Subject: IPP>MOD - adornments to specify display strings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:37:29 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

I have been reading Bob's latest version of the model document.   As I read the
sections on job priority, it struck me that a display string adornment might be
useful. For example, simply define the JobHoldUntil attribute values as A, B,
C, etc.  The administrator can then associate, via a display string adornment,
what actually gets displayed to the end-user when these options are presented.
I might choose A to be "Print after midnight", B to be "Print on week-ends",
etc.  On the server side, it would not be difficult to map A, B, C, etc to
actual scheduling alogorithms.

I think you could do the same for priority. I don't think that the current
high, medium, low is granular enough or perhaps meaningful to many users. For
example, if I put in IPP interface on top of the MVS system, I'd like to have
existing MVS users see the MVS  CLASS keyword that they are used to. So, for an
MVS printer I'd adorn the A attribute with CLASS=X.