Subject: Re: IPP>PRO - posted white paper and foils

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 03:02:11 -0500

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing out this problem.  I have no idea how the file
become zero-length, but I just uploaded another (48KB) copy of the
PDF version.

Apologies to all for any inconvenience.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Copeland wrote:
> 
> Jay:  It looks like protocol.pdf got clobbered at some point ---
> it's a zero-length file at the moment.

---

From: Alex Bochannek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 07:13:03 PST

Seems like some people have missed this:

> Obviously, I would prefer another mapping like so:
> 
> 6. Mapping to TCP socket.
> 
> To use a TCP connection to transport IPP messages a new port number
> has to be defined. The suggested number to be registered with the IANA
> is NNN. When using this method, an IPP server opens the socket in
> LISTEN mode and a client connects to it with an unused source port in
> the unrestricted range. This socket pair is the unique identifier for
> the connection. Once the connection reaches ESTABLISHED state, it
> transports at least one complete IPP message exchange. One complete
> IPP message exchange is defined by one Request-Message followed by one
> Response-Message. A multi-segment print message is treated as one
> request.  After the exchange the TCP connection can be disconnected by
> the server but should stay up to support further transactions. An idle
> timer of NN minutes must be used to terminate the connection if the
> option of keeping it up is used.

--
Alex Bochannek                 Phone & Fax : +1 408 526 51 91
Senior Network Analyst         Pager       : +1 408 485 90 92
Engineering Services           Alpha Pager : (800) 225-0256 PIN 104536
Cisco Systems, Inc.            Email       : [email-masked]
170 West Tasman Drive, Bldg. E Pager Email : [email-masked]
San Jose, CA 95134-1706, USA