Subject: IPP> New IPP docs uploaded

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:23:29 -0700

In our last telecon we decided that we should have 3 formal documents
describing IPP instead of the one that we have now.  Carl-Uno and I
were going to get together to decide on names, but we have not done
that yet.  I just picked some names for now, they can change as
suggested by review:

1. The Model and the high level protocol definition (objects, attributes,
etc.) but with no real encoding for the abstact data types.  I have called
this document "Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics".

2. A generic directory schema for Printer objects as defined by the Model
and Semantics document.  This will not have a specific mapping for
LDAP (which will come in some other informational RFC).    I have called
this document "Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Directory Schema".

3. An encoding of the Operations (including the attribute and value
encodings) as defined in the Model and Semantics document.  This will
not have a specific mapping for HTTP POST and GET (this will come in
some other informational RFC).     I have called this document "Internet
Printing Protocol/1.0: MIME Encoding".

I had started to make some edits on the document called ipp94.doc
(which is identical with draft-isaacson-ipp-info-00.txt), then I took that
new document  broke it up into three according to the descriptions
above.  Since Version 9.4 became the real I-D,  I have started these new
documents at Version 1.0.  So I have

Internet Printing Protoco/1.0: Model and Semantics, 12/19/96 Version 1.0
Internet Printing Protoco/1.0: Directory Schema, 12/19/96 Version 1.0
Internet Printing Protoco/1.0: MIME Encoding, 12/19/96 Version 1.0

These documents will now change date and version independently.  I
propose we make sure there is a real date and new version number in
the file name and with the document itself each time a change is made
and posted on the FTP server.

What I have done is propably  not a perfect break up, but I expect that
the sub-teams working on each area can take what I have done and run
with it.  If I have cut too much out for one doc, you can always go back
an yank from either ipp94.doc or even earlier versions).  As I understand
it, I am the editor for the Model and Semantics doc as well as the
Directory Schema doc.  Someone else (Bob H I believe) as the MIME doc. 
We still need to make two more that are not really in scope: LDPA doc (I
assume that I will be editor for this) and HTTP doc (who?).  In order to
create these, I plan to steal from ipp94.doc or start from scratch.

I have uploaded the following:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/contributions-for-discussion/

ipp-directory-1.0-rev.doc              200 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:16:00 1995 
ipp-directory-1.0-rev.pdf              238 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:17:00 1995
ipp-directory-1.0.doc                   60 Kb    Thu Dec 19 21:07:00 1996 
ipp-directory-1.0.pdf                   21 Kb    Thu Dec 19 21:08:00 1996 

ipp-mime-1.0-rev.doc                   198 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:23:00 1995 
ipp-mime-1.0-rev.pdf                   232 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:29:00 1995
ipp-mime-1.0.doc                        71 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:20:00 1995 
ipp-mime-1.0.pdf                        24 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:21:00 1995 

ipp-model-1.0-rev.doc                  228 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:58:00 1995 
ipp-model-1.0-rev.pdf                  192 Kb    Wed Dec 20 17:01:00 1995
ipp-model-1.0.doc                      243 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:37:00 1995 
ipp-model-1.0.pdf                      111 Kb    Wed Dec 20 16:59:00 1995 

Merry Christmas to all!

************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked]
W: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************