Subject: Re: IPP>MOD Why use Job-Id instead of Job-URI for Jobs?

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:45:52 -0700

> From [email-masked] Tue Sep  9 13:37:45 1997
> 
>     We have a gateway
>     that has been in existence for four years now that solves this
>     exact problem: it maps from the LPD job identifiers to an opaque
>     printer-independent job identifier.
> 
>     And folks, it wasn't that hard to do.

Can you give a few details? Do you maintain a mapping table? If so,
what triggers the removal of entries? Or do you use an extended attribute
in the print job to hold the mapping?

Bob Herriot

---

From: Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 15:56:41 -0500

> in the print job to hold the mapping?

Uhhh...  I believe that I will leave it as an exercise for the user.
Let's just say that there is a variety of ways that one might do it;
certainly either of the solutions that you hint to above might work.
I could even imagine one or two more.

I do not mean to be too mysterious, but it seems sufficient to me
that there are implementations in the field today that solve a
similar problem.

later...
...walker

--
Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard
DAZEL Corporation, Austin, TX