Subject: JMP> Job MIB Comments

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 01:52:17 -0400

Classification:

Tom, thank you for the fine work on the Job MIB draft. I am sure we will make
rapid progress from this point.

I've done a very quick review and have the following initial comments (working
from the jmp-mibv.pdf draft):

 1. Line 1175 - I do not think we should start the MIB at jobmonMIB5.
    I understand, this is a hold-over from the printer MIB where we
    needed to align with a printer MIF and you just didn't have time
    to correct this. I want to mention it as a comment to this draft
    so it will surely be addressed. I think leaving space for the
    conformance statement is a good idea, so I propose starting the
    job MIB at jobmonMIB2.

 2. Line 1197 - What possessed you to rearrange the order of the
    jmGeneralEntry sequence? Your previous draft had JobSetName,
    JobPersistence, AttributePersistence, NumberActive, Oldest,
    Newest. The reordering just makes busy work for anyone who
    has been trying to keep up with a prototype (unless there is
    a good reason, of course).

 3. Line 1350 - I don't think the name of an OID should necessarily
    contain the word "index" if the name is otherwise fully self
    describing. For instance, jmJobSubmissionID is sufficient to
    NAME this OID, even though it is used as an index.

 4. Line 1483 - Is there an SNMP rule that every name in a table
    has to start with the same set of words. For example, why
    do we need the word STATE in jmJobStateKOctetsCompleted and
    jmJobStateImpressionsCompleted?

 5. Line 1602 - Again, I think it is very confusing to tag the word
    "index" onto the end of the object names jmAttributeTypeIndex and
    jmAttributeInstanceIndex, just because these objects are used to
    index the table. I think the names should be shortened to
    jmAttributeType and jmAttributeIndex.

Tom, I know it's a lot of work to produce this draft. My comments may
seem like "nits"... I hope you take this as a good sign... if this
is the extent of all our comments then it means we have come very
close to consensus on the Job Monitoring MIB - FINALLY!!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
    objects happen to be used to index the table.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems