Subject: IPP> ADM - Minutes of 7/16 IPP Phone Call

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Zilles)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:11:13 PDT

Minutes of 16 July 1997 IPP Phone Call
By Steve Zilles

Attendees

  Ira McDonald
  Dave Kellerman
  Roger deBry
  Jeff Copeland
  Peter Zehler
  Stan McConnell
  Bob Herriot
  Scott Isaacson
  Jay Martin
  Don Wright
  Steve Zilles

2. Rationale Document

Discussion

The list of HTTP reasons does not eliminate other solution 
mechansisms such as Sockets (but these need tweaking to be a 
full solution) the text will be revised to avoid claiming 
that HTTP is the only mechanism that would satisfy the 
reasons, but it is an already defined mechanism.

There was discussion of how the Server implements things like 
Redirection and/or Localization using the Accept headers. Bob 
Herriot will investigate what the implications on the server 
(whether the server does the mapping or a CGI (or equivalent) 
script is required to do the handling of these functions.

The discussion of Redirection will indicate that if the Model 
allow moving a job, then Redirection would help.

3. MODEL Document

Document name attribute  is currently mandatory; it is 
believed that we had agreed to  make this be optional with 
the Printer generating a default name. Scott I will check out 
the past minutes to confirm this.

What does Validate mean for a URI? Must the server try to 
fetch the URI at validate time.  Answer, NO, but server is 
required to insure to the best of its ability that the URI is 
correctly formatted and is encouraged to test the URI.

Validate job may be used for a PrintURI job as well as a 
PrintJob later. This needs to be indicated in the Validate.

Change Locale and Originating User Locale to Language and add 
a Charset attribute for each of the Locales supported; refer 
to RFC2130 for Charset; 1766 for Language.

Add ÒdotÓ to the characters allowed in the key word syntax to 
allow domain names to be expressed in this syntax.

Re: format for device resolution value: use ASCII text to 
express three components, all SHALL be present. The three 
components are the resolution in the Feed direction, the 
resolution in the Cross feed direction and the units in which 
the units are expressed. The first two of these are numbers 
and the last is one of a fixed alphabetic spellings.(or the 
enum value from the SNMP Printer MIB units list. It was 
agreed that the description of resolution will be made to 
match the Printer MIB description.

Agreed that this declaration does not tell the user which 
direction on the paper will have which resolution because the 
model (and SNMP ) does not provide an indication of how the 
paper is fed. Agreed that t

Adobe must register PDF in the Printer Language Enum list

4. PROTOCOL Document

Agreed that all integers will be 32 bit integers; this 
includes Enums

Agreed the there will only be one type associated with each 
parameter or attribute

Issue (still open) should requests with respect to a job be 
directed to the Printer (and contain the JOB URI) or be 
directed to the Job URI. The concern is the impact on the 
server to handle POSTs to all the Job URIs; is this too large 
a burden on the HTTP server.
LPD Mapping Document

Should the Mapping document disambiguate cases that are not 
fully specified in RFC 1179; for example should 

Agreed that the Mapping document (a) documents current 
practice; not necessarily 1179 and (b) may have clarification 
and/or additions to 1179

5. Other Business

5.1 Security Document

Issue: whether an authenticated user (via basic, digest or 
TLS) can have different views/privileges with respect to the 
Printer. For example, can Cancel Job be limited to the user 
that submitted the Job. There is an attribute in the model 
for job-originating-user/ 

Action: fix the Model document to say that control of access 
for data or operations is not solely a funciton of the model, 
but is dependent on the security mechanisms used. IPP does 
not specify how the security level is integrated.

5.2 Meeting with Printer Analysts/Press to describe agreed IPP

Roger deBry described a possible IPP to Analysts meeting in 
Boulder, one of Aug 20-22

IBM has analysts/press comming to Boulder for other purposes 
and is willing to devote one day of this period

6. Adjourn at 2:50 PDT