Subject: JMP> Internet Draft for Job Monitoring MIB posted

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:59:21 PST

I've posted the Internet Draft that I sent to the IETF on our server:

ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/internet-drafts/

-rw-r--r-- 1 pwg pwg 314206 Mar 28 21:26 draft-ietf-printmib-job-monitor-00.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 pwg pwg 288707 Mar 28 21:19 draft-ietf-printmib-job-monitor-00.txt

The .pdf is identical to the .txt file, except the .pdf file has line numbers
that start over on each page.  Both are in fixed pitch font as required 
by the IETF. (I did not send the .pdf to the IETF, since I was told they
don't accept PDF).

I submitted a garbled version in time for the deadline last Wednesday, 
with a request to replace it with the cleaned-up versions that I just 
posted.  We will have to wait to see whether the IETF will allow that
substitution.

I will post later today, the pretty versions with and without change bars
and a revision history.  Also I'll post the issues list, which should
be what we focus on in our upcoming JMP meeting.  I'll try to include the 
issues from the mailing list, especially, Harry's idea about making it
easy for a monitoring application to find a particular job and HP's 
issue about how each of the objects is used in the three configurations
we are trying to support.  

The .txt file compiles with one error: the jmAttributeTypeIndex is
not-accessible, but the Conformance section has the sheetsCompleted attribute
listed as mandatory in the conformance.  But not-accessible objects aren't in
a group, and so cannot be referenced in a conformance clause.  So we
need to change the MAX-ACCESS from not-accessible to read-only, in spite
of SMIv2 strongly recommending that indexes be not-accessible.

I compiled with SMICng compiler against the 14xx series SMI, not the 19xx.
It caught the above error.  I also compiled with the Epilogue and MOSY
compilers and they found no errors.

They all warned about the definition of the temp object to get the
experimental OID, but I guess we have to live with that until we are assigned
a real OID for the Job Monitoring MIB, went it becomes an RFC.

Another enhancement is to use the BITS data type available in the 19xx series
SMI for our bit string that defines jmJobStateReasons.

I had a huge amount of trouble producing the plain text from the MS-WORD
file.  It took 17 hours of hand re-formatting to straighten out the garbage
that the generic text printer driver produces for tables and page numbers
(in footers, and cross-references).
The generic text printer driver, 3.10, from FRALC, uses overprinting to get
tables and page numbers.  So it outputs a CR to reposition the cursor at the
beginning of the line and then produces another text string that "overlays"
the first.  For some table rows, it can do this overlay 3-4 times.

Perhaps, just a post processor that merges overlays would be all that is
needed.  Alternatively, use SAVE AS text with formatting and use a tool
to add headers and footers (but not usually in the most pleasing places).

Tom

---

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 97 17:15:21 EST

Exchange 3.0 complains that this PDF is damaged.

Don

To: jmp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc: chrisw%iwl.com @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP (bcc: Don Wright)
From: hastings%cp10.es.xerox.com @ interlock.lexmark.com (Tom Hastings) @ SMTP
Date: 03/28/97 01:59:21 PM
Subject: JMP> Internet Draft for Job Monitoring MIB posted

Tom

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:58:16 PST

Thanks Don,

I transmitted it in ASCII, instead of BINARY Mode with FTP.

I've reposted it about 3:30 pm PST.  So if people copied it after
that, it should be ok.

BTW, when I noticed what I had done, I retrieved it and it seemed to work ok
though.

Sorry,
Tom