Subject: Re: IPP> MIME-types and alignment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:14:30 -0400

I content that when the latest and in some cases the previous
versions of printers from Lexmark, HP, IBM, Kyocera, Tektronix,
and Xerox support the printer MIB including the enum list of
printer interpreters then it is not simply "hypothetical" nor is
it "...not widely deployed..."

I suggest you might not want to base your conclusions on this
obviously wrong set of facts.

Don

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

 (Embedded                                                        
 image moved   [email-masked]      
 to file:      08/18/97 02:18 PM                                  
 PIC31334.PCX)                                                    

To:   [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked] (bcc: Don Wright)
Subject:  IPP> MIME-types and alignment

>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith
>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking
>     with MIME-type specifications.
To be more precise:
When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print
instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment
with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for
message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with
some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management
and monitoring of the status of a device.

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 02:21:18 PDT

Don,

during the Application Area Chairs'' meeting in Munich last Wednesday, I
asked Keith to amplify on his request to use MIME types rather than enums.
This resulted in Keith stating that we should see this as a directive from
him in his role as our project advisor.

My interpretation is that it does not seem likely that we will be able to
avoid the MIME-types.

Carl-Uno

At 12:14 PM 8/18/97 PDT, [email-masked] wrote:
>Attachment Converted:
"C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\PIC31334.PCX"
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]