Subject: JMP> Conference Call Minutes for 1/30/97

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:05:50 -0800

I have posted the minutes from yesterdays JMP conference call to the
PWG FTP server.  There is both a Word and a text file.  The path is:

	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/jmp/minutes/cc-300197 (.doc or .txt)

The minutes are also included in this message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp
	[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

JMP TELECONFERENCE MINUTES
January 30, 1997

Participants:

Ron Bergman  -  Dataproducts
Tom Hastings  -  Xerox
Harry Lewis  -  IBM
Bob Pentecost  -  HP
Lloyd Young  -  Lexmark

It was agreed that any decisions made during the JMP Conference Calls would be present to the PWG at the next regularly scheduled meeting.  The decisions would then become final if no objections were voiced at the PWG meeting.

1. Review of the Job Monitoring MIB objects not currently implemented by any vendors:

	jmGeneralQueuingAlgorithm	Agreed to be deleted from the MIB.
	jmJobMessageToOperator		Agreed to be deleted from the MIB.
	jmJobTypes			Will be retained since this object allows extension of
					the MIB to support faxing and scanners.

2. Review of resource enums that are not currently supported by any vendors:

	DocumentCopiesProduced		Will be retained.
	FaxPhoneNumber		Remove, this enum belongs in a fax MIB.

3. Inclusion of vendor specific enums and objects:

    The following resource enums were agreed to be added:

	number of pages in original document
	output bins used
	colorants used
	media used

    The HP private objects in the Job Group were reviewed.  It was decided that none of the objects would be added at this time.  Bob Pentecost did accept the action item to review the objects srcIO, srcQ, and srcPort to determine if any of these should b

    Ron Bergman agreed to review the Dataproducts unique objects in the General Group and the Queue Group to determine if any of these should be included in the MIB.

4. Discussion of open issues (from Tom Hastings Job Monitoring MIB, January 23,1997)

	1. Should we add a standard SNMP RowStatus object to the jmJobTable and jmResourceTable?

	    It was agreed to postpone further discussion on this object until the PWG meeting next week.
	    Rick Landau has previously commented on this proposal and we would like to review his
	    reasons for objecting before preceding.

	14. How do we add traps without adding too much network traffic?

	     This issue will be discussed further at the PWG meeting.  Recommend SENSE? 

	15. Should jmGeneralQueuingAlgorithm be writeable, so that the system administrator using an 
	      NMS can change the scheduling algorithm?
	16. Add passThrough(6) to jmGeneralQueuingAlgorithm for servers that just pass jobs through 
	      without queuing?
	28. Should jmGeneralQueuingAlgorithm be writeable so that the system administrator using an 
	      NMS can change the scheduling algorithm?

	     The above issues were closed since it was agreed that jmGeneralQueuingAlgorithm is to
	     be removed.

	20. OK to have added fileName(3) to jmResourceType?

	      Agreed.  (Some implementations have both file names and document names.)

	22. Why not require the agent to always return FAX numbers in ASCII, since it is easy to convert
	      from Unicode to ASCII?

	      Issue is closed, since the fax phone number enum has been removed.

	23. Add resource item to indicate the out-bins that the job requests/uses?

	      Agreed.  Issue closed.

	31. Should we re-introduce jmJobDeviceIndex to handle configuration 2b?

	      No.  A user or management application will never have to look at both the printer and the
	      spooler, at the same time, for information regarding a specific job.

	37. Change the jmJobSourceChannel from an index in the Printer MIB to the enum, since the 
	      server need not implement the Printer MIB?

	      It was agreed that a change in this area will be required to support a spooler.

	41. Is it worth rounding down jmJobOctetsCompleted until the job completes and then round up?

	      No.  It was agreed to keep it simple and always round up.  The transfer time for a 1000 bytes
	      is not significant enough to require the added complexity.

	43. How can jmResourceName be a union of OCTET STRING, Integer32, and Counter32?

	      Two separate objects will be required.  The appropriate object will be used and the other will 
	      return a null object.