Subject: IPP Agenda for Teleconference - Wednesday November 13

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:40:14 PST

The IPP project decided to hold telephone conferences weekly (almost) on
Wednesdays, 1 - 3 pm PST, 4 - 6 EST.  The first one is coming up this week.

To connect to the conference you dial:

         (423) 544 0905, when prompted enter access code: 114698

My suggestion for Agenda topics this Wednesday:

- Review IPP Minutes from New Orleans
- Review IPP Charter from New Orleans 
        (expect an improved version by Wednesday morning)
- Check on progress of home work assignments:
        - Subset of DPA attributes to be used as job and printer attributes
        - Schemas for Directory information about printing
        - Service Location protocol or LDAP mappings
  (unfortunately, the minutes do not reflect who volonteered for which home
work  assignment, but let your concience tell you. Please distribute any
results to the DL in advance)
- Discuss Agenda for the IETF BOF - Needs to go out after this phone conference
        (see earlier agenda proposal that I sent to IETF)
- Discuss TOC and level of detail for the Internet Draft document

If you think that I have left anything important out, drop a message to the
DL ASAP.

Speak to you soon,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231
El Segundo, CA 90245, USA
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Raymond Lutz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:02:31 -0800

Hi Carl-Uno:

On the teleconference:

I think it would be appropriate to discuss potention overlap of the ipp
charter with the ietf-fax charter. Both charters are open for discussion at
this time. I would prefer to see a joint effort in a merge-purge operation
of these things, and perhaps we can see some important issues that will
benefit both projects and decide on who will handle these.

-Raymond

/***********************************************************************
** Raymond Lutz                             Voice: 619-447-3246
** Director R & D, Cognisys, Inc.           Fax:   619-447-6872 
** MFPA EC Chair                            MFPA:  1-800-603-MFPA
** 1010 Old Chase Ave., Suite B             EMail: [email-masked]
** El Cajon (San Diego Co.), CA 92020 USA   
** WWW:   http://www.cognisys.com           http://www.mfpa.org
***********************************************************************/

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:07:54 PST

>benefit both projects and decide on who will handle these.
Ray,

time permitting, we can start discussing that subject too, but I would like
to have some written input from you that we can discuss around.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:52:57 -0500

I suggest that the discussion of IETF-FAX/IPP overlap be limited to 
     the observation, reflected by Dave Crocker, that there appears to be 
     no overlap at this time, but that we will continue to be aware the 
     each other's efforts via the public mail lists.
     
     Although I share Raymond's apprehension with regard to the potential 
     overlap, the paths taken by the two groups seem to have avoided this. 
     IPP is concerned with the more elemental process of printing, 
     specifically of discovery, delivery and denouement (ok..its a 
     stretch). IETF-FAX is concerned with ... FAX, which is a more complex 
     process and for which no reasonable definition has emerged.
     
     The service models in the IETF_FAX charter are:
        A: Messaging, apparently email delivery of encapsulated 
     'traditional' fax: no overlap
        B: Session-based, for observed delivery, with or without 
     capabilities negotiation, and for which some have suggested LDPA may 
     be appropriate. But there is still the notion of encapsulating a 
     'traditional' fax transmission
        C. Real-time, for telephone replacement and transparent to existing
     fax machines, to which there certainly seems no overlap.

     The printing/internet and the FAX/Email  groups  each have enough of a 
     task in resolving the disparate cultures within themselves without 
     attempting an all-inclusive approach from the start.
     
     Bill Wagner, DPI

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: IPP Agenda for Teleconference - Wednesday November 13
Author:  Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]> at Internet
Date:    11/13/96 9:07 AM

Ray,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231