Subject: JMP> REQ, PRO, MOD - SNMP relation to IPP

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 08:24:22 MST

Excerpt from Carl-Uno (discussing directory overload)...

>If we want to get more detailed information about a printer's
>capabilities, I would expect to go and ask for that Printer's
>attribute list, using the IPP. Any variable information, such as
>media loaded, or printer state has nothing to seek in the directory.

Since IPP, PMP and JMP are all occurring under one PWG, I'd like to
know if there is a consensus regarding role of the Printer and/or
Job MIBs in relation to IPP.

>I think that scenario 4.0 needs to get refined into more than
>just Getting Status. In effect there are at least the following kind
>of functions described under scenario 4.
>
>1) Getting detailed information about a printer's capabilities (static)
>
>2) Getting information about a printer's status (variable)
>
>3) Getting information about a job's status (variable) and fixed attributes.

Is it generally held, by most participants, that IPP, given the above
capabilities, *REPLACES* SNMP for obtaining this information?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems