Subject: IPP> Re: IPP Charter modifications

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:40:02 -0700

Keith,

Thanks for your response.  I appreciate the perspecitive you add.

************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked]
W: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************

>>> Keith Moore <[email-masked]> 03/08/97 01:23am >>>
> The IETF has a somewhat different composition than the current IPP
>  group. Different sets of people will naturally identify different needs.
> For those who attended the IPP BOF at the last IETF, the IETF's 
> concern over inventing a new protocol instead of adapting lpr should
>  not be surprising.  Several IETF participants have expressed similar
>  concerns to me personally.    I've tried to convince those people that
>  lpr is  basically broken and non-extensible, but some of them are still
>  concerned about compatibility.  Hence the charter requirement.

I have now had a chance to go back and read the proposed charter text
and all of the email related to this, and I actually agree with the many of
the conclusions that have been drawn and proposed on how to handle
this.  I was reacting to what I THOUGHT  the intent of proposed charter
changes rather than what they turned out to be.

>  I think it's fair to say that there is suspicion both on the
> part of some members of IPP to IETF, and of some members of IETF
> toward IPP.  The best way to address this problem is to get the
> two groups working together.

I, for one,  fully expect to have a good relationship between the working
group and the IESG and other IETFers.   At this point, I think that it would
be better for the industry to have a real, implementable,  standard rather
than just a hacked out wart based on some combination of existing
prototype products,  barely acceptable to the IETF let alone
world of developers and product teams.

Scott