Subject: IPP> Report from BOF Session on IPP, December 12

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:23:57 -0800

Harald and Keith,

Here is my one paragraph report from yesterday's meeting.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

----
Report from the BOF on Internet Printing Protocol (IPP), December 12,
1:00 - 3:00 p.m.

The meeting was attended by 80 people. Presentations were made of
current requirements, 
current technical draft and proposed WG Charter. The charter called for
the development of 
new MIME types, an application level protocol using these MIME types, a
mapping onto the
current HTTP, and a directory schema for IPP related information plus a
mapping to LDAP for 
that schema. The meeting was almost unanimous in the agreement that a WG
should be formed,
but the IETF Area Directors had some issues with the planned scope.
Several attendants had 
an issue with the use of HTTP as transport mechanism. A better
motivation for why RFC 1179 cannot be enhanced was also requested. The
Area Directors suggested that the group 
reconsiders the scope of the project, before trying to get the approval
as WG.

Carl-Uno Manros
BOF Chair IPP