Subject: Re: IPP>MOD Why use Job-Id instead of Job-URI for Jobs?

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:37:08 -0700

> From [email-masked] Thu Sep  4 20:52:37 1997
> 
> Bob,

> This may be.  (I'm not sure, myself.)  However, if the exposure of
> job ids is so critical, then why don't we also insist on:
> 
> 	IPP printer name == LPD printer name

I have assumed that IPP printer-name == LPD printer name, but
that IPP printer-name differs from IPP printer-URI.  That is
IPP printer-name might be "killtree" and IPP printer-URI might be
"http://foobar.bigcorp.com/printer/killtree"
 
> If this is good enough, then why can't the same be true for job
> ids, eg:
> 
> 	http://somewhere.net.domain/subsys/server3/345 == 345

The translation between printer-name (LPD or IPP) and printer-URI is
easy because of the two IPP attributes and because a name service is
likely to have both.

On the other hand, jobs won't be in the name service because they are 
transient, and the syntax of a job-URI is opaque so there is no way
to determine a Job-Id from a Job-URI.

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:30:59 -0400

> easy because of the two IPP attributes and because a name service is

Ok, I think I understand your position more clearly in this scenario.

> to determine a Job-Id from a Job-URI.

So let's not make Job-URI's opaque!  (Starting to sound like a broken
record here, I know...)

Maybe I'm exposing my lack of web technology here, but why can't we
just specify that the Job ID is always the last token of the URI and
just be done with it?  (for example: printsrv.corp.com/abc/xyz/123)

Or is this to constraining for some people?  If so, then I'd really
appreciate someone explaining to everyone why this approach would be
too constraining.

	...jay