Subject: FIN> New MIB Section "Finishing Specifications"

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:14:11 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

I have drafted a proposed addition to the Finisher MIB titled "Finishing
Specifications".  This would become section 5.  (The dimensions in the
table will be added later.)

There is also a new attribute included in this proposal.

Please review and comment.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

FINISHING SPECIFICATIONS:

   The Finisher MIB is able to provide most of the information that is 
   required to generate a Finishing Specification.  This includes;

   1. Finishing operations that can be performed on media that are
      associated with a specific printer media path and output subunit.

   2. Combinations of operations that cannot be performed.

   3. The location of the operation on the medium, if applicable.

   4. The physical characteristics of the result of the operation.
      For example, the size and shape of a punched hole, or if a fold 
      operation creates a letter fold or a "Z" fold.

   The Finisher MIB does not provide information regarding the order 
   that operations can be performed.

Multiple finDeviceTable Entries:

   Each finishing operation supported by the printer is represented by 
   one or more entries in the finDeviceTable.  Each entry in this table
   defines a "logical" finishing device, since the function of several
   table entries may be performed by a single finisher mechanism.
   Multiple entries may also exist in the table as a result of the 
   existence of multiple finisher mechanisms that perform the same type 
   of operation.

   One example of possible multiple entries for a single finisher 
   device, is a hole punch operation that creates more than one hole. 
   This could be performed using a single die punch that moves to each 
   required position or a multi-die punch that simultaneously creates 
   all holes.  In either case, each defined hole position may be defined 
   as a separate table entry.  

   In both cases, if the punch positions can be individually selected, 
   a table entry for each position would be necessary.

   For the multi-die punch, each head mechanism may have a different 
   hole pattern or size.  If these differences are to be properly 
   disclosed, a table entry for each head mechanism would be required.

Implicit Parameters:

   Finishing operations that are specified by an enum define a 
   standard operation and in many cases an implicit set of physical 
   characteristics is to be included when specifying the enum.  If 
   explicit values for these characteristics are not provided in the 
   attributes table, the values defined in this section are to be 
   implied.

   FinPunchPatternTC:
   -----------------

   enum pattern       | pos.| X Finishing Axis | Y Finishing Axis
   -------------------+-----+------------------+-------------------
   twoHoleUS(4)       |  1  | 
                      |  2  |
   threeHoleUS(5)     |  1  |
                      |  2  |
                      |  3  |
   twoHoleMetric(6)   |  1  |
                      |  2  |
   fourHoleMetric(7)  |  1  |
                      |  2  |
                      |  3  |
                      |  4  |
   twentyTwoHoleUS(8) |  1  |
      (see note 1)    | ... |
                      | 22  |
   nineteenHoleUS(9)  |  1  |
      (see note 2)    | ... |
                      | 19  |

   Notes:
      1. The hole to hole spacing for the 22 hole punch is XXX inches.
      2. The hole to hole spacing for the 19 hole punch is XXX inches.

   FinPunchHoleTypeTC, punchHoleSizeMaxDim, punchHoleSizeMinDim:
   ------------------------------------------------------------

   enum pattern       | pos.| Hole Type | Max Dim   | Min Dim
   -------------------+-----+-----------+-----------+--------------
   twoHoleUS(4)       | all | round(3)  |
   threeHoleUS(5)     | all | round(3)  |
   twoHoleMetric(6)   | all | round(3)  |
   fourHoleMetric(7)  | all | round(3)  |
   twentyTwoHoleUS(8) | all | round(3)  |
   nineteenHoleUS(9)  | all | rectang(6)|

New Attribute:
-------------

  finisherOperationCombinationRestrictions    Integer32
     INTEGER:  Defines the finDeviceIndex of a finishing operation
       which cannot be combined with the operation define be the 
       finDeviceIndex for this finDeviceAttributeTable instance.