Subject: JMP> jmJobSubmissionTime

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 22:39:31 MST

Tom wrote (somewhat paraphrased - my response brackted by HRL -):

>There is one additional issues raised ... (moving)
>jmJobSubmissionTime from the JobTable to the QueueTable (or)
>to the ResourceTable.
>
>There are pros and cons with each:
>
>Moving jmJobSubmissionTime to the QueueTable means that an implementation
>that queues, shall implement the time, which is probably not a burden
>on something that queues and means that jobs will get a time stamp
>as they are entered into the MIB.  On the other hand, a Printer
>that doesn't queue, cannot have a jmJobSubmissionTime at all.

HRL - I think the system that queues sets the submission DateTime
HRL - as you say. For *printers* that don't queue, the DateTime must
HRL - be passed in on submission from the server queue.

>The advantage of putting it in the ResourceTable is for implementations
>that don't have concept of time.  But our experience with alerts in
>the Printer MIB say it was a mistake not to require time stamps
>on alerts, so we changes prtAlertTime to become mandatory.  Same
>should be true for JobSubmissionTime, shouldn't it?

HRL - Another advantage of putting it in the ResourceTable is that
HRL - not Time becomes an enumerated resource. The submission DateTime
HRL - passed in from the server can be "stashed" as one TIME Resource
HRL - and additional TIME Resources can be defined, as TimeTick that
HRL - can be used to roughly correlate and track progress as follows
HRL - in response to your final question.

>And shouldn't the job submission time be recorded whether
>the implementation queues or not?

HRL - As I was saying. If submission DateTime is passed in with the
HRL - submission protocol, the jmResourceType TIME could be defined
HRL - as follows: (shorthand notation)
HRL -
HRL - jmResourceType - TIME
HRL -
HRL -  1 - Other
HRL -  2 - Unknown
HRL -  3 - jobSubmssionTime -  DateTime
HRL -  4 - jobSubmissionTick - TimeTicks
HRL -  5 - jobStartTick -      TimeTicks
HRL -  6 - jobCompleteTicks -  TimeTicks
HRL -
HRL - Using these TIME resources as entries in the Resource table,
HRL - and assuming the agent closely correlates Time and Ticks on
HRL - job submission (within a second or two?) then, using just
HRL - Ticks (derived from sysUpTime) the Job Management App can
HRL - determine how long the job waited on the printer and how long
HRL - it took to print.
HRL -
HRL - One disadvantage I see is number of Resource table entries, but
HRL - it seems we've created this table as a collector of sorts AND
HRL - we've at least cleverly provided the jmResourceType providing
HRL - coarser granularity for more efficient data gathering.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems.