Subject: Re: IPP>MOD reconsideration of model decision

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 18:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

Bob,

> So we are stuck if we want to support today's technology before IPP
> output devices arrive.

If existing print drivers are considered "today's technology", then
today's technology won't know anything about IPP, correct?

Perhaps I'm missing something, then.  Does anyone think that IPP is
being designed such that today's print drivers can submit jobs to
an IPP Printer?

Maybe that's where I'm getting confused.  I'm making the assumption
that to drive an IPP Printer, you need an IPP-aware print driver.
Is this assumption incorrect?

	...jay

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:04:10 PDT

>being designed such that today's print drivers can submit jobs to

I had assumed so, provided that you put a new piece of software in between
the old print driver and the protocol stub. 

New "IPP-aware" drivers can later replace that combination with an IPP-driver.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]