Subject: JMP> Re: "Held" is not Active

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:20:44 PDT

I don't remember the discussion.

The definition of which job states include "active" has affect on the
following objects:

jmGeneralNumberOfActiveJobs	Integer32(0..2147483647),
jmGeneralOldestActiveJobIndex	Integer32(0..2147483647),
jmGeneralNewestActiveJobIndex	Integer32(0..2147483647),

I had assumed that the fact that a job was in the 'held' state still
meant that it would be included in the jmGeneralNumberOfActiveJobs,
since 'held' is just a variant of the 'pending' state
(though you could make an argument that a held job isn't as likely
to be processed as other jobs that are pending and so shouldn't be included
in the count of active jobs which is an indication of the business of the
printer).

On the other hand, an application that is using the OldestActiveJobIndex
might not want to miss jobs that are in the 'held' state.  Similarly,
when an idle printer accepts a job that is in the 'held' state, I don't think
we want the agent to keep the NewestActiveJobIndex at 0.

So I thought it was simpler to include 'held' jobs as active.  So all the
states on the left of the picture are the "active" states, and the
three terminal states on the right of the picture are in-active states.

Ok?

Tom

At 10:16 06/05/97 PDT, Harry Lewis wrote:
>Tom,
>
>>So how does this picture look to you for IPP and JMP (IPP wouldn't
>>have the enums and wouldn't have the "active/in-active" line, since
>>it is a JMP-only term).
>
>I thought we agreed, in Austin, that Held was not Active.
>
>Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
>
>