Subject: Re: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: Are ther

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:15:38 -0400

Combining from a couple previous notes...

>As I've tried to reason before, the 'completed' state is one of the
>most important states to make mandatory, not conditionally mandatory.

>Most printers today do not have a 'completed' state, at least not one
>that lasts for a human perceptable time.  So if JMP doesn't make the
>'completed' state mandatory, no one need implement it.

>Tom

These two statements are contradictory. If most printers don't
have a completed state then how can we possibly make completed state
mandatory?

I am not in favor of describing job states as mandatory or conditionally
mandatory but I agree that COMPLETED is probably the most "interesting"
state and would go along with applying some architectural emphasis
(like was done for prtGeneralReset).

>Then such a printer shall implement the conditionally mandatory
>pending state.  But an implementation that never waited a human perceptible
>time should not have to implement the 'pending' state.  Imagine that you
>are building a product that is going to be tested against by a testing
>company.  If 'pending' is mandatory and your product doesn't ever show
>'pending', that testing company might say you didn't conform to the
>standard.

I agree with Tom's imagination. All the more reason NOT to specify job
state enumerations as mandatory (except, possibly for Completed).

Harry