Subject: IPP Prototyping

From: "steve gebert Dept:ecg SN:579517 Div:ISM Ext" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 08:14:37 MST

Hi, I am working with Roger at IBM with the responsibility of
    modeling and prototyping elements of the IPP. The initial
    efforts will be to help us refine our understanding of the
    protocol and provide useful feedback to the group. The
    prototyping will hopefully evolve into a test-bed that will
    allow us to experiment with different implementations
    and guide future printer product development.

    As a precursor to prototyping, I have started on an object model
    to describe a printing system (clients and servers). Much of it
    is an elaboration of the IPP document to a level that will permit
    prototyping. I have chosen Rumbaugh's OMT methodology, or at least
    notation, in which to develop and describe the model. I expect that
    most of my prototying will be in Java.

    I am interested in ideas that other members of the group have
    regarding prototyping and will volunteer to coordinate efforts
    for discussions among those responsible for prototyping or providing
    input into prototyping at the various companies. Please let me know
    if there is interest in this. I can be contacted through this
    forum, by email at [email-masked] or at (303)-924-5661. Thanks.