing to provide additional printers.

Harry, the answer to your question is yes, beta level printers are
welcome at the testing regardless of the payment plan decided upon.

There are three things that I want to solicit with this note:
1. Comments to this proposal. Please send these to the PMP
distribution list.
2. People who want to attend the testing as kibitzers. Please
send your name to me directly.
3. Printer companies that would be willing to provide additional
printers for the kibitzers. Please respond directly to me.

Lloyd Young                       Phone: (606) 232-5150
Lexmark International Inc.        Fax: (606) 232-6740
740 New Circle Road NW            internet: [email-masked]
Lexington, KY 40550

---

From: Jeff Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:06:32 -0500

I apologize for sending this to both [email-masked] and [email-masked], but
few people have yet subscribed to the new pmp list.

> 740 New Circle Road NW            internet: [email-masked]

Lloyd,

One reason we wanted to have the PWG meeting right after the
interoperability testing was to encourage kibitzers.  Requiring
a significant fee of people just observing is counter-productive.
We want to increase attendance at the testing so that people will
have first-hand knowledge of the resulting issues when they are
discussed later in the week.  

Offering a chance of hands-on testing in exchange for a share of
the cost sounds reasonable...  But people who are just there to 
observe should not be charged a fee, and if the test staff is to 
be volunteer then the volunteers should not be charged.

/Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------