Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - 3/21 call [and request attributes by file-typ

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:03:44 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 03/21/97 07:59
AM ---------------------------

For those of us that were not on the telecon recently,
Bob had a proposal to remove the file-type adornment and to
allow the requester to specify a document-format as an input parameter
to the Get Attributes operation on a Printer and the Printer would return
only the attributes and values that apply to such a document-format.

If the requester left out the document-format, the Printer would supply
its default document format as the implicit input parameter to filter out
attributes and values that don't apply.

This sounded to me like a real simplification and what real users and
client software needed, since the client software know what document
format it is capable of producing and isn't interested in attributes
and values that apply to other document formats.

For a printer that only can consume a single document format, this new
idea means that there is NO IMPLEMENTATION BURDER on the implementation
for this

RKD> Doesn't it also simplify the case where the attribute's might be the same
for
RKD> all document formats supported on that Printer?

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:36:39 PST

Yes, to Roger's question (that removing file-type as an adornment and
adding an input parameter to Get Attributes that specifies the 
document-format job template being requested does) also simplifies a printer
that supports multiple document formats when all attributes and values
apply to all document formats.

Tom

>RKD> all document formats supported on that Printer?

Yes, it does.