Subject: JMP> Template for Mapping Job Submission Protocols

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:21:13 -0800 (PST)

The first object in the Template provided by Tom Hastings is jmJobIndex.

Since this object is defined and used by the device that is providing
the MIB it must always be present.  IMHO, this object most likely will
not map into an existing parameter defined by the Job Submission
Protocol.  I would recommend that this object be ignored by all who
are completing this template.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp
	[email-masked]
	(805)578-4421

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 18:23:20 PST

Gee, I think just the opposite.  Each job submission protocol has the
recipient server or printer return an identifier to the submitter.
So we need to know the *name* of the fundamental attribute in each
job submission protocol that maps to the jmJobIndex object.

So it is vital that we understand which attribute (that is returned
by the recipient) maps to the jmJobIndex.

By the way, we have the serious issue of what happens for a job submission
protocol in which the job identifier generated by the server or printer
is 0 (say for the first job after the system is booted).  SNMP won't allow
us to have a 0 value as an index.   SO we need to know how many job
submission protocols return 0 for a valid job identifier.  If there are some,
we need to figure out what to do.  See the issues list.  Map 0 to the highest
index? 

Tom

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:20:02 -0800 (PST)

Tom,

On Thu Mar 06, 1997 you wrote:

Tom

RB> None of the Job Submission protocols supported by a Dataproducts
RB> NIC requres an identifier to be returned.  I do believe that OS/2 
RB> does have this requirement from the server to the client.  Could 
RB> you let me know what protocols you are aware of with this requirement?
RB>
RB> Also, a more fundamental issue is what Protocols that currently
RB> have an index in the server and/or printer cannot conform to the
RB> restrictions of jmJobIndex.
RB>
RB> As for the index of zero, is this a real problem and in what
RB> protocols?