Subject: Re: P1394> EMAIL I mentioned in 1/12 telecon

From: "Eric Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 98 09:53:31 -0800

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 10:59 PM, Greg Leclair wrote:

> For those on 1394 PWG reflector who haven't seen this yet.....
> 
> Should 1394 PWG profile require/recommend the feature set of 1394a?
> 
> Comments?

If you can find specific 1394a features that are absent in 1394-1995
that yield a meaningful cost reduction for devices using that profile,
then you could consider it.  Otherwise, I would avoid taking a stand.
1394-1995 and 1394a are supposed to be largely interoperable, so there's
no value to throwing that interoperability away for no reason.

Eric Anderson
Apple Computer, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Batchelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:51:06 -0800

>no value to throwing that interoperability away for no reason.

I agree with Eric, but for a slightly different reason.  Companies may wish
to implement 1394PWG-compliant devices before 1394a silicon becomes
available.  So, unless there is some really compelling feature in 1394a, I
suggest we allow 1394-1995, 1394a and 1394b implementations to be compliant.

Brian
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brian Batchelder      | Hewlett-Packard      | mailto:[email-masked]  
Connectivity Futurist | 1115 SE 164th Ave.   | Phone: (360) 212-4107  
DeskJet Printers      | Vancouver, WA  98684 | Fax:   (360) 212-4227