Subject: IPP>ADM

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:05:18 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

As I've pointed people to the PWG ftp site to get the IPP documents, it has
become increasingly difficult to point them to the latest documentation. The
I-Ds are spread across several directories and they are changing over time.
I'd like to propose the following idea -- what if we kept a copy of the latest
internet drafts in one common place with a standard name so that we could point
people unfamiliar with the history and reams of documentation out there to one
place where they could get the lastest and greatest.  For example, have a
directory called "Current-Internet-Drafts" which would have in it "Model",
"Requirements", Directory-Schema", and "Protocol" etc. without version
numbers.  We could choose to promote documents to this directory when we were re
ady to have the rest of the world read and comment on them.

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:44:16 PST

>ady to have the rest of the world read and comment on them.

Roger,

the main idea is that people unfamiliar with the project should go to the
Web site rather than the FTP site, and that we try to keep up with the
latest version there.

Using a standard name for the latest draft of its kind is still a good idea
and would do the referencing from the Web pages a lot easier. I would
expect the editor/whip for each subgroup to keep an eye on this for both
the FTP and Web versions.

Please note that I do not want us to label things as Internet Drafts if
they have not yet been sent to the IETF for publishing as such. So far,
only our input to IETF in San Jose are in that category.

I have asked people before to please clean up the "new_XXX" folders to get
rid of older version and make sure that they only remain in the respective
"historic" sub folders. Please editors and main contributors do this!

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]