Subject: SVRLOC vs. LDAP for printer location services

From: [email-masked] (JK Martin)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 96 20:28 EST

Which protocol to employ for the purpose of locating printers will be
crucial to the real-world deployment of our implementations.

I've scanned both SVRLOC and LDAP.  While SVRLOC would probably be
easier to use and implement, one can not ignore the avalanche of
support that has been building for LDAP over the last few months.

Now that Netscape has essentially acquired the original LDAP team (or
most of the key players anyway) and has made directory services a top
priority at Netscape, it seems that playing in the LDAP arena would
have the most long-term potential for us.

I intend to stay on top of this issue as time goes on, given that my
SENSE activities also deal with directory services.  (Our current
thinking, though, is that LDAP is way too limited when compared with
the SENSE requirements, at least for now.  Could be that we use LDAP
to locate SENSE servers, though.)

Just my penny's worth on this topic.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------