Subject: JMP> HP Review of Job Monitoring MIB

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:24:46 -0700

The following is from an HP review of the Job Monitoring MIB. References 
are to page and line numbers (which are pushed off the left side of the 
page, unfortunately) in the Revision 0.6 document job-mib.pdf (no revision 
marks). This review was done a few weeks ago so I apologize if changes have 
been made since then that fix some of the issues.

1. Page 1; Line 258. The table should include (A2?) The ability to predict 
consumables usage and stocking needs.

2. Page 32; discardTimeArrived(15). Refers to "job-retention-period" which 
is not defined in the MIB.

3. Page 40; Line ...43. "medium, ink, staples, processing-time, 
color-impressions" are referred to but not defined.

4. Page 52; Line 46. What is the value of jmQueueNumberOfInterveningJobs if 
jmJobProcessAfterTime is set to sometime in the future?

5. Page 52; Line 46. jmQueueNumberOfInterveningJobs specifies "The server 
or device shall set the value of this object to 0 when the job starts 
processing." Does a spooler set this to 0 when the job is submitted to the 
printer? What if the printer hasn't started processing the job?

6. Page 54; Line ...54. "...completed processing,..." is confusing in this 
sentence. Suggest "The 32-bit index of the jobs that are in the 
terminating, retained, or completed states."

7. Page 61; Line ...93. jmDeviceIndex does not provide sufficient 
information to identify the printer that received the job. Is it making the 
assumption that the printer is part of the server?

8. There is a general concern about how some objects will behave in 
Configuration 2 (page 13; line 547).

8a. What value is returned by jmQueueNumberOfInterveningJobs when the job 
has moved to a spooler in the printer (there are no intervening jobs on the 
server, but there may be some on the printer; would the value go to zero 
and then back up to some value)?

8b. Same question for jmJobPriority.

8c. Are jmJobCurrentStatus and jmJobStateReasons relative to the server or 
would they be passed back from the printer?

8d. Perhaps all objects should be reviewed with respect to each 
Configuration.