Subject: Fwd: RE: IPP> MOD - UPDATE FOR STATUS CODE KEYWORDS IN THE M

From: Keith Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 18:43:29 -0400

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.  My responses inline as KC>>.

Keith

1) Is this really necessary, especially if the returned attributes indicate
 which are unsupported.  This is a case of half-full versus half-empty.

 > 4.4.2.2 successful-attribute-ignored (IPP)

KC>>  I agree since this can only now occur if an IPP application
KC>>  specifies an unimplemented attribute on a Get-Attributes or
KC>>  Get-Jobs operation in which case the application will check
KC>>  the values and see a value of "unsupported" for the
KC>>  unimplemented attributes.  Good catch.

2) I'm not sure if this is a useful error, or even likely to happen.

 >
 > 4.4.4.5 server-error-printer-error (IPP)
 >
 > A printer error, such as a paper jam, occurs while the IPP Printer
 > processes a Print-Job or Send-Data operation.  The response shall contain
 > the Job Status with the specific error and should contain a Message
 > describing the error.  An IPP application should check the Job Status
 > in the response for the specific error.

KC>>  This can only occur if an IPP Printer does not spool.  I believe
KC>>  this is a supported configuration.  If this status code
KC>>  is overkill for IPP 1.0, then let's remove it.

3) I would expect the client to block on a write and that it wouldn't
 clear until the server got enough space to write the data.

 >
 > 4.4.4.6 server-error-write-fault (IPP)
 >
 > A write error, such as a memory overflow (i.e. the document data
 > exceeds the memory of the Printer) or a disk full condition, occurs
 > while the IPP Printer processes a Print-Job or Send-Data operation.

KC>> Again, this is most likely to occur on an IPP Printer that does
KC>> not spool and the client times out.  If this status is overkill,
KC>> for IPP 1.0 let's remove it.

4) With the changes from last week where all Printers support PrintJob
 (1 document per job) and some support CreateJob/SendJobData (1 or
 more documents per job), this message isn't needed. The error
 server-error-operation-not-implemented handles this problem instead.

 >
 > 4.4.4.7 server-error-too-many-documents-in-job (IPP)
 >

KC>>  I agree.  Good catch.