Subject: JMP> Re: IPP> Resolving IPP/JMP job-state and job-state-reasons differences:

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 12:01:49 -0700

Good analysis Tom.

The following is my opinion on what should change to align IPP and JobMIB.
I think that IPP and the JobMIB each offer some good ideas.

I would like to keep the job states very simple and make sure that
they go in a simple progression with detours handled by job-state-reasons.
We mostly did that in IPP, but the JobMIB did a better job at the end of
the job.

I suggest that the IPP (and JobMIB) state progression be:

                        ---> completed
pending -> processing - | 
                        ---> canceled

Even though canceled could be handled by a job-state-reason under completed,
I think that it is an important reminder that the job didn't complete
for some reason, hopefully explained in the job-state-reasons.

This means that there are the following job-state-reasons: 

   o job-held during the pending state
   o printer-stopped during the pending or processing state
   o job-retained during the completed or canceled state.

It also means that the follow IPP states go away:

   o terminating becomes canceled which has a longer duration
   o retained becomes a job-state-reasons job-retained

I would prefer that both IPP and the JobMIB adopt these states. It
requires changes for both, but I think it is a better solution than
either currently offers.

Bob Herriot