Subject: JMP> RE: Total Octets vs Total Pages

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:10:33 -0800 (PST)

Harry,

I believe that the current set of Resources includes:

   TotalImpressionsCompleted
   TotalSheetsCompleted
   TotalPagesCompleted
   ImpressionsCompletedCurrentCopy
   SheetsCompletedCurrentCopy
   PagesCompletedCurrentCopy

This should cover all possibilities.

Also, thanks for putting together the list of Resource enums.  We can
compare this to the next MIB update to insure nothing has been missed.

   Ron Bergman

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 03-MAR-1997 Harry Lewis wrote:
---------------------------------

We have a Resource Type jobTotakKOctets, but not jobTotalPages. I think we
should either have both or neither. Can someone provide a scnerio where
jobKOctetsCompleted and pagesCompletedCurrentCopy is not sufficient or one
that shows why totalOctets makes sense but totalPages does not?

Harry Lewis

---

From: Patrick Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:27:07 -0800 (PST)

# Harry,

# I believe that the current set of Resources includes:

#    TotalImpressionsCompleted
#    TotalSheetsCompleted
#    TotalPagesCompleted
#    ImpressionsCompletedCurrentCopy
#    SheetsCompletedCurrentCopy
#    PagesCompletedCurrentCopy

# This should cover all possibilities.

Dear sirs:

 Ummm... what about inkjet plotters that charge by the linear inch and
 width?

 I have been reviewing the various items being discussed,  and I think that
there is a pervasive effort to provide detailed enumeration of all possible
types of things,  and then assign a quantity to them.

For example,  while the above list covers pages, etc., it does not discuss
staples, cover sheets, envelopes, etc., which could also comprise a job;s
usage.  I would suggest that you might need modify this scheme to provide
a list of resources used and the amount of each resource used.

For example:

ResourcesUsed Octets Pages Staples CoverSheet Edge Binding
ResourceCount.Octets 1000
ResourceCount.Pages 300
ResourceCount.Staples 30
ResourceCount.CoverSheet 10
ResourceCount.Edge 10
ResourceCount.Binding 10

While this may not fit into the MIB model exactly,  it makes better sense
from an extensibility model.

# Also, thanks for putting together the list of Resource enums.  We can
# compare this to the next MIB update to insure nothing has been missed.

#    Ron Bergman

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------

# On 03-MAR-1997 Harry Lewis wrote:
# ---------------------------------

# We have a Resource Type jobTotakKOctets, but not jobTotalPages. I think we
# should either have both or neither. Can someone provide a scnerio where
# jobKOctetsCompleted and pagesCompletedCurrentCopy is not sufficient or one
# that shows why totalOctets makes sense but totalPages does not?

# Harry Lewis