Subject: Re[4]: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: A

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:23:17 -0400

Tom, 
     
     Quite so. Yet I would not put reflecting job state in the same class 
     as requiring the ability to implement a reset. That is, it is not 
     reasonable to require that a printer implement a given set of states, 
     only to report on the states that it does implement. I take this as 
     the intent of Ron's suggestion and believe it to be most appropriate.
     
     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: Re[2]: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: A
Author:  Tom Hastings <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    5/28/97 2:07 AM

Bill,

You are forgetting the prtGeneralReset object in the Printer MIB
which is an enum.

There are a few values that are mandatory and the Conformance
in the back explicitly lists which values are mandatory.

So we have the same situation for the JMP.

Tom

At 11:47 05/27/97 PDT, Bill Wagner wrote:
>     I certainly can agree. I was rather wondering about all the 
>     discussion. It was my understanding that objects can be mandatory, not 
>     values of the object variable.
>     
>     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI
>
>
>______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
>Subject: Re: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: Are ther
>Author:  JK Martin <[email-masked]> at Internet
>Date:    5/27/97 2:16 PM
>
>
>Ron,
>
>> The object jmJobState should be mandatory.  All possible enums for this
>> object must be reported if implemented and available to the agent.  (I 
>> sent another email on this subject with more info earlier today.)
>> 
>> Does this make more sense?  
>
>Yes!  I like your wording.  Can everyone else agree to this?
>
>        ...jay
>
>

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:01:04 -0400

It would be quite interesting to sift through the archives and find the
discussion leading to the decision to make 2 enum values "mandatory" for
prtGeneralReset...

>So we have the same situation for the JMP.

... but I would like to observe that, for prtGeneralReset, the set of
"mandatory" supported values is *very* small, and (as I recall) agreed upon
with the understanding that these are basically natural states of *every*
printer. The two mandatory values are

 notResetting
 resettingToNVRAM

Not resetting is a no-brainer. As defined, it has NO EFFECT on the printer.
And, again, it would be interesting to re-live, but I recall discussion about
printers that don't have NVRAM or can't reset to NVRAM in which case the
behavior would be device specific (behavior is device specific anyway because
there is no definition of what must be in NVRAM, if anything.).

I think this is distinctly different than saying a printer or job agent MUST
support a job state like "completedWithWarnings"!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---------------------- Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 05/29/97 09:43 AM
 ---------------------------

        [email-masked]
        05/28/97 03:20 AM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet

To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc: [email-masked] @ internet, [email-masked] @ internet
Subject: Re: Re[2]: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC [ISSUE: A

Bill,

Tom