Subject: JMP> Job state implementation questions for Unix-based print queues

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 15:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry for the cross-post, but given that the PWG is desparately trying
to reconcile common aspects between the Job MIB and IPP, both groups
need to consider/review this topic.

Print queues on Unix systems (both BSD and System V) provide ways for
the system administrator to control an individual print queue:

  Enable/Disable   Control whether jobs can be submitted to the queue
                   by end users.  (This is termed "Accept" and "Reject"
                   on System V platforms.)

  Start/Stop       Control the despooling of queued jobs to the target
                   output device; if a queue is "stopped", then all
                   queued jobs stay in a "pending" state until the queue
                   is started.

Also, a system administrator can selectively delete jobs from a target
queue; on System V platforms the "cancel" command is used, while on
BSD platforms either the "lprm" command or "lpc abort" command may be
used.

Some questions:

  1.  If a queue has been stopped, what should each job indicate for its
      job state?

  2.  If a queue is stopped, how can the user easily detect this
      critical queue-specific state?

  3.  Similarly, if a queue is disabled, how can the user detect
      this state?

  4.  If a system administrator deletes a job from a queue, what should
      the state and job reason(s) reflect?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------