Subject: Re: IPP> Proposed Summary of IPP Feature Set -Reply

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 14:52:41 -0700

I share Jay's concern/confusion/frustration about the scope of this
"protocol".  

I am still strongly against trying to solve the "automatic driver download
and install problem right now."   

I do agree that it is an important feature to think about, but it is not critical
right now.   The clear objective that we just received from the area
director (s) is to "KEEP IT SIMPLE".  Simple things are implemented and
hence accepted.  Complex things are not.  We have enough on our
plates as it is.  Let's save dessert for later.

Scott

************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked]
W: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************

>>> JK Martin <[email-masked]> 01/03/97 01:50pm >>>
All,

Well, I'm getting more and more confused everyday about the scope of
the IPP initiative.  Based on the responses from Carl-Uno and Peter
Zehler, it looks like we're all over the map with respect to the
breadth and depth of the functionality.

I had hoped to submit a draft outline of scenarios by now.  Unfortunately,
due to the holiday season (I guess), not many people have responded
to my earlier posting on this topic.  I really needed feedback, and
the feedback I got just confused me even more.

I am really sorry, but I don't see a good starting point for the
scenarios right now.  I think the group needs to really flesh out
the project scope some more before we launch into scenario
development.

Just my $0.02 right now, but from where I sit, I'm expecting someone
to suggest adding "World Peace" to the IPP list of functionality...  ;-)

I'm all for satisfying customer needs, but there are only so many
hours in a day (and only so much digestable rationale for amortizing
engineering costs...).

I'm going to step back from spearheading the Scenarios effort and
let someone else have a hack at it.

	...jay

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 13:53:05 -0800

I concur with Jay and Scott's comments (and have echoed this in past
messages)

For now, just submit a print job and check status on the job submitted.
In my opinion, this should be the core of our first draft.

Things like how we find a printer, and IPP-enabling drivers should come 
later.

Randy

-- 
Randy Turner
Network Architect
Sharp Laboratories of America
[email-masked]