Subject: RE: IPP> Re: What is it we really need?

From: Babak Jahromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 17:58:48 -0800

There is still a lot more. Servers have support for cool new technology
that printer boxes won't have, such as scripting engines (Java, Visual
Basic, etc.), dynamic HTML generation, built-in SNMP support, directory
service, cool graphics engine, standard APIs people can write to, and on
and on...

>Agreed that a print server implemented on a computer probably still
>has some advantages...but the main reasons are that it has a lot
>of secondary storage and a flexible authentication/authorization system
>that can easily be shared among several applications.
>
>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 00:48:20 -0500

> service, cool graphics engine, standard APIs people can write to, and on

How nice for you! 

Keith