Subject: IPP> Minutes from the IPP Working Group Meeting held at IETF38

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 97 16:15:07 EDT

Attached are the meeting minutes from the IPP working group
meeting held in Memphis at the 38th IETF.  I have also 
placed them on the ftp server at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/IETF38-IPP-WG-Meeting.txt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/IETF38-IPP-WG-Meeting.pdf

Don

-----------------------------------
Internet Printing Protocol Working Group
at the 38th IETF

These minutes were recorded by Don Wright.

The meeting was called to order by Carl-Uno Manros at 9:03 
AM CST on April 8th at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis 
Tennessee.

Planned agenda:

1) Introduction of WG Charter and Internet-drafts
2) Protocol
3) Security
4) Requirements
5) Model and Semantics

CHARTER:

Carl-Uno reviewed the WG charter including the lists of:
 - Advisor, Chairs, Editors
 - Current Drafts

The goals and background information of the charter were 
then reviewed.   (Carl-Uno's charts will be available as a 
part of the proceedings)  A question was asked as to what 
directory  methods would be used.  The current plan is to 
define the directory schema so as to be directory neutral 
and to be optional.  Since the original IPP BOF at the last 
IETF meeting, significant security requirements have been 
added to the charter.  A question was raised as to how the 
directory information would keep up to date when used in a 
cached environment.  Since IPP is not defining the directory 
access method only the schema, IPP will not be addressing 
the area of caching of directory information.  Many people 
felt that the directory work should be a milestone after the 
protocol is done; however there were others concerned that 
while the actual document could be done later, it needed to 
be considered while working on the model.  The WG will 
produce recommendations for inter-operation between IPP 
clients/servers and LPD clients/servers.

Charter Milestones:

March 97: Internet Drafts: requirements, model, protocol,
           and directory schema
May 97: Several implemented prototypes
August:  Requirements I-D to IESG as informational RFC
         Mapping IPP/LPR mapping as informational RFC
         Other documents submitted as RFCs

Contact Information:

Discussion list is [email-masked].  
To subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive is ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp
Web Server is http://www.pwg.org/ipp/

A long discussion on what should be covered within the 
directory schema.  One of the major potential problems 
identified was how to include access control as a part of 
the information available through the directory.  The scope 
of IPP at this time does not cover administrative functions 
like job accounting.

PROTOCOL:

Steve Zilles presented an outline of the general direction 
the group is going in the area of "protocol."  (Steve's 
charts will be a part of the proceedings.)  A concern was 
raised that if multiple, alternative ways are defined to do 
something, we will fail.  This comment was directed at the 
current direction to perhaps support Application/IPP and 
Multipart/FormData as well as support both HTPP/1.1 and some 
new IPP TBD.  The current protocol issues Steve identified 
are:

1) Status inquiries during data transmission
 - posting all the data at once 
           --- versus---
 - create job, send data
2) What must the server implement?
 - full HTTP/1.1
 - IPP subset of HTTP/1.1 (non-caching, origin server)
 - TBD protocol

Questions:
 - Can we really subset HTTP/1.1?
 - Work level difference between creating a new protocol
        versus subsetting?
 - Harald Alvestrand.  presented a concept of layering
        and a HTTP/HTML presentation of data to be send via
        or received from an IPP protocol.

Interoperability issues with potentially two protocols and 
syntaxes are:

1) One protocol, two syntaxes
 - server must implement both
2) Two separate protocol
 - formdata over HTTP
 - application/ipp over tbd
 - server may implement either
3) Does the request format determine the response format?
4) How are the operations coded?
 - in the formatted data
 - in the protocol header
 - in the URL that is the target.

SECURITY:

Carl-Uno presented the work being done on security for IPP.  
(These charts will be available in the proceedings.)  The 
type of attacks that could be deployed against IPP were 
described including masquerading, eavesdropping, tampering, 
replaying, denial of service, document malicious content 
code (embedded programs in the print job), liability and 
provability of service.  All these were mapped against 
security services like client authentication, server 
authentication, data confidentiality, data integrity, non-
repudiation and timestamping/nonces.  There were some areas 
of the chart that need to be updated with additional 
"yes"es.  "Signing" was identified as something that has 
been very useful as a combination of authentication and 
integrity.

The group has looked at a number of security services being 
investigated including HTTP/1.1 (Digest Authentication -- 
RFC 2069), SSL(V2), SSL(V3) and LDAP.  Additional security 
service suggested to be examined include sHTTP, SMIME and 
PGP.

Simple security service (like LPD user name) would probably 
not be appropriate for a standards track document (Keith 
Moore.)  Adequate security must be defined but the security 
level may be negotiated between the client and the server.

Harald A: Decisions on security should be made by the 
working group not by the Area Directors but having no 
security will probably be a problem.

MODEL DOCUMENT:

Harald A. expressed his opinion that while the model 
document is very large, it seems incomplete.  He had a 
several comments and will document them in detail to the 
distribution list.

Due to a lack of time, the Requirements document was not 
discussed.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:35AM CST.

-----------------------------------

*************************************************************
* Don Wright ([email-masked])        Lexmark International *
* Manager                               Strategic Alliances *
* 740 New Circle Rd                     Phone: 606-232-4808 *
* Lexington, KY  40511                    Fax: 606-232-6740 *
*************************************************************