Subject: IPP>SEC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:18:29 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

Bob, does the following work for the case you suggested:

    2) Access controlled:  The Printer object has an associated
  Access Control List (ACL). Identification is required, but
  authentication (other than perhaps a password) is not.
| Identification may flow with the IPP request or may be
| included as part of the underlying transport. Data is most
  likely always sent in the clear.  Again this is probably
  most suited for environments where Printers are not
  accessible from outside of an organization*,s firewall.
  However certain printers may be usable only by certain
  groups within an organization. This scheme also allows
  for accounting to be applied to printing based on user
  or group identity.