Subject: IPP> PRO - About using HTTP 1.1

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:15:59 PDT

Hi,

I think that we are wasting our time discussing whether to use a complete
HTTP 1.1 server or a special subset of HTTP for IPP.

Our friends at Agranat has already produced compact code for embedding in
things like printers, that does not take up more than some 20 - 40 K of
memory.  You can check for yourself at:

	http://www.agranat.com/emweb_size.html

Hence, with HTTP code that small it does not seem that implementing a full
HTTP server embedded in a printer is serious problem.  I think that the
only important thing we really need to care about is whether any of the
full HTTP 1.1 server functionality could get in the way when running IPP
over it.

Comments?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]