Subject: IPP> MOD/PRO - What are MIME types for IPP document-format attribute?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:02:06 PDT

I went to IANA to see what MIME types are registered, since IPP Model
and Protocol are considering using the "MIME types", instead of
the Printer MIB assigned enums for the values of the document-format
attribute.  

I'd like to discuss this tommorrow at the IPP Protocol meeting.

What I found was the following under "Media Types":

The "media-types" directory contains a subdirectory for each content
type and each of those directories contains a file for each content
subtype.

                               |-application-
                               |-audio-------
                               |-image-------
                 |-media-types-|-message-----
                               |-model-------
                               |-multipart---
                               |-text--------
                               |-video-------

   URL = ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types

The three registered media types that seem of interest to IPP 
that have some corresondence to the Printer MIB enum registry (also
kept by IANA as printer-languages) are:

application/postscript
application/vnd.hp-PCL
application/pdf

Even though pdf doesn't have an IANA printer-language enum assignment
(no Printer MIB PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC).

So I went to each of the sub-directories for the 3 above to find out
about them:

application/postscript had the following:

See RFC 1341.

application/vnd.hp-PCL had the following:

>From [email-masked]  Fri Feb 28 09:09:03 1997
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Registration of new MIME content-type/subtype
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:09:03 -0700

      MIME type name: application

      MIME subtype name: vnd.hp-PCL

      Required parameters: none

      Optional parameters: none

      Encoding considerations: PCL files may contain long lines or binary data 
        such as images and should be encoded using Content-Transfer-Encoding: 
        binary.

      Security considerations: Delivery of this format to a printer 
        which is not capable of parsing the format may result in poor 
        printer behavior.

      Published specification:
        PCL-PJL Technical Reference Manual Documentation Package
        HP Part No. 5012-0330

      Company Contact:
        Customer Service Center
        Hewlett-Packard Co.
        (208)323-2551

application/pdf had the following:

To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME type: application/pdf
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 1994 15:56:11 PDT
From: "Steve Zilles" <[email-masked]>

To:  [email-masked]
Subject:  Registration of new MIME content-type/subtype

      MIME type name: application

      (If the above is not an existing top-level MIME type,
      please explain why an existing type cannot be used.)

      MIME subtype name: pdf

        A Content-Type of "application/pdf" indicates a document in
        Portable Document Format.  Currently  there are two variants of
        the PDF language: the original level 1 variant is described
        in [PDF] and the more recent level 1.1 variant is described
        in an Adobe Systems Application Note that is an addendum to [PDF].

      Required parameters: none

      Optional parameters: none

      Encoding considerations: PDF files may contain binary data (either
        in strings or in streams (which are used to represent images
        among other things).

      Security considerations:
        
        There are two levels of viewer for PDF files: The first level of
        viewer is completely self contained and is capable of displaying
        or printing the PDF file and maybe capable of changing the file
        and writing out a revised file. (Here "file" stands for the MIME
        content portion that is in PDF form.) The second level of viewer
        is capable of supporting plug-in modules that extend the
        functionality of the viewer and may be able to perform any
        operation that is legal in the process/thread in which the
        viewer is running.  Message-sending software should not make use
        of arbitrary plug-ins; they are likely to be missing from
        some implementations. Message-receiving and -displaying software
        should make sure that any nonstandard viewer plug-ins are
        secure and don't present any kind of threat.

      Published specification:

        [PDF](Version 1.0): Portable Document Format Reference Manual,
        Adobe Systems, Inc, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. ISBN
        0-201-62628-4, 1993.

        Version 1.1: An Adobe Systems, Inc Technical Note

      (The published specification must be an Internet RFC or
      RFC-to-be if a new top-level type is being defined, and
      must be a publicly available specification in any
      case.)

      Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Tim Bienz 
        Adobe System Inc.
        1585 Charleston Rd.
        Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
        USA
        [email-masked]
or
        Stephen Zilles
        Adobe System Inc.
        1585 Charleston Rd.
        Mountain View, CA 94039-7900
        USA
        [email-masked]

[]

Here is the file media-types which is all of the media types:

MEDIA TYPES

[RFC1521] specifies that Content Types, Content Subtypes, Character
Sets, Access Types, and Conversion values for MIME mail will be
assigned and listed by the IANA.

Content Types and Subtypes
--------------------------

Type            Subtype         Description                 Reference
----            -------         -----------                 ---------
text            plain                            [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                richtext                         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                enriched                                    [RFC1896]
                tab-separated-values                   [Paul Lindner]
                html                                        [RFC1866]
                sgml                                        [RFC1874]
                vnd.latex-z                                   [Lubos]
                vnd.fmi.flexstor                             [Hurtta]

multipart       mixed                            [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                alternative                      [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                digest                           [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                parallel                         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                appledouble                [MacMime,Patrik Faltstrom]
                header-set                             [Dave Crocker]
                form-data                                   [RFC1867]
                related                                     [RFC2112]
                report                                      [RFC1892]
                voice-message                               [RFC1911]
                signed                                      [RFC1847]
                encrypted                                   [RFC1847]
                byteranges                                  [RFC2068]

message         rfc822                           [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                partial                          [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                external-body                    [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                news                        [RFC 1036, Henry Spencer]
                http                                        [RFC2068]

application     octet-stream                     [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                postscript                       [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                oda                              [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                atomicmail                    [atomicmail,Borenstein]
                andrew-inset                [andrew-inset,Borenstein]
                slate                           [slate,terry crowley]
                wita              [Wang Info Transfer,Larry Campbell]
                dec-dx            [Digital Doc Trans, Larry Campbell]
                dca-rft        [IBM Doc Content Arch, Larry Campbell]
                activemessage                          [Ehud Shapiro]
                rtf                                    [Paul Lindner]
                applefile                  [MacMime,Patrik Faltstrom]
                mac-binhex40               [MacMime,Patrik Faltstrom]
                news-message-id              [RFC1036, Henry Spencer]
                news-transmission            [RFC1036, Henry Spencer]
                wordperfect5.1                         [Paul Lindner]
                pdf                                    [Paul Lindner]
                zip                                    [Paul Lindner]
                macwriteii                             [Paul Lindner]
                msword                                 [Paul Lindner]
                remote-printing                        [RFC1486,Rose]
                mathematica                             [Van Nostern]
                cybercash                                  [Eastlake]
                commonground                                 [Glazer]
                iges                                          [Parks]
                riscos                                        [Smith]
                eshop                                          [Katz]
                x400-bp                                     [RFC1494]
                sgml                                        [RFC1874]
                cals-1840                                   [RFC1895]
                pgp-encrypted                               [RFC2015]
                pgp-signature                               [RFC2015]
                pgp-keys                                    [RFC2015]
                vnd.framemaker                               [Wexler]
                vnd.mif                                      [Wexler]
                vnd.ms-excel                                   [Gill]
                vnd.ms-powerpoint                              [Gill]
                vnd.ms-project                                 [Gill]
                vnd.ms-works                                   [Gill]
                vnd.ms-tnef                                    [Gill]
                vnd.svd                                      [Becker]
                vnd.music-niff                               [Butler]
                vnd.ms-artgalry                             [Slawson]
                vnd.truedoc                                   [Chase]
                vnd.koan                                       [Cole]
                vnd.street-stream                            [Levitt]
                vnd.fdf                                      [Zilles]
                set-payment-initiation                       [Korver]
                set-payment                                  [Korver]
                set-registration-initiation                  [Korver]
                set-registration                             [Korver]
                vnd.seemail                                    [Webb]
                vnd.businessobjects                         [Imoucha]
                vnd.meridian-slingshot                        [Wedel]
                vnd.xara                                 [Matthewman]
                sgml-open-catalog                            [Grosso]
                vnd.rapid                                   [Szekely]
                vnd.enliven                              [Santinelli]
                vnd.japannet-registration-wakeup              [Fujii]
                vnd.japannet-verification-wakeup              [Fujii]
                vnd.japannet-payment-wakeup                   [Fujii]
                vnd.japannet-directory-service                [Fujii]
                vnd.intertrust.digibox                    [Tomasello]
                vnd.intertrust.nncp                       [Tomasello]
                prs.alvestrand.titrax-sheet              [Alvestrand]
                vnd.noblenet-web                            [Solomon]
                vnd.noblenet-sealer                         [Solomon]
                vnd.noblenet-directory                      [Solomon]
                prs.nprend                                  [Doggett]
                vnd.webturbo                                  [Rehem]
                hyperstudio                                  [Domino]
                vnd.shana.informed.formtemplate             [Selzler]
                vnd.shana.informed.formdata                 [Selzler] 
                vnd.shana.informed.package                  [Selzler]
                vnd.shana.informed.interchange              [Selzler]
                vnd.$commerce_battelle                    [Applebaum]
                vnd.osa.netdeploy                              [Klos]
                vnd.ibm.MiniPay                            [Herzberg]
                vnd.japannet-jpnstore-wakeup              [Yoshitake]
                vnd.japannet-setstore-wakeup              [Yoshitake]
                vnd.japannet-verification                 [Yoshitake]
                vnd.japannet-registration                 [Yoshitake]
                vnd.hp-HPGL                               [Pentecost]
                vnd.hp-PCL                                [Pentecost]
                vnd.hp-PCLXL                              [Pentecost]
                vnd.musician                                  [Adams]
                vnd.FloGraphIt                             [Floersch]
                vnd.intercon.formnet                          [Gurak]
                vemmi                                       [RFC2122]
                vnd.ms-asf                               [Fleischman]
                vnd.ecdis-update                       [Buettgenbach]
                vnd.powerbuilder6                               [Guy]
                vnd.powerbuilder6-s                             [Guy]
                vnd.lotus-wordpro                      [Wattenberger]
                vnd.lotus-approach                     [Wattenberger]
                vnd.lotus-1-2-3                        [Wattenberger]
                vnd.lotus-organizer                    [Wattenberger]
                vnd.lotus-screencam                    [Wattenberger]
                vnd.lotus-freelance                    [Wattenberger]
                vnd.fujitsu.oasys                           [Togashi]
                vnd.fujitsu.oasys2                          [Togashi]
                vnd.swiftview-ics                           [Widener]

image           jpeg                             [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                gif                              [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                ief             Image Exchange Format       [RFC1314]
                g3fax                                       [RFC1494]
                tiff            Tag Image File Format          [Rose]
                cgm             Computer Graphics Metafile  [Francis]
                naplps                                       [Ferber]
                vnd.dwg                                      [Moline]
                vnd.svf                                      [Moline]
                vnd.dxf                                      [Moline]
                png                                 [Randers-Pehrson]
                vnd.fpx                                     [Spencer]
                vnd.net-fpx                                 [Spencer]

audio           basic                            [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                32kadpcm                                    [RFC1911]
                vnd.qcelp                                 [Lundblade]

video           mpeg                             [RFC1521,Borenstein]
                quicktime                              [Paul Lindner]
                vnd.vivo                                      [Wolfe]
                vnd.motorola.video                          [McGinty]
                vnd.motorola.videop                         [McGinty]

model                                                       [RFC2077]
                iges                                          [Parks]
                vrml                                        [RFC2077]
                mesh                                        [RFC2077]

The "media-types" directory contains a subdirectory for each content
type and each of those directories contains a file for each content
subtype.

                               |-application-
                               |-audio-------
                               |-image-------
                 |-media-types-|-message-----
                               |-model-------
                               |-multipart---
                               |-text--------
                               |-video-------

   URL = ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types

Character Sets
--------------

All of the character sets listed the section on Character Sets are
registered for use with MIME as MIME Character Sets.  The
correspondance between the few character sets listed in the MIME
specification [RFC1521] and the list in that section are:

Type           Description                                  Reference
----           -----------                                  ---------
US-ASCII       see ANSI_X3.4-1968 below          [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-1     see ISO_8859-1:1987 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-2     see ISO_8859-2:1987 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-3     see ISO_8859-3:1988 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-4     see ISO_8859-4:1988 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-5     see ISO_8859-5:1988 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-6     see ISO_8859-6:1987 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-7     see ISO_8859-7:1987 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-8     see ISO_8859-8:1988 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ISO-8859-9     see ISO_8859-9:1989 below         [RFC1521,Borenstein]

Access Types
------------

Type           Description                                  Reference
----           -----------                                  ---------
FTP                                              [RFC1521,Borenstein]
ANON-FTP                                         [RFC1521,Borenstein]
TFTP                                             [RFC1521,Borenstein]
AFS                                              [RFC1521,Borenstein]
LOCAL-FILE                                       [RFC1521,Borenstein]
MAIL-SERVER                                      [RFC1521,Borenstein]
content-id                                                  [RFC1873]

Conversion Values
-----------------

Conversion values or Content Transfer Encodings.

Type           Description                                  Reference
----           -----------                                  ---------
7BIT                                             [RFC1521,Borenstein]
8BIT                                             [RFC1521,Borenstein]
BASE64                                           [RFC1521,Borenstein]
BINARY                                           [RFC1521,Borenstein]
QUOTED-PRINTABLE                                 [RFC1521,Borenstein]

MIME / X.400 MAPPING TABLES

MIME to X.400 Table

    MIME content-type          X.400 Body Part             Reference
    -----------------          ------------------          ---------
    text/plain
      charset=us-ascii         ia5-text                     [RFC1494]
      charset=iso-8859-x       EBP - GeneralText            [RFC1494]
    text/richtext              no mapping defined           [RFC1494]
    application/oda            EBP - ODA                    [RFC1494]
    application/octet-stream   bilaterally-defined          [RFC1494]
    application/postscript     EBP - mime-postscript-body   [RFC1494]
    image/g3fax                g3-facsimile                 [RFC1494]
    image/jpeg                 EBP - mime-jpeg-body         [RFC1494]
    image/gif                  EBP - mime-gif-body          [RFC1494]
    audio/basic                no mapping defined           [RFC1494]
    video/mpeg                 no mapping defined           [RFC1494]

    Abbreviation: EBP - Extended Body Part

X.400 to MIME Table

                             Basic Body Parts

    X.400 Basic Body Part      MIME content-type           Reference
    ---------------------      --------------------        ---------
    ia5-text                   text/plain;charset=us-ascii [RFC1494]
    voice                      No Mapping Defined          [RFC1494]
    g3-facsimile               image/g3fax                 [RFC1494]
    g4-class1                  no mapping defined          [RFC1494]
    teletex                    no mapping defined          [RFC1494]
    videotex                   no mapping defined          [RFC1494]
    encrypted                  no mapping defined          [RFC1494]
    bilaterally-defined        application/octet-stream    [RFC1494]
    nationally-defined         no mapping defined          [RFC1494]
    externally-defined         See Extended Body Parts     [RFC1494]

    X.400 Extended Body Part  MIME content-type            Reference
    ------------------------- --------------------         ---------
    GeneralText               text/plain;charset=iso-8859-x[RFC1494] 
    ODA                       application/oda              [RFC1494]
    mime-postscript-body      application/postscript       [RFC1494]
    mime-jpeg-body            image/jpeg                   [RFC1494]
    mime-gif-body             image/gif                    [RFC1494]

REFERENCES

[MacMime] Work in Progress.

[RFC1036] Horton, M., and R. Adams, "Standard for Interchange of
          USENET Messages", RFC 1036, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
          Center for Seismic Studies, December 1987.

[RFC1494] Alvestrand, H., and S. Thompson, "Equivalences between 1988
          X.400 and RFC-822 Message Bodies", RFC 1494, SINTEF DELAB,
          Soft*Switch, Inc., August 1993.

[RFC1521] Borenstien, N., and N. Freed, "MIME (Multipurpose Internet
          Mail Extensions) Part One: Mechanisms for Specifying and
          Describing the Format of Internet Message Bodies", RFC 1521,
          Bellcore, Innosoft, September 1993.

[RFC1563] Borenstien, N., "The text/enriched MIME content-type". RFC
          1563, Bellcore, January 1994.

[RFC1866] Berners-Lee, T., and D. Connolly, "Hypertext Markup Language
          - 2.0", RFC 1866, MIT/W3C, November 1995.

[RFC1867] Nebel, E., L. Masinter, "Form-based File Upload in HTML",
          RFC 1867, Xerox Corporation, November 1995.

[RFC1873] Levinson, E., "Message/External-Body Content-ID Access
          Type", RFC 1873, Accurate Information Systems, Inc. December
          1995.

[RFC1874] Levinson, E., "SGML Media Types", RFC 1874, Accurate
          Information Systems, Inc. December 1995.

[RFC1895] Levinson, E., "The Application/CALS-1840 Content Type", RFC
          1895, Accurate Information Systems, February 1996.

[RFC1896] Resnick, P., and A. Walker, "The Text/Enriched MIME Content
          Type", RFC 1896, Qualcomm, Intercon, February 1996.

[RFC1911] Vaudreuil, G., "Voice Profile for Internet Mail", RFC 1911,
          Octel Network Services, February 1996.

[RFC1945] Berners-Lee, Y., R. Feilding, and H.Frystyk, "Hypertext
          Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.0", RFC 1945. MIT/LCS, UC
          Irvine, MIT/LCS, May 1996.

[RFC2077] Nelson, S., C. Parks, and Mitra, "The Model Primary Content
          Type for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions", RFC 2077,
          LLNL, NIST, WorldMaker, January 1997.

[RFC2112] Levinson, E., "The MIME Multipart/Related Content-type", RFC
          2112, XIson Inc, February 1997.

[RFC2122] Mavrakis, D., Layec, H., and K. Kartmann, "VEMMI URL
          Specification", RFC 2122, Monaco Telematique MC-TEL,
          ETSI, Telecommunication+Multimedia, March 1997. 

PEOPLE

[Adams] Greg Adams <[email-masked]>, March 1997.

[Alvestrand] Harald T. Alvestrand <[email-masked]>,
                                  January 1997.

[Applebaum] David Applebaum <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Becker] Scott Becker, <[email-masked]>, April 1996.

[Berners-Lee] Tim Berners-Lee, <[email-masked]>, May 1996.

[Borenstein] Nathaniel Borenstein, <[email-masked]>, April 1994.

[Buettgenbach] Gert Buettgenbach, <[email-masked]>, May 1997.

[Butler] Tim Butler, <[email-masked]>, April 1996.

[Larry Campbell]

[Chase] Brad Chase, <[email-masked]>, May 1996.

[Cole] Pete Cole, <[email-masked]>, June 1996.

[Dave Crocker]  Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>

[Terry Crowley]

[Doggett] Jay Doggett, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Domino] Michael Domino, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Eastlake] Donald E. Eastlake 3rd, [email-masked], April 1995.

[Faltstrom] Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>

[Fleischman] Eric Fleischman <[email-masked]>, April 1997.

[Floersch] Dick Floersch <[email-masked]>, March 1997.

[Francis] Alan Francis, [email-masked], December 1995.

[Fujii] Kiyofusa Fujii <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Gill] Sukvinder S. Gill, <[email-masked]>, April 1996.

[Glazer] David Glazer, <[email-masked]>, April 1995.

[Gurak] Tom Gurak, <[email-masked]>, March 1997.

[Guy] David Guy, <[email-masked]>, June 1997.

[Herzberg] Amir Herzberg, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Hurtta] Kari E. Hurtta <[email-masked]>

[Imoucha] Philippe Imoucha <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Katz] Steve Katz, <[email-masked]>, June 1995.

[Klos] Steven Klos, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Korver] Brian Korver <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Levitt] Glenn Levitt <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Lubos] Mikusiak Lubos <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Lundblade] Laurence Lundblade <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Matthewman] David Matthewman <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[McGinty] Tom McGinty <[email-masked]>

[Moline] Jodi Moline, <[email-masked]>, Aprol 1996.

[Paul Lindner]

[Parks] Curtis Parks, <[email-masked]>, April 1995.

[Pentecost] Bob Pentecost, <[email-masked]>, March 1997.

[Randers-Pehrson] Glenn Randers-Pehrson <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Rehem] Yaser Rehem, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Rose] Marshall Rose, <[email-masked]>, April 1995.

[Santinelli] Paul Santinelli, Jr. <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Shapiro] Ehud Shapiro

[Slawson] Dean Slawson, <[email-masked]>, May 1996.

[Smith] Nick Smith, <[email-masked]>, June 1995.

[Solomon] Monty Solomon, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Spencer] Marc Douglas Spencer <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Henry Spencer]

[Szekely] Etay Szekely <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Togashi] Nobukazu Togashi <[email-masked]>, June 1997.

[Tomasello] Luke Tomasello <[email-masked]>

[Wattenberger] Paul Wattenberger <[email-masked]>, June 1997.

[Webb] Steve Webb <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Wedel] Eric Wedel <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[Wexler] Mike Wexler, <[email-masked]>, April 1996.

[Widener] Glenn Widener <[email-masked]>, June 1997.

[Wolfe] John Wolfe, <[email-masked]>, April 1996.

[Van Nostern] Gene C. Van Nostern <[email-masked]>, February 1995.

[Yoshitake] Jun Yoshitake, <[email-masked]>, February 1997.

[Zilles] Steve Zilles <[email-masked]>, October 1996.

[]

---

From: AlBrahme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 16:08:36 +0000

The ipp1 (formerly swp) protocol says that the
attribute Document-Format values are taken from
RFC 1759. RFC 1759 has the langTIFF listed but
not TIFF-F format used by fax community. I would
like ipp1 to include specifically TIFF-F format
also so that ipp1 fax servers can be implemented
easily by accepting only TIFF-F formats.
We can reserve the value of 47 for TIFF-F in this
case.

thanks
/al