Subject: IPP> MOD - ISSUE: values of "document-format" should be the same for model and protocol?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:09:34 PDT

Page 54, lines 422-427: "document-format" attribute.

Values should be the same in the Model and Protocol. Mapping from the
Printer enum symbols (without the 'lang' prefix in the Model) to MIME
type/sub-type names (in the protocol) is not going to be very consistent
between implementations.  

Problems with mapping from Printer MIB enum symbol keywords to 
MIME type/sub-type names:

What does "SimpleText" enum symbol map to MIME type/sub-type name?  

MIME type/sub-type application/pdf has no enum symbol.  

Both are mixed case, so mapping between is even more variable.

Most of the 50 Printer MIB enums do not have MIME type/sub-type names
registered. 

Is it ok if the printer vendors go register those 50 with IANA?  

Should the PWG re-register the 50 enum symbols (IANA calls them printer 
languages) as MIME type/sub-types, e.g., application/langSimpleText,
application/langPS, application/langPCL?

Alternatives for Model and Protocol specs:

	1. Both use Printer MIB enum symbols without the "lang" prefix (registered
by IANA as "Printer Languages")

	2. Both use MIME type/sub-type names (registered by IANA as "Media Types"). 

	3. Both use either.

ISSUE: If we use MIME type/sub-type names, is the 'application/' necessary, 
or could we just use the sub-type name?

The values of the "document-format" attribute are the "heart-land" of the
PWG.  We have to make sure that this attribute is interoperable between
implementations.  I suggest that whichever approach we use, that we
add an appendix which lists the current values with the proper case and
indicate that it is just a "snap shot" of current IANA registry.

Comments?

Tom