Subject: IPP> ADM - Goals of the IPP Working Group

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:37:55 PDT

All,

I know it is a long time back (6 - 8 months) since we discussed the scope
of the project, but I would encourage everybody who want to debate the SWP
vs. full IPP issue to go back and read what the charter for this group states.
It is referenced from the IPP web page, if you do not know where to find it.

In particular, I would like to call your attention to this piece of text
from our IETF charter:

"The goal of this working group is to develop requirements for Internet
Printing and to describe a model and semantics for Internet Printing. 

The further goal is to define a new application level Internet Printing
Protocol for the following core functions: 

- for a user to find out about a printer's capabilities 
- for a user to submit print jobs to a printer 
- for a user to find out the status of a printer or a print job 
- for a user to cancel a previously submitted job" 

This is what we promised to deliver at the beginning of the project, and
this what we have been working to provide so far. Some of the discussion on
the DL lately seem to question the scope of the whole project, which I find
very disturbing.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]