Subject: IPP> Use of HTML forms

From: "Scott A. Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:04:03 -0700

As I read back through some of the email discussion on how to "encode
IPP" into some transport or other underlying protocol, I have seen some
talk about the use of forms.  

Where is there documentation on forms?  Is there an RFC?  Has anyone
started to write up the document that describes the encoding of current
IPP semantics using HTML forms?  It is easier to discuss something if
there is some concrete proposal to review.

Below  are some comments that I have pulled out of earlier emails.

************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Print Services Consulting Engineer
Novell Inc., 122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
V: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
F: (801) 861-4025, E: [email-masked]
W: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************

Roger D.  writes:
However, I am still convinced, after my study today, that we
do not want to use html and forms as the mechanism to generate IPP
requests on the client side. I believe that this is fraught with problems
and will constrain future extendabilty of the standard -- or at best require
awkward and difficult to understand and parse constructs to provide all
of the function we might want in IPP over time.

Bob H. writes:
If one of the formats returned is HTML form, you get what you want, a
collection of attributes, a default value, and many attributes with a list of
potential values. In the HTML form, the default value need not be the
first.

---

From: Jeff Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:36:21 -0500

Scott A. Isaacson wrote:
> IPP" into some transport or other underlying protocol, I have seen 
> some talk about the use of forms.
> 
> started to write up the document that describes the encoding of 
> current IPP semantics using HTML forms?  It is easier to discuss 
> something if there is some concrete proposal to review.
> 

I happened to find the proposed HTML 3.2 Reference Specification
yesterday at http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/PR-html32-961105

Forms are documented within it at
    http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/PR-html32-961105#form   and
    http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/PR-html32-961105#fields

/Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------