Subject: Re: IPP> Re: Protocol Definition

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:08:03 -0400 (EDT)

Keith,

> MIB variables have text names in addition to OIDs.  When the same
> variable appears in both IPP and some printer MIB, why not just use
> the text form of the variable name in IPP?

Excellent idea.  However, would you agree that only the "base" or
"simple" component of the name should be used, and not the fully
qualified name?

For example, the Printer MIB has an object that describes the type
of a given input tray.  The fully qualified name is (as reported by
the CMU public domain software component "snmpwalk"):

  printmib.prtInput.prtInputTable.prtInputEntry.prtInputType

In this case, the name used in IPP would be simply "prtInputType".

Does this work for you?

	...jay

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 23:04:41 -0400

> "simple" component of the name should be used, and not the fully

Offhand, it seems like there might be some times that you need more
than one component.  But I see no reason to use any more components
than necessary to fully specify the variable.

Keith