Subject: JMP> Re: Charter Update Request (fwd)

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:46:27 PDT

Keith,

What other lists do you suggest sending the Job Monitoring MIB to
in order to get comments before LAST CALL?

I'd be glad to do that.

Also who determines "LAST CALL" for comments?  How is that done and to
whom?  I'm not familiar with that step.

Thanks,
Tom

At 10:17 05/23/97 PDT, Keith Moore wrote:

snip...

>> P.S. We have gotten no feed back from anyone outside the printmib WG
>> on the first Internet-Draft Job Monitoring MIB that we submitted a few 
>> weeks ago as <draft-ietf-printmib-job-monitor-00.txt> and was published
>> as an I-D on 4/30/97.  Should we be worried about this?
>
>I wouldn't consider it unusual, if that's what you mean.
>Network management isn't exactly an attractive topic, even to most
>IETFers, and so many Internet-Drafts are released that it's possible
>that it escaped the notice of some people who might be interested.
>People tend to pay more attention to Last Calls, which is unfortunate
>because such feedback really needs to occur earlier.
>
>It doesn't hurt to actively solicit reviews from people or mailing lists
>other than the working group mailing list.
> 
>Keith
>
>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:16:59 -0400

> whom?  I'm not familiar with that step.

Since JOB MIB isn't part of printmib's charter, this will be
handled as an individual submission, and can be submitted at
any time the authors feel that the document is ready.

To submit the draft, follow the procedure listed in
http://www.apps.ietf.org/apps/procedures.html
under the heading "Standards without a WG"
(which in turm references the section "Standards from a WG")

Strictly speaking, the submission should come from the document
authors.  (IESG may refer the document to a working group -- 
say, the printmib working group -- for review, in which case the
chair of that group should determine whether that group has any
objections to the proposal... though if there's already a clear
indication of concensus on the printmib mailing list, we won't 
bother with the actual referral...)

As for where else to get comments, I'd certainly recommend having
SNMP experts look it over for soundness (if it hasn't been done
already), and you could send it to the APPS directorate at 
[email-masked].

You might also ask the O&M area directors, since they handle
most SNMP-related stuff.

Keith