Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - UPDATE FOR STATUS CODE KEYWORDS IN THE MODEL DOCUMENT

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:42:32 -0600

Bob,

> 4.4.2.2 successful-attribute-ignored (IPP)
>  Is this really necessary, especially if the returned attributes indicate
>  which are unsupported.  This is a case of half-full versus half-empty.

I thought this was necessary since a Printer could implement the "should"
best-effort case and simple ignore some attributes that were not supported. 
It still prints, the printer is just trying to tell the client some possibly
interesting info.

> 
> 4.4.4.6 server-error-write-fault (IPP)
> 
> I would expect the client to block on a write and that it wouldn't
> clear until the server got enough space to write the data.

But there are cases where the Printer experiences a disk-full condition but
still has enough buffer space to return a response packet.  I wouldn't get
rid of it.

> 
> 4.4.4.7 server-error-too-many-documents-in-job (IPP)
> 
>  With the changes from last week where all Printers support PrintJob
>  (1 document per job) and some support CreateJob/SendJobData (1 or
>  more documents per job), this message isn't needed. The error
>  server-error-operation-not-implemented handles this problem instead.
> 

Is there a case where the Printer supports both Print-Job and
Create-Job/Send-Job-Data but for some reason has an implementation limit of
N documents per job?  It would be helpful to have this error code for that
case.  We have no way (nor do I propose) to query the printer to find out
how many multiple docs per job it supports.

Scott

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:35:37 -0700

Scott Isaacson wrote:

..snip..snip..

> how many multiple docs per job it supports.

I cannot imagine a case where "too many documents per job" would be
used. If
there are too many documents in a single job, chances are the spooler
(or whatever)
decided that the job was just too big to handle (disk full, resource
allocation error, whatever)
to handle the job. I don't think it has anything to do with documents,
IMHO.

Randy