Subject: IPP> ADM - Proposal for revised IETF Charter

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:32:09 PDT

I had undertaken to produce a draft for a revised charter text for the IETF.

Here it is. I would like to have your comments on this in tomorrows
PWG IPP phone conference, so we can pass it on to the IETF shortly afterwards.
You can obviously also send comments to the IPP DL.

Carl-Uno

---

Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) Charter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to this official charter maintained by the IETF Secretariat,
there is additional information about this working group on the Web at:

   * Additional Internet Printing Protocol Page: http://www.pwg.org/ipp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chair(s)

   * Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
   * Steve Zilles <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):

   * Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
   * Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

Area Advisor

   * Keith Moore <[email-masked]>

Mailing List Information

   * General Discussion:[email-masked]
   * To Subscribe: [email-masked]
   * Archive: ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/

Description of Working Group

There is currently no universal standard for printing. Several protocols
are in use, but each has limited applicability and none can be considered
the prevalent one. This means that printer vendors have to implement and
support a number of different protocols and protocol variants. There is a
need to define a protocol which can cover the most common situations for
printing on the Internet.

The goal of this working group is to develop requirements for Internet
Printing and to describe a model and semantics for Internet Printing.

The further goal is to define a new application level Internet Printing
Protocol for the following core functions:

- for a user to find out about a printer's capabilities - for a user to
submit print jobs to a printer - for a user to find out the status of a
printer or a print job - for a user to cancel a previously submitted job

The Internet Print Protocol is a client-server type protocol which should
allow the server side to be either a separate print server or a printer
with embedded networking capabilities. The focus of this effort is
optimized for printers, but might be applied to other output devices. These
are outside the scope of this working group.

The working group will also define a set of directory attributes that can
be used to ease finding printers on the network.

The Internet Print Protocol will include mechanisms to ensure adequate
security protection for materials to be printed, including at a minimum
mechanisms for mutual authentication of client and server and mechanisms to
protect the confidentiality of communications between client and server.

Finally, the IPP working group will produce recommendations for
interoperation of LPR clients with IPP servers, and IPP clients with LPR
servers. These recommendations will include instructions for both the
translation of the LPR protocol onto IPP and the translation of the IPP
protocol onto LPR. However, there is no expectation to provide new IPP
features to LPR clients, nor is there an explicit requirement to translate
LPR extensions to IPP, beyond those features available in the 4.2BSD UNIX
implementation of LPR, and which are still useful today.

Subjects currently out of scope for this working group are:

- protection of intellectual property rights - fax input - scanning

The working group shall strive to coordinate its activities with other
printing-related standards bodies, without the need to be strictly bound by
their standards definitions. These groups are:

- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 18/WG 4 on Document Printing Application (ISO/IEC 10175
parts 1 - 3) - The Object Management Group (OMG) on OMG Printing Facility
(in development) - IEEE (POSIX System Administration - Part 4: Printing
Interfaces) - X/Open (Printing Systems Interoperabilty Specification) - The
Printer Working Group

Goals and Milestones

Done - Mar 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol: Requirements and Scenarios as an
     Internet-Draft.
Done - Mar 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics as an
     Internet-Draft.
Done - Mar 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Directory Schema as an
     Internet-Draft.
Done - Apr 97
     Review of specifications in IETF meeting in Memphis, TN, USA
Jun 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Security as an Internet-Draft.
Jun 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Encoding of Operations as an 
     Internet-Draft.
Jun 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Profile for running IPP over 
     HTTP 1.1 as an Internet-Draft.
Jul 97
     Submit revised Internet-Drafts for all previously mentioned documents.
Jul 97
     Produce At least 2 implemented prototypes.
Jul 97
     Submit Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Profile for running IPP over 
     HTTP 1.1 as an Internet-Draft.
Jul 97
     Submit Mappings between IPP and RFC 1179 as an Internet-Draft.
Jul 97
     Produce at least 2 implemented prototypes.
Aug 97
     Review of all Internet-Drafts in Munich meeting of the IETF.
Sep 97
     Submit Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol I-D and
     Mappings between IPP and RFC 1179 I-D to IESG for publication as 
     Informational RFCs.
Sep 97
     Submit all other I-Ds to the IESG for consideration as Proposed
     Standards.

Current Internet-Drafts

   * Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol (97837 bytes)
   * Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics (226320 bytes)
   * Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Directory Schema (29564 bytes)

No Request for Comments

----

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]