Subject: Re[2]: P1394> Revised Draft of 1394 PWG Charter from 4/3 Mee

From: "gregory leclair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 97 10:59:55 PDT

Danny,
     
     Let me try and answer these points. It may be difficult since members 
     from Japan will not meet until 4/11.
     
>do I understand that this is a joint charter between PWGB and PWBC?
     
     It was drafted as a possible joint charter. It is up to PWG/C members 
     as to how they would like to proceed. Either as a separate group or as 
     part of 1394 PWG with their officers as co-chair, etc.
     
     Of course that would require a vote, however, I got the feeling in 
     Austin that this was considered a good idea by members in attendance 
     from both groups.

>1.  How are contentious issues to be handled between the two groups.  
>Joint meetings?  Were there any "bylaws" established for approval/disapproval 
>of specifications.

        As you can see in the revised charter, the first specification 
        to be developed is the "Device and Service Discovery" mechanism.

        I think once we've identified that there is work to be done, it will 
        be accomplished under a formal standards organization (i.e. IEEE ).

2.  I did not see any mention of an IEEE standard being developed,  should 
that be in the charter?

        Good point. I'm open to comments about the draft. As I mentioned 
        above, I think we need to move identified tasks to a WG status 
        within an establish standards body.

3.  In listing the two specifications,  I did not see a data transport 
mentioned.  I assume that will need to be developed or adopted.

        I would agree that transport fits into the second ( or other) 
        specification area. 

        FYI - The Canon proposal was discussed on Thursday and it allows 
        for more than one type of transport and data format. I've posted it 
        to the server and will update the links to point to it today.

Regards,

Greg LeClair

**********  Epson Research Center  *********** 
Gregory LeClair    2833 Junction Ave, Ste. 200 
[email-masked]          San Jose, CA 95134 
408.474.0500 x 3610         (FAX) 408.474.0511