Subject: JMP> jmJobState and jmJobStateReasonsTC

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, 

In reviewing the Job MIB relative to the job states, I noticed that 
the descriptions for jmJobState and JmJobStateTC are almost identical.
I would like the specification for jmJobState to appear only once,
and only in the jmJobState description.  I propose that these
descriptions be revised as follows:

jmJobState:
-----------
"The current state of the job (pending, processing, held, etc.). The 
final value for this attribute shall be either completed or canceled, 
before the agent removes the job from the table.

Management applications shall be prepared to receive all the standard 
job states.  Servers and devices are not required to generate all job 
states, only those which are appropriate for the particular 
implementation.  The corresponding attributes JmJobStateReasons1 through
JmJobStateReasons5 provide additional information about the job states.  
While new job states cannot be added without impacting deployed clients, 
it is the intent that additional Job State Reasons enums can be defined 
without impacting deployed clients."

JmJobStateTC:
-------------
"Defines the current state of the job."

A similar situation exists for jobStateReasons1 and JmJobStateReasons1TC.
Again, my recommendation is:

jobStateReasons:
----------------
---OCTETS:  Additional information about the job's current state that 
augments jmJobState.  The jobStateReasons1 attribute identifies the 
reason or reasons that the job is in the held, pending, processing, 
needsAttention, canceled, or completed state.  The agent shall indicate 
the particular reason(s) by setting the value of the jobStateReasons1 
attribute.  When the job does not have any reasons for being in its 
current state, the agent shall set the value of the jobStateReasons1 
attribute to 0.

Companion job state reasons Textual Conventions: JmJobStateReasons2TC, 
JmJobStateReasons3TC, JmJobStateReasons4TC, are defined/reserved for an 
additional 93 job state reasons for use with the corresponding 
attributes: jobStateReasons2, jobStateReasons3, and jobStateReasons4.   
This is a type 2 bit definition.

JmJobStateReasons1TC:
---------------------
"This textual-convention is used with the jobStateReasons1 attribute to 
provides additional information regarding jmJobState.

The following standard values are defined (in hexadecimal) as powers of 
two, since multiple values may be used at the same time:

If anyone objects to these changes, please respond by June 13.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.