Subject: JMP> Recalling PWG removal of job client id map from Job Monitoring MIB

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:05:34 PST

Here is the change history from the 1.5 year old Job Monitoring MIB
that is posted on the PWG server.  Point number 7 shows that we considered
the client id to server id map at the 11-Sept-1995 PWG meeting
and decided to remove it from the MIB proposal.

I'm glad that Harry's team has discovered its value through prototyping
and that he will be proposing the idea to the JMP this Friday (from the 
slides he posted last Friday).

Tom

The following changes were made from version 0.5, dated 11-Sep-1995 to 
make version 0.6, dated 20-Sep-1995 (the first 9 changes are as a result of
the review at the 18-Sept IETF/DMTF PWG meeting:

1. Clarified that the mandatory objects are for a printer and the optional
attributes are for print spooling systems.

2. Indicated that the job information retained by the agent after a job
completes is intended for use by: management stations used by system
operators, a remote console capability, end-user monitoring, system
accounting, and system usage programs.

3. Clarified the requirement that the job monitoring MIB is intended to be
used with print systems that do not implement ISO DPA, as well as with ones
that do.

4. Added the goal that the current proposal is for print jobs, but that the
MIB should be designed so that a future MIB could augment this job
monitoring MIB for monitoring scan and FAX jobs.

5. Indicated that this job monitoring MIB must be designed to be used with
SNMPv1 and SNMPv2, including the different security mechanisms provided.

6. Clarified that if job control functions (cancel job, etc.) are to be
provided, they should be provided by a separate job control MIB, that would
be a companion MIB to this job monitoring MIB.

7. Removed the idea that the agent keeps a client job id to server job id
map, since such complication in an agent is against SNMP philosophy of
keeping agents simple (and putting the smarts into management stations).

8. Clarified the goal about legacy protocols.

9. Added goal of supplying only objects that are of interest to the system
operator and system administrator, as opposed to the end user, since that is
the focus of job managment MIBs.