Subject: IPP> MOD - document format question

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:27:26 -0600

In working on the Model document, I had several requests to come up with a
better format for all of Job Template attributes.

I used to have something like the following for each Job Template attribute:
------------------------------------------------------
1.0 xxx (syntax)
1.1 As a create request attribute: xxx (syntax, OPT/MAND/etc.)
1.2 As a Job object attribute: xxx (syntax, OPT/MAND/etc.)
1.3 As a Printer object attribute
1.3.1 Default Behavior
1.3.2 As a default value ttribute: xxx (syntax, OPT/MAND/etc.)
1.3.3 As a supported attribute : xxx-supported (OPT/MAND/etc.)
1.3.4 As an available attribute : xxx-available (syntax, OPT/MAND/etc.)
------------------------------------------------------

Now I propose something like: 
(WARNING: requires some non-proportional spaced font)

------------------------------------------------------
1.0 xxx

+----------------------+-------------------+-------------------------+
| Create Request       | JOB Object        | Printer Supported       |
| Attribute            | Attribute         | Attribute               |
+----------------------+-------------------+-------------------------+
| xxx                  | xxx               | xxx-supported           |
| syntax               | syntax            | syntax                  |
| OPT/MAND/etc.        | OPT/MAND/etc.     | OPT/MAND/etc.           |
+----------------------+-------------------+-------------------------+

+----------------------+-------------------+
| Printer Default      | Printer Available |
| Value Attribute      | Attribute         |
+----------------------+-------------------+
| xxx                  | xxx-available     |
| syntax               | syntax            |
| OPT/MAND/etc.        | OPT/MAND/etc.     |
+----------------------+-------------------+

Any comments or suggestions?
Scott

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 18:00:36 -0400 (EDT)

Scott,

If the boxed approach results in describing a single attribute in one
"row" in the plain text draft (as opposed to two rows in your example),
then perhaps the boxed approach might be an improvement over the existing
implementation.

If the boxed approach doesn't work, then how about a lean'n'mean tabular
approach, such as:

  1.0  xxx

      Description...

      Forms:

	Create request:	 xxx            (OPT/MAND/etc)
	Job object:	 xxx            (OPT/MAND/etc)
	Printer object:	 xxx            (OPT/MAND/etc)
	Default value:	 xxx            (OPT/MAND/etc)
	Supported:	 xxx-supported  (OPT/MAND/etc)
	Available:	 xxx-available  (OPT/MAND/etc)

Just a thought on alternatives here.

By the way, the fact that we have all these variations on attributes
is a bit scary and makes me wonder if we haven't gone over the top on
this part of the model.  ;-)

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Thu May 29 17:49 EDT 1997
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:27:26 -0600
From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> MOD - document format question

----- End Included Message -----