Subject: IPP>MOD - Suggestions for new introduction

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:33:15 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

I've posted a suggested new introduction to the Model Document in
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/newintro.txt

This is based on the system diagram that's been discussed here for
the past few days.  The objective of this intro is to put IPP into context
with the rest of the components required to implement a printing system,
e.g. Security, Directory, Transport, etc.  I'd appreciate any comments.

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:05:09 PST

>ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/newintro.txt

Roger,

thanks for doing this. It certainly helps us quite a bit further.

I have a few comments:

1) When you talk about users, you limit it to human users and assume human
interfaces. Obviously an application could use IPP directly without human
intervention.  I think this should be called out somewhere.

2) In the picture, you have the Brower connected directly to Transport.
My suggestion is that it is connected to the IPP Client (I suppose this is
one of the points on which we not yet have agreement).

3) On Notification Service you state that we assume that this exists. My
assumption is that you could have an implementation that does not support
this. You could have an IPP Client regularly pull the IPP Server for status
information instead (not so elegant, but possible - many implementations
use this now).

4) You also claim that a Directory Service is assumed. You could advertise
your Printers on Web pages as an alternative to listing them in a
directory, hence this is also not a service that has to be present.

5) The relationship between an IPP Server and a Printing Service is not
very clear in the text. I assume that the IPP Server is a component of the
Printing Service. We need to say that.

Again thanks,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]