Subject: P1394> SBP-2 Bidirectional ORB

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 18:08:35 -0400 (EDT)

Document 97-244r0.pdf, available from
ftp://ftp.symbios.com/pub/standards/io/t10/document.97, proposes an
additional ORB format for SBP-2 devices.

SBP-2 requests are well suited to devices for which, on a command by command
basis, the principal data flow is either to or from the target. Disk READ and
WRITE commands are the most obvious example.

This model is less suitable for devices that may have substantial amounts of
data to be exchanged, in both directions, as the result of a single command.
Examples include printers, FAX and scanners.

The proposal would add a new ORB type more appropriate for this type of
device.

In addition to the discussion scheduled for the October 7, 1997, SBP-2
meeting in Irvine, CA, comments are solicited from any interested party.

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
3998 Whittle Avenue
Oakland, CA  94602

(510) 531-5472
(510) 531-2942 FAX

[email-masked]