Subject: IPP> Re: two reasons not to use vcard for fax recipient capabilities

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:03:37 PDT

At 06:50 PM 5/19/97 PDT, Richard Shockey wrote:

>It just struck me  ... what are the IPP folks doing about exchange of
>capablilities of "Internet Printers"? They must be establishing a session.
>Anyone know what they are doing?
>

In IPP you can get the capabilities of a printer before trying to send
something to it.  We are also considering a Validate operation in which you
send the attributes of an intended print job to the printer, but without
any print data, to check whether the combination of attributes would be
acceptable in a real print job.  We intend to use HTTP 1.1 as transfer
protocol (warts and all).

Your suspicions that IPP might become a better Internet fax protocol than
Internet Fax might indeed come true :-)

Carl-Uno Manros
IETF IPP WG 

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]