Subject: IPP> RE: Print by Reference

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 12:49:40 -0700

You don't throw the mechanism out. Printers are only capable of handling
certain types of jobs.
We have attributes that describe the job like pdl-required, or
desired-resolution, or duplexing or
finishing requirements. Just like these attributes, the URL "schemes"
that a particular print
server can support can also be discovered. Or, the client can just
submit and hope for the best.

The ability of a printer to do print-by-reference, and the types of
protocol scheme and/or
MIME-tags that it can support can be negotiated/discovered, like
attributes. Or the printer could
just decide not to support the print-by-reference attribute and return
an error.

IMHO, I think it would be a mistake to propose a new internet printing
protocol to be deployed in
late 1997 or 1998 that does not contain a document "pull" capability.

Randy