Subject: JMP> Job MIB Mapping Document

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:47:37 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

I have loaded the following files for the Job MIB Mapping specification:

	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/specs/JMPMAP00.TXT (.DOC)

I would like to review this document at the JMP meeting next week.  The
main subject will be the mapping to jmJobSubmissionId.  We need to verify
that all the necessary formats for jmJobSubmissionId are available in the
MIB.

Attached is the text version.

	Ron Bergman

  INTERNET-DRAFT                                              Ron Bergman
                                                        Dataproducts Corp.
                                                          October 15, 1997

               Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations
                         for the Job Monitoring MIB

                  <draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-00.txt>

                             Expires Apr 15, 1997

  Status of this Memo

       This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
       documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
       and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
       working documents as Internet-Drafts.

       Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
       months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
       documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts
       as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
       progress".

       To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
       "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
       Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
       munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
       ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

                                  Abstract

       This Internet-Draft defines the recommended mapping for many
       currently popular Job submission protocols to objects and
       attributes the Job Monitoring MIB.

  Bergman                                                         [page 1]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  TABLE OF CONTENTS

  1.0  INTRODUCTION .....................................................2
  2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL ...........................3
  2.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to LPR/LPD ..............................4
  2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD .....................................4
  2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD ..............................4
  2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD ................................4
  3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL ...............................................5
  3.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to AppleTalk ............................5
  3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings .........................................5
  4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP) .................................5
  4.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPP ..................................6
  4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP .........................................6
  4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP ..................................7
  4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP ................................7
  5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS) ...........................7
  6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA) ..............................8
  7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS) ..........................8
  7.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to NDPS .................................8
  7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS ........................................8
  7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS .................................8
  7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS ...............................8
  8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL) .......................................9
  8.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PJL ..................................9
  8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL .........................................9
  8.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL ................................9
  9.0  POSTSCRIPT ......................................................10
  10.0  NETWARE PSERVER ................................................10
  10.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PServer ............................10
  10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer ...................................10
  10.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer ..........................10
  11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER ...................................11
  12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL ............................11
  13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI) ........11
  14.0  REFERENCES .....................................................11

  1.0  INTRODUCTION

  The Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB] is functional with any job submission
  protocol.  However, the information available and the method of
  presentation varies significantly by job submission protocol.  A common
  method of mapping job submission information to the Job Monitoring MIB
  is essential for interoperability of Job MIB agents and monitoring
  applications.  This document defines recommended mappings for most
  popular job submission protocols to insure this compatibility.

  All mappings are unidirectional from the job submission protocol to the
  MIB.  It is assumed that support of the job submission protocol in the
  printer implies that the reverse information flow is presently defined
  and does not require interaction from the MIB.  This mapping is not
  defined in this document as it should be obvious.

  Bergman                                                        [page 2]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  This document refers to system configurations that are defined in the
  Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB].  For those readers that are familiar with
  the configuration descriptions, a short summary appears here.  Please
  see the Job MIB document for further details.

     Configuration 1:  This is a simple peer-to-peer system which contains
         only a client and a printer.  The Job MIB agent is resident in
         the printer.

     Configuration 2:  This system contains a client, server, and a
         printer.  The Jib MIB agent is resident in the server.

     Configuration 3:  This system, as in configuration 2, contains a
         client, server, and a printer.  In this case the Job MIB agent is
         implemented within the printer.

  The most important object to be mapped is jmJobSubmissionId, since this
  is the key for the user to locate a submitted job.  Therefore,
  jmJobSubmissionId is specified for all job submission protocols defined
  in this document.  The remaining objects mapped include only those items
  that have the equivalent information presented to the printer by the job
  submission protocol.

  2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL

  The LPR/LPD printing protocol [LPD] is used with BSD Unix systems in the
  client-server-printer configuration.  Usage of the Job Monitoring MIB
  with LPR/LPD will most likely conform to Configuration 3, where the
  monitor application or the server uses SNMP to obtain job information
  from the printer.  The client communicates with the Unix server using
  the existing LPD protocol to obtain job information.

  The LPR/LPD protocol is also used in the Windows environment to
  implement peer-to-peer printing, as shown in configuration 1.  In this
  case, SNMP is used by the client and/or the monitor application to
  obtain the job information.

  One of the major problems of LPR/LPD is the large number of vendor
  unique extensions currently used with the protocol and the resulting
  compatibility issues between available implementations.  To avoid these
  issues, this mapping of LPR/LPD is restricted to the protocol as defined
  by RFC 1179.

  The LPR/LPD protocol transfers print job data and control information in
  separate files, known as the Data File and Control File respectively.
  Most of the information concerning the print job is contained in the
  Control File.  In many LPD implementations, the Control File is
  transferred following the Data File.  Thus much of the information
  concerning the job may not be available until the completion of the data
  transmission.

  Bergman                                                        [page 3]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  2.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to LPR/LPD

  The LPR/LPD Receive Data File command contains a parameter which defines
  the name of the data file.  This name field is structured as follows:

          dfaXXX<host-name>  or  daXXXX<host-name>

  Where XXX or XXXX is the numeric job number assigned by the LPR/LPD
  client submitting the print job.  The recommended mapping of this name
  field to jmJobSubmissionId is:

    octet 1:   '9'

    octets 2-40:  Contains the <host-name> portion of the name field.  If
                  the <host-name> portion is less than 40 octets, the
                  left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                  position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be
                  included.

    octets 41-48:  `00000XXX'  or  `0000XXXX'.

  2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD

  The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent
  and is independent of the XXX (or XXXX) index assigned by the LPR/LPD
  client.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs received from
  multiple sources.

  2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD

  MIB Object             | LPR/LPD Parameter
  -----------------------+------------------------------------------------
  jmJobKOctetsRequested  | Number of bytes as defined in the Data File
  jmJobOwner             | User Identification string in the Control File

  2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD

  Other attributes that are applicable, but not defined in this section
  such as attributes that map to a vendor unique extension, may also be
  included.

  MIB attribute         | LPR/LPD information             | Data type
  ----------------------+---------------------------------+--------------
  serverAssignedJobName | Name of the data file (note 1)  | Octet String
  jobSourceChannelIndex | prtChannelIndex (note 2)        | Integer
  queueNameRequested    | Queue name from the Data File   | Octet String
  fileName              | Name of the source file (note 3)| Octet String
  documentName          | The document title name (note 3)| Octet String

  Bergman                                                        [page 4]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

   Notes:
   ------
    1. See section 2.1 (jmJobSubmissionId).
    2. Included if the Printer MIB is also supported by the agent.
    3. The information is optional in the Control File.  The attribute
       should be included if present in the Control File.

  3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL

  AppleTalk was originally developed as a peer-to-peer network protocol,
  as described in configuration 1, for use with Apple Macintosh computers.
  Today, print spoolers are also available for use with Macintosh computer
  networks that conform to configurations 2/3.  In addition, printing with
  the AppleTalk protocol is supported from both Windows NT servers and
  Novell servers also per configurations 2/3.

  The AppleTalk protocol provides very little information that can be used
  with the Job Monitoring MIB.  The Macintosh print drivers are able to
  provide information concerning the user and document name but imbed this
  information in the PDL, which is typically PostScript.  The preferred
  jmJobSubmissionId is constructed from the information in the PostScript
  file, as defined in section 9.0.

  3.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to AppleTalk

  An alternative jmJobSubmissionId may be constructed from the Connection
  Identifier contained in the AppleTalk Printer Access Protocol (PAP)
  header.  Since the Connection Id is not readily available in any of the
  defined AppleTalk implementations, this approach may be of little
  utility.

    octet 1:   '?'   ***** NEW TYPE CODE ???? *****

    octets 2-40:  Contains the AppleTalk printer name, with the first
                  character of the name in octet 2.  (AppleTalk printer
                  names are a maximum of 31 characters.)

    octets 41-48:  `00000XXX', where `XXX' is the decimal representation
                   of the Connection Id.

  3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings

  No other Job MIB objects or parameters can be derived from information
  available in the AppleTalk headers

  4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP)

  The Internet Printing Protocol [IPP] supports printing using any one of
  the three possible configurations.  For configuration 2, the mapping

  Bergman                                                        [page 5]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  defined herein is performed on a server.  Otherwise, the mapping is
  performed on an agent within the printer.

  4.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPP

  IPP contains a rich set of parameters which allow several methods of
  creating the jmJobSubmissionId object.  The preferred method is to use
  the IPP job-uri attribute as follows:

    octet 1:   '4'

    octets 2-40:  Contains the IPP job-uri job template attribute.  If
                  the job-uri is less than 40 octets, the left-most
                  character in the string shall appear in octet position
                  2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be included.

    octets 41-48:  Contains the job-id job template attribute.

  If the job-uri is not available to the agent, the job-name job template
  attribute shall be used.

    octet 1:   '?'  ***** New format required ? (1 for clients) *****

    octets 2-40:  Contains the IPP job-name job template attribute.  If
                  the job-name is less than 40 octets, the left-most
                  character in the string shall appear in octet position
                  2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be included.

    octets 41-48:  Contains the job-id job template attribute.

  If both the job-uri and the job-name are not available, the job-
  originating-user job template attribute shall be used.

    octet 1:   '4'

    octets 2-40:  Contains the IPP job-originating-user job template
                  attribute.  If the job-originating-user name is less
                  than 40 octets, the left-most character in the string
                  shall appear in octet position 2.  Otherwise, only the
                  last 39 bytes shall be included.

    octets 41-48:  Contains the job-id job template attribute.

  4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP

  The job index (jmJobIndex) assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent may
  be identical to the IPP job-id job template attribute if the agent is
  receiving jobs only from a single server or client.  If jobs are to be
  received from multiple sources, jmJobIndex and job-id must be
  independent.

  Bergman                                                        [page 6]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP

  MIB Object                | IPP Job template attribute
  --------------------------+---------------------------------------------
  jmJobOwner                | job-originating-user
  jmJobKOctetsRequested     | job-k-octets
  jmJobKOctetsProcessed     | job-k-octets-processed
  jmJobImpressionsRequested | job-impressions
  jmJobImpressionsProcessed | job-impressions-completed
  jmJobStateReasons1        | job-state-reasons (note 1)
  jmNumberOfInterveningJobs | number-of-intervening-jobs

   Notes:
   ------
    1. JobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three
       attributes.  The IPP condition may change one or more of the bits
       in one or more of these Job MIB items.

  4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP

  The following mappings are required if the listed IPP job template
  attribute is provided.

  MIB attribute              | IPP job template attribute   | Data type
  ---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
  jobName                    | job-name                     | Octet String
  documentFormat             | document-format              | Octet String
  jobPriority                | job-priority                 | Integer
  jobHoldUntil               | job-hold-until               | Octet String
  sides                      | sides                        | Integer
  finishing                  | finishings                   | Integer
  printQualityRequested      | print-quality                | Integer
  printerResolutionRequested | printer-resolution           | Integer
  jobCopiesRequested         | copies                       | Integer
  mediumRequested            | media                        | Octet String
  jobSubmissionTime          | time-at-pending              | Integer
  jobStartedProcessingTime   | time-at-processing           | Integer
  jobCompletionTime          | time-at-completed            | Integer
  sheetsRequested            | job-media-sheets             | Integer
  jobURI                     | job-uri                      | Octet String
  jobStateReasonsN           | job-state-reasons (note 1)   | Integer
  physicalDevice             | output-device-assigned       | Octet String
  sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer

   Notes:
   ------
    1. JobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three
       attributes.  The IPP condition may change one or more of the bits
       in one or more of these Job MIB items.

  5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS)

  Bergman                                                        [page 7]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)

  7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS)

  Novell Distributed Print Services is a DPA based job submission protocol
  that conforms to configuration 3.

  7.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to NDPS

  NDPS supports the generation of a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionId
  for use in the Job MIB.

  7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS

  NDPS does not provide a value that can be mapped to jmJobIndex.

  7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS

  MIB Object             | NDPS Parameter
  -----------------------+------------------------------------------------
  jmJobOwner             |

  7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS

  The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or
  command option is provided.

  MIB attribute              | NDPS parameter               | Data type
  ---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
  jobAccountName             |
  serverAssignedJobName      |
  jobName                    |
  jobServiceTypes            |
  numberOfDocuments          |
  fileName                   |
  documentName               |
  jobComment                 |
  documentFormatIndex        |
  documentFormat             |
  jobPriority                |
  jobProcessAfterDateAndTime |
  jobHoldUntil               |
  outputBin                  |
  sides                      |
  finishing                  |
  printQualityRequested      |

  Bergman                                                        [page 8]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  printerResolutionRequested |
  jobCopiesRequested         |
  mediumRequested            |
  jobSubmissionToServerTime  |
  jobSubmissionTime          |

  8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL)

  PJL [PJL] has been developed by Hewlett-Packard to provide job control
  information to the printer and status information to applications,
  independent of the PDL.  PJL is normally transferred using a traditional
  job submission language such as LPR/LPD or NetWare PServer.

  8.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PJL

  PJL has defined the SUBMISSIONID option for the JOB command which
  indicates a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionId for use in the Job MIB.
  The PJL JOB command is presented at the start of a print job with
  options that apply only the attached job.  The syntax for this command
  option is:

        @PJL JOB SUBMISSIONID = `
                                 `id string'
                                            '

  Driver software that implements this PJL command option must provide the
  `
   `id string'
              ' in one of the client version formats specified in the Job
  MIB for jmJobSubmissionId.

  For drivers that are not able to create the SUBMISSIONID option, it is
  recommended that jmJobSubmissionId format 0 be created by the agent
  using the PJL attribute DocOwner or DocOwnerId.

    octet 1:   '0'

    octets 2-40:  Contains the string associated with DocOwner or
                  DocOwnerId.  If the string is less than 40 octets, the
                  left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                  position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be
                  included.  If DocOwner or DocOwnerId cannot be obtained,
                  this field shall be blank.

    octets 41-48:  Contains the value of jmJobIndex associated with the
                   job.

  8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL

  PJL does not provide a value that can be mapped to jmJobIndex.

  8.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL

  Bergman                                                        [page 9]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or
  command option is provided.

  MIB attribute         | PJL attribute or command option  | Data type
  ----------------------+----------------------------------+--------------
  jobOwner              | DocOwner or DocOwnerId attribute | Octet String
  serverAssignedJobName | DocName attribute or the command | Octet String
                        |  @PJL JOB Name = `
                                            `string'
                                                    '        | Octet String
  submittingServerName  | SrcServerName attribute          | Octet String
  jobOriginatingHost    | SrcPort attribute                | Octet String
  queueNameRequested    | SrcQ attribute                   | Octet String
  fileName              | JobFName attribute               | Octet String
  jobComment            | JobDesc attribute                | Octet String
  jobSubmissionTime     | TimeSubmit attribute             | Octet String

  9.0  POSTSCRIPT

  10.0  NETWARE PSERVER

  The NetWare PServer job submission protocol is implemented in a client-
  server-printer system on the server to printer link as defined in
  configuration 3.

  10.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PServer

    octet 1:   '?'   ***** New format req'd ??? *****

    octets 2-40:  Contains the Directory Path Name as recorded by the
                  Novell File Server in the queue directory.  If the
                  string is less than 40 octets, the left-most character
                  in the string shall appear in octet position 2.
                  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be included.

    octets 41-48:  `000XXXXX'  The ASCII representation of the Job Number
                   as per the queue directory.

  10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer

  The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent
  and is independent of the Job Number assigned by the NetWare File
  Server.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs received from
  multiple sources.

  10.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer

  The following mappings are required if the listed PServer parameter is
  provided in the Novell File Server queue directory.

  Bergman                                                        [page 10]


  Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Oct 10, 1997

  MIB attribute              | PServer parameter           | Data type
  ---------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------
  jobOwner                   | Client Id Number            | Integer
  serverAssignedJobName      | Job File Name               | Octet String
  queueNameRequested         | Queue Id                    | Integer
  physicalDevice             | Server Id Number            | Integer
  jobComment                 | Job Description             | Octet String
  jobPriority                |
  jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | Target Execution Time       | Octet String
  jobHoldUntil               |
  jobCopiesRequested         | Number of Copies            | Integer
  mediumRequested            | Form Name                   | Octet String
  jobSubmittedToServerTime   | Job Entry Time              | Octet String

  11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER

  The NetWare NPrinter/RPrinter protocol was designed to transfer print
  data from a Novell File Server to a printer attached directly to a local
  port (e.g. parallel or serial) on a PC.  NPrinter/RPrinter is an
  extremely lightweight printing protocol.  Consequently, no information
  required by the Job Monitoring MIB is provided and a meaningful
  jmJobSubmissionId cannot be generated.

  It is recommended that an additional job submission layer, such as PJL
  or another vendor private protocol,  be included on top of
  NPrinter/RPrinter to provide the required information.  The mapping
  should then be performed according to the recommendations of the higher
  layer submission protocol.

  12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL

  13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI)

  14.0  REFERENCES

  [IPP]  The Internet Printing Protocol RFC XXXX, Model RFC XXXX

  [JobMIB]  The Job Monitoring MIB, RFC XXXX, IETF informational document.

  [LPD]  Line Printer Daemon Protocol, RFC 1179, IETF informational
  document.

  [PJL]  Printer Job Language Technical Reference Manual, Hewlett-Packard
  part number 5021-0328.

  [PrtMIB]  The Printer MIB, RFC 1759, IETF standards track document.

  Bergman                                                        [page 11]

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:36:24 PDT

My virus detection software detected the CAP virus in the .doc file.

It claimed to remove the virus, but it was the same size, so I'm dubious.

Otherwise, I would have replaced it on the PWG server.

Tom









>        @PJL JOB SUBMISSIONID = `
                                 `id
string'
                                            '
>  Driver software that implements this PJL command option must provide the
   `id string'
              ' in one of the client version formats
specified in the Job

              `string'
'        | Octet String

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:32:58 PDT

I checked with my support people and the virus removing software doesn't
change the length of the file, so I reposted the .DOC without the CAP
virus.  I used the same name.  (The old file seems to have been deleted
anyway).

Tom









                                 `id
                                            '
   `id string'

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:29:28 PDT

Ron,

Here are some initial comments.

Tom


>  The Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB] is functional with any job submission

Can we find a better word or phrase than "functional with" here?
How about something like:
The Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB] is intended to be implemented in a device
or server that supports any job submission protocol(s).


>  is the key for the user to locate a submitted job.  Therefore,

Add:                      or client

>  separate files, known as the Data File and Control File respectively.

Need a ","                                                ,


>                  position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be

Need to indicate that traliing SPACES are used for items shorter than 40.

(The MIB describes the trailing spaces once up front.)

Also this description is much different than (but equivalent to) what
is in the Job Mon MIB.  Do you think this is better, so we should change
the MIB?  The MIB description is:

  '9'       octets 2-40: last 39 bytes of the host name with
            trailing SPACES that submitted the job to this
            server/device using a protocol, such as LPD 
            [RFC-1179] which includes the host name in the job 
            submission protocol.
            octets 41-48:  8-decimal-digit leading zero 
            representation of the job id generated by the
            by the submitting server (configuration 3) 
            or the client (configuration 1 and 2), such as in
            the LPD protocol.
            This format is reserved for clients.

>  MIB Object             | LPR/LPD Parameter

Need to identify which ASCII letter code field you mean in above.  There
are several.

>  MIB attribute         | LPR/LPD information             | Data type

I made the comment last meeting that this MIB attribute should be
jobName(23), not serverAssignedJobName(22), but maybe you have changed
your mind.  Or the Job MIB needs some clarification for format 9?  The
serverAssignedJobName(22) is only for configuration 3, but LPD can
be used with configurations 1 and 2 as well.

>  documentName          | The document title name (note 3)| Octet String

Need to identify which ASCII letter code field you mean in above.  There
are several.


>    octet 1:   '?'   ***** NEW TYPE CODE ???? *****

Everyone agree to add this format?


>    octets 41-48:  Contains the job-id job template attribute.

For all three formats, need to add a warning that the range of the
IPP "job-id" attribute could exceed 8 characters, so implementors might
want to limit the range of IPP "job-id" to not exceed 99999999.

>    octet 1:   '?'  ***** New format required ? (1 for clients) *****

Yes, '1' is for clients, but it is IPP clients who assign the "job-name",
so change '?' to '1'.  Or do we have some confusion about what is meant
by reserved to clients vs. agents?

>  originating-user job template attribute shall be used.

I think this should be changed from '4' to '8' (which is also reserved
to clients).

>  received from multiple sources, jmJobIndex and job-id must be

ISSUE:  Need some discussion here.  It would seem to me that an implementation
that supports multiple protocols could assign job ids as the jobs come
in in any protocol.  The jobs that are visible via IPP, could either
show all jobs or show only IPP jobs.  There is no requirement in IPP that
job-ids step by one.  So there could be holes in the IPP job-id values, for
the implementations that couldn't show jobs from other protocols as IPP jobs.
Therefore, I disagree with the last sentence:
>                                                    If jobs are to be

If the jmJobIndex is not the same as the IPP job-id attribute, then
we may need another jobsubmissionID format, so that a client that knows
the IPP "job-id" can find the job.  I had hoped that the jmJobIndex
could always be the same as the IPP "job-id" so that we wouldn't 
have to add an extra submission id format in which the "job-id" (an integer)
is the input.  Though maybe any of the other three ids formats is good
enough?


>  MIB Object                | IPP Job template attribute
Add a note that the mapping is 3 enum values to two integer values

>  jobSubmissionTime          | time-at-pending              | Integer
Changes to:                     time-at-submission

>  sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer

See latest ipp-jmp.doc   .pdf  that I'll post later today.


>  6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)

I'll send this later this weekend in your format.


                                 `id
string'
                                            '
   `id string'

              `string'
'        | Octet String