Subject: IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:59:03 -0400

Doesn't digest or http basic authentication handle this? It certainly can
identify the user.

Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 07/25/97 07:52
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        07/24/97 06:08 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet

To: ipp @ pwg.org @ internet
cc:
Subject: IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway

As I work on the LPD gateway document, I realize, once again, that the
security documents don't deal with two attributes that we in the model
have assumed would be handled at the security level.  These attributes
are:

   o job-originating-user
   o job-originating-host

The LPD-to-IPP gateway receives these two values in the control file and
the IPP-to-LPD gateway needs to put these into the control file.

There may be work-arounds for the gateway.  But that still leaves
these two job attributes without any way to set them unless we make
them explicit parameters in operations or create new HTTP headers.

Comments?

Bob Herriot

---

From: Peter Michalek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 10:39:08 -0800

I just subscribed to this mailing list 2 days ago and would like some 
basic information:

I read the documents:
HTTP 1.1  as a Transport for the Internet Printing Protocol 
(draft-turner-ipp-trans-develop-00)
Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol: draft-ietf-ipp-req-00.txt
Internet Printing Protocol - Level 1 (Simple Web Printing Protocol):  
Ipp-level1

PWG IPP Charter
RFC1867: Form-based File Upload in HTML
RFC1179: Line Printer Daemon Protocol
RFC1759: Printer MIB

and also the FAQ posted at www.pwg.org.

---
I am thinking of starting to design and implement a basic version of IPP, 
but I am not sure if this is good timing (since the protocols design is 
not finished) or if maybe there already is a basic implementation that I 
could use.

Could someone answer these questions for me:

* Are there additional documents or information related to ipp other than 
those at www.pwg.org?
* Do you hold any face-to-face meetings that I could attend in the Bay 
Area?
* Are your phone conferences accessible for me?
* Is there some reference implementation that is publicly available or
  that someone is selling?
* Do you think it's worth-while starting to implement IPP at this stage?
* What's ipp pwg's take on SWP from MS and HP? Would that perhaps be a 
good candidate for a first implementation of IPP since it's simple?
* is ISO 10175 available on the Web?

I'd be thankful for any info.

Peter

--------------------------------------------------------
Peter Michalek, ShineSoft Systems
Voice, Fax: (408) 446-5040
10025 Crescent Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.shinesoft.com

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:41:51 -0700

There is a new protocol document available at:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-00.txt

this document supercedes the draft-turner-ipp-trans-develop-00 document.

you can also access the main IETF page concerning IPP, with the latest
"published"
documents at:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipp-charter.html

and of course the PWG home page at http://www.pwg.org/

Randy