Subject: JMP> Proposed change to jmResourceName

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:39:52 -0800 (PST)

The following change to jmResourceName is proposed as per the recent
email on this subject:

IS:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
jmResourceName OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX	OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63))
	or
	Integer32(0..2147483647)
	or
	Counter32(0..2147483647)
  MAX-ACCESS	read-only
  STATUS	current
  DESCRIPTION
       "The coded character set name of the resource, e.g., iso-a4-
       white, red-ink, number 2 staples, or the string value, such as 
       the document name, or device name, etc., or an index of a row 
       in a table.  The data type of jmResourceName is determined by 
       the value of jmResourceType."
  ::= { jmResourceEntry 3 }
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CHANGE TO:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
jmResourceStringValue OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX	OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63)),
  MAX-ACCESS	read-only
  STATUS	current
  DESCRIPTION
       "Defines the value of a resource that must be represented as a 
       string.  If the resource is not represented as a string, this 
       object must return a string of zero length.  For numeric 
       values, the object jmResourceUnits must be used."
  ::= { jmResourceEntry 3 }
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

After a review of the related resource enums, I do not believe that any
will require changes.  The enums which have dual purpose (i.e. used for
both requested and used states) are sides (simplex/duplex), interpters,
and physical devices.  I am not sure that these justify a split into
a ...Requested and ...Used.

However, I believe that we should add:

	impressionsRequested(?)
	pagesRequested(?)      -- Total logical pages for all copies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp
	[email-masked]
	(805)578-4421