Subject: Re: IPP> MOD optional attributes for more info and driver,, ins

From: [email-masked] (Zehler,Peter)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:18:06 PST

All,

Randy wrote:
>I wouldn't go any further with standardizing driver installation
>than the following paragraph:

>"The directory entry for printers will contain one or more URLs
>that contain locations for drivers for one or more different
>platforms or operating environments".

>What protocol you use to obtain the driver will depend upon the
>URL "protocol" field (HTTP:, FTP:, etc.). The URL should provide
>enough context information for an unambiguous retrieval of the
>driver. To talk about "Well, you issue an HTTP GET request..."
>I think goes into more detail than we need to specify in order
>to obtain an IPP driver for a particular device.

All I am looking for is 2 IPP attributes.  One URL for end user
interactions to obtain additional information(i.e. printer-more-info.)
The second for programmatic access to the location of the printer's
driver installer(i.e. printer-driver-installer.)

The important differentiation here is one attribute is target at the
end user and is very general.  The other attribute is for programmatic
access and is specific to driver installation.  Neither of these attributes
would be mandatory.

Pete