Subject: IPP> RESEND: How should a PDF document be indicated in the Printer MIB, Job Monitoring MIB and IPP?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:10:39 PST

I meant to say that "PDF" is part of PostScript level 3, not IPP a part
of PostScript level 3.

Also langPS(6), not langPD(6).

Sorry,
Tom

>Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
>X-Sender: hastings@zazen
>Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:31:03 PST
>To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
>Subject: PMP> How should a PDF document be indicated in the Printer MIB, Job
>  Monitoring MIB and IPP?
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>Currently there is no enum registered for a PDF document-format for use
>in the Printer MIB, the Job Monitoring MIB, and IPP.
>
>How should a PDF document be indicated in the Printer MIB, Job Monitoring
>MIB and IPP?
>
>IPP is part of PostScript level 3, I understand, so that the PostScript
 PDF [I meant to say - TNH]
>enum langPD(6) with a level of "3" in prtInterpreterLangLevel in the
      langPS(6) [I meant to say - TNH]
>Printer MIB could indicate a Printer that is capabile of consuming a PDF
>file.  But what about the Job Monitoring MIB where we don't have level
>and IPP where we don't have level?
>
>Also it seems that a Printer might be able to consume PDF, but not any
>PostScript level 3.  Finally, in a document repository, it would be useful
>to know that a document is a PDF file, so that a PDF reader can be used
>to image it.
>
>We've discussed at several Printer Working Group meetings the idea of
>registering combinations of language family and level in order to give them
>distinct enums.  So we could register PS1, PS2, PS3, and PDF.  Also PCL5e,
>PCL5, and PCL4 as separate enums for use when a particular level is important.
>And we could keep the current langPCL(3) and langPS(6) for use when level
>is not important, or when the level is specified by other attributes,
>such as in the Printer MIB.
>
>The advantage of keeping the family separate from the level, is that an old
>application would still have a clue that a new level of document is really
>an upwards compatible level with the enum that it understands, where as if
>we register a new enum for each level, the old application will have no clue
>that the document is PostScript.
>
>For IPP, we might have a string, in which the family and level are syntactially
>distinguished, so that an old application could separate the family from
>the level.
>
>In the Job Monitoring MIB we have the Printer MIB enum.  But we might
>change to the text string that has both family and level, if that is the
>way that IPP goes.  Then we wouldn't need to register the different levels
>of PostScript and PCL.
>
>However, we may still want to register a PDF enum, since it is such a 
>common document format these days.
>
>We need some help here from Adobe and HP on what is the best course to 
>follow for the Printer MIB, Job Monitoring MIB, and IPP.
>
>I'd like to see this issue come up in the PWG agenda, since it affect 
>all three PWG progjects, if we can't resolve this via e-mail.
>
>Thanks,
>Tom
>
>
>See the current 1.5 or 1.6 IPP Model and Semantics.
>
>Here is the extracted text from that:
>
>5.2.7.1 document-format (type2Enumformat)
>This job attribute identifies the document format of this document, and may
>be a per-document attribute.
>
>This printer attribute indicates default value. It also indicates the values
>of the attribute supported by this printer and the states of readiness for
>each value. One possible supported and default value is "auto-sense".
>
>The following standard values have been reviewed with the Printer Working
>Group and are registered with IANA as part of the IETF Printer MIB project.
>The token value assigned by the PWG starts with the four letters: "lang", in
>order to follow SNMP ASN.1 rules that all enum symbols shall start with a
>lower case letter.  The token values in IPP shall be the same as the IANA
>token values, with the "lang" removed.  The MIB (integer) value is included
>here for reference only, the MIB value shall not be used in IPP;  the token
>value shall be used instead:
>
>Token Value	MIB value	Description
>
>other	1	
>
>PCL	3	PCL.  Starting with PCL version 5, HP-GL/2 is included as part of the
>PCL language.  PCL and HP-GL/2 are registered trademarks of Hewlett-Packard
>Company.
>
>HPGL	4	Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language.  HP-GL is a registered trademark
>of Hewlett-Packard Company.
>
>PJL	5	Peripheral Job Language.  Appears in the data stream between data
>intended for a page description language.  Hewlett-Packard Co.  
>
>PS	6	PostScript Language (tm) Postscript - a trademark of Adobe Systems
>Incorporated which may be registered in certain jurisdictions
>
>IPDS	7	Intelligent Printer Data Stream Bi-directional print data stream for
>documents consisting of data objects (text, image, graphics, bar codes),
>resources (fonts, overlays) and page, form and finishing instructions.
>Facilitates system level device control, document tracking and error
>recovery throughout the print process.  Pennant Systems, IBM 
>
>PPDS	8	IBM Personal Printer Data Stream.  Originally called IBM ASCII, the
>name was changed to PPDS when the Laser Printer was introduced in 1989.
>Lexmark International, Inc.
>
>EscapeP	9	Epson Corp.
>
>Epson	10	
>
>DDIF	11	Digital Document Interchange Format Digital Equipment Corp., Maynard MA
>
>Interpress	12	Xerox Corp.
>
>ISO6429	13	ISO 6429.  Control functions for Coded Character Sets (has ASCII
>control characters, plus additional controls for character imaging devices.)
>ISO Standard, Geneva, Switzerland
>
>LineData	14	line-data: Lines of data as separate ASCII or EBCDIC records and
>containing no control functions (no CR, LF, HT, FF, etc.).  For use with
>traditional line printers.  May use CR and/or LF to delimit lines, instead
>of records.  See ISO 10175 Document Printing Application (DPA) ISO standard,
>Geneva, Switzerland
>
>MODCA	15	Mixed Object Document Content Architecture Definitions that allow
>the composition, interchange, and presentation of final form documents as a
>collection of data objects (text, image, graphics, bar codes), resources
>(fonts, overlays) and page, form and finishing instructions.  Pennant
>Systems, IBM
>
>REGIS	16	Remote Graphics Instruction Set, Digital Equipment Corp., Maynard MA
>
>SCS	17	SNA Character String Bi-directional print data stream for SNA LU-1
>mode of communications IBM
>
>SPDL	18	ISO 10180 Standard Page Description Language ISO Standard
>
>TEK4014	19	Tektronix Corp.
>
>PDS	20	
>
>IGP	21	Printronix Corp.
>
>CodeV	22	Magnum Code-V, Image and printer control language used to control
>impact/dot- matrix printers.  QMS, Inc., Mobile AL
>
>DSCDSE	23	DSC-DSE: Data Stream Compatible and Emulation Bi-directional print
>data stream for non-SNA (DSC) and SNA LU-3 3270 controller (DSE)
>communications IBM
>
>WPS	24	Windows Printing System, Resource based command/data stream used by
>Microsoft At Work Peripherals.  Developed by the Microsoft Corporation.
>LN03	25	Early DEC-PPL3, Digital Equipment Corp.
>
>CCITT	26	
>
>QUIC	27	QUIC (Quality Information Code), Page Description Language for laser
>printers.  Included graphics, printer control capability and emulation of
>other well- known printer .  QMS, Inc.
>
>CPAP	28	Common Printer Access Protocol Digital Equipment Corp
>
>DecPPL	29	Digital ANSI-Compliant Printing Protocol (DEC-PPL) Digital
>Equipment Corp
>
>SimpleText	30	simple-text: character coded data, including NUL, CR , LF, HT,
>and FF control characters.  See ISO 10175 Document Printing Application
>(DPA) ISO standard, Geneva, Switzerlan
>
>NPAP	31	Network Printer Alliance Protocol (NPAP).  This protocol has been
>superseded by the IEEE 1284.1 TIPSI standard.  (ref.  LangTIPSI(49)).
>
>DOC	32	Document Option Commands, Appears in the data stream between data
>intended for a page description .  QMS, Inc
>
>imPress	33	imPRESS, Page description language originally developed for the
>ImageServer line of systems.  A binary language providing representations
>for text, simple graphics (rules, lines, conic sections), and some large
>forms (simple bit-map and CCITT group 3/4 encoded).The language was intended
>to be sent over an 8-bit channel and supported early document preparation
>languages (e.g.  TeX and TROFF).  QMS, Inc.
>
>Pinwriter	34	24 wire dot matrix printer for USA, Europe, and Asia except
>Japan.  More widely used in Germany, and some Asian countries than in US.  NEC
>
>NPDL	35	Page printer for Japanese market.  NEC
>
>NEC201PL	36	Serial printer language used in the Japanese market.  NEC
>
>Automatic	37	Automatic PDL sensing.  Automatic sensing of the interpreter
>language family by the printer examining the document content.  Which actual
>interpreter language families are sensed depends on the printer implementation.
>
>Pages	38	Page printer Advanced Graphic Escape Set IBM Japan
>
>LIPS	39	LBP Image Processing System
>
>TIFF	40	Tagged Image File Format (Aldus)
>
>Diagnostic	41	A hex dump of the input to the interprete
>
>PSPrinter	42	The PostScript Language used for control (with any PDLs) Adobe
>Systems Incorporated
>
>CaPSL	43	Canon Print Systems Language
>
>EXCL	44	Extended Command Language Talaris Systems Inc
>
>LCDS	45	Line Conditioned Data Stream Xerox Corporatio
>
>XES	46	Xerox Escape Sequences Xerox Corporation
>
>PCLXL	47	Printer Control Language.  Extended language features for printing,
>and printer control.  Technical reference manual # TBD.  Hewlett-Packard Co.
>
>ART	48	Advanced Rendering Tools (ART).  Page Description language originally
>developed for the Laser Press printers.  Tehnical reference manual: "ART IV
>Reference Manual", No F33M.  Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd.
>
>TIPSI	49	Transport Independent Printer System Interface (ref.  IEEE Std.
>1284.1)
>
>Prescribe	50	Page description and printer control language.  It can be
>described with ordinary ASCII characters.  Technical reference manual:
>"PRESCRIBE II Programming Manual"
>
>LinePrinter	51	A simple-text character stream which supports the control
>codes LF, VT, FF and CR plus Centronics or Dataproducts Vertical Format Unit
>(VFU).  language is commonly used on many older model line and matrix printers.
>
>IDP	52	Imaging Device Protocol Apple Computer.
>
>XJCL	53	Xerox Corp.
>
>
>