Subject: IPP> Re:

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:51:24 -0400

It should be made clear that more than a single OS vendor thought
that the use of a 32-bit job number would be more appropriate.  At the
discussion I remember at Redmond, Unix, OS/2 and NT all currently
use job numbers that would more easily map to the printer-URI and
job-identifier concept.

As a compromise position, maybe it would be better to simply
standardize that in legacy environments a job-URI should be
the printer-URI concatenated with the job-identifier.  Obvious this
would be easy to recognize for the IPP-to-LPD gateway and if
the job-URI is not of that format then the gateway must assume
the a non-legacy (is that a backwards concept or what?) system
is involved and the gateway would have to deal with this mapping
in some other manner.

Don

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

...

>I talked with Scott and Steve Zilles about the technical
>justification for this decision. Between Scott and Steve, I
>came away with the following three reasons why the decision
>was made.
>
>         1. Make it easier for one particular vendor
>            to code.