Subject: RE: JMP> Conference Call Minutes for 1/30/97

From: Bob Pentecost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:39:50 -0700

I think the key wording from "A user or management application will never 
have to look at both the printer and the spooler, at the same time, for 
information regarding a specific job" is _for a specific job_. Our thinking 
is that once the job moves from the spooler to the printer, you can monitor 
the job in the printer. You don't have to be accumulating information from 
both the spooler and the printer about one job.

Bob Pentecost
HP

----------
From:  JK Martin[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Saturday, February 01, 1997 12:34 AM
To:  [email-masked]
Cc:  PWG Job Monitoring MIB Project
Subject:  Re: JMP> Conference Call Minutes for 1/30/97

Ron,

Thanks for posting the JMP telecon minutes to the list as well as
on the server. Seems to make for more rapid digestion of this timely
information.

One portion of the minutes has me a bit worried:

>  31. Should we re-introduce jmJobDeviceIndex to handle configuration
>      2b?
>
>      No.  A user or management application will never have to look
>      at both the printer and the spooler, at the same time, for
>      information regarding a specific job.

Sorry, but I don't have Tom's latest-greatest spec in front of me
to recall what "configuration 2b" is exactly, but the response sends
up a number of red flags for us at Underscore.

The wide variety of grossly disparate spooling systems found in the
average Enterprise today is not likely to change in the near future.
While DPA-based technology may solve some critical problems, it is
just that--yet another spooling system.

In our humble opinion, the *only* way to present accurate job status
information in a (typically) multi-platform environment is to tackle
the highly formidable task of corroberating the job data of all these
spooling systems, then presenting the results in some sort of
"normalized" manner.

So, in our view, a truly useful Job Monitoring application should be
expected to simultaneously examine job data in both the spooler(s) and
the printer to accurately depict the current state of a job.

Hopefully this view doesn't rock to many peoples' boats.  ;-)
Opposing views are definitely welcome, too.

All in all, the progress on the Job MIB is most promising.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 14:47:12 -0500

Bob,

> both the spooler and the printer about one job.

You may be right.  We'll have to see how this plays in the real world.

	...jay