Subject: Draft for IETF IPP WG

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:04:41 PST

Below is my attempt to produce a draft for the IETF charter that is short
and general enough. I have taken out most of the details that concerns
requirements and have tried to take Harald's earlier comments into account.
Let us review this version in our Wednesday phone conference. If you want
things added, please also suggest what you want to remove instead, as this
is about the right amount of text that Harald declared that he is willing to
accept.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

---

(DRAFT 11/18/96)

IETF Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) WG

Chair(s):
	Carl-Uno Manros    <[email-masked]>
 
Applications Area Director(s): 
	Keith Moore  	   <[email-masked]>
	Harald Alvestrand  <[email-masked]>
 
Area Advisor:
        TBD

Mailing List Information: 
	General Discussion: <[email-masked]>
	To Subscribe:	    <[email-masked]>
	Archive:	    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/

Editor:
	Scott Isaacson      <[email-masked]>
 
Description of Working Group:

Internet printing involves using Internet technologies and services 
to find networked resources such as printers and shared documents and 
then printing using those resources.  

The goal of this working group is to define a new application level 
distributed printing protocol as well as defining naming and service 
registration attributes for printing.  The protocol shall support a 
global, distributed environment where print service users (clients, 
applications, drivers, etc.) cooperate and interact with print service 
providers (servers, printers, gateways, etc.). 

The working group shall leverage existing (and emerging) technologies 
for: authentication, authorization, privacy, and commercial transactions. 
For location of printers, the working group shall leverage existing 
standards for directories and emerging standards for service location.
The working group shall coordinate its activities with other 
printing-related standards bodies.

The working group shall define solutions that do not preclude the 
notion of multi-tiered configurations consisting of both logical and 
physical printers.  Also, the new job submission protocol should not 
preclude submitting jobs to any type of output device (e.g., fax, 
printer, gateway).  Also, the working group shall define extensibility 
paths so that similar extensions will interoperate and proprietary, 
dissimilar extensions will never conflict.

This working group may define work that will replace RFC 1179 'Line 
Printer Daemon Protocol'.  LPR/LPD was designed a long time ago with 
line printers in mind. It does not fit with current page oriented 
printing technologies.

Deliverables and Milestones:

Done
	Mailing list and archive

November 1996 - Submit first set of Internet-Drafts
	
December 1996 - BOF in IETF meeting in San Jose, CA, USA

March 1997 - Submit Internet-Drafts

April 1997 - Review of specification in IETF meeting in Memphis, TN, USA

May 1997 - At least 2 implemented protypes

May 1997 - Submit document to the IESG for Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

   No Current Internet-Drafts
Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231
El Segundo, CA 90245, USA
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Don Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Nov 96 11:03:45 EST

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) We really must include somewhere in the charter that we
will be relying on WEB Browsers, HTTP, etc. for much of
the underlying plumbing.

2) I think the sentence on "multi-tiered configurations" can be
removed since it is covered in the requirements document
and is not mainstream to the goals.

Don

To: ipp%pwg.org @ interlock.lexmark.com @ SMTP
cc:  (bcc: Don Wright)
From: cmanros%cp10.es.xerox.com @ interlock.lexmark.com (Carl-Uno Manros) @ SMTP
Date: 11/18/96 07:04:41 PM
Subject: Draft for IETF IPP WG

Regards,

Carl-Uno

---

(DRAFT 11/18/96)

Chair(s):

Area Advisor:
        TBD

Editor:

Done
 Mailing list and archive

Internet-Drafts:

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Wagner)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:06:10 -0500

Some reactions to the draft:

     I thought that finding shared documents, as identified in the first 
     sentence, would be left to other web-oriented groups and that IPP was 
     concerned with locating and using output devices. Since the statement 
     says that locating shared documents is part of internet printing, it 
     suggests that it is part of the IPP project. I would suggest dropping 
     the reference to shared documents.
     
     I did not expect the strong statement with regard to authentication, 
     authorization, etc. Is this regarded as primary (shall) to the group's 
     activities?
     
     I was surprised by the very tentative "may define work that will 
     replace RFC 1159". I thought this was a definite objective and one 
     with which IP printing users could identify. 
     
     Bill Wagner, DPI

______________________________

(DRAFT 11/18/96)

Chair(s):

Area Advisor:
        TBD

Editor:

Done
        Mailing list and archive

Internet-Drafts:

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:14:14 PST

I have had a number of suggestions on how to improve on the Draft IETF
Charter text that I circulated.  By the end of today, I will produce a new
version which attempts to take these comments into account, so that we can
review a better text in tomorrow's phone conference. Please send further
comments today if you want them included in the new version.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd.
M/S: ESAE-231