Subject: IPP> SEC & MOD - Get-Attributes operation

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:22:07 PDT

We have just finished our SEC conference call for today and feel confident
that we now have all the important stuff that we expect to provide in the
document and will issue a new I-D shortly.  We expect to discuss with the
Protocol group on Tuesday, what they might still need from us to go into
their document.

One issue that came up, was related to the Get-Attributes operation.

It is quite possible that a particular Job on a printer has different
security requirements than getting information about the Printer itself.
The Job security level is often determined by the job owner, while the
Printer security level is determined by the printer administrator.

This seems to be a good reason to split up the Get-Attributes into a
Get-Job-Attributes and a Get-Printer-Attributes operation. 
(Remember we created two new ones yesterday, so we are on the roll here :-)

I know that we have had this kind of discussion previously, but this is a
new argument that has now come up in support of making a split.  

As far as I can remember from last time we discussed this, there are
situations in which you want to get back both Printer attributes and Job
attributes in a response (e.g. printer status, when you ask about job
status), but is that really a strong enough reason to only have one
Get-Attributes operation, or should we rather consider making some special
rules for things like status information?

Comments?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

I agree entirely with the need to have separate "Get Attributes"
operations for Job(s) and Printer, particularly given security
considerations.

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Thu Jun 12 17:34 EDT 1997
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:22:07 PDT
To: [email-masked]
From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Subject: IPP> SEC & MOD - Get-Attributes operation

Comments?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros

----- End Included Message -----

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:04:14 -0700

I don't understand why having two separate GetAttribute operations are
needed if the security requirements differ for a job and a printer.
The job and printer should have different URIs.  Is this different from
two printers with different URIs having different security requirements
with the same GetAttributes operation?

By the way, the model as currently defined, returns only job attributes
or printer attributes for the GetAttributes and GetJobs operations.

Bob Herriot

> From [email-masked] Thu Jun 12 14:52:39 1997
>

---

From: Brian Grimshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 16:01:43 -0700

How does this relate to the statements in the IPP/1.0 Model document:

   "...
   5.1.5 The Get-Attributes operation allows client to obtain
   information from a Printer or Job object.
   ...
   5.1.5.1 ... The client shall submit the Get-Attributes request
   to a Job URI or Printer URI.
   ..."

Does this not handle the needed separation of job and printer attributes?

Brian

>rules for things like status information?

Brian Grimshaw
Apple Computer, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:03:40 -0400 (EDT)

You're absolutely right, Bob.  I completely forgot about the fact
that any given IPP operation is targeted to a specific URL, and hence,
can have different semantics based on the target.

Only one "Get Attributes" operation is necessary as long as we stay
with a model that revolves around operations targeted to specific URLs.

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Thu Jun 12 18:07 EDT 1997
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:04:14 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> SEC & MOD - Get-Attributes operation
Cc: [email-masked]

Bob Herriot

----- End Included Message -----