Subject: IPP> Status of TLS spec.

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:34:06 PDT

Win,

My name is Carl-Uno Manros, co-chair of the IPP WG. I am writing to you in
your role as TLS WG chair.

We are approaching the date for sending out our documents for final call
and submission to the IESG for approval as Proposed Standards.

For your information, we package our IPP semantics in MIME-format, which is
transferred using HTTP 1.1 POST, and can obviously make use of Digest
Authentication (RFC 2069), but this is not sufficient for all our scenarios.

We are still struggling with the absence of formal security specification
for secure transmission, in particular the TLS, which we could reference.

How close is your group to finish the work on TLS and put it on the IETF
standards track?

Regards,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]