Subject: JMP> Updated JMP issues list from Feb JMP meeting

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 00:19:36 PST

We resolved all of the issues except the issues 5 and 26.  
Also we have added issues 44, 45, and 46.  
Finally, some good issues have been sent to the e-mail list by 
Keith, Bob P, and Harry which need addressing.

Hopefully, we can address these issues on the next teleconference.

I've posted the issues list resolutions as:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/contributions/

-rw-rw-r--   1 pwg      pwg        33280 Feb 18 07:58 issues.doc
-rw-rw-r--   1 pwg      pwg        29906 Feb 18 07:58 issues.pdf
-rw-rw-r--   1 pwg      pwg        30203 Feb 18 07:59 issues.pdr

The .pdf has revision marks in black and .pdr has them in red.

The following issues remain with the indicated action items:

Issue 5 - Restore NMS having to access both the server and printer agents
(Configuration 2b)?	13

Yes, with the following understandings:  Configuration 2b will show a
monitoring application, a server, and a printer.  The MIB will be only in
the printer, but the monitoring application is also monitoring the server by
some other means than the Job Monitoring MIB.  The Job Monitoring MIB in the
Printer shall have enough information in it for the monitoring application
to find the job in the Printer's Job Monitoring MIB that it found in the
server (by other means).  In such cases, the server usually deletes its copy
of the job, but need not.  This configuration covers the configuration
supported by the HP 5si Mopier private job monitoring MIB when driven from a
Novell server.

ACTION ITEM (Tom Hastings, Bob Pentacost): Tom draw up a new configuration
2b and show to Bob before distributing it to the group.

Issue 26 - Which indexes shall be persistent across power off and which need
not be?	47

No decision yet.  ACTION ITEM (Tom Hastings): send this issue and the
proposal for making the jmJobIndex and jmJobSetIndex persistent across power
off.

1. New Issues

Issue 44 - There was agreement that the Job Monitoring MIB needs a primary
index that can separate jobs into disjoint sets for purposes of scheduling.
This primary index serves the same purpose for the Job Monitoring MIB as the
hrDeviceIndex does for the Printer MIB, except that the Job Monitoring MIB
did not want to require the Host Resources MIB.  What is the definition of
Job Set?  How do job sets relate to queues?  Can a Printer have more than
one job set without having queuing?  For a printer that is fed from multiple
external queues, are all the jobs from all those queues in a single job set
in the Printer?

Issue 45 - After fully agreeing on what a Job Set is, should the name remain
Job Set, or be changes to queue, or job pool or job group?

Issue 46 - Do we need to add a jmJobSetName object so that an operator can
determine which job set he/she is looking at.  The jmJobSetName is
administratively assigned and could be the queue name, the server name if
the server has only one job set or the printer name if the printer has only
one job set.  We definitely need jmQueueName (which I added to the
jmQueueGroup).  So is jmJobSetName a different object, at least in some
configurations supported by the Job Monitoring MIB?