Subject: IPP> MOD - ACTION ITEM: Change color-supported from Boolean to keyword

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:20:10 PDT

Here is my belated action item from the Redmond meeting to propose
the wording for the "color-supported" printer description attribute.

The agreement was that by changing from a Boolean to a type 2 keyword, we
would allow a finer granularity of description to evolve, but that
we would only bother to specify three fundamental values for IPP V1.0,
namely, 'monochrome', 'process', and 'spot' to align with the 
Printer MIB and current industry practice.

We could do more, but at the expense of additional attributes, which we
don't want in IPP V1.  The values are extensible, so
one could register in the future additional values like 'process-3', 
'spot-2', etc., to indicate how many colorants are available in the future.

Proposed changes to current IPP model-05.txt:

Section 4.5, table on page 57 - current text:

+----------------------------+----------------------+----------------+
| color-supported            | boolean              |                |
+----------------------------+----------------------+----------------+

Change to:

+----------------------------+----------------------+----------------+
| color-supported            | type2 keyword        |                |
+----------------------------+----------------------+----------------+

Section 4.5.18, page 64 - current text:

         4.5.18 color-supported (boolean)

         This attribute identifies whether the Printer is capable of any type
         of color printing at all.  All document instructions having to do
         with color are embedded within the document PDL (none are external IPP
         attributes).

Change to:

         4.5.18 color-supported (type2 keyword)

         This attribute identifies whether the Printer is capable of any type
         of color printing.  All document instructions having to do with
         color are embedded within the document PDL (none are external IPP
         attributes).

         This attribute takes on the following values:

           - 'monochrome': This value indicates that the Printer is capable of
              printing in just one color (usually black).
           - 'process': This value indicates that the Printer is 
              capable of process color printing.
           - 'spot': This value indicates that the Printer is capable of
              spot color printing; also referred to as highlight color
              printing.