Subject: IPP> MOD - Proposal to remove ValidateJob in IPP 1.0

From: Keith Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:06:16 -0400

In the spirit of simplification, I propose we remove VaildateJob from IPP 1.0
because (1) GetAttributes is now a mandatory operation on a Printer (2) an
application can use GetAttributes to obtain valid attributes and values for a
Printer BEFORE submitting a job to the Printer (3) removing ValidateJob is one
less operation to implement and test i.e. we remove a straw from the IPP
camel's back (as someone stated in the email, these straws do add up).

I'll be out of the office through July 23 so I will not be able to correspond
on this matter until then.  However, I'll pick up the consensus at that time
and proceed from there.

Have fun,

Keith

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:43:17 -0700

Did anyone else have any comments related to Keith's proposal. If his
two predicates
he mentions are true, wouldn't it make sense to remove it?

By the way, I too would like to see us progress to prototyping as fast
as possible, curtailing
as few new tweaks as possible. But this is a simplification, something
that seeks to
enhance and speed up the availability of prototypes.

Randy

--
Randy Turner