Subject: RE: IPP> What is it we really need?

From: Babak Jahromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:51:31 -0800

>
>>I did not say there is no need for stand alone network printers. I said
>>there is no dying need for them to be connected to Internet. That does
>>not mean they should not be connected to the private corporate networks.
>>
>>Babak
>
>I thought the whole point was that there is less and less of a
>distinction between the internet and the private corporate net!
>
>I think "improving network printing" and "internet printing" are
>inseparable due to the way networks are accessed, utilized and
>portrayed to the user today.
>
>Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
>

I don't disagree with you. I do believe that making private networks be
"intranets" makes a lot of sense. I am just saying that printer boxes
may have a hard time keeping up with all developments going on for the
Web, so using a rich, Web cabaple sever machine to cover for them makes
sense.

Babak

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 00:05:05 -0500

> Web, so using a rich, Web cabaple sever machine to cover for them makes

Having a relatively simple print protocol, that doesn't try to keep up
with "all developments going on for the Web" makes even more sense.

Keith