Subject: IPP> MOD - Is "best-effort" a new printing system feature?

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:57:21 -0400 (EDT)

While trying to resolve the parameter-vs-attribute issue for
"best-effort", no one (to my knowledge) has offered up any
example of such a feature in any currently deployed printing
system.

That is, is the concept and mechanism of "best-effort" something
NEW to the printing world?  (It certainly doesn't seem specific
to Web printing, by any means.)

If there are no obvious reference implementations for handling
"best-effort" in the world today, then it would appear that we
are addressing a GENERIC printing system feature, and not
something specific to the Web (ie, Internet Printing).

Just an observation.  However, if there are no printing systems
today that deal with "best-effort", then we had best resolve
this issue very, very quickly, as it adds no real value to
the concept of Internet Printing.

Best-effort is definitely a great feature, but we've spent far
too many cycles on this one aspect of IPP, IMHO.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:35:19 PDT

Jay,

see my comment below.

Carl-Uno

>the concept of Internet Printing.

In earlier discussions I have maintained that "best effort" is what most
every printing system does today (think font substitution & media
substitution for a start).  In my view, the NEW feature is for a printing
system to guarantee full fidelity  and that that it will adhere to ALL
attribute values asked for in a print request, or refuse the job.

>too many cycles on this one aspect of IPP, IMHO.
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]