Subject: IPP> DIR - X.500 Attributes for Device

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:33:13 PST

I suggested earlier to take a look at which atributes X.500 defines for
Device.

I have now looked them up and was somewhat disappointed with the result.
They do not seem to help us much further, but for what it is worth, here
they are.

X.500 Directory Attributes for Device:

commonName			text string

A common name specifies an identifier of an object.  A common name is not a
directory name; it is a (possibly ambiguous) name by which the object is
commonly known in some limited scope (such as an organization) and conforms
to the naming conventions of the country or culture with which it is
asociated.

description			text string

The description attribute type specifies text which describes the
associated object.

localityName			text string

The locality name attribute type specifies a locality.  When used as a
component of a directory name, it identifies a geographical area or
locality in which the named object is physically located or with which it
is associated in some other important way.

organizationName		text string

The organization name attribute type specifies an organization.  When used
as a component of a directory name it identifies an organization with which
the named object is affiliated.

organizationalUnitName		text string

The organizational unit name attribute type specifies an organizational
unit.  When used as a component of a directory name it identifies an
organizational unit with which the named object is affiliated.  The
designated organizational unit is understood to be part an organization
designated by an organization name attribute.  It follows that if an
organizational unit name attribute is used in a directory name, it must be
associated with an organization name attribute.

owner				distinguished name

The owner attribute type specifies the name of some object which has some
responsibility for the associated object.

seeAlso				distinguished name

The see also attribute type specifies names of other directory objects
which may be other aspects (in some sense) of the same real world object.

serialNumber			text string

The serial number specifies an identifier, the serial number of the device.

----

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]