Subject: P1394> Re: Rough SBP-2 & IP1394 core component ROM sizes

From: Kazuhiro HiRATA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 98 21:17:04 +0900

Hi, all.

My rough estimation of ROM code size of thin transport (transaction and 
session) of DPP is less than 8KB with 16bit-CISC based CPU.

However, I do NOT think that focusing to only ROM size to compare 
transport cost is productive discussion.  The CPU power requirement that 
handles the transport is also important factor to compare.  The other 
effective resource sizes rather than ROM should be compared to estimate 
the cost.

Also, the cost requirement of consumer product is only one example of 
thousand variety.  Everyone could say only smaller and cheaper is better.

Estimation is not more than estimation.

We should consider which we wish either backward compatibility or future 
possibility first.  It must effect the cost also.

Anyway, I don't think it is better solution to use 1284.4 over SBP-2 for 
PC printing.  If everyone recommend to use 1284.4 for PC printing, we 
should make a profile with 1284.4 over 1394 at first.

Alan or Greg, why did you choose SBP-2 based profile rather than 1284.4 
at Jan. PWG?

//[email-masked]'98 JST