Subject: IPP> SEC - Possible Security Solotions for IPP

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 03:57:22 PDT

One subject that I tried to collect more information about last week was
the options for IPP security.  Here are some first hints for the SEC group
to follow up on:

The IPSEC WG (IP Security Protocol) is mainly working on lower layer
security which we may want to assume is present.

The TSL WG (Transport Layer Security) seems to be the IETF version of SSL
and is approaching finalization.

A new project, which I have not yet been able to place in WG is called SASL
(Simple Authentication and Security Layer).  The latter was recommended by
Harald for us to take a look at. An I-D can be be found at:

	http://www.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-myers-auth-sasl-08.txt

It seems that S-MIME (Secure MIME) might never happen in the IETF due to
dependency on some RSA proporietary components.

Einar Stefferud suggested looking at PGP-MIME as an alternative. I have not
yet found a good reference for the latter.

The search continues.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:46:21 -0400

>>>>> "CM" == Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]> writes:

CM> One subject that I tried to collect more information about last week was
CM> the options for IPP security.  Here are some first hints for the SEC group
CM> to follow up on:
CM> ...
CM> The search continues.

  Another one to add to the list is Secure HTTP, which is a message
  based encapsulation of HTTP (as opposed to SSL/TLS, which protects
  the entire transport connection).

  See:
    ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-wts-shttp-04.txt

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/