Subject: Re: IPP> ADM - Requirements for TXT format documentation

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:33:39 -0400

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

If it would increase participation (or at least make sure there is no barrier
to participation) I think
IBM would be willing to at least set up an 800 number for some percentage of
the calls.
---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 04/16/97 12:26
PM ---------------------------

        don @ lexmark.com
        04/15/97 10:44 AM

To: Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM
cc: ipp @ pwg.org@internet
Subject: Re: IPP> ADM - Requirements for TXT format documentation

We discussed this before and came to the conclusion
that the only fair method was for participants in the conference
calls to pick up their share of the cost.  Participants in the
development of IETF standards are expected to pay their
own way to attend WG meetings, the IETF Plenary, etc.
and conference calls are just one of those expenses.

That said, if someone wants to start setting up the conference
calls and provide an 800 number for participants then great!

Don

To: ipp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Don Wright)
From: rdebry%us.ibm.com @ interlock.lexmark.com (Roger K Debry) @ SMTP
Date: 04/15/97 11:59:13 AM
Subject: IPP> ADM - Requirements for TXT format documentation

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

An additional item we discussed previously, but have not implemented, was to
arrange
to have an 800 number available for the IPP calls.  At least one person has
expressed
an inability to participate in these calls because of the costs.

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 04/15/97 09:53
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        04/13/97 02:21 PM

To: ipp @ pwg.org@internet
cc:
Subject: IPP> ADM - Requirements for TXT format documentation

Hi,

one of the comments I got from our Area Directors during the meeting last
week was that we are still not following the intent from the IETF to have a
fully open dialogue of what is happening in the project.

There are two things that we need to improve on right away to put this right:

1) We should try to make our utmost to always provide a TXT version of
agendas, minutes, contributions and drafts.  This should also include what
we show on the Web server. Although it is not mandatory to have a Web
server for the project, it is expected that people can download documents
in TXT format if you have one.  I have given Jeff instructions to that
effect, so that our already existing FTP documents in TXT format are
included.  For our phone conferences etc. we will still need to keep the
PDF document formats as well.

2) We were critizised for not keeping people in the IETF informed about our
progress (there seems to be a bit of question mark here about how much you
are supposed to show before you are a WG, but now that we are one there are
no doubts).  We need to start publishing our intermediate drafts of the
formal documents, in TXT format, over the formal IETF Internet-Draft
library.  We also need to bring all our I-D documents up to a point where
the content is reasonably complete and consistent, even if they are still
under discussion. It seems that we still have some general editorial work
to do here.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:41:08 -0400

>> We discussed this before and came to the conclusion that the only
>> fair method was for participants in the conference calls to pick up
>> their share of the cost.  Participants in the development of IETF
>> standards are expected to pay their own way to attend WG meetings,
>> the IETF Plenary, etc.  and conference calls are just one of those
>> expenses.

  Yes, and my presence in Memphis attests to our willingness to
  support the effort to that extent.  However, most work of most
  working groups has been by email - a fixed cost we all pay anyway,
  so it is effectivly free.

>> At least one person has expressed an inability to participate in
>> these calls because of the costs.

  I just checked some prices, and participating in even the main
  weekly call and one sub-group call per week will run my company over
  $500/month.  I understand that doesn't seem like much to all you
  corporate giants, but it is a high hurdle for us (too high).

  I've already sent a note to the working group co-chairs expressing
  the willingness of myself and my company to participate and provide
  our HTTP experience and expertise as long as that is valuable to the
  group.  I'll watch agendas for the calls, and if it looks as though
  I can contribute something valuable I may join you, but most of our
  participation will be by mail or at meetings we would be attending
  anyway.

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/