Subject: IPP> 2/19/97 IPP Conference Call Minutes

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 97 17:29:33 EST

I have incorporated some additional notes from Scott
Isaacson into Randy's notes and posted the minutes from
yesterday's conferece call on the server:

ftp://www.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970219-ipp-conference-call.doc
ftp://www.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970219-ipp-conference-call.ps
ftp://www.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970219-ipp-conference-call.pdf
ftp://www.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/970219-ipp-conference-call.txt

Additionally, for the computationally impaired, I have
attached the text version to this note.

Thanks Randy and Scott!

Don

*************************************************************
* Don Wright ([email-masked])        Lexmark International *
* Manager                               Strategic Alliances *
* 740 New Circle Rd                     Phone: 606-232-4808 *
* Lexington, KY  40511                    Fax: 606-232-6740 *
*************************************************************
Internet Printing Project
Conference Call - February 19, 1997

Attendees:

Steve Zilles - Adobe
Jim Walker - Dazel
Lee Farrell - Canon
Peter Zehler - Xerox
Roger DeBry - IBM
Scott Isaacson - Novell
Jeff Copeland - QMS
Mabry Dozier - QMS
Bob Herriott - SUN
Stan McConnell - Xerox
Randy Turner - Sharp

In the absence of Carl-Uno Manros, the conference call was run by Scott Isaacson.  Minutes were taken by 
Randy Turner

1.  Co-Chair

There was an open discussion about the proposal that  Steve Zilles
from Adobe be named co-chair for the IPP IETF working group.  The only
comment was a question to Steve about how much he was going to be
participating.  He responded say that he would be mainly responsible for
publicizing IPP within the IETF and IESG.  He would also participate in all
of the meetings and the teleconferences.

2.  FTP Structure

All minutes and issues lists from each sub group should go under
each new_<subgroup> directory, not in the general minutes and actions
directories.

3. Requirements I-D

Comments on the new I-D posted by Don are due 3/5.

4. IETF

The deadline for I-D submission to IETF is 3/26 5:00 pm Eastern

5.  Model Sub-Group

Model telecon Friday 2/21 2-4 MST

6. Open Issues Process

What is the process for closing open issues?

The chair of the working group will declare status of issues once he/she determines rough concensus has 
been reached.

7. Requirements Issues were reviewed.

Item #4 Should print-file be changed to send-file? or is there something else going on here?

#12 HTTP request to retrieve the appropriate driver installer - recommended outside IPP scope (closed)

#13 Do we define some standard for cost of a page? (Outside scope of initial IPP effort) (closed)

#37 Still open - objective attributes vs. subjective attributes

#45 Has been changed (closed)

#48 Fan-in issue (Tom will write up something, open)

#49 closed

#50 Need to look at translating user requests/desires to directory service attributes (Yes we need to do this, 
closed)

#51 Add user-attended/operator-attended operation (passed to model group)

#54  Boolean operation supported in DS query

#56 Scenarios might be more clear if identified as intranet or internet (already covered in document, 
closed)

#57 closed

#59 Scenario 3.8 is user required to know what PDL is used in his/her job (changed in document so user 
doesn't need to know, closed)

#60 How does HTML printing handle links? (outside scope of initial IPP work, closed)

#61 

#62 All queued jobs visible? (no, but the position of the clients' jobs will be visible, but the protocol does 
allow full disclosure. closed?)

#63 Does ListJob include completed jobs? What does ListJob return? (Bob H. will define ListJob 
modifiers, closed)

#64 Scenario 4.2, change "getting status" to "get capabilities" (done, closed)

#65 Is there a scenario for "presubmitting" jobs? (closed, out of scope)

#66 Should resource references (summary) be part of the metadata instead of the print job? (in the model 
document, closed)

#67 Add scenario for multiple-document jobs (already done, closed)

8. Model subgroup issues review:

#2 What is the URL format for a job identifier? (Use what is returned by the server, with the exception of 
what is defined
     by the IETF with regards to URL format, the remainder of the URL is opaque to clients)  -- closed?

#3 Add an attribute to the printer that will indicate URI for driver installer? (open

#4 Is "Media ready" part of the directory service entry (work to be done, open)

#7 Specify which attributes are mandatory and what is optional (work to be done, open)

#11 Information about security details and payments will be part of the printer information and not 
directory service (open)

#13 For a "print" operation, should other attributes and status associated with the job be returned, along 
with the new
       job URL/URI?  (open)

#14 Should IPP document abstracts list all associated documents so reader knows to retrieve other 
necessary documents? (sure, why not, closed)

#16 Version 1.2 states there is an optional message and optional error information in the operation 
responses - this needs to
       be cleaned up.  (open)

#17 Bob H. will review wording (open)

#18 The term "Best-effort" will be elaborated (clarified in several contexts) in the documents (open)

#19 Clarify adornment to this status (closed)

#20 (Not covered during conference call)

#21 (Not covered during conference call)

The meeting was concluded.

	Internet Printing Project

02/19/97 Conference Call  Minutes	1