Subject: IPP>REQ - A call for issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:08:42 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-772-2479

My response to Peter's questions:

1) Is the cost per page tied to the media it is printed on?
     Do we define some standard for determining the cost
    of a page.

answer: I believe that we need to allow the people setting
up and running IPP printers to decide how they want to
charge for printing, and be able to show an end user
what the cost per page is.  This will certainly depend on
media, but may also depend on use of color, and other
printer options.

2) Is information that is as variable as media-ready stored
     in the name service?

answer: The name service needs to be able to tell a user that
a printer is normally set up to print on various media, such as
transparencies.  If a printer has three input trays and one of
those trays is supposed to have tranparencies in it, then I should
put this in the name-service to help users find a printer that prints
transparencies.  However, the name service probably should not
be updated everytime the transparency tray empties, or if a rogue
user swaps the transparency tray for another media type.

3) How is "near my hotel" done? Is there a required format for
     printer location in the scheme?

answer:  How is not a requirements question! The need to find a
printer near my hotel is as real (and probably as difficult) as finding
a printer near my office.   I don't think that the format of the data can
be standardized.

4) The client should be able to ask either the printer or the name
      server for the location of the driver/driver installer.

 answer: Yes, but this is true of any of the attributes stored in the
name service.

       The client should negotiate with the driver/driver installer
        server for the appropriate version.

answer: This is shown in one of the end-to-end scenarios.

5) How do you determine the notification methods supported
     by the printer? What is the set of notification methods
     for IPP?

answer:  We need a "notification-methods" attribute.

6) Are we going to use URLs to naem files to be pulled
    to the printer?

answer: yes

7) Are hold and release IPP v1 operations?

answer: tbd, but ought to be in the scenarios in any case.