Subject: IPP> MOD - Model group telecon -Reply

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:32:43 -0700

Keith,

You asked:
************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked]
W: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************

>>> <[email-masked]> 01/21/97 08:09am >>>
>  2.  Can someone please describe the meaning of "xxx-select vs.
>   xxx-supported"?

This terminology comes from any of the DPA attributes.  A job object may
have an attribute called:  media-select.  This attribute's value indicates to
the Printer, what media to use for this job.  This attribute better have
some relationship with Printer object attribute called: media-supported. 
We have many attributes already defined for IPP like this, however they
are not called xxx-select or xxx-supported, but that is what they mean. 
Tom H has a proposal to do away with BOTH attributes and just come up
with ONE for each pair.  The syntax might be different depending on
whether it is in a Job object or  Printer object, but the attribute name is the
same and the values from the same domain.

Scott