Subject: IPP> RE: "Asynchronous Notification"

From: [email-masked] (Philip Thambidurai)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:11:12 -0400

Please disregard my post on Async. notification --- the 
"notify-addresses" attribute of the job template certainly takes care of my 
concern.

______________________________ Forward Header __________________________________
     >>Subject: "Asynchronous Notification"
     >>Author:  Philip Thambidurai at ODA-ENG
     >>Date:    7/17/97 2:48 PM
     
     >>The Requirements document states that "clients must be able to 
     >>request async notification for printer events such as ... job 
     >>completion, ..."
     >>
     >>Is this REALLY provided in the protocol?  To me, this appears to imply 
     >>that when the job is completed, the printer will send a message to the 
     >>client (ASYNCHRONOUSLY). 
     >>
     >>While the GetJobs response could contain a completed job list, it is 
     >>stricly SYNCHRONOUS ???  (relative to GetJobs request).
     >>
     >>Would it make sense to call it "Conditional notification" --- meaning 
     >>that the client could find out about job completion by issuing the 
     >>synchronous GetJobs, conditional on the printer still keeping track 
     >>of the particular completed job status.
     >>