Subject: IPP> MOD - Exactly what is a reasonable subset?

From: [email-masked] (JK Martin)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 11:02 EST

Scott Isaacson recently wrote this little gem, but since it was near the
end of a comprehensive reply message, it might have gone unnoticed by some:

> I do not want the IPP Model  to turn into a smallest common subset or
> union of all printing systems.  I want it to be a "reasonable" view for all
> printing subsystems.  I don't even think the right words are greatest
> common subset (since one trivial printing system brings the whole thing
> down into the mud).  We, as participating companies, all have different
> markets with different types of customers, however, from  the Novell
> perspective, we have found that 100 different values are TOO many.  I
> am sure that we can satisfy over 95% of electronic distributed printing
> with only 3 values.

Scott, I agree with you entirely here on this critical top-level position.

How many others agree or disagree to this basic premise as proposed
by Scott?

We can cut out all kinds of issue-beating if we all first agree that we
MUST have something simple...or at least simpler than what is currently
proposed.

	...jay