Subject: IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:56:10 -0700

As I work on the LPD gateway document, I realize, once again, that the
security documents don't deal with two attributes that we in the model
have assumed would be handled at the security level.  These attributes
are:

   o job-originating-user
   o job-originating-host

The LPD-to-IPP gateway receives these two values in the control file and
the IPP-to-LPD gateway needs to put these into the control file.

There may be work-arounds for the gateway.  But that still leaves
these two job attributes without any way to set them unless we make
them explicit parameters in operations or create new HTTP headers.

Comments?

Bob Herriot

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:55:16 -0700

Roger,

According to my reading of the RFC's, both basic authentication and
digest pass along a user name, but neither passes the client's host.
However, digest has the concept of realm which is the context of the
user name, and that is essentially the purpose of host name in LPD.

But I still stand by my original comment which stated that the security
document does not address the issue of supporting job-originating-host
or job-originating-user.  Perhaps the model needs to abandon
job-originating-host and replace it by 'realm'. 

In any case, the security document needs to state how to support the
job security attributes, such as job-originating-user, for each
security solution.  Otherwise, we don't have interoperability.

Bob Herriot

> From [email-masked] Fri Jul 25 07:09:39 1997
> 
> Doesn't digest or http basic authentication handle this? It certainly can
> identify the user.
> 
> Roger K deBry
> Senior Techncial Staff Member
> Architecture and Technology
> IBM Printing Systems
> email: [email-masked]
> phone: 1-303-924-4080
> 
> 
> ---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 07/25/97 07:52
> AM ---------------------------
> 
>         ipp-owner @ pwg.org
>         07/24/97 06:08 PM
> Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
> 
> To: ipp @ pwg.org @ internet
> cc:
> Subject: IPP>SEC >MOD security and the LPD gateway
>