Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - Syntax of 'document-format' proposal

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:17:43 PDT

Hi Larry,

You're missing the point.  The content headers can be used 'over-the-wire'
for IPP operations, but 'document-format' is an ATTRIBUTE stored with Job
and Document objects (in most protocols, and in IPP in the future, when
we address Document objects).  We're not messing with the MIME types.
They're deficient (read RFC 2184 and RFC 2130 - the IESG says "ALL text
shall be tagged with character set AND language in ALL new protocols").

We do NOT propose to mess with MIME types.  But we have a concrete need
for a SINGLE attribute which carries PDL/charset/language for documents
(in IPP protocol and in the Job Mon MIB).

Sorry for the confusion of problem domain in my previous note.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  906-494-2434
-------------------------------- Larry's note -------------------------------
>From [email-masked] Sun Sep 28 18:53:09 1997
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 15:48:50 PDT
From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Organization: Xerox PARC
To: Ira Mcdonald x10962 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - Syntax of 'document-format' proposal
Status: R

> document-format-value := " type "/" subtype "
>                          ";" "charset-section"
>                          ";" "language-section"

I think it isn't a good idea to muck with the MIME format for
Content-Type or to restrict the available parameters, or to
add another parameter for "language-selection" which doesn't
exist in MIME. If you want to describe some content, use "content-"
headers in entirity, "content-type: blah", "content-language: blah",
"Content-MD5: blah" or whatever.

document-format-description := content-header
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter