Subject: IPP> Comparison of JMP and IPP and some issues for each

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:30:16 PDT

I added the mapping of the IPP subsubmissionn protocol to the JMP
Job Monitoring MIB as an assignment and did that one first.

I've posted the comparison of the JMP Job Monitoring MIB (6/9/97, V0.82) with 
IPP 6/3/97 at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/jmp/protomap/
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        28160 Jun 16 23:28 ietf-ipp.doc
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      pwg        37229 Jun 16 23:24 ietf-ipp.pdf

There are several issues, some for IPP and some for JMP.
They are indicated in the NOTES column of the comparison.  I've also
included them in the e-mail message.  

The first column in the JMP object or attribute,
the second column in the page number in the JMP V0.82 jmp-mibv.pdf,
the third column is the IPP attribute 
and the fourth column is the issue.

1. jmGeneralNumberOfActiveJobs	57	queued-job-count	

IPP ISSUE: Should/does "queued-job-count" include pendingHeld or not?

I suggest that, like JMP, the attribute NOT include jobs in the 'pending-held'
state, since they are unlikely to be processed soon.  The purpose of the 
attribute should be to show how busy the Printer is, not how may jobs are
queued.  In fact a Printer that is processing a job should have a different 
count than a Printer that is idle.  So lets rename the IPP attribute to 
agree with JMP: "number-of-active-jobs" and define it to include jobs in the
'pending', 'processing', and 'processing-stopped' states (but not in the
'pending-held', 'canceled', 'aborted', and 'completed' states).

2. jmJobSetIndex	61	job-URI?	

The JMP agent MAY need to convert from a URI to a jmJobSetIndex.

JMP ISSUE: should we add a jobIdentifier attribute to the attribute table
that is the job submissio procotol format for a job identifer assigned by
the server or device that accepts jobs?

I suggest yes.

3. numberOfDocuments	39		

IPP ISSUE: should have read-only "number-of-documents" set by Printer.

4. fileName	39	document-URI	

JMP ISSUE: clarify that the fileName attribute could be a URI

5. There are three JMP attributes that have enums for which IPP has keywords.
While the mapping is one-to-one, should we also allow the JMP agent to 
return the Octets text representation?  The three attributes are:

finishing	41	finishings	

same values, but map IPP keywords to JMP enums.  Both can be MULTI-VALUED

JMP ISSUE: also allow Octets as supplement?

printQualityRequested	42	print-quality	

same values, but map IPP keywords to JMP enums

JMP ISSUE: also allow Octets as supplement?

printerResolutionRequested	42	printer-resolution	

same values, but map IPP keywords to JMP enums

JMP ISSUE: also allow Octets as supplement?

I suggest yes.  Also allow just the octets when the enum isn't known to the
agent.

6. timeSinceJobWasSubmittedToDevice	47	time-since-submission	

JMP ISSUE: Should timeSinceJobWasSubmittedToDevice be seconds or like IPP
milliseconds?

I suggest we use milliseconds, like IPP