Subject: IPP> Tips for making plain text files for IETF from WORD .doc files

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 22:28:32 PST

At 17:04 11/22/96 PST, Scott A. Isaacson wrote:
...

>The .txt file was my attempt at using Generic/Text print driver. It didn't
>work.  Don, could you clarify what styles you used and how you got it to
>work?  If someone could take the .doc file and try to make it the correct
>.txt file, please try it and let me know.
>

In addition to installing a generic text printer driver, here are the
additional steps to producing a simple text file from a WORD document
that meets the IETF rules of 7-bit ASCII, no control characters, except
CRLF to end lines and FF to end pages, 72-characters per line.

0. Define styles to leave 12 points after so that the printer driver will
put a blank line after each paragraph.
1. Turn off marking revisions marks while editing (first box) Tools/revisions
2. Accept all revisions
3. Turn off line numbers: File/page setup/page layout tab/line numbers
4. Remove all bold text, else the generic text printer driver will try
to overstrike with a single CR and repeat the line.
5. Don't use tab leader in the table of contents; else it overprints lines with
CR
6. Use Courier New as the font throughout.  Set Size to 10 point.
7. You may have to change the styles for the table of contents to force
to Courier New 10 point.
8. Make sure margins are 6 inches wide, so that 10 point (12 characters per
inch), make 72 characters per line.
9. Make headers and footers look the way the IETF likes in RFCs and IDs.
10. Print to file with the generic text print driver.

Tom