Subject: IPP>MOD document object problem for SendURI

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 08:15:43 -0400

I will miss today's conference call as I will be on a flight to the
Post Office meeting I mentioned in Redmond.

However, I did want to send in my vote for #2 below.

Don

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

Bob Herriot said:
>
>The following are possible solutions:
>
>    1) bad idea: solve the multiple-document-attribute problem
>
>    2) OK maybe: document-URI is an operation attribute that does
>       not stick to the job object. That is, Get-Attributes does not
>       return a document-URI created by a Send-URI operation.
>       Get-Attributes could return a document-URI value set by
>       Print-URI but it might seem strange that document-URI is
>       available for Print-URI jobs but not Create-Job/ Send-URI jobs.
>
>    3) OK maybe: eliminate Send-URI in version 1.0, but keep Print-URI
which
>       doesn't have this problem.

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:27:14 PDT

I vote for number 2 as well (keep Send-URI but without being able to
query the document-uri attribute).

Adding a Send-URI operation in the future seems a much bigger step
than adding attributes in the future to handle per-document values.

We don't even mention the concept of registering operations
after the spec is finished, I believe.

Tom

At 23:53 09/23/97 PDT, Scott Isaacson wrote:
>I noticed the same problem in the editing.  I vote for number 2.
>
>Scott
>
>
>>>> Ira Mcdonald x10962 <[email-masked]> 09/20 9:08 AM >>>
>Hi Bob,
>
>I vote for your option #3 - dump Send-URI entirely from IPP 1.0.
>A little bit of document attributes is just as bad as lots.
>If we don't go with option #3, then we certainly won't get out
>'stable' IPP specs by the end-of-September to the IETF.
>
>Cheers,
>- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
>
>------------------------- Bob's note -----------------------
>>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 19 22:01:09 1997
>Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
>Received: from zombi (zombi.eso.mc.xerox.com) by snorkel.eso.mc.xerox.com
>(4.1/XeroxClient-1.1)
> id AA11123; Fri, 19 Sep 97 22:01:08 EDT
>Received: from alpha.xerox.com by zombi (4.1/SMI-4.1)
> id AA01012; Fri, 19 Sep 97 21:57:10 EDT
>Received: from lists.underscore.com ([199.125.85.31]) by alpha.xerox.com
>with SMTP id <54288(1)>; Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:57:12 PDT
>Received: from localhost (daemon@localhost) by lists.underscore.com
>(8.7.5/8.7.3) with SMTP id VAA26855 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 19
>Sep 1997 21:53:28 -0400 (EDT)
>Received: by pwg.org (bulk_mailer v1.5); Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:50:50 -0400
>Received: (from daemon@localhost) by lists.underscore.com (8.7.5/8.7.3) id
>VAA26529 for ipp-outgoing; Fri, 19 Sep 1997 21:41:29 -0400 (EDT)
>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:40:29 PDT
>From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked] 
>Subject: IPP>MOD document object problem for SendURI
>X-Sun-Charset: US-ASCII
>Sender: [email-masked] 
>Status: R
>
>
>We made a decision to eliminate all document attributes because we didn't
>want
>to design the mechanism for returning one attribute per document for version
>1.0.
>
>I agree with that decision.  But now I have realized that SendURI has to
>send
>a separate document-URI for each Send-URI operation which means there is a 
>separate value of document-URI for each document.  
>
>    3) OK maybe: eliminate Send-URI in version 1.0, but keep Print-URI which
>#3 is probably a little bit better than #2.
>
>Bob Herriot
>
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>                                                                            
>
>