Subject: JMP> LPD Job submission mapping

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 11:12:40 MST

Thanks, Ron, for the LPD mapping. One question, however. Doesn't the
job information ususally FOLLOW the print data? I think there's a way
to specify for it to proceed, but I don't know if it's typical or
available on all platforms.

Harry Lewis.

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:21:02 -0800 (PST)

> available on all platforms.
Harry,

My understanding is RFC 1179 specifies that the Data File and Control
File may be sent in any order but most implementations send the Data
File first.  I do not know of a method to reverse the order.  Maybe 
a Unix expert can help.

This is one of the major problems in using LPD with a printer that
cannot spool the job.  By the time the Control File is received, the
Data File is almost finished printing.

I should have added a note to this effect.

   Ron Bergman
   Dataproducts Corp