Subject: IPP>REQ - A call for issues -Reply

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 97 08:12:37 MST

Sorry for the multi level embed... my comment is at the bottom, HRL>

 > 1) Is the cost per page tied to the media it is printed on?
 >    Do we define some standard for determining the cost
 >    of a page.
 >
 > answer: I believe that we need to allow the people setting
 > up and running IPP printers to decide how they want to
 > charge for printing, and be able to show an end user
 > what the cost per page is.  This will certainly depend on
 > media, but may also depend on use of color, and other
 > printer options.

 SAI>  Do you envision a "cost-per-page" attribute that is set to some
 SAI>  value like "$0.32" or some set of attributes that are queried and
 SAI>  evaluated and some cost per page number is generated?
 SAI>  If you envision the later then I say that this is beyond the scope
 SAI>  of IPP

 RKD> I envision a cost-per-page attribute that is set when printer
 RKD  is configured.

 HRL> As mentioned in the opening comment, cost will depend on (among
 HRL> other things) whether or not color is used. I recommend any such
 HRL> cost per page attribute be at least granular enough to
 HRL> distinguish between
 HRL>
 HRL> A. Black
 HRL> B. CYMK Used
 HRL> C. 5th Color Used (probably better terminology needed here).
 HRL>
 HRL> It can be argued that this is way too notchy since a splash
 HRL> of color costs the same as a bucket full on the page, but I
 HRL> suggest, except for very high end systems that can meter
 HRL> supplies, this will actually be the accounting paradigm.
 HRL>
 HRL> Overall, I tend to agree with Scott that cost per page is out
 HRL> of scope for now.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Jeff Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:45:39 -0500

>  HRL> C. 5th Color Used (probably better terminology needed here).

The term I'm familiar with is "spot color".  And a spot color may, 
in fact be a clear varnish--though varnish is often priced as a 
separate finishing option.

/Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------