Subject: Re: IPP> MIME-types and alignment

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:28:13 -0400

The precisely stated position is interesting. But should it not be 
     considered that this protocol is intended to be used not so much by 
     Mail, Fax and Web but by those devices for which  that "hypothetical 
     and not widely deployed protocol for system management and monitoring" 
     has been developed. And indeed, I think you would find that the 
     Printer MIB is hardly hypothetical and is implemented in a majority of 
     the printers sold today. It would appear that unnecessary 
     compatibility is regarded as critical at the expense of adding a 
     separate and currently incomplete emulation coding scheme in the 
     hardware. 
     
     It should be noted that previous investigations intended to bring the 
     MIME registry up to the point of being able to sufficiently identify 
     printer languages have been given up as too major an effort with too 
     little benefit. 

     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI 

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: IPP> MIME-types and alignment
Author:  Larry Masinter <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    8/18/97 11:18 AM

>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith 
>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking 
>     with MIME-type specifications.
     
To be more precise:
     
When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print 
instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment 
with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for 
message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with 
some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management 
and monitoring of the status of a device.

---

From: AlBrahme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:58:22 +0000

>      printer languages have been given up as too major an effort with too

  Well, what about the reverse? How will printer MIB be updated to
include
  MIME  types?

 /al