Subject: IPP> Identifying jobs in requests

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:11:38 -0700

This is to propose a change to the model based on reviewing the
protocol.

At present the plan is that to cancel (for example) a job you send a
cancel operation to the job's URL. 

Bob Herroitt and I propose that this be changed: you send a cancel
operation to the printer URL giving a JobId as a parameter.

This has the advantage that the client only needs to know one URL for
all operations on a given printer.

This then carries through into GetJobs returning a set of Jobids instead
of a set of Job URLs. A jobid is just an opaque token, the client should
not attempt to use it except as a way of identifying a job back to the
server.

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:30:01 PDT

> all operations on a given printer.

Why is it an advantage to have to know the Job ID instead of
the Job URL? What is the nature of the advantage?