Subject: P1394> Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

From: Greg Shue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:04:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

At the January 98 PWG 1394 meeting, I mentioned that Technology
Rendezvous Inc.  was prototyping the IP1394 solution, and had
already developed SBP-2 target and initiator modules.  (FYI, I've
appended the announcement that I was forwarded to the bottom of
this message.)

I approached them about sharing some rough estimates of code size
for the IP1394 glue, SBP-2 target and initiator, and 1394 bus
manager modules to get a feel for how "heavy" the protocol
implementations really are.  They graciously shared the flowing
estimates with us, and certainly deserve our thanks.  Since the
technology is still being developed, these implementations are
certainly going to be tuned and the numbers will change a little
bit.

  Component                Rough ROM size (KBytes)
  ---------                -----------------------
  SBP-2 initiator core     15 +/- 5
  SBP-2 target core        15 +/- 5  (incl. Mgmt+Fetch agent, no exec agent)
  IP1394 glue layer        15 +/- 5  (curr proto impl., not quite fully func)
  OS supplied TCP/IP stack 50 -> 100 (depends on other stack components incl.)

  Serial Bus Mgr           12 -> 15

  Tailgate core            12 +/- 3

  Link Ctlr driver cores   12 -> 18

>Hi,
>
>Technology Rendezvous Inc. would like to join the interoperability
>test event.
>TRI has IP1394 implementations and will be interested in
>interoperability testing with other vendors. Our focus has been
>embedded peripheral systems.
>
>TRI has IP1394 implementation running under VxWorks and PSOS
>TCP/IP stacks with following features:
>  - NETWORK_CHANNELS register implementation
>  - IP unicast
>  - ARP
>  - Fragmentation and Reassembly
>  - IP broadcast with the following exceptions
>    Since, we have this implementation on 1394-1995 chipsets
>    the IP1394 implementation supports broadcast using
>    IEEE 1394-1995 broadcast mechanism OR  using redirect
>    mechanism ( Where all nodes send the broadcast packets to the
>    active NPM which redirects these packet on ISOCHRONOUS channel )
>    as posted by TRI (Srinivasa Addepalli) on IP1394 WG a while ago.
>    Also the broadcast machinist is configurable.
>
>If future we will support implementation for the following:
>   - IP multicast
>   - Isochronous IP unicast
>
>The above implementations and NPM mechanism are currently being
>tested.
>
>/*** About TRI ***/
>Technology Rendezvous Inc. is a leading supplier of embedded
>system solutions. TRI provides a well layered and portable
>IEEE-1394 software for peripheral and embedded systems. The
>software stack supports both Isochronous & Asynchronous data
>transfers and various protocols including SBP-2 target, SBP-2
>initiator, SBP-2 with MSP, SBP-2 with printer profile and
>IP over 1394. The software stack has been designed to work with
>or without an operating system and hence it is very suitable for
>deeply embedded systems. The stack supports TI and IBM link
>Controllers and the Hardware adaptation layer (HAL) of the stack
>can be changed to support other 1394 Link Controllers.
>TRI also provides IEEE-1394 link layer core and FPGA based test
>and development environment as a complete system solution.
>Please visit TRI website at http://www.trinc.com or call me
>at 408-566-0280 x:201 for more information.
>
>-Sathyan
>
>
>/*****************************************************************
>One-Stop Solution house for your PCMCIA, FLASH, 1394 needs **/
>Technology Rendezvous Inc.             Ph  : 408-566-0280 Ext:201
>3160, De La Cruz Blvd.                 Fax : 408-566-0284
>Suite #101, Santa Clara                e-mail:  [email-masked]
>CA - 95054,  USA                       http://www.trinc.com
>*****************************************************************/

-- 
Greg Shue
Hewlett-Packard Company
Office Products Division			[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Batchelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 09:36:52 -0800

At 02:04 PM 2/6/98 -0800, Greg Shue wrote:

[snip]

>  Component                Rough ROM size (KBytes)

Any idea how big a combined SBP-2 target/initiator would be?  15-30K? ;-)

[snip]

Brian
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian Batchelder      | Hewlett-Packard      | mailto:[email-masked]  
Connectivity Futurist | 1115 SE 164th Ave.   | Phone: (360) 212-4107  
DeskJet Printers      | Vancouver, WA  98684 | Fax:   (360) 212-4227