Subject: JMP> ISSUE: Allow private attributes in IETF Job Monitoring MIB?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:00:29 PDT

In IPP, we have a syntax for private (non-registered) extensions, as well
as registered attribute extensions.

It seems we should have the same capability for the ITEF Job Monitoring MIB,
so that any private IPP attribute that an IPP implementor invents, could be 
supported by the same vendor in the IETF Job Monitoring MIB.  My suggestion 
would be to reserve a range of attribute enums for private experimental use 
with clear warnings of interoperatbility problems for such use (and encourage 
registration).

How about allocating a block of enum values for private JMP job attributes
in the range of 2**30 to 2**31-1 (same range as for IPP private operations)?

Comments?

Tom

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:24:35 -0400

Sounds like a prudent thing to do, Tom.  Does anyone have any
objections to this proposal?

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------