Subject: IPP> create job IPP operation

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:10:42 -0700

In our current document we have a CREATE-JOB operation that specifies up
front
how many documents we have. Is this an unrealistic requirement for
future IPP
clients (or drivers) ? Will they always know how many documents are
coming when
they first do the CREATE-JOB?

My feeling is that the clients might not know how many documents will be
sent, and
if that is the case, we need a mechanism for SEND-DOCUMENT to indicate
to
the server that this is the last document for the job. There are at
least 3 ways to do
this off the top of my head:

1. Have a specific SEND-DOCUMENT attribute or parameter that flags a
particular
    request as the last document for the job.

2. Since we are using HTTP 1.1 with persistent connections, just close
the TCP
    connection from client to host indicating the end of the job stream
(or last document).

3. Have another IPP operation called END-JOB or CLOSE-JOB that
unambiguously
    encapsulates the job stream within a CREATE-JOB/END-JOB pair.

Comments?

Randy

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:21:02 -0400

>>>>> "RT" == Randy Turner <[email-masked]> writes:

RT> ...we need a mechanism for SEND-DOCUMENT to indicate to the server
RT> that this is the last document for the job. There are at least 3
RT> ways to do this off the top of my head:

RT> ...

RT> 2. Since we are using HTTP 1.1 with persistent connections, just
RT> close the TCP connection from client to host indicating the end of
RT> the job stream (or last document).

  Don't throw away the advantage of persistent connections by
  repeating the HTTP{0.9|1.0} mistake of using the connection close as
  a normal signalling mechanism.

  For example, I expect that many implementors will want to follow up
  a submit-job with an immediate status query (my own alias for
  invoking lpr includes an lpq).

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/