Subject: Re: IPP> ipp & tiff

From: AlBrahme <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 07:10:51 +0000

Scott Isaacson wrote:
> 
> When you say "The tiff format currently accepted by ipp is too broad" do
> you mean that one of the enums for the "document-format" attribute is "
> 'langTIFF': 40 - Tagged Image File Format (Aldus)"??
> 
> If so, please propose a new enum value and describe it (provide its
> semantics) and I am sure that it can be added to the list in the Printer MIB
> as well as the list in IPP since they are supposed to be the same list!!
> 
> Once you do that, then an instance of an IPP Printer could implement the
> "document-formats-supported" attribute and set the value to this new value
> that you propose which is in the standard.  This is how an "an ipp
> server which can accept only a TIFF-F format can convey
> this capability information to an ipp client."
> 
> Scott
> 

  Thanks for your reply. I propse the following enum for TIFF-F.

  langTIFF_F (47) --  the Tagged Image File Format adopted for fax
(TIFF-F) by
                      ietf_fax working group and specified in the ietf
draft
                      published by them

 thanks
 /al

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:17:12 PDT

I suggest that IPP wait until IETF-FAX has actually resolved the TIFF-F
vs TIFF-FX issue in a satisfactory manner before baking TIFF-F into IPP.

Using enums instead of MIME types for describing media types in an
internet protocol is a bit suspect, isn't it?

Larry
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:40:26 PDT

>internet protocol is a bit suspect, isn't it?

Larry,

in reply to your last comment, we are proposing to use the enums from the
Printer MIB, which is already on the Internet standards track before IPP,
using SNMP as protocol, so it is only a matter of which Internet standard
we align with.  The majority of the people active in the PWG and IPP has
seen alignment with the Printer MIB and Job Monitoring MIB as more
important than with MIME, which has led to the current proposal. 

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: AlBrahme <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:05:57 +0000

> internet protocol is a bit suspect, isn't it?

 I rather suggest that we put the enum for TIFF-F now and we can add
another
 for TIFF-FX now, or later if it wins. I am in the process of
implementing
 an IPP prototype and i think getting a product out now is more
important
 than delaying. Since I think fax over internet is going to be major use
 of ipp (forget about Kinko's etc.. they will be nothing compared to fax
 over internet) it is important for IPP to get this fax friendly feature
 early.

 /al

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 12:18:23 PDT

> Since I think fax over internet is going to be major use

What leads you to believe that fax over Internet is going to be a
major use of IPP? It's not part of the scenarios or rationale document.