Subject: Re: IPP> IPP - current documents and implementation

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:15:50 -0600

The latested model document is at

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-970714.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-970714.txt

This is the same as draft-ietf-ipp-model-03.txt

I hope to distribute a new version (-04) prior to the Munich Meetings

* Are there additional documents or information related to ipp other than 
those at www.pwg.org? 

See the I-Ds posted at ietf.org

* Do you hold any face-to-face meetings that I could attend in the Bay 
Area?

See the web page for planned meetings (dates and places) They are usually
all over the US.

* Are your phone conferences accessible for me?

Yes, some are toll some are toll free.

* Is there some reference implementation that is publicly available or
  that someone is selling?

Contact Patrick Powell from SDSU.  His contact info is in the latest
Model document.  He has been interested in this.

* Do you think it's worth-while starting to implement IPP at this stage?

Yes, many companies are starting to prototype.  The key word is START.
See mail messages starting with TES (for interop testing).

* What's ipp pwg's take on SWP from MS and HP? Would that perhaps be a 
good candidate for a first implementation of IPP since it's simple?

SWP and IPP have found common ground and is being documented in the
latested protocol and model documents (and really all the rest)

* is ISO 10175 available on the Web?

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/dpa/

Scott

>>> Peter Michalek  <[email-masked]> 07/25/97 12:39PM >>>
I just subscribed to this mailing list 2 days ago and would like some 
basic information:

I read the documents:
HTTP 1.1  as a Transport for the Internet Printing Protocol 
(draft-turner-ipp-trans-develop-00)
Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol: draft-ietf-ipp-req-00.txt
Internet Printing Protocol - Level 1 (Simple Web Printing Protocol):  
Ipp-level1

PWG IPP Charter
RFC1867: Form-based File Upload in HTML
RFC1179: Line Printer Daemon Protocol
RFC1759: Printer MIB

and also the FAQ posted at www.pwg.org.

---
I am thinking of starting to design and implement a basic version of IPP, 
but I am not sure if this is good timing (since the protocols design is 
not finished) or if maybe there already is a basic implementation that I 
could use.

Could someone answer these questions for me:

* Are there additional documents or information related to ipp other than 
those at www.pwg.org? 
* Do you hold any face-to-face meetings that I could attend in the Bay 
Area?
* Are your phone conferences accessible for me?
* Is there some reference implementation that is publicly available or
  that someone is selling?
* Do you think it's worth-while starting to implement IPP at this stage?
* What's ipp pwg's take on SWP from MS and HP? Would that perhaps be a 
good candidate for a first implementation of IPP since it's simple?
* is ISO 10175 available on the Web?

I'd be thankful for any info.

Peter

--------------------------------------------------------
Peter Michalek, ShineSoft Systems
Voice, Fax: (408) 446-5040
10025 Crescent Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
mailto:[email-masked] 
http://www.shinesoft.com