Subject: IPP> jobid (one more time)

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:35:57 -0700

The new job MIB defines a 32-bit job identifier that persists as a way
of identifying a job.

The Win32 API does the same - used on the vast majority of the world's
desktops.

Bob H says that UNIX uses a 32 bit job ID in the same way.

It's not like I am suggesting that we use something obscure,
non-published or only used by 1% of the world. I am suggesting that we
may want to leverage some of the exisiting software in the world.

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 17:05:04 -0700

>From my research, you can't use the job-id returned by an IPP
server to access the Win95 print spooler. You have to use the
job-id (DWORD value) returned by the AddJob() API call. You will
then have to maintain a mapping between this Win95-derived job-id
and the job-id/job-uri returned by a remote IPP server. We are not
proposing replacing the existing software in the world, just
supplementing it.

I think the job MIB also specifies an octet string for supplemental
job identification (is this right Tom H.?)

Randy