Subject: Suggestion for pwg and ipp web pages

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:43:10 PST

Patrick,

Thanks for volunteering to do PWG and IPP web pages.

It would be good to have a list of related rfcs for the printer MIB and
for the ipp standard.  We all have a lot of homework to do in studying
these other RFCs.  An interesting question is how can additions RFCs
be contributed?  Could there be a mail checkbox in which any PWG member
could contribute an additional RFC with a brief description?  Probably,
that is too fancy for the first go around.  So we should probably just
mail you with the RFC reference and one line descriptions.

How should the related RFCs be grouped?  So far, I think that there
are the following categories of RFCs that relate to IPP:

   HTTP
   LDAP
   security

The PWG page should be an umbrella page, listing the four activities of the
PWG which each have their own home pages:

   Printer MIB (PMP)
   Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)
   Job Monitoring MIB (JMP)
   SENSE

Lower priority would be to also have a Job Monitoring MIB (JMP) web page
and a SENSE web page.

I've started such a sub-directory on the PWG server, called
http-related-rfcs, but a web page with a sentence or two about each related
rfc and a pointer 
to the source, rather than copying, would be great.

Jay,

Or should we copy them to your server, to improve response but take up space?

Patrick,

Thanks for doing this,
Tom Hastings

---

From: [email-masked] (JK Martin)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 20:59 EST

Tom,

> rfc and a pointer to the source, rather than copying, would be great.
> 
> Jay,
> 

Let's not copy any document or similar resource unless there is some
absolutely compelling reason to do so.

For web pages, just insert the URL reference.

For the current ftp situation, I am very much *against* copying those
files onto the PWG server.  Instead, a "readme.related-rfcs" file should
be created (and maintained!) that allows folks to pull down the entire
list, then go to the appropriate ftp server (or whatever) to fetch the
desired documents.

A word of warning here, Tom.  We are not about to let the PWG file server
get out of control as badly as when it was hosted by HP.  The existing
state of the file structuring of the old PWG documentation is an utter
mess.  Let's not allow the IPP (or any other project, for that matter)
fall into this trap.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------