Subject: IPP> REQ Driver download in/out of IPP

From: [email-masked] (Zehler,Peter)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:13:44 PST

All,
One thing first, has the minutes from the Albuquerque meeting been posted?

1)  Driver download is not a mandatory operation in IPP.  I see no need for a
         driver download operation in IPP.
2)  We have the printer make and model as printer attributes.  If you 
 are willing
         to live with reduced functionality an existing compatible 
 driver could be
         used.  This would leave the compatibility decision up to the client.
3)  I see no need for a device ID.  Does it provide information beyond make and
         model.
4)  I am in favor of adding an attribute to the printer that will 
 indicate the URL for a
         driver installer.  An HTTP request can be directed to the URL 
 to retrieve the
         appropriate driver installer.  The complexity of the installer 
 can be left up to
         the OS and printer venders.  (e.g. INF file, self extracting 
 zip file, internet aware
         script, ActiveX, Java)
   4a)  This should work with existing drivers and be forward looking 
 to IPP aware
                drivers.
   4b)  Driver/interpreters could be rolled out that can take advantage 
 of late binding
                of printing instructions.
5)  The HTTP request to retrieve the driver could be:
              1) Outside the scope of IPP.
              2) Specified by us to have specific parameters to 
 retrieve the appropriate driver.
              3) Tied to WEBDAV.
6)  Since  MicroSoft/Hewlett Packard/Lexmark are addressing automatic 
 driver download,
           we can not ignore it.

I would like to see driver download addressed in the scenario diagrams.

Pete