Subject: P1394> Function Discovery Standard

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 15:32:59 -0400

To:       [email-masked]
cc:
From:     Don Wright @ LEXMARK@LEXMTA
Date:     06/24/97 03:32:59 PM
Subject:  Function Discovery Standard

Here's the Title, Scope and Purpose of the 1394 function
discovery PAR that the working group discussed and which
will be present to the IEEE MSC on July 14th.

--------------------------------------------------------

   "Standard for Node and Unit Functional Discovery for Control
 and Status Register (CSR) (ISO/IEC 13213,  ANSI/IEEE Std 1212-
  1991) Architecture implementations on the IEEE Std. 1394-1995
                           Serial Bus"

SCOPE:

This standard will define a method for node and unit function
discovery independent of communication or transport protocols for
nodes connected to IEEE 1394-1995 buses.  As a part of this
discovery process, this standard will define a set of unit
functions and  associated numeric and textual identifiers for
each.  These functions will include, for example, printer,
processor, fixed storage, removable storage, scanner, camera,
etc.  This standard will define a method of utilizing the Control
and Status Register Architecture define by  ISO/IEC 13213,
ANSI/IEEE Std 1212-1991 to provide this discovery process.
Additionally, after a function has been discovered, this standard
will provide the means to determine the supported communication
protocols available to access that service.

PURPOSE:

IEEE Std 1394-1995, a High Performance Serial Bus,  enables many
new and enhanced devices to communicate.  Discovery of the
functions provided by these devices currently requires a
significant understanding of a variety of transport and
communications protocols.  In today's computer operating system
environments, it is often necessary to discover, install and
configure devices by class of functionality such as storage,
printing and scanning all at one time.  In order to expedite and
simplify this process, a method is needed to identify all the
nodes providing a specified function at one time regardless of
communication or transport protocols.  This standard provides a
consistent means of specifying what functions are provided by any
node or unit.

--------------------------------------------------------

Don

*************************************************************
* Don Wright ([email-masked])        Lexmark International *
* Manager                               Strategic Alliances *
* 740 New Circle Rd                     Phone: 606-232-4808 *
* Lexington, KY  40511                    Fax: 606-232-6740 *
*************************************************************