Subject: IPP> PWG>IPP - Directory

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:00:37 -0400

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

FYI .....

             Network Briefing  March 21, 1997
             THIS IS THE FULL TEXT: COPYRIGHT 1997 APT Data Services
             Java is gradually getting the kind of support it needs if it is
       to become a fully-fledged participant in enterprise systems, and Java
       creator Sun Microsystems Inc is getting plenty of help from its
       industry partners to fill in the blanks.
             Sun has announced a JNDI Java Naming and Directory Interface
       specification which will enable developers to create Java
       applications with a unified way of accessing multiple naming and
       directory services across networks.  It includes support for Novell
       Inc' s NDS NetWare Directory Services, Sun' s NIS naming service, DNS
       Domain Naming Service and the standard LDAP Light Directory Access
       Protocol.
             The JNDI specification has been developed by Sun,
       Hewlett-Packard Co, IBM Corp, Netscape Communications Corp and
       Novell.  Each will develop its own implementation once the
       specification, currently for review at http://java.sun.com, has been
       finalised.  A final version is due next quarter.
             First out of the shoot claiming support is Novell, saying it
       will make an early version of an JNDI implementation providing access
       to NDS available to developers later this month.  In addition to
       Novell's Internet-enabled version of NetWare - IntranetWare - NDS
       runs on Solaris, NT and other Unixes and is supported by the likes of
       HP, SCO and Microsoft.  JavaSoft says it will make a reference
       version of the specification available in the third quarter.