Subject: IPP> MOD - Pushback on removing job-hold-until/job-print-after and page-select

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:36:22 PST

The minutes contained these two proposals to remove attibutes
from IPP V1.0:

Item 7.

Since Job-Hold-After and Job-Print-After etc are not extremely critical
features for IPP/1.0 and since they are taking a lot of time and energy away
from more productive work, we will drop these from IPP/1.0  If there are
scenarios that need them, lets go back and look at the scnearios and change
the scenarios. 

TH> Did you consider dropping the relative form of time.  I see no value
in specifying that a job be held for a relative amount of time.
But an absolute time or a time period seems simple enough.  How
about just those?  What were the problems with them?  If not, lets
keep it in.  If there are, I agree that this attribute isn't as
critical as others.

Item 8:

The same (see Item 7) is true for page-select.  Remove it from IPP/1.0.  

TH> I feel much more strongly about keeping page-select, since
it is something that you can do on every Windows and MAC today
(and for many years).  How can IPP V1.0 not support what is
done by 100M clients today?

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:34:51 -0800

> From [email-masked] Tue Feb 18 23:38:40 1997
> 
   ...
> keep it in.  If there are, I agree that this attribute isn't as

The problem with absolute time is that it doesn't work in the job
template, either for supported values for the default value, unless
and an administrator changes the Printer's values frequently.

The concept was getting more and more difficult to make work and it
seemed to be of marginal value.

> done by 100M clients today?

We used the same reasoning here. The syntax of the value was complex
and the feature didn't seem to be very important in the IPP context.

You are right that a user can select pages in Windows and MACs today, but
the selection does not stay as an attribute, the driver makes the
selections and produces a PostScript/PCL with fewer pages.

What this IPP attribute allows is for someone to print a subset of
pages of a text or PostScript file. Is that important?