Subject: IPP> Re: Unsigned integer count for attribute name keywords andattribute values

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:32:05 -0600

>>> Robert Herriot <[email-masked]> 05/20 1:37 PM >>>

> Did we agree to one or two bytes for the length of attribute names?  I
> thought two, just in case we ever use Unicode rather than UTF-8 to
> encode attribute names.  We wouldn't want the attributes to then be
> limited to 127 characters.

I thought all lengths would be 2 or 4 bytes, never just 1.  I thought we
limited attribute names to be the same as keywords now:  US ASCII characters

(a-zA-Z), digits (0-9), hyphen (-) and underscore (_).   We all know the
consequences of not being able to internationalize these attribute names,
but why are you suggesting maybe someday worrying about UTF-8 for attribute
names?

Scott

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:26:03 -0700

> From [email-masked] Wed May 21 09:35:27 1997
> 
> 
> 

I'm not suggesting we support them in version one, but I am suggesting
that the protocol should not make them impossible for a future time
when a foreign site might want to add an attribute for a Printer
(i.e. print server) which uses a localized-name.  Admittedly, we haven't
dealt with the issue of how a client converts an attribute-name to a
localized phrase.  If we had a solution for that then we might
see no need for attribute names that are not ASCII.