Subject: IPP> Templates

From: "steve gebert Dept:ecg SN:579517 Div:ISM Ext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 14:55:35 MST

I am trying to work out some print scenarios. It seems as though the
first operation a client would want to perform is to ask the print server
what job attributes it can accept, what options are available, and what
the defaults are. Is there any concept of the client requesting the job
template to provide a set of choices to the user? The spec does state that
a client may use a job template associated with a printer to initialize a job.
It is not clear to me if the template could be requested or if it is only
some set of values used as defaults or to constrain user supplied information.
Can someone shed some light on this?

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:16:50 PST

>Can someone shed some light on this?

I suggest that there is at least two cases here:

1) The user does not care, as long as the document gets printed somehow, in
which case the templete provides the administrator chosen defaults for the
destination printer.

2) The user wants to find out the capabilities and defaults for the
destination printer, by downloading a form (or in some other format) which
contains the capability options, with the default values filled in. 

The user can then either:

a) accept all the defaults, or 

b) make modifications (within the possible capability restrictions) and then
send off the print request.

3) A further case may be that the user only downloads the printer capability
information once, and then re-uses that for subsequent submissions (close to
current printing practices using print drivers). A drawback with this
solution is that if capabilities or defaults of the printer change, the
user's stored information will become out-of-date.

Carl-Uno