Subject: IPP> MOD - RE: The Universal Print Driver

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 09:57:04 -0700

At 09:00 PM 4/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>During the Model subgroup telecon today, the participants briefly
>touched on the concept of the "Universal Print Driver".
>
>Unanimous consensus was quickly reached whereby the group believes
>print driver technology should move in a direction that is both simpler
>and more powerful in terms of integration and feature support.
>

I hate to be a spoilsport, but I thought we had agreed to stay off this 
subject at present. I believe like many of you that this is a good and
interesting subject for the PWG to tackle.

However, from the IETF IPP point of view tackling this problem now:

1) Would mean that we are trying to extend our charter

2) Considering that we are already behind shedule and that this has shown 
   to be a rathole before, and might require substantial time and effort 
   to resolve, meaning that we would slow down progress even further on 
   what is in our charter

The only argument that I am somewhat responsive to, is that it might 
influence our model design.  If that is really true, I would prefer to
limit our discussions on this subject to things that we might need to 
think about in order to make generic print drivers possible in the
future - rather then trying to tackle the problem in its full width.

If a small group of people want to start discussing this subject among
themselves, over a private DL, they can do that and get back to the
IPP group when they believe that they have a working solution, I have
no problem with that, but I resist having IPP resources and IPP DL 
bandwidth spent on this subject right now.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 15:44:04 -0400 (EDT)

Carl-Uno,

> interesting subject for the PWG to tackle.

Oops, sorry if this was expressly precluded from the IPP domain.  We must
have forgotten about that previous declaration.  (Note that I posted the
original message at the request of the Model telecon participants.)

> bandwidth spent on this subject right now.

I couldn't agree with you more, Carl-Uno.  A separate DL should be
setup for this particular conversation.  And, given the originating
interest was spawned by the IPP Model subgroup, chances are those same
folks would likely monitor both the new and IPP lists; that way the
info garnered from the Universal Print Driver list would probably
affect (infect?) the IPP Model subgroup discussions.

Does anyone have an objection to the PWG starting a new project titled
the "Universal Print Driver" (UPD)?  I hope we can make a quick decision
about this, as I am quite anxious to reply to Randy's excellent comments.

	...jay

---

From: "gregory leclair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 97 22:54:47 PDT

Pardon me for chiming in. One of the topics for the 1394 group is a common image
format. This is in conjunction with a bi-directional interface should let us 
query the device at print time and adjust for some device variation ( read as 
features ). A common driver and format may not provide the best results, rather,
it should always produce results.

This could be a useful discussion group for PWG.

Greg LeClair
1394 Printer Working Group

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________

Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - RE: The Universal Print Driver
Author:  JK Martin <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    4/27/97 11:57 AM

Carl-Uno,

     

 ...jay