Subject: JMP> Re: Comments on the Job MIB version 0.8

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:08:22 -0400

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

I think Steve Waldbusser may have written this, but I'm not sure since my
e-mail did not capture his address...

>> 2. Why was the first group assigned to printmib 5, instead of printmib 1?
>>
>> (printmib 2 is assigned to Conformance at the end).
>
>I don't remember. Did we delete some groups at the beginning?

Hey! Am I the *only* one who remembers this bit of Printer MIF/MIB trivia?
We began the printmib at 5 for compatibility with the MIF, in that the MIF
REQUIRED additional groups. Every MIF must start with a "Component ID Group"
then I had to find a way to add in something analogous to the Interfaces,
Storage and Device tables since DMTF had no hrMIB to relate to. Thus... the
General group starting at 5!

>
>> 3. Should the Job Monitoring MIB do 1 and 2 the same as the Printer MIB
>>or not?
>
>Definitely on #1, maybe on #2 (depends on whether it was for a good reason).
>
>Steve

If anything, we'd start at 2 to make room for the Component ID, but, since we're
not doing a Job MIF, I don't think it matters.

Harry Lewis.