Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:47:40 -0700

FYI,

Thee were a few minor changes done to the previous draft, so here is yet
another "final" draft for ABNF.

Carl-Uno

>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt
>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:03:31 -0400
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Detailed Revision/Update of Message
Standards Working Group of the IETF.
>
>Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.
>
>	Title		: Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications: ABNF
>	Author(s)	: D. Crocker, P. Overell
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt
>	Pages		: 9
>	Date		: 17-Oct-97
>	
>Internet technical specifications often need to define a format
>syntax and are free to employ whatever notation their authors
>deem useful.  Over the years, a modified version of Backus-Naur
>Form (BNF), called Augmented BNF (ABNF), has been popular among
>many Internet specifications.  It balances compactness and
>simplicity, with reasonable representational power.  In the early
>days of the Arpanet, each specification contained its own
>definition of ABNF.  This included the email specifications,
>RFC733 and then RFC822 which have come to be the common citations
>for defining ABNF.  The current document separates out that
>definition, to permit selective reference.  Predictably, it also
>provides some modifications and enhancements.
> 
>The differences between standard BNF and ABNF involve naming
>rules, repetition, alternatives, order-independence, and value
>ranges.  Appendix A (Core) supplies rule definitions and encoding
>for a core lexical analyzer of the type common to several
>Internet specifications.  It is provided as a convenience and is
>otherwise separate from the meta language defined in the body of
>this document, and separate from its formal status.
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
>	
>	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
>		ftp.nis.garr.it
>			
>	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>	
>	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
>	
>	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-abnf-05.txt
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>
>