Subject: IPP>MOD encoding of language in string

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:04:18 -0700

At the Atlanta meeting, we  decided to use the RFC 2184 mechanism for
encoding language in text and names. I understood that the IPP solution
would have an asterisk in the initial position of a string. But the RFC
defines the asterisk as being the last character in the name. Having
the asterisk in the name complicates the name search algorithm and we
said that the language designator is mandatory, so the asterisk is
unnecessary.  What did we decide?  Are the initial characters of 
all text and name strings:

   [charset] "'" [language] "'"

>From the syntax above, you can see that the RFC also describes a
mechanism for encoding the character set. We
should probably adopt that part of the syntax too, so we could use it
to specify character set when we go past UTF-8.

By the way, this RFC seemed familiar,  it is because Tom Hastings sent
a pointer to the draft version of this rfc on Nov. 7, 1996.  It was
draft-freed-pvcsc-01.txt.

Bob Herriot

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 07:50:04 PDT

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry to have misinformed the group during our telecon last week.
Since IPP intends the language tag to ALWAYS be present for each
'text' or 'name' string, the asterisk at the END of the name parameter
would be redundant.  If we want to allow all strings which do NOT
specify individual language tags to be in the 'job submission locale'
(in the Job Mon MIB, but I think not currently an IPP attribute),
then using the asterisk at the end of the parameter name (to tell
a parser to look for an explicit language tag in the parameter
value) would be a good idea.

Second, yes, I think it would be a good idea to use the (empty)
'charset' tag (thus following RFC 2184 syntax exactly), so that
systems which (by bilateral cooperation of client and server)
can support other character sets than UTF-8-encoded ISO 10646
to use alternate character sets (this is an IMPORTANT point 
behind RFC 2184).  Also, since the base 'charset' of HTTP is
ISO 8859-1 (ISO Latin-1) and NOT US-ASCII or UTF-8, it seems
like a good idea to preserve the ability to specify 'charset'
tags.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc
  PO Box 221
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434
------------------------ Bob's note -----------------------------
>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 19 20:26:03 1997
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:04:18 PDT
From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP>MOD encoding of language in string
Sender: [email-masked]
Status: R

Bob Herriot