Subject: RE: JMP> Resource Table - Missile or Camera (fwd)

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:58:31 PST

At 17:31 02/14/97 PST, Ron Bergman wrote:
>Harry,
>
>It looks like the object jmResourceName is more confusing than
>descriptive.  It is not intended to be the name of the resource
>but is to be used for resources that require a string to be
>returned.  For example, fileName(3) and documentName(4) are
>resources that cannot be represented by a numeric value.  In
>this case jmResourceAmount would be zero and the actual value
>of the resource is presented in jmResourceName.  (I believe 
>that this was discussed in last weeks meeting after you left
>for the airport.)
>
>In the case of a numeric value jmResourceName would be a 
>string of zero length.  Use of the object as a name of the
>resource in this case was agreed to be removed in the meeting
>last week.
>
>To eliminate some of this confusion the jmResourceName object
>name should be changed to something like jmResourceStringValue.
>
>Can anyone suggest a better name?

So now we have:

The Attribute Group (Mandatory)	78
jmAttributeTypeIndex	80
jmAttributeInstanceIndex	81
jmAttributeValueAsInteger	81
jmAttributeValueAsOctets	82

Ok?

>
>
>	Ron Bergman
>	Dataproducts Corp.
>	[email-masked]
>	(805)578-4421
>
>
>---------- Forwarded message ----------
>
>
>Harry wrote:
>
>One thing I'm finding is that Resource Name seems to be redundant
>with information that should already be in the Printer MIB. I wonder
>how useful resource name is. If we're trying to name a resource like
>OutputBin (3) "Big Bin" - then the name is surely in the printer MIB
>and a server implementation would not be representing this resource.
>If we're trying to get fancy and say MediaType (Paper) "Hillary's
>Pink LetterHead", I really doubt any accounting application will
>be this sensitive. I think a Paper enum (Grade-A, Grade-B etc.)
>for charging purposes is more practical.
>
>Anyone else vie for eliminating Resource Name?
>
>
>Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems.
>
>
>
>
>