Subject: JMP> OID Assignment for an Informational RFC MIB

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:27:37 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Chris,

In a recent discussion regarding the submission of the Job Monitoring MIB
as a Informational RFC, the question was raised as to the OID branch that
will be assigned to the MIB.  I mistakely believed that I could answer
this question by looking at some existing Informational RFCs.  It appears
that no MIB documents in this category exist.

We would certainly like to have the Job Monitoring MIB to have an OID in
the mgmt.mib subtree rather than the experimental or the private subtree.
Since it is likely that the Job MIB will be the first document to be
accepted as an Information MIB, what is the position of the IESG as to the
assignment of the base OID?

If this number is in the mgmt.mib subtree, it would certainly resolve most
of our fears as to submitting the MIB as an Informational RFC.  If the
experimental or private subtree must be used, we will certain push harder
for this MIB to be a Standards Track document.

The other possibility discussed was adding the Job MIB as a subtree to the
Printer MIB.  This is functionally not desirable, but would be proposed if
it becomes the only alternative.

Any help you can provide on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:17:23 PDT

How are the SNA MIBs that IBM and Cisco produce given OIDs?

Are they under IBM's enterprise?

Could PWG be registered as an enterprise?

The PWG has already been registered as a domain name under "org".

If PWG was registered as an enterprise, then could the Job Monitoring MIB
be under private.enterprises.nnn?

Tom

----------------------------- [RFC 1902] -------------------------------

Network Working Group                               SNMPv2 Working Group
Request for Comments: 1902                                       J. Case
Obsoletes: 1442                                      SNMP Research, Inc.
Category: Standards Track                                  K. McCloghrie
                                                     Cisco Systems, Inc.
                                                                 M. Rose
                                            Dover Beach Consulting, Inc.
                                                           S. Waldbusser
                                          International Network Services
                                                            January 1996

                  Structure of Management Information
                          for Version 2 of the
              Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2)

[...excerpt]
4.  Naming Hierarchy

   The root of the subtree administered by the Internet Assigned Numbers
   Authority (IANA) for the Internet is:

     internet       OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso 3 6 1 }

   That is, the Internet subtree of OBJECT IDENTIFIERs starts with the
   prefix:

     1.3.6.1.

   Several branches underneath this subtree are used for network
   management:

     mgmt           OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { internet 2 }
     experimental   OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { internet 3 }
     private        OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { internet 4 }
     enterprises    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { private 1 }

   However, the SMI does not prohibit the definition of objects in other
   portions of the object tree.

   The mgmt(2) subtree is used to identify "standard" objects.

   The experimental(3) subtree is used to identify objects being
   designed by working groups of the IETF.  If an information module
   produced by a working group becomes a "standard" information module,
   then at the very beginning of its entry onto the Internet standards
   track, the objects are moved under the mgmt(2) subtree.

   The private(4) subtree is used to identify objects defined
   unilaterally.  The enterprises(1) subtree beneath private is used,
   among other things, to permit providers of networking subsystems to
   register models of their products.
----------------------------- [RFC 1902] -------------------------------