Subject: IPP> ADM - Revised text for press release

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:55:44 PDT

Below follows my revised and shortened text part for the Hisory part of the
press release. As agreed last Wednesday, I have now started the history
with the first PWG IPP meeting.  FYI, Microsoft also asked to have the
mentioning on their NT work removed as this is not yet officially announced.

---

History of IPP

The Printer Working Group (PWG), a group of experts with representation from 
printer and print server vendors, started the IPP project in November 1996, 
based on initial contributions from IBM, Novell and Xerox.  
The PWG earlier developed the SNMP Printer MIB and is currently working on a 
Job Monitoring MIB, both are IETF projects.  
Representatives from Adobe, IBM, Lexmark, Novell, Sun, and Xerox act as
chairs, 
authors, and editors for the IPP project.  

A birds-of-a-feather (BOF) session for IPP was held at the December 1996
meeting 
of the IETF which confirmed widespread interest in developing a printing
protocol for the Internet. On March 6, 1997 the IESG officially chartered
the new Working Group, which has already submitted a first set of
Internet-Drafts 
on requirements, model and semantics, directory schema, security, and
protocol. 

The first formal meeting of the IPP Working Group was held on Tuesday
April 8th at the 38th IETF meeting in Memphis, TN.  It is expected that the
Working Group will submit a series of IPP Request For Comment (RFC) documents 
to the IESG later this year for ratification as Proposed Standards.

------

I had also asked about companies that wanted their names associated with
the press release. This is my list so far:

Adobe
IBM
Lexmark
Microsoft
Novell
Osicom/DPI
SDSU/Start Tech
Sun
Underscore
QMS
Xerox

Still seems rather short, I expect that there are a few more...

Regards,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]