Subject: RE: IPP> What is it we really need?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:11:17 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue:

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 01/06/97 06:00
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        01/05/97 06:44 PM

To: moore @ cs.utk.edu@internet
cc: jkm @ underscore.com@internet, ipp @ pwg.org@internet
Subject: RE: IPP> What is it we really need?

Babek wrote the following:

>Yes. For example, Interent Explorer just uses the underlying Win32
>Internet APIs that all others applications could use as well. So each
>Windows client machine contains the "stock" Interenet client software
>everyone can code to. Notice that by using these APIs, many other issues
>like security, encryption, etc. are taken care of as a side effect.

It does seem that there is significant value in being able to reuse APIs,
and underlying system code that is made available because you are building
on an existing protocol.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 12:26:43 -0500

> and underlying system code that is made available because you are building

yes, indeed.  That's the idea behind http-lite.  Take out the cruft from
http that just gets in the way, and leave in the core protocol that's usable
by many applications.

Keith