Subject: Re: IPP>MOD - updated conformance paper - defaults

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:10:33 -0400

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

Bob Herriot wrote:

As my previous email stated, I disagree with the notion that the first
value is the default. This may simplify things, but it doesn't solve
the integer range case. This rule may be a good fallback rule for the
case where there is not an explicit default, but I think we need a
mechanism for defining default values. I have suggested that a naming
convention, such as "default-XXX" or "XXX-default" be used as the
default for "XXX". Or perhaps printer attribute XXX contains the default value
for job attribute XXX and the printer attribute "XXX-supported" contains
the supported values.

For attributes exressed as a range, for example, priority, what about
putting the default value first, followed by the range? For example,

priority : 1, (1:100)

That is, the default priority is 1, but allowable
values are in the range 1 to 100.

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:58:03 -0700

> From [email-masked] Wed Apr 23 13:11:06 1997
> 
> Bob Herriot wrote:
> 

This complicates the syntax, much as tags did.  I am trying to keep
the values simple.