Subject: IPP>MOD

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 15:44:40 -0400

I've had a request from one of our operating system folks to
see if we could add a job attribute for a phone number. This
would allow me to send a job to a server that called the number
to deliver the output on a fax machine.

Any thoughts???

Roger K deBry
Senior Technical Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:03:14 PDT

>to deliver the output on a fax machine.

Roger,

so far, we have avoided stepping on the toes of the IFAX group, which is
what I think this would lead up to.  Also, I do not see the real need for
this.  If your output device happens to be a fax machine, your IPP Printer
should know how to contact the fax machine; it could even be sneaky enough
to include it a part of the Printer URI.  I know that this would require a
unique IPP Printer id for every fax machine, but if you want to start
defining a fax off ramp (in IFAX terminology) as part of IPP, you are going
to need a lot more than just the phone number, apart from making enemies in
the IFAX camp.

In summary, I think we should leave this for implementors that might like
to provide bridges between IPP and IFAX (or current fax) in their products.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]