Subject: IPP> 38th IETF: IPP

From: Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:23:53 -0500

This is to confirm one session for IPP as follows:

        Tuesday, April 8 at 0900 (opposite rmonmib, poisson, find, pkix, 
                ospf, ion, mmusic)

Please submit and agenda as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Marcia

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:38:36 PST

At 10:23 AM 3/12/97 PST, you wrote:
>Please submit an agenda as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Marcia
>

Marcia,

here follows the description and tentative agenda for the IPP WG:

---

Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) WG

Tuesday, April 8 at 09:00 - 11:30
=================================

DESCRIPTION:

The goal of this new working group is to develop requirements for Internet 
Printing and to describe a model and semantics for Internet Printing.

The further goal is to define a new application level Internet 
Printing Protocol for the following core functions:

- for a user to find out about a printer's capabilities
- for a user to submit print jobs to a printer
- for a user to find out the status of a printer or a print job
- for a user to cancel a previously submitted job

The Internet Printing Protocol is a client-server type protocol which 
should allow the server side to be either a separate print server or a 
printer with embedded networking capabilities. The focus of this effort
is optimized for printers, but might be applied to other output devices.
These are outside the scope of this working group.

The working group will also define a set of directory attributes that 
can be used to ease finding printers on the network.

Security features for authentication, authorization, and policies
for the IPP environment will also be studied and documented.

The focus of this meeting will be to liaise with other IETF WGs on protocol
and security approaches for IPP.

AGENDA:

1) Introduction of WG Charter and current Internet-Drafts (references still
to be supplied)  (20 min)

2) Solicit feedback on Protocol for IPP (50 min)

3) Solicit feedback on Security for IPP (50 min)

4) Solicit feedback on Requirements for IP (10 min)

5) Solicit feedback on Model and Semantics for IPP (10 min)

---

Carl-Uno Manros - IPP WG Chair

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]