Subject: IPP>REQ - end to end scenarios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:34:38 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue:

In addition to the various piecemeal scenarios that I have been working on for
the requirements document, I thought that it would be instructive to include at
least a couple of end to end scenarios in order to tie everything together.  I
thought that I would do a couple that sort of represented opposite ends of the
spectrum -- a rather informal, open office environment with a few shared
printers, and a complex print something at a local print shop scenario. The
details of the proposed end to end scenarios follows.  Before I spend a lot of
time, I'd like some feedback -- do you think that this would be helpful?  Do
these scenarios represent some of what we think will be typical uses? I'd be
glad to take input, ideas, etc. before I start work. Please send your cards and
letters.

Scenario #1: An office worker prints on a shared, departmental printer. All
printers in the office are available for office printing, no authorization is
required to print, and no billing or accounting is done. Most printing is done
from standard desktop applications. A help desk is provided to help with print
problems. Standard desktop operating systems are used and drivers for the
printers are available from the support group. However, they are installed
manually by the support group on the client machine. Users  generally are only
interested in finding machines close to their office and only worry about
printer features in very special cases. Most printing is "vanilla" office
printing.

Scenario #2: An executive in his hotel room is finishing an important
presentation on his laptop computer. He connects to a local print shop through
the web to get a copy of his charts printed for tomorrow's presentation. He
must find a shop that is convenient, can print color foils, and he wants to
find the lowest price. He must also temporarily install a driver in order to
generate the PDL required by the print shop. Mutual authentication is required
by the printshop and payment must be made in advance for the job. The job is
encrypted on the wire to prevent eavesdropping.

---

From: [email-masked] (JK Martin)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 17:42 EST

Outstanding work, Roger.  And yes, I think these kinds of "end-to-end"
scenarios can be critically important to see "the big picture" of how
IPP can influence an entire printing system environment.

I'll try to toss in a few more in the coming days.

	...jay

---

From: Babak Jahromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:52:17 -0800

The Microsoft/HP solution for Internet Printing addresses both
scenarios. For the 2nd one, the executive gets a username/password from
the print shop, and enters that when the browser prompts for it. The
browser prompts for password because the print server in the shop is
configured to let only Internet clients with valid, print shop-specific
accounts to get in.

Babak

>-----Original Message-----
>From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent:	Friday, January 17, 1997 2:35 PM
>To:	[email-masked]
>Subject:	IPP>REQ - end to end scenarios
>
>Classification:
>Prologue:
>Epilogue:
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:36:27 -0500

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue:

I was going to do a little more complex scenario, where the print job submittor
is unknown to the print shop, so some kind of authentication is required and
payment is made via credit card or something like that.
---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 01/20/97 06:17
AM ---------------------------

        babakj @ MICROSOFT.com
        01/17/97 08:48 PM

To: ipp @ pwg.org@internet, Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM
cc:
Subject: RE: IPP>REQ - end to end scenarios

Babak