Subject: P1394> RE: [PP1394:00137]

From: Nagasaka Fumio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 16:59:11 +0900

Thank you Alan, for your great effort updating PWG profile document.

Larry wrote: (in "P1394> December Meeting Minutes")
> H- Section 14, Multiple Logical Channels
> Routing information needs to be provided here, not .4 Channel 
information.
リ	=> PSID and SSID should be removed from the command_block

At LA meeting, we agreed to remove PSID and SSID from CDB of normal
command block ORB. However, now I would like to suggest to enclose
1284.4 supportive flag and 6 bytes 1284.4 packet header in CDB.

The reason is outlined below.
1)	IEEE 1284.4 is providing "out-of-band packet control flag" in the 
header
for 1284.4 packets.
2)	However if we does not enclose any 1284.4 information in normal 
command
block ORB. Fetch Agent needs to examine buffered data that wad 
fetched
after the fetch agent processed the ORB.
3)	Basically, out-of-band packet shall be extracted as soon as 
possible.
4)	Thus we would like to make short cut to detect out-of-band requests 
without
reading buffer space associated with each ORB.

--------------------------------------------
-------------------------------
Fumio Nagasaka
Epson Software Development Laboratory Inc.
Tel +81 268 25 4111,  Fax +81 268 25 4627
E-mail to [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	[email-masked] 
[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Friday, January 09, 1998 7:38 AM
To:	pp1394 ML
Subject:	[PP1394:00137]

 << File: ccMail >>  << File: pwgprof.pdf >>

---

From: Greg Shue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:50:31 -0800 (PST)

> reading buffer space associated with each ORB.

[Shue,Greg] These comments lead me to think there is some
confusion about what does "out-of-band" mean.  As I was told at
one of the PWG meetings, it means information which is
_synchronous_ to a specific point in the data stream, but is not
to be interpreted as normal data.  As such, the phrase "shall be
extracted as soon as possible" doesn't make sense to me.  Can
this be explained further?

-- 
Greg Shue
Hewlett-Packard Company
Office Products Division			[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------