Subject: JMP> Recommended Changes to JMP Objects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 19:35:56 -0800

The Job Monitor MIB project passed a critical test at the IETF meeting 
in San Jose, thanks to the coordination and scheduling performed by
Chris Wellens and the great presentation by Tom Hastings.  As a 
result, the object set, IMHO, should now be developed into a formal 
IETF MIB document.  I hope we can have the first draft document 
available at the February meeting.  In the mean time I would like to 
present the following changes for consideration and/or discussion.

1. The issue of an index to allow for multiple printer support was 
   discussed in New Orleans.  The use of hrDeviceIndex was agreed to 
   be a bad decision for the Printer MIB and should not be propagated 
   in the Job MIB.  Tom has proposed jmMIBInstanceIndex for this 
   purpose.

   While I agreed with the decision from the November meeting to not 
   use hrDeviceIndex, my current opinion has changed.  The Job MIB 
   will, most likely, be used in conjunction with the Printer MIB.  
   For the case where the SNMP Agent supports multiple printers, it 
   seems that the use of a common index is essential to correlate the 
   data between the two MIBs.  If the use of hrDeviceIndex is really 
   that serious, it should be changed in the Printer MIB.

   I guess it would be possible to include in the definition that the
   object jmMIBInstanceIndex and hrDeviceIndex were equivalent, but 
   it would be less confusing to just use the same object.

2. The object jmJobIndex (from my previous proposal as a name change  
   for jmJobLocalId) should be used in place of jmCompletedIndex.  
   This will allow a common identification of jobs between the Job
   Group and the Completed group.  I cannot see any need for a new
   index for the Completed Group.

3. The object jmJobSourceChannelInformation should be eliminated.  
   The Printer MIB should be used to obtain all required information 
   concerning the selected channel.  This information should not be
   repeated in the Job Monitor MIB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp
	[email-masked]