Subject: FIN> New Definitions for the MIB Document

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:08:14 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Here are the additions to the Terminology section based upon Barry
Mandel's submission on April 6th.  I have made some minor editing changes.
I have indicates the areas that should be discussed next week.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

2.1  General Terminology

     <existing text in terminology section, except intro paragraph>

2.2  Process Specific Terminology

  FOLDING:

  Z Fold:  A fold in which two folds are placed in the sheet in opposite 
    directions.  The first fold is located at 25% of the sheet length, 
    and the second is located at 50% of the sheet length (i.e., the 
    center of the sheet).  Z Folding is often used on 11x17 inch or A3 
    size sheets, when they are included in sets containing 8.5x11 inch 
    or A4 size sheets.

  Half Fold:  To fold a sheet in half so that one of the resulting 
    dimensions are exactly half the original sheet.  Often used for 
    signatures or booklets.

  Letter Fold:  Folding a sheet roughly in thirds.  Usually performed on 
    8.5x11 inch or A4 size sheets for insertion into an envelope.

  Nesting:  The process of inserting sheets into other sheets that are 
    being folded.  For example, nesting a brochure inside a letter in 
    preparation for mailing.
**** ISSUE:  Is this definition applicable?
**********************************************************************

  Signature:  The process by which images are placed on a large sheet of 
    paper in correct panel areas and in the proper orientation such that 
    when the sheet is folded it will produce a booklet with each page in 
    the proper order and orientation.
**** ISSUE: Used in other definitions.  Keep?
**********************************************************************

  BINDING:

  Adhesive Binding:  A method of attaching sheets together to form a 
    book or booklet using glue or adhesive.  Some adhesive binding 
    methods apply the glue to sheets individually, before merging them 
    together for form a book, but most methods involve the application 
    of adhesive to an entire book of sheets.

  Comb Binding:  A method of binding in which a series of small 
    rectangular holes is placed along the bind edge the sheets.  The 
    sheets are then held together using a tube shaped plastic binding 
    strip with comb like fingers that fit through the holes in the 
    sheets.

  Spiral Binding:  Sometimes referred to as wire binding, this binding 
    method is a mechanical bind in which the individual leaves are held 
    together by a wire or plastic spiral that is fed through small holes 
    in the paper binding edge.

  Padding:  Applying a non-penetrating adhesive to the edge of a stack 
    of sheets such that the sheets can be easily peeled off one at a 
    time.  Frequently used for forms.

  Velo Binding:  A bind formed by punching holes into the edge of the 
    sheets, placing a two piece plastic strip (one side formed with 
    plastic pins that pass through the holes) along the edge and then 
    staking the two pieces together.

  Perfect Binding:  A method of binding in which all pages are cut and 
    roughed up at the back or binding edge and held together by an 
    adhesive.

  Tape Binding:  The act of placing tape over the bind edge of a set.  
    Sometimes contains adhesive to provide a functional bind to the set, 
    and sometimes done for decorative purposes on a set that has been 
    edge stapled.

**** New enums:
    adhesive(9)
    comb(10)
    padding(11)
**********************************************************************

**** ISSUE: There is no definition for plastic(5).
**********************************************************************

  SLITTING/CUTTING/TRIMMING:

**** ISSUE: Present labels only refer to Slitting.  Should they be 
changed to SlittingCutting or SlittingCuttingTrimming?
**********************************************************************

  Trim:  To cut the edges of a sheet or set of sheets.   Often performed 
    on a booklet of sheets that have been folded to eliminate the 
    "creep" or edge shingling that results from the folding 
    process.

  Tab Cutting:  The act of cutting the edge of a sheet to form an index 
    tab, thereby allowing quick identification and access.  The external 
    tabs are sequentially placed along the book edge for visibility and 
    ease of grasping.

  Perforating:  The act of cutting a series of very small, closely 
    spaced holes or slots into a sheet to allow for ease of separation 
    of a portion of the sheet.  Sometimes also used to ease 
    bending/hinging of heavy weight papers.

  Scoring:  A means of applying small linear grooves or impressions 
    along a sheet to allow easy folding.   Often used on heavy weight 
    sheets and book covers.

  Slitting:  The action of cutting apart a large sheet to form smaller 
    sheets.  Usually done using a sharp circular roll system.

**** New enums:
    trim(6)
    tabCut(7)
    perforate(8)
**********************************************************************

**** No definitions for slitAndSeparate(4) and slitAndMerge(5)
**********************************************************************

**** Is a generic slit(3) and cut(9) required?
**********************************************************************

  STITCHING/STAPLING:

  Staple:  The process of binding a set of sheets together using a 'U' 
    shaped piece of metal wire that is punched through the set. The ends 
    of the metal staple are then bent over, or 'clinched' to hold the 
    staple in place.   Technically the term 'stapler' refers to devices 
    that use pre-cut metal staples, but the term is also commonly used 
    to refer to devices that use wire spools and then cut/form the 
    staple. (see the definition of Stitch)

  Stitch:  The process of binding a set of sheets together using a 'U' 
    shaped piece of metal wire that is punched through the set.  The 
    wire used to form the staple is cut and formed into a 'U' shape in 
    the stitcher head, and the staple 'leg' length is often varied 
    depending on the number of sheets to be bound together.  The ends of 
    the metal staple are bent over, or 'clinched' to hold the staple in 
    place. 

    Stitching can also refer to the process of sewing the edges of the 
    signatures of a book together.

  Active Clinch:  A method of folding over the legs of a staple using a 
    moving clinch mechanism.  Active clinching results in a flat clinch.

  Passive Clinch:  Sometimes called an anvil clinch, a method of folding 
    over the legs of a staple using a curved shaped forming plate.  
    Passive clinching results in a curved shaped staple leg that does 
    not lay flat to the set.

  Bypass Clinch:  A type of clinch in which the legs of the staple are 
    bent over with a slight offset relative to one another.  The method 
    allows long staples to be used on small sets without staple leg 
    interference after clinching.

  Saddle Stitch:  The process of stapling a set along its center line as 
    part of a booklet making process.   Usually 2 or 3 staples are used.

  Landscape Single Stapling:  The process of placing a single staple in 
    the upper left hand corner of a set that has an image orientation 
    such that the sheets are viewed in Landscape position.

**** ISSUE: This definition does not fit with our current enums.  Is 
this definition required?
**********************************************************************

  Portrait Single Stapling:  The process of placing a single staple in 
    the upper left hand corner of a set that has an image orientation 
    such that the sheets are viewed in Portrait position.

**** ISSUE: This definition does not fit with our current enums.  Is 
this definition required?
**********************************************************************

  Dual Stapling:  The process of placing 2 staples along the bind edge 
    of a set.   The staples are typically located at 25% and 75% of the 
    length of the bind edge.   Although dual stapling is often performed 
    on the long edge of a set, legal documents are frequently dual 
    stapled along the top, or short edge of the set.

  Triple Stapling:  Same as above, but using 3 staples along the bind 
    edge, and usually applies to the long edge only.

**** New enums:  dualStaple(11) and tripleStaple(12)
**********************************************************************
**** ISSUE: The placement for these staple operations can be top, 
bottom, left or right.  8 enums could be added to define all 
combinations, which seems rather awkward, or use the finAxisOrientation 
and finAxisOffset attributes to provide this position information.
**********************************************************************

WRAPPING:

  Shrink Wrap:  A wrap of thin plastic which when heated will shrink and 
    wrap tightly around the stack thus preparing it for shipment.

  Band Wrap:  Bundling a finished stack to prepare for shipment.  Also 
    known as Strap Wrap.

**** New enum:  bandWrap(6)
**********************************************************************

**** ISSUE:  There is no definition of paperWrap(5)
**********************************************************************

****
Punching definitions were really the punch hole pattern and hole size 
parameters.  These were added in the 02 draft.

****
Stack definitions are not applicable.  These functions are already in 
the Printer MIB and are not a part of the Finisher MIB.

...END