Subject: Re[2]: IPP> Proposed Summary of IPP Feature Set -Reply

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:11:22 -0500

There are, perhaps, multiple agenda to be resolved. But the need for a 
     capable, readily implementable and expandable IP printing system is, I 
     think, rather clear.   
     
       1. IP appears to be  becoming the predominant protocol, not just for 
     things concerned with the popular concept of the Internet, but for the 
     work-horse networking in business and commerce as well as education 
     and scientific areas.
     
       2. the new IP clientele include a large non-Unix oriented, non 
     workstation oriented population. They are PC and Intel-box Windows 
     people accustomed to expecting plug and play, non technically 
     demanding, 'user friendly' capabilities that still provide them with 
     the perception of control.
     
       3. Printing, in meeting the demands of the market, has become very 
     complicated in imaging, paper handling. marking processes, etc. Those 
     same technically unsophisticated users want to be able to take 
     advantage of these features (which, of course, is the reason they 
     bought the new printers with those features). I would suggest that 
     many classical IP clientele have similar desires and expectations. 
     
     A standardized protocol for a IP printing system is needed. LPD does 
     not provide a sufficient base for the existing printer capabilities 
     let alone for the coming ones. DPA has defined perhaps too broad and 
     inclusive a capability; as Novell has pointed out, there are several 
     non compatible  implementations. Non compatible implementations are 
     not in keeping with internetworking.
     
     Although presented as an approach to "Internet Printing"  (which means 
     different things to different people and has a certain panache to it) 
     the objective of Novell's LDPA was to provide a subset of the 
     advantages of DPA in a standardized from to the community of Internet 
     Protocol users. Although there have been certain changes, that remains 
     the core of the IPP document. I suggest we return to that core 
     objective, which is not insubstantial and may need some trimming, 
     keeping in mind that what is established will have to act as the base 
     for the grander printing schemes we envision.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: IPP> Proposed Summary of IPP Feature Set -Reply
Author:  [email-masked] at Internet
Date:    1/3/97 1:53 PM

I concur with Jay and Scott's comments (and have echoed this in past 
messages)
     
For now, just submit a print job and check status on the job submitted. 
In my opinion, this should be the core of our first draft.
     
Things like how we find a printer, and IPP-enabling drivers should come 
later.
     
Randy

Scott A. Isaacson wrote:
> 
> I share Jay's concern/confusion/frustration about the scope of this 
> "protocol".
> 
> I am still strongly against trying to solve the "automatic driver download 
> and install problem right now."
> 
> I do agree that it is an important feature to think about, but it is not 
critical
> right now.   The clear objective that we just received from the area
> director (s) is to "KEEP IT SIMPLE".  Simple things are implemented and 
> hence accepted.  Complex things are not.  We have enough on our
> plates as it is.  Let's save dessert for later. 
> 
> Scott
> 
> ************************************************************ 
> Scott A. Isaacson
> Print Services Consulting Engineer
> Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606 
> V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
> F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked] 
> W: http://www.novell.com
> ************************************************************ 
> 
     
-- 
Randy Turner
Network Architect
Sharp Laboratories of America
[email-masked]