Subject: IPP> RE: draft-isaacson-ipp-info-00.txt

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 15:44:52 PST

Alex,

thanks for your comments and suggestions concerning this draft. There is
another related draft describing the requirements for this project under the
name:

        draft-wright-ipp-req-00.txt

We are scheduled to have a BOF session in San Jose on Thursday, December 12
at 1:00 - 3:00 pm.  If you can make it there, you will meet the authors and
various other people who have been involved with the project so far. 

We are trying to get this established as a formal WG soon after the San Jose
meeting.

We already have a mailing list set up and you are welcome to join it, see
details below.

The following text is a draft proposal to the IETF for our WG charter.  It
should contain all the info you need to get started.

---

IETF Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) WG

Chair(s):
        Carl-Uno Manros   <[email-masked]>
 
Applications Area Director(s): 
        Keith Moore        <[email-masked]>
        Harald Alvestrand  <[email-masked]>
 
Area Advisor:
        TBD

Mailing List Information:
        General Discussion: <[email-masked]>
        To Subscribe:       <[email-masked]>
        Archive:            ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/

Editor:
        Scott Isaacson      <[email-masked]>
 
Description of Working Group:

Internet printing involves using Internet technologies and services 
to find networked resources, such as printers, and then submit jobs
using those resources.  

The goal of this working group is to define a new application level 
distributed printing protocol as well as defining naming and service 
registration attributes for printing.  The protocol shall support a 
global, distributed environment where print service users (clients, 
applications, drivers, etc.) cooperate and interact with print service 
providers (servers, printers, gateways, etc.). 

The working group will leverage existing (and emerging) technologies 
for: authentication, authorization, privacy, and commercial transactions. 
For location of printers, the working group will leverage existing 
standards for directories.

The working group shall strive to coordinate its activities with other 
printing-related standards bodies.

The new job submission protocol should strive not to preclude any 
types of output devices (e.g., fax, printer, gateway).  Also, the 
working group will define extensibility paths to maximize interoperability 
and minimize conflict.

The Internet Printing Protocol will be designed to make use of Web 
browsers, HTTP, and LDAP for directory look-ups. 

The Internet Printing Protocol is intended to supplant RFC 1179 'Line 
Printer Daemon Protocol' as the preferred printing protocol. LPR/LPD 
was designed a long time ago with line printers in mind and does not 
fit with current needs.

Deliverables and Milestones:

Done -          Mailing list and archive

November 1996 - Submit first set of Internet-Drafts
	
December 1996 - BOF in IETF meeting in San Jose, CA, USA

March 1997 -    Submit Internet-Drafts

April 1997 -    Review of specification in IETF meeting in Memphis, TN, USA

May 1997 -      At least 2 implemented prototypes

May 1997 -      Submit document(s) to the IESG for Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

   IPP-requirements:  draft-wright-ipp-req-00.txt
   IPP-draft:         draft-isaacson-ipp-info-00.txt

----

Regards,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231
El Segundo, CA 90245, USA
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Alex Bochannek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 16:51:11 PST

OK, I subscribed. Just hope I won't get inundated with mail ;-) And
for the record, my interest in printing has (almost) nothing to do
with my work at Cisco.

In case people haven't seen my comments, here we go:

- I don't see any references to fan-fold paper anywhere.

- It appears there is currently no suppurt fo accounting. One can
  certainly argue that this is a function of security which you say
  will be addressed later.

- How do you plan to support color calibration and other features like
  what is provided through PPD files?

- I suspect that PostScript printing control (like spooling, status
  queries, etc.) are not supported as part of the PostScript
  Content-Type, right? It probably should be spelled out.

--
Alex Bochannek                 Phone & Fax : +1 408 526 51 91
Senior Network Analyst         Pager       : +1 408 485 90 92
Engineering Services           Alpha Pager : (800) 225-0256 PIN 104536
Cisco Systems, Inc.            Email       : [email-masked]
170 West Tasman Drive, Bldg. E Pager Email : [email-masked]
San Jose, CA 95134-1706, USA