Subject: Re:JMP>Version 0.83 Document

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:20:08 -0400

I agree with Ron that we need to see v.83 ASAP!

>I propose that version 0.83 not include the changes to split the
>attribute table or to add a coded character set attribute.  Lets
>keep those items open for now until we can reach an agreement.

There were many decisions made in Nashua and a major re-indexing post
Nashua... all of which needs to be seen.

With respect to the issues... I have posted my responses to both the table
split and char set issues and have received no further "rebuttal". Aside from
believing that it's just way too late for major changes such as the table
split, I believe I have effectively argued the benefits of leaving things
as they are. As for char set... we have established that we can't always
rely on the submission protocol to "localize" the attributes which are passed
in.

In Nashua, we had addressed all open issues. I believe any currently open
issue has been introduced since Nashua. I know the IETF rules specify that
consensus happens on the e-mail, not in the meeting. I don't know whether to
characterize the lack of  e-mail  discussion regarding these last issues as
resulting from:

1. Stalemate
2. Vacations
3. Lack of interest
4. Giving-up

We can't keep having meetings, closing issues and then bringing issues back
up on e-mail but not resolving them there. I think we should declare the period
between now and Seattle (about 3 weeks... should be plenty of time) as the
time to openly air your thoughts on any and all JMP known issues with the
understanding that Seattle will nail the lid on the first job MIB once and for
all and agree that any unresolved or new issues that arise after Seattle, by
definition, go into some future draft (like the printer MIB).

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 20:07:54 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Harry on both of these issues.  And I also agrre that
since there has not been any support presented via email, these
issues should be dropped.

If anyone has a different opinon, please respond.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.