Subject: JMP> Compile Errors in IETF Job Mon MIB draft

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:04:44 PST

Hi Tom Hastings,                                 Tuesday (25 March 1997)

Joe Filion got me the 'raw text' of your latest IETF Job Monitoring MIB
draft, to check for compiler errors, this afternoon.

With the following fixes, your latest IETF Job Monitoring MIB draft
compiles cleanly under Epilogue v7.0 (ie, Emissary v6.0), using RFC 190x
series (SNMPv2-SMI, SNMPv2-TC, SNMPv2-CONF).

Note_1:  For your 'JmJobServiceTypesTC' and 'JmJobStateReasonsTC' to
compile, you need the new built-in type 'BITS' (a silly rename of the
true ASN.1 type 'BIT STRING'), which is defined in new SMIv2 (RFC 1902).

Note_2:  You CANNOT use the older (1994) version of SMICng - it doesn't
understand the RFC 190x series - you will need the new SMICng Pro (under
license) or SMICng Book (free to owners of Perkins' book 'Understanding
SNMP MIBs') - they are available from 'http://www.snmpinfo.com'.

Note_3:  You CANNOT use the older Epilogue v6.0 (Emissary v5.0) - it
doesn't understand the RFC 190x series - you will need the newer version
named above - we (Xerox) do have a license - Joe Filion can send you a
pointer to the executable - I used it to do this cleanup work today -
Epilogue is NOT as rigorous as SMICng about the compliance macros, so
you MAY still have some cleanup to do there.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839

************ Bugs in latest IETF Job Monitoring MIB draft **************

1)  At beginning, invalid presence of 'temp OBJECT IDENTIFER...' -
    modules MUST begin with a MODULE-IDENTITY (immediately following any
    IMPORTS clause)

2)  In tag on MODULE-IDENTITY macro, non-standard use of 'jobmonmib' -
    should be changed to 'jobMonMIB' (eg, see Mobile IP MIB, RFC 2006)

3)  In SYNTAX clause of 'JmJobStateReasonsTC', invalid use of INTEGER
    (or OCTET STRING) - should be BITS (per SMIv2, RFC 1902)
    - REMEMBER to define bit zero (eg, 'reserved(0)')
    - REMEMBER defined bits MUST be contiguous (ie, 0,1,2,...)

4)  In DESCRIPTION clause of 'JmAttributeTypeTC', invalid use of double
    quotes in '...used (no "Octets:" tag), the Agent...' - should be
    single quotes

5)  In SYNTAX clause of 'JmAttributeTypeTC', invalid ASN.1 comment on
    line beginning '-- jmAttributeTypeIndex   -- Description...' -
    should move ALL of this text up into DESCRIPTION clause - per OSI
    ASN.1 (ISO 8824), comments end at a SECOND '--' token OR end-of-line

6)  In SYNTAX clause of 'JmAttributeTypeTC', need a '--' comment token
    in 'other(1)' before the text 'with IANA.'

7)  In SYNTAX clause of 'JmAttributeTypeTC', need to DELETE comma after
    'processingCPUTime(46)' - which is LAST enumeration

8)  In 'JmGeneralEntry' SEQUENCE, need to ADD comma after
    'jmGeneralJobSetName  OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63))'

9)  In DESCRIPTION clause of 'jmJobIdName', invalid use of double
    quotes in '...on the "client-side"...' and in '...referred to as
    the "client-side"...' and in '...jobs currently "known"...'
    - should be single quotes

10) In DESCRIPTION clause of 'jmJobIdNumber', invalid use of double
    quotes in '...job on the "client-side"...' - should be single quotes

11) In DESCRIPTION clause of 'jmAttributeTypeIndex', invalid use of
    double quotes in '..."Integer:"...' (twice) and '..."Octets"...'
    (twice) - should be single quotes

12) In OBJECTS clause of 'jmGeneralGroup' OBJECT-GROUP macro, invalid
    comma after 'jmGeneralNumberOfJobsCompleted'

13) In SYNTAX clause of 'jmQueueIndex', invalid range
    - should be 'Integer32(1..2147483647)', NOT '(0..'

14) In OBJECTS clause of 'jmQueueGroup' OBJECT-GROUP, invalid inclusion
    of 'jmQueueIndex' (which is 'not-accessible')

15) In MAX-ACCESS clause of 'jmCompletedJobIndex', should change
    'not-accessible' to 'read-only' - at LEAST one object in each
    SEQUENCE must be 'read-only' or better (see RFC 1902)

16) In SYNTAX clause of 'jmJobStateReasons' and in SEQUENCE 'JmJobEntry'
    - change to 'JmJobStateReasonsTC' (see item 3 above)

17) In SYNTAX clause of 'JmJobServiceTypesTC', invalid use of INTEGER
    (or OCTET STRING) - should be BITS (per SMIv2, RFC 1902)
    - REMEMBER to define bit zero (eg, 'reserved(0)')
    - REMEMBER defined bits MUST be contiguous (ie, 0,1,2,...)

18) In SYNTAX clause of 'jmJobServiceTypes' and in SEQUENCE 'JmJobEntry'
    - change to 'JmJobServiceTypesTC' (see item 17 above)