Subject: JMP> JMP Internet Draft didn't make the cutoff

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:54:54 PST

I'm terribly embarrassed, but I didn't make the IETF cutoff time
for the Job Monitoring MIB.

I just talked to Steve Coya of the IETF staff.
He said that there is no problem with discussing what was supposed to
be the I-D, at the IETF meeting next week, as long as the printmib
chair (Chris Wellens and Don) agree.  Most chairs don't have a problem
with discussing papers that aren't I-Ds.  The unfortunate thing is that
we don't get feed back from non-PWG members.  Ok Chris to discuss the
Job Monitoring MIB draft at the printmib meeting next week, even though
it wasn't posted as an Internet Draft?  I don't know how we can advertize
the location of the document on the pwg server to others who might attend.

Also we have to resubmit the draft after the meeting.  The IETF doesn't
keep a queue.  I suggest that we submit it as soon as we can, in order 
to get more IETF feed back, rather than waiting for the next IETF meeting
where all the I-Ds get bunched up.

What happened:

Steve said that my Email didn't
make the 5:00 pm EST (2:00 pm PST) cutoff time by 4 minutes on
March 26.  The IETF looks at the posting time, not the arrival time, 
so mail delays don't enter in.

Unfortuantely, when I went to send the I-D at 1:50 pm PST, my mail 
server was down, even though everything else on my Sun workstation was 
working fine.  So I had to copy the file to a diskette and send it from 
Stan's PC.  By that time, I had run past 5:00 pm by 4 minutes.  I've never
seen this problem before.  Sorry.

Even if I had gotten it posted, it still had the overstrike formatting
problem.  While I think it could have been printed ok, it isn't readable
on a screen.  The lines that are overstruck with CR and a bunch of spaces
appear on the next line on the screen.  I'm in the process of getting a
program to undo overstrikes that the Generic text print driver uses
to output page number, cross reference page numbers, and tables.  I will
make this program available for all to use along with the cscan and maxln
tools I have already contributed (courtesy of Ira McDonald).
I had removed all bolding, since I knew that the generic print driver
sends three lines with the bold material present on the second and third
pass.

BTW we should add these tools for creating I-Ds and RFCs to the PWG
web page for use by all our projects.

So the document for the IETF printmib meeting next week (and this
week JMP meeting) should be the one that is formatted with TimesRoman
font:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/mibs/jmp-mib.pdf

(and has the cover page that is not part of the I-D and has the change
history that is not part of the I-D.)

NOT the one formatted with the fixed pitch Courier throughout:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-printmib-job-monito
ring-00.pdf

Steve said to resubmit as 00.txt after April 14 including any changes
we want to make (which may be considerable after Harry's presentation).

Tom