Subject: IPP> Do it all at once? Or do it in incremental steps?

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:28:35 -0500 (EST)

Patrick Powell wrote (as part of the "ADM - IPP Charter and Slot in Memphis"):

> In addition,  I think that the scope of the IPP
> protocol discussions and model is too limited - better to do it
> all at once rather than to have SNMP/SNMP II all over again.

Hmmm...  That's an interesting position, the idea that we must do it
ALL at one time, rather than take the problem apart in pieces and try
to deliver solutions in incremental steps.

All at once would be *nice*...but the original IPP proponents fostered
the position that "whatever it is, it must be done by mid-1997".

It is highly unlikely that an all-at-once solution can be completed
in less than 6 months.  We're talking about PRINTING here, and not
the quasi Turing Machine of SNMP.

	...jay

PS:  It would be nice if folks changed their Subject: lines for the
     various threads that have been spawned from the original thread
     of "ADM - IPP Charter and Slot in Memphis".  Doing so will make
     it easier to follow these individual threads in the future.

---

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:17:50 -0500 (EST)

I am posting this message from Patrick Powell as he has requested.

	...jay

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 10 17:21 EST 1997
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Patrick Powell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  IPP> Do it all at once?  Or do it in incremental steps?

<personal and private, communication>

Jay,  if I got funding,  I could turn out a prototype in 6
months,  gateway to LPD implementation.  I have done 3 Unix based
spoolers,  and have most of the code for printing, etc., already done.

I do not see the implementation timetable as a problem.

Patrick
..

----- End Included Message -----

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Mon Mar 10 17:41 EST 1997
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:40:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Patrick Powell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  IPP> Re: ADM - IPP Charter and Slot in Memphis

Jay,  could you please post my mail to the net - I hit the 'send'
key without keeping a copy...

Patrick

----- End Included Message -----