Subject: JMP> 5 alternatives for indicating code set (Issues 111 and

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:27:06 -0400

I would assert that the "coded character set problem" only pertains to
3 objects (or attributes) in the Job MIB...

>ISSUE 111 (restated):  How does an application determine the coded character
>set for the 3 objects and attributes that the agent generates (that did not
>come from the job submitter)?
>
>The following objects and attributes are in question:
>
>  jmGeneralJobSetName object
>  processingMessage attribute
>  physicalDevice (name value) attribute

because all other strings are passed in upon submission by presumably any
and many different protocols with various limitations - one of which is
not being able to specify localization (PJL for example).

If we accept my premise, then I suggest treating job MIB "localization"
*very differently*  from the way we have for PMP and IPP... I propose
JUST GET RID OF THOSE 3 OBJECTS  and do it quickly before we generate
another 50 URGENT mail messages!!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems