Subject: IPP> Re: IPP and OMG PF coordination.

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:39:38 -0800

> From [email-masked] Tue Jan  7 16:03:52 1997
> >
> >        1. Assume ISO DPA 2M level conformance for attributes ( as is the current OMG RFP resp.).

I believe that the IPP group has made no statement about 2M level
conformance. 2M level conformance is neither a necessary nor sufficient
condition for achieving the right set of features for IPP.

We have used the phrase "heavily influenced by ISO DPA" to describe
IPP. We believe that DPA has some ideas worth borrowing, but we also
want to avoid the immense size and complexity of DPA. I don't expect
that 2M will be borrowed into IPP.

Bob Herriot

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 18:48:01 +0100

re ISO DPA:
Many ISO standards are available on the Web, if you know where to
look, either because of release for specific purposes or because drafts
are allowed to be distributed, even though the final docs are
ISO copyright.

Does anyone know of "loose copies" of the ISO DPA spec?

                   Harald A

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:22:18 +0100

I now have a copy of the ISO DPA spec. (Thanks!)

The most interesting thing I've found so far is the size:
482 pages, not including the index.

It also references ISO 216, 269, 639, 646, 2022, 2375, 3166, 6429, 6937, 7350, 
7498, 8571, 8613, 8822, 8824, 8825, 8859-1, 9541, 9594, 9945, 10021, 10031, 
10166, 10180, 10367, 10538, 10646, 10740 and RFC 1759.

Of particular interest to us may be the references:

- Fonts from ISO 9541 (can someone tell us whether this reference
  is useful for getting out of the messy problem of naming fonts?)
- Distributed Office Applications General Model from ISO 10175

I think there's a "marketplace" for the 3-page document describing the
model that *we* want to use, written by someone who understands the
DPA model and can tell us with some conviction that it fits.

                       Harald A