Subject: Re: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: Are there

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 18:09:26 PDT

At 07:39 05/28/97 PDT, Ron Bergman wrote:

snip..

> 
>RB> Tom, I still have a hard time justifying that enums for an object
>RB> are "mandatory" or "conditionally-mandatory".  It made some sense
>RB> for the Attribute Table but for objects in the Job State Table this
>RB> generating significant confusion.  I still prefer that the *object*
>RB> jmJobState be "mandatory" and the enums for the object are implied
>RB> to be "conditionally mandatory".

So some say make all the job state enums mandatory and some say make
them all conditionally mandatory.

As I've tried to reason before, the 'completed' state is one of the
most important states to make mandatory, not conditionally mandatory.

Most printers today do not have a 'completed' state, at least not one
that lasts for a human perceptable time.  So if JMP doesn't make the
'completed' state mandatory, no one need implement it.

Doesn't that make sense to include 'completed' in the conformance 
ASN.1 at the back, like we did for Reset in the Printer MIB?

Tom