Subject: JMP> Comments on Comments from Harry Lewis

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 18:37:46 -0700 (PDT)

Here are my comments since I will not be attending the meeting.

1. deviceAlertCode (6) needs pointer to the SNMP alert table.

I thought that this issue had been discussed before.  It was 
agreed that, if the printer MIB was implemented, all the details
could be obtained from the Alert Table.  The application would
automatically go to the Alert Table.  No index would be needed 
since all critical alerts would be applicable.  (Warnings could
be ignored or displayed.)

Especially since it is proposed that this attribute be multi row,
let's not provide any information that can easily be obtained
from the alert table.  Also, remember that this condition is an
exception and does not have to be retrieved except during the
fault.

  ISSUE 104: My vote is NO.

2. deviceAlertCode (6) it may be multivalued

I agree.

3. What happened to serverAssignedJobNumber

  ISSUE 105: I agree, but just a very short, simple sentence.  No
    examples or detailed discussion of how to encode a numeric into
    an ASCII string.

4. Persistence of serverAssignedJobName

I wish I could hear the discussion on this topic!  I am not in favor
of a different persistence for objects within a table.  However, as
we said in San Diego, this will increase the size of the Job State
table.

  ISSUE 106:  I will support the groups decision.

  ISSUE 93:  If it is agreed that this attribute requires a longer
    persistence then it should be moved to the Job State table.  
    The request to make more attributes mandatory should be rejected.
    jobName and jobSubmissionTime are not available in all devices.

5. jobProcessAfterDateAndTime (51) - Octets vs Integer

Agree this should be Octet String.

6. Eliminate "timeSince" attributes

  ISSUE 107: Yes!

7. IMPLIED/IMPLICIT

  ISSUE 108: If Ira Mcdonald is correct, this cannot change.

8. "Requested Attribute" defaults

  ISSUE 109:  The agent cannot supply the defaults since it is not
    a part of the Job Submission process or can it set parameters
    on the printer.  (This is related to the "Cameras not missiles"
    slogan.)  If the agent has knowledge of the value the printer
    will use, it should be provided regardless if it is the value
    requested or the default.

	Ron Bergman