Subject: IPP> MOD - Supported URIs for print-by-reference

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 16:37:02 PDT

As we have seen on the list during the last week it seems that the
recommendation from our Atlanta PWG meeting to mandate support for HTTP and
FTP for print-by-reference is somewhat controversial.

In order to settle this for version 1.0 of IPP, I would like to make the
following proposal:

1) Do not mandate any particular scheme now. Let people implement it first
and come back with proposals for the Draft Standards version of IPP 1.0.

2) To give the user (client) a chance to find out what the Printer supports
in the way of URI schemes for print-by-reference, I suggest to add an
optional multi-valued printer attribute called:

	"reference-uri-schemes-supported" 

I hope that we can quickly get agreement around this proposal so that we do
not hold up the finalization process by debating this rather marginal
functionality for a long time.

Regards,

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:46:23 -0400

Sounds like a prudent and reasonable proposal, Carl-Uno.

	...jay