Subject: IPP> Cancel Job operation

From: [email-masked] (Philip Thambidurai)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:39:53 -0400

RE: The CancelJob operation,  what was the basis for deciding to allow 
     ONLY the job-originator to cancel?  what if someone who is travelling 
     submits a large job that is not printable for some reason and must be 
     deleted in mid-job. Does IPP assume that there will be some other
     mechanism for canceling the job (by an administrator or operator)?
     
     Does IPP preclude vendor-specific operations on the Printer object 
     (say for management)? 
     
     I'm sure you have considered these issues before. Please bear with 
     me!!
     
     Regards
     Philip Thambidurai
     Okidata

---

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:19:15 -0600

Philip, 

One of the first discussion items for the scope of IPP included whether or
not to include "operator", "manager", or "administrator" operations and
semantics along with "end user" operations and semantics.  The consensus
within the first few days of dicssion was that IPP/1.0 only includes end
user operations and semantics.  

>>> Philip Thambidurai <[email-masked]> 07/15 9:39 AM >>>

SAI> No.  There definitly is allow some administrative or 
SAI> operator interface to do this.
SAI> 
SAI> Since IPP does introduce a cancel operation, a site could implement
SAI> a policy that allowed authenticated operators rights to cancel all jobs
SAI> We might have to change this statement in the model document to show
SAI> what a reasonable policy might be and not try to force a policy in the
SAI> standard itsef.