Subject: JMP> Max number of jobs

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:05:39 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

In my view, max number of jobs *cannot* be defined as the wrap point for
jmJobIndex!

>Issue 49 - Should we change the definition of the jmGeneralMaxNumberOfJobs
>to jmGeneralMaxJobIndex meaning the maximum value that the jmJobIndex object
>can have and the roll over to 1 happens for the next job received?  Or add
>jmGeneralMaxJobIndex as another object in the General table?  Then the
>monitoring application would know what the roll over limit would be.  For
>agents that instrument servers or printers that use a job identifier of 0,
>the actual maximum number would be one more than the actual job identifier
>that the server or printer generates.  So for LPD, the value of
>jmGeneralMaxJobIndex would by 1000, not 999.

The jmJobIndex is a large integer specifically to prevent identical ID's from
existing within any reasonable time window. If a printer can only hold
information about (say) 20 jobs and it wraps at 21, then there is a chance that
two different jobs may appear to have the same ID (1). A wrap at the max value
of a vary large integer will prevent this from occurring.

My opinion.

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:57:59 -0500 (EST)

Harry,

You are absolutely correct.  As a matter of fact, we had one customer
who actually had Sun "enhance" LPD so that the 1000 job limit could be
overcome, as many of their Unix-based print queues were receiving jobs
faster than they could process them...and hence, rolled past the limit
of 1000 simultaneous jobs (ie, job IDs between 0 and 999).

Why exactly would a mgmt app need to know the roll-over point for the
job index, anyway?  Can someone explain why this is necessary and/or
desirable?

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Tue Apr  1 15:19 EST 1997
From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: JMP> Max number of jobs
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:05:39 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:

My opinion.

----- End Included Message -----