Subject: IPP> MOD - ISSUE: Send-Document MUST be supported if Create-Job is, only Send-URI is OPTIONAL

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:46:55 PDT

The new current text for the Create-Job operation is:

Create-Job Operation
This operation is similar to the Print-Job operation (section 3.2.1) except
that a client supplies no document data or any reference to document data in
the Create-Job request.  This operation is followed by one or more
Send-Document or Send-URI operations.  If a Printer object supports the
Create-Job operation, it MUST also support either the Send-Document
operation or the Send-URI operation or both.  Since a client can query the
Printer's "operations-supported" attribute, a client SHOULD NOT attempt to
use an unsupported optional operation.

I think that if the Print-Job operation is supported, then the Send-Document
operation MUST be supported, but the Send-URI is still OPTIONAL.  Otherwise,
the client has a problem if it has the document data but the Printer only
supports Send-URI.

Suggested re-wording of the sentence:

If a Printer object supports the Create-Job operation, it MUST also support
the Send-Document operation and it MAY support the Send-URI operation.

Tom