Subject: JMP> JobStateReasons -1

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:06:30 -0400

In review, we have one final request to move a jobStateReason. We would
like to see submissionInterrupted moved into Reasons-1.

I would also like to share the jobStateReasons which we have found the
most practical and useful.

deviceStopped - open cover, paper jam etc.

jobPrinting - from first to last page unless there is an error or the
              printer goes offline

submissionInterrupted - I/O timeout occurs

processingToStoppedPoint - between cancel request and actual end of
                           cancel operation

serviceOffline - printer is offline (with or without errors)

canceledByOperator - canceled at the printer

canceledByUser - canceled remotely

We think there is benefit in a design that relies mainly on the Reasons-1
category due to it's mandatory distinction. This is why we have requested
a few jobStateReasons be moved to Reasons-1.

I'd like to offer our interpretation, above, as sort of a "Top 7" (akin to
the Alert table top 25) and see if others agree. I know, offhand, that our
interpretation of the canceled reasons is a bit different than the strict
definitions and may not fit the server implementation exactly. If anyone
reads the strict definitions, when you are finished chuckling, you may
want to help explain them. I think they're from DPA;-) ;-) ;-).

Harry Lewis

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:50:54 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Since no objections to Harry's proposed change (and this could be
classified as editorial), this change will be accepted.

	...Ron