Subject: Re: IPP> PRO - Re: Print by reference

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:06:24 -0400 (EDT)

>   Surely you are not suggesting that an IPP client implementation must
>   include SNMP as well as HTTP?  If you thought you were getting
>   resistance to layering IPP on HTTP...

Are you suggesting that submitting a job using one protocol--but using
a *completely* different protocol to monitor the status--is not a very
good thing to do?

	...jay

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:19:24 -0400

SL> Surely you are not suggesting that an IPP client implementation must
SL> include SNMP as well as HTTP?  If you thought you were getting
SL> resistance to layering IPP on HTTP...

>>>>> "JK" == JK Martin <[email-masked]>:

JK> Are you suggesting that submitting a job using one protocol--but using
JK> a *completely* different protocol to monitor the status--is not a very
JK> good thing to do?

>>>>> "HL" == Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>:

HL> No, I was suggesting the IPP client would include SNMP as well as IPP. It's
HL> everyone trying to squeeze through the same hole in the firewall which is
HL> causing HTTP to enter the conversation. If IPP is to layer
HL> on HTTP, they why not SNMP. I'm sure it has already been done.

  There have been a couple of proposals for layering SNMP over HTTP
  and/or mapping SNMP operations to URLs.  There is no standard for
  either, however.

  Perhaps I should have been more explicit:

     Requiring the use of two protocols to solve one problem, whether
     or not they are both layered over a third protocol, is a Bad
     Idea.

  The essential issue here is one of complexity; I believe that what
  IPP is attempting to do is define a the operations for submitting
  and user-level control of print jobs.  The MIBs (which I have not
  studied) should be designed to support _Management_ (the 'M') -
  which is to say monitoring and control, usually by a third party
  (neither the printer nor the user of the printer).

  The requirements for operation and management are different, and I
  don't think that it helps either effort to combine them.  It
  certainly isn't good design (IMHO) to require both MIME/HTTP parsers
  and ASN1/SNMP parsers just to submit a job to a printer.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/