Subject: RE: IPP> Some notes from an IETF Area Director

From: Babak Jahromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 01:16:04 -0800

I was not referring to firewalls as a bad design. They are designed to
protect the intranets against the outside attack. This makes them a
necessity. What is bad is using firewalls not against the outsiders,
rather against the people inside the firewall, enforcing email
censorship, blocking outbound print jobs, etc.

I just don't see the bulk of the market using firewalls against their
own people.

Babak

>
>[email-masked] said:
>> We are not in the busniess of developing software for organizations 
>> who think this way. We are targeting the bulk market. Such paranoid 
>> organizatoins need to buy custom software adapted to their special 
>> needs. 
>
>If you mean by this that you regard firewalls as an aberration,
>example of bad design, a totally unworkable solution in the
>long run, and something we should ignore when designing real protocols,
>then we are in complete agreement.
>
>Unfortunately paranoid organizations have a lot of buying power,
>so not all people may be happy with that attitude.
>Let's just make sure that if we mention firewalls at all, we
>describe them correctly; I prefer to ignore them whenever I can.
>
>                         Harald A
>
>
>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:24:06 -0500

> I just don't see the bulk of the market using firewalls against their

most of the people I know who have to deal with firewalls
(other than those whose job it is to maintain security) do seem to
feel that those firewalls are, to some degree, being used against them

rather than expressing it in terms of firewalls, let's put it another way:

ability to circumvent site security policy is not a feature

Keith

---

From: Alex Bochannek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 97 01:21:56 PST

If you run an ISP, your people are not your people. By disguising one
protocol within another, you loose the ability to identify easily and
block when necessary.

I can see IPP being used quite nicely for denial of service attacks.

Alex.