Subject: JMP> Lets read the IPP/JMP job-state/job-state-reasons spec

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 02:07:45 PDT

Lets read the job-state/job-state-reasons spec for IPP and JMP that I
posted Tuesday, 27-May, as the result from the telecon, last Wedneday.
(Files: jobstatr.* and jobstate.*).

There are page numbers and line numbers. Lets make comments on the spec
referring to the page and line numbers that show problems.  I think we
can make a lot more progress that way.

They were developed as a result of the agreement in principle from San
Diego that IPP and JMP align.  Then we had the IPP/JMP telecon on Wed,
5/21, as planned in San Diego at which Ron, Harry, and Stuart were 
regrettably absent. 

The joint spec will be on the IPP telecon, 5/28, for a short time
to see if there is a need to have a separate IPP Model telecon or not.
JMP people should call in for that part of the discussion if they want
to try to convince IPP to make changes.

IPP Phone number: (309)671-1035  code: 190148, time: 1-3pm PDT (4-6 EDT).
 
After reviewing these specs, if JMP decides that it wants to add some job 
states to the Job Monitoring MIB so that a JMP agent that is instrumenting 
an IPP system can cleanly map, then lets decide to do so.  But only after 
reading the spec and deciding that it isn't sufficient or isn't clear to the 
users of the applications or isn't what a Job Monitoring MIB application 
needs for handling our three configurations.

So far the discussion seems to be (compared with the joint IPP/JMP spec):
1. whether to add a held job state.
2. whether to add a needAttention job state
3. how should pending jobs be handled when the printer stops/needs attention.

There is also other discussions about mandatory and conditionally mandatory
attributes and enums and whether jmJobStateReasons1 is an object or an
attribute.  Please read the spec first and then make comments based on it.

Ok?

Thanks,
Tom