Subject: Re: IPP>MOD Specifiying locale for a response -Reply

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:48:26 -0700

Harry makes some very good points:

>>> Harry Lewis <[email-masked]> 03/19/97 07:59am >>>
> We have to remember, the primary purpose of a printer is to print. We
> want robust management also, but not at the expense of storing
>  translations of long, human readable strings, for events and error
>  conditions.

SAI> This is a huge concern!  We can not put the burden on every
SAI> instance of an IPP Printer to support a SET of translated strings
SAI> for every text string that it is capable of sending out.

> A pragmatic approach, which I believe is common today, is to translate
> terse "OpPanel" messages. These translations may also be used in
> remote management. These are usually brief strings and a limited set.
> More lengthy and/or detailed diagnostic responses are typically
> "coded" or English only.

SAI> Is there a small, well defined set of languages which virtually
SAI>  all printer vendors support which would satisfy the IETF?  Again,
SAI> these are OpPanel messages and not arbitrary printer state
SAI> reasons strings or location text strings.

SAI> All of this means that we have to come up with some standard
SAI> language identifiers.  Is there a standard some place where these
SAI> are defined?  Can we leverage that standard?  I do agree that
SAI> the client ought to be able to ask for a certain language.  The
SAI> Printer ought to be able to respond with an identifier identifying
SAI> the default language (what gets returned if the the Printer cant
SAI> satisfy the client request.  So what is the standard for these
SAI> identifiers???

Scott