Subject: IPP> REQ - Scenario when printer jams and job flushes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 97 15:02:00 CST

I have a couple of comments on the following scenarios in the document 
     posted on the server (ipp-scn-3.pdf).  The solution may be to simply add 
     two more scenarios.

     Here is the current scenario 3.2
     
          Client submits a print job. The data to be printed comes from a 
          file on the client's hard drive. It is "pushed" to the Printer. 
          The Printer is not capable of spooling the output. The data to be 
          printed was encrypted using the Printer's public key. The user 
          wants to know where to pick up the finished print job, and what 
          it costs when it is done. The printer jams while receiving print 
          data and the job cannot be completed. The remaining data is 
          flushed.
     
     Here is the current scenario 3.7
     
          Client submits a print job. The data to be printed comes from a 
          file on the client's hard drive. It is "pushed" to the Printer. 
          The Printer is not capable of spooling the output. The data to be 
          printed was encrypted using the Printer's public key. The user 
          wants to know where to pick up the finished print job, and what 
          it costs when it is done. The printer jams while receiving print 
          data and the job cannot be completed. The remaining data is 
          flushed.

     On each of these scenarios, a printer jam occurs and the data is 
     flushed.  I suppose that a similar printer error condition could also 
     force these 2 scenarios (out of paper?).
     
     I think that a lot of users will want his job to complete *after* the 
     error condition is corrected, 95 pages out of 100 could have been 
     printed prior to the jam.  Obviously status information should be sent 
     back to the user, and maybe he should have the option of canceling the 
     job himself, but not automatically by the printer.
     
     On long jobs sent to printers with small input bins, a paper out 
     condition could happen prior to the job ever completing.
     
     Mabry.