Subject: RE: JMP> Resource Table - Missile or Camera

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:27:34 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

Tom,

>So now we have just the following objects in the Attribute table:

>The Attribute Group (Mandatory)*78
>jmAttributeTypeIndex*80
>jmAttributeInstanceIndex*81
>jmAttributeValueAsInteger*81
>jmAttributeValueAsOctets*82

>Ok?

I think so although where is the jmJobIndex? I expected this to be the first
index (other than, perhaps jobSet).

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 19:38:06 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:

I think this clarification helps. We may also need specific guidelines per
object but these should just be a formalization of what is obvious by the name
of the attribute..
------ Forwarded by Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM on 04/01/97 05:31 PM ----

        [email-masked]
        04/01/97 10:04 AM

To: [email-masked]@internet
cc: [email-masked]@internet
Subject: RE: JMP> Resource table - Missile or Camera

At 18:11 02/13/97 PST, Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Lloyd wrote:
>
>>I do not think it is likely that any system will ever fill in the values for a
>>particular resource that are required to process the job before the job starts
>>processing. It would make this whole thing simpler if we changed the first
>>sentence and said "The type of resource, e.g. medium, ink, staples,
>>processing-time, color-impressions, etc. that are consumed while
>>processing the job. This value is updated while the job processes.
>>With this wording change, the resources now are stricly what is
>>consumed in processing the job.
>
>Lloyd, I'd like to agree, but this gets to my original point...
>If you are using SNMP to poll the job table and want to display
>(based on your findings) "Page 1 of 3 is printing" then the
>number of pages requested (3) *has* to be filled out by the agent
>and *cannot* be overwritten as the pages begin to be consumed.

I've tried to clarify the current Internet draft 00.
The description of the JmAttributeTypeTC start off with:

Attributes may represent information about a job, such as a file-name, or a
document-name, or submission-time or completion time.  Attributes may also
represent resources required, e.g., a medium or a colorant , etc. to process
the job before the job start processing OR to indicate the amount of the
resource that is being consumed while the job is processing, e.g., pages
completed or impressions completed.  If both a required and a consumed value
of a resource is needed, two separate attribute enums are assigned in the
textual convention.

Is that clear enough?

>Harry Lewis

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:36:27 PST

Yes, the Attribute Table has four indexes (all currently listed
as not-accessible):

 jmJobSetIndex
 jmJobIndex
 jmAttributeTypeIndex
 jmAttributeInstanceIndex

Only jmAttributeTypeIndex and jmAttributeInstanceIndex are in the 
jmAttributeEntry SEQUENCE though, because jmJobSetIndex (in the General 
table SEQUENCE) and jmJobIndex (in the Job table SEQUENCE) appear elsewhere
in the MIB.  Isn't that correct SNMP?

Issue 57 deals with making jmAttributeTypeIndex read-only so that we
can mention the sheetsCompleted as a mandatory enum.

Tom

>index (other than, perhaps jobSet).

Correct, but because they are not-accessible, none of the indexes can
be listed in the conformance group section.

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 00:40:17 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:

I do not understand the need for requested values for any of the
following "attributes" within the context of a resource accounting
table such as we have defined.

>Most attributes are either the requested value or the consumed (updated
>as the job progresses), but not both.  The only attributes that are both
>requested/used are:

>outputBinIndex*56
>outputBinIndex*56
>outputBinName*56
>sides*56
>documentFormatIndex*56
>documentFormatEnum*56
>physicalDeviceIndex*57
>physicalDeviceName*57

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:19:27 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:

Tom, I think you missed my point here,

   TOM SAID
>By the way all of the attributes that you listed are the ones for
>which we don't have separate attributes (or multiple entries) for
>requested vs. consumed.  In otherwords, the same entry is used for
>both (and the requested and consumed value should be the same, so it
>wasn't worth having two enums for each.  See Ron Berman mail on this
>subject.

   HARRY HAD SAID
>>>as the job progresses), but not both.  The only attributes that are both

Key word in my statements is REQUESTED. I was trying to make the point,
regarding requested/consumed, that requested is unnessary for these
attributes. Can you give me an example of why they would be needed?