Subject: IPP> MOD - Reminder about I18N

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:49:47 PST

This is a reminder to the Model & Semantics subgroup not to forget about
the international aspects of the specification.

We need to make sure that the semantics allow for international use (the
default character set in IETF is ISO 10646).

I suggest that all text fields, that are meant to be read by humans, should
allow for transparent use of 10646 characters. My assumption is that we
would not require every implementation of client and server side of the
protocol to support all the language variants that 10646 contains, but it
should at least be possible for a client that can produce a Japanese text
to send operations to a server that supports Japanese without restrictions.
We may also want to include multi-valued job and printer attributes, which
contains information about which 10646 subsets the server supports. 

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]