Subject: JMP> Thursday evening: Discussion/tutorial on char sets and localizations?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 18:16:16 PDT

I'd be glad to bring copies of relevant RFCs on character sets and
localization for a discussion/tutorial/workshop Thursday night of the
PWG meeting this week for those interested.  Some of the JMP folks have 
indicated an interest for Friday's discussion.  And it will speed up the 
discussion of the character set issues on Friday for the Job Monitoring MIB.

Is there an interest?  Is there time on the agenda Thursday evening?

Questions explored:

What is localization?
What is a coded character set?
What is the relationship between localization and coded character sets?
What is the IANA registry?
How do you tell if two characters are the same?
How do you tell if two character sets are the same?
How are languages indicated?
Should localization be done in a client or a server?
How are coded character sets represented in protocols, such
as SNMP, IPP, DPA, etc.

Relevant RFCs for study [I can bring copies of these]:

   RFC 854        J. Postel, J. Reyolds, "Telnet Protocol Specification,
                  ISI, May 1983.

   RFC 1345       K. Simonsen, "Character Mnemonics & Character Sets", 
                  Rationel Alman Planlaegning, June 1992.

   RFC 1642       Goldsmith, D., and M. Davis, "UTF-7", RFC1642, Taligent,
                  Inc., July 1994.

   RFC 1700       J. Reynolds, and J. Postel, "Assigned Numbers", STD 2, 
                  RFC 1700, ISI, October 1994.

   RFC 1903       J. Case, et al. "Textual Conventions for Version 2 of 
                  the Simple Network Managment Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1903, 
                  January 1996. SMIv2-TC

   RFC 2044       F. Yergeau, "UTF-8, a transformation format of Unicode 
                  and ISO 10646", RFC 2044, October 1996.

   RFC 2130       C. Weider, C. Preston, K. Simonsen, H. Alvestrand, R. 
                  Atkinson, M. Crispin, and P. Svanberg, "The Report of 
                  the IAB Character Set Workshop held 29 Feb-1 March, 1997", 
                  April 1997, RFC 2130.

   The IANA Character Set Registry itself

Related ISO and national coded character set standards (I no longer
have copies of these):

   [GB2312]       GB 2312-1980, "Chinese People's Republic oF China (PRC)
                  mixed one byte and two byte coded character set"

   [ISO 646]      ISO/IEC 646:1991, "Information technology -- ISO 7-bit coded 
                  character set for information interchange", JTC1/SC2.

   [ISO 8859]     ISO/IEC 8859-1:1987, "Information technology -- 8-bit single 
                  byte coded graphic  character sets - 
                  Part 1: Latin alplhabet No. 1, JTC1/SC2."

   [ISO 2022]     ISO/IEC 2022:1994 - "Information technology -- Character code 
                  structure and extension techniques", JTC1/SC2.

   [ISO 10646]    ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993, "Information technology -- Universal 
                  Multiple-Octet Coded Character Set (UCS) - Part 1:
                  Architecture and Basic Multilingual Plane, JTC1/SC2.

   [JIS X0208]    JIS X0208-1990, "Japanese two byte coded character set."

   [US-ASCII]     Coded Character Set - 7-bit American Standard Code for
                  Information Interchange, ANSI X3.4-1986.