Subject: IPPDEV> IBM's IPP Client Prototype Problems

From: Bill Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 97 09:55:40 -0800

We are developing an IPP server (actually a servlet) and are trying to 
use IBM's IPP Client Prototype to aid in that development. Unfortunately, 
we are not able to use the client because it appears to be sending out 
bogus data to the server. It seems that just prior to the HTTP header, it 
is incorrectly sending out the protocol type and domain name. Here is a 
specific example:

If the server domain is <www.ippserver.com>, what should be sent is,

    POST /
    HTTP 1.0
    <remaining header>

The IBM client is sending,

    POST http://www.ippserver.com/
    HTTP 1.0
    <remaining header>

which is refused by the server. Any help is appreciated.

Bill Hastings                               
RBI Software Systems
[email-masked]

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:00:03 -0500

>>>>> "BH" == Bill Hastings <[email-masked]> writes:

BH> [...] IBM's IPP Client Prototype [...] appears to be sending out
BH> bogus data to the server. It seems that just prior to the HTTP header, it
BH> is incorrectly sending out the protocol type and domain name. Here is a
BH> specific example:

BH> If the server domain is <www.ippserver.com>, what should be sent is,

BH>     POST /
BH>     HTTP 1.0
BH>     <remaining header>

BH> The IBM client is sending,

BH>     POST http://www.ippserver.com/
BH>     HTTP 1.0
BH>     <remaining header>

  Neither of those is quite right; the first line of a request should
  be:

             POST   http://www.ippserver.com/   HTTP/1.1<cr><lf>
              ^                ^                 ^       ^
              |                |                 |       |
    Method ---+                |                 |       |
    URI -----------------------+                 |       |
    Protocol Revision ---------------------------+       |
    carriage return & line feed -------------------------+

  In HTTP/1.0 the URI is only allowed to be fully qualified (that is,
  include the scheme and host parts) if the request is made to a
  proxy, so this would seem to be incorrect.  In HTTP/1.1, which is
  what IPP is supposed to run over, the full URI MUST be supported by
  all servers, but only the path part is required.

  The protocol identifier on a second line is wrong, and it should
  have a slash between 'HTTP' and the version number - no whitespace
  allowed there.  Any number of spaces (>=1) is allowed in each of the
  places above where I've used space.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/