Subject: JMP> Re: IPP> Job state implementation questions for Unix-based print queues

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:28:52 -0600

Here is how I see it....

>>> JK Martin <[email-masked]> 05/25 1:50 PM >>>
>  1.  If a queue has been stopped, what should each job indicate for its
>      job state?

job-state = 'pending' with a job-state-reason = 'printer-stopped'

>  2.  If a queue is stopped, how can the user easily detect this
>      critical queue-specific state?

printer-state = 'stopped',  add a new reason to describe this - something
like
printer-state-reasons = 'stopped-by-operator'.

>  3.  Similarly, if a queue is disabled, how can the user detect
>      this state?

The Printer has a boolean attribute called "printer-is-accepting-jobs".  If
the value is 'true' the Printer (and its queue have been enabled) otherwise
the value is 'false'.

>  4.  If a system administrator deletes a job from a queue, what should
>      the state and job reason(s) reflect?

We added the state 'cancelled' and the reason would be
'cancelled-by-operator'.

job-state = 'cancelled', job-state-reasons = 'cancelled-by-operator'

Scott