Subject: IPP> Comments on BOF Presentation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 15:24:39 CST

Carl-Uno, I have read Don's presentation for the BOF.  Are there other BOF
presentations we should review for the telecon on 12/4 and, if so, where
are these presentations located?

Don, Thanks for doing the presentation on requirements.  Here are my comments.

Roles and Tasks (chart #2)

1.  Under the End-User bullet, "Finding and location ..." should be "Finding
    and locating ..."
1.1 Under the End-User bullet, please change "Viewing the status of a printer
    ..." to "Viewing the status of a printer and its jobs ...".  I realize
    that a list of jobs is implied by the status of a printer but it might be
    helpful to the audience/readers to see this explicitly stated in the text.
2.  Under the End-User bullet, please add a sub-bullet "Cancelling their own
    own print job".  The requirements document indicates this function is
    supported for "end-users".
3.  Under the End-User bullet, please add a sub-bullet "Alerting due to job
    conditions (job completion or job error) and printer error conditions".
    This is supported by the notification-events attribute in the IPP draft.
4.  Under the End-User bullet, do we need to add a sub-bullet for "Modifying
    their own print job"?  We might get asked why a user cannot modify the
    attributes (e.g. number of copies) of a submitted print job before it
    prints since the major NOS support this capability today.  If we add this
    bullet, we must state that this function is not supported in IPP 1.0 on
    chart #3.
5.  Under the Administrator bullet, please add a sub-bullet "Configuration of
    the print subsystem including creation of printer objects".
6.  Under the Administrator bullet, please add a sub-bullet "Access control".
    I view authorization as the act of assigning the role of "end-user",
    "operator" and "administrator" to each user while access control controls
    who can print on the printer (e.g. "end-users" barney and betty can print
    on a printer but "end-users" fred and wilma cannot print on the printer).

Technical (chart #3)

7.  Please change the title from "Technical" to "Objectives for IPP 1.0".  I
    believe that's the purpose of this chart as it relates to the requirements
    document.
8.  Please change bullet "Operator Requirements (Initially)" to "Supports the
    tasks for an End-User".  Since the title reflects "IPP 1.0", I don't think
    there is a need to state "(Initially)".
9.  Under the "Firewalls" bullet, please change "Protocols must ... firewalls
    so enabled" to "Protocols must ... firewalls where enabled by the firewall
    administrator".  This is consistent with the wording in the requirements
    document.

Thanks,

Keith