Subject: JMP> Nashua JMP Minutes

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:39:51 -0400

I have posted  the June JMP minutes to ftp/pub/pwg/jmp/minutes/jmp-0697.pdf
and txt. The minutes are quite brief. See Tom Hastings issues for more detail.
A PLT (pretty lousy text) version is attached...

Minutes of the PWG - JMP Nashua, June, 1997

IETF Disclaimer

Although decisions regarding the development of IETF standards
are ultimately wrought via the internet, face-to-face meetings
of interested parties capable of attending can often accelerate
the consensus process. The PWG facilitates such meetings on a
monthly basis for active workgroups. These are the (very brief)
minutes of the PWG meeting of the Job MIB Project which
currently pertains directly to the IETF chartered Job MIB
working group.

JMP Meeting

The PWG JMP meeting started after dinner on Thursday, June 26.
The meeting ran from appx. 8pm to 11pm. The JMP meeting
continued Friday, June 27 between 8:30AM and 12:30PM. During
these two meetings, all known outstanding issues were covered,
discussed and resolved among the attendees. See Tom Hastings PWG
ftp/pub/pwg/jmp/contributions/ISSUES.pdf for complete details.

Two issues resulted in structural change to the MIB.

1. Moving the attribute JobOwner directly into the
JobStateTable. This was to accommodate "out-of'band" UNIX spool
and print job monitors which use JobOwner as a key identifier.

2. Enlarging jmJobSubmissionID to 48 bytes total, swapping the
order of the numeric vs. string parts and making this object
fixed length.

Two other issues have been introduced by Xerox post meeting.
One, a severe change, is the recommendation to split the
attribute table into separate tables for Integer and Octet
values. Currently, a job attribute may have an Integer and/or
Octet value, both of which are represented in the same table
entry. The other new issue pertains to localization. Again, see
Tom's updated issues list.

There was overriding consensus at the Nashua JMP meeting that no
further issues are to be encouraged! This consensus should be
tested via the mailing list for IETF purposes.

We did not pass a sign-up sheet, but this is my best
recollection of who attended the Nashua JMP. Please feel free to
correct this list.

* Lee Farrell - Canon

* Jeff Copeland - QMS

* Bob Pentecost - HP

* Tom Hastings - Xerox

* Harry Lewis - IBM

* Stuart Rowley - Kyocera

* J.K. Martin - Underscore

* Chuck Adams - Tektronix

* Rick Landau - Digital

* Angelo Caruso - Xerox

* Jasper Wong - Xionics

* Charles Gordon - Osicom

* David Kellerman - Northlake Software

* Lloyd Young - Lexmark

* Jeff Rackowitz - Intermec Corp

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
rent

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:58:26 PDT

Harry,

Good summary.

Tom

At 22:39 07/10/97 PDT, Harry Lewis wrote:
snip...
>Tom's updated issues list.

Xerox did not bring up these issues.  They were brought up by
David Perkins, noted SNMP expert.  We had asked him to comment
on our draft.  Since he only send the comments back to me, I forwarded
them on to the JMP.

(His comments were sent to me at 1:00am on Friday of our Nashua meeting.
I did not see them in the AM to bring to the meeting.  Either I was too
sleepy, or there was some delay in the mail systems.)

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:20:28 -0400

Tom, my apologies for assuming Dave Perkins and Xerox were one in the same.
I only recall seeing Dave's comments in a note originating from you where you
had performed some editing ... leading to my incorrect assumption. If Dave's
note made it directly to the PWG I must have missed it.

In any case, are we in agreement to leave the Attribute table as one unit, as
originally designed?

----------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 07/25/97 01:16 PM
-------------

        [email-masked]
        07/24/97 06:04 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet

To: Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS
cc: [email-masked] @ internet
Subject: Re: JMP> Nashua JMP Minutes

Harry,

Good summary.

Tom