Subject: IPP> ADM - Unigram about IPP

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:30:59 PDT

FYI,

The following text from Unigram has recently been distributed.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

----

UG637-06 NET PRINTING STANDARD DUE TO AIR 
         
That IPP Internet Printing Protocol for managing print jobs and 
accessing print resources across TCP/IP networks is supposed to 
get an airing in the next couple of weeks once its supporters get 
their marketing ducks in a row. Novell Inc's already started 
talking-up its involvement, and the rest of the gang is none too 
pleased about its breach of their code of silence. The protocol, 
which supposedly combines IBM Corp's HyperText Printing Protocol 
and Novell's LDAP Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, is being 
developed and supported by about a dozen companies, including 
Xerox Corp, IBM, Novell, Sun Microsystems Inc, Microsoft Corp and 
Netscape Communications Corp. Its aim is to define simple 
printing instructions, like how to print a page, inquire on the 
status of a print job, or how to delete an item from the printer 
queue. It's already being considered for use as a standard by the 
IETF Internet Engineering Taskforce Force. Using it, companies 
could also set up internet fax services where print jobs could be 
sent to Universal Resource Locators over the Internet at a 
fraction of today's fax rates. More advanced printing features, 
like pausing or redirecting print jobs would follow. The notion 
is to have IPP supported on web browsers by year-end as a feature 
of the HTTP HyperText Transfer Protocol. IBM's claiming the 
majority of the work is its own.

---

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]