Subject: FIN> Additional Text Proposed for Section 2 (Terminology)

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:02:59 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

I have drafted the following text to be added to section 2 of the Finisher
MIB document.  This is based upon the DPA definitions.

Please review and comment.  I will include this information in the next
update of the document.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

                         ^ Y
                         |
                         |<---- 'Y' Reference Edge
                         |
                         |  |<--- 'Y' Finishing Operation Axis
                         |  |
                     --->|  |<--- 'Y' Finishing Axis Offset
                         |  |
       Head              +-------------------------+ (X2, Y4)
       Locations         |  |                      |
                   +-----|----+                    |
          -----Y3--|-----|--O | <--- Head          |
          ^        +-----|----+      Mechanism     |
          |              |  |                      |
          |              |  |                      |
          |              |  |                      |
          |              |  |                      |
          |        +-----|----+    'X' Finishing   |
          | ---Y2--|-----|--O |------------------  |
          | ^      +-----|----+    Operation Axis  |
          | |            |  |                      |
          | |            |  |                      |
          | |            |  |                      |
          | |            |  |                      |
          | |      +-----|----+                    |
          | | -Y1--|-----|--O |                    |
          | | ^    +-----|----+        lower right | 
          | | |          |  |               corner |    X
         --------------- +--+----------------------+ ---->
                     (0,0)  (X1, 0)    'X' Reference Edge

           Figure 1  -  Finishing Operation Parameters

Media Orientation:  All Finishing Operations are defined relative to a 
portrait orientation of the medium, regardless of the orientation of 
the printed image.  The 'X' and 'Y' axis, therefore, will always 
reference the medium as shown in figure 1.  All edges and corners are 
also defined with the medium orientation as shown using the syntax 
upper, lower, left, and right.  Thus the lower edge of the medium is at 
Y = 0, the left edge is at X = 0, and the lower right corner is at 
(X1, 0) as shown in the figure.

Finishing:  Defined by DPA as an operation on a document following the 
completion of the image process and prior to the delivery of the 
document into the output subunit.  Finishing operations defined within 
this document are those applied to one or more instances of rectagular 
paper sheet media.

Finishing Operation:  Defined by DPA as a process applied by a machine 
such as trimming a document, folding the sheets in a document, and 
applying a binding to a document.

Finishing Specification:  Defined by DPA as the specific sequence of 
operations for a serial combination of finishing operations.  The 
exact sequential order of the operations, in many cases, is critical to
the obtaining the desired result.  For example, a folding operation 
followed by trimming could provide a very different result than if the 
trimming was followed by the folding.

Finishing Operation Parameters:  This parameter set is used to create a  
detailed definition of the finishing operation.  Generic Finishing 
Operation Parameters are applicable to any Finishing Specification.  

   Head Mechanism:  Defined by DPA as the physical mechanism that is 
   used to perform a finishing operation.  The head position may be 
   fixed or variable depending upon the capabilities of the device.

   Reference Edge:  Defined by DPA as the edge of the document relative 
   to the axis to which the finishing operation is applied.  The edge of
   the medium defined to be the Reference Edge may be either the 'X' or 
   the 'Y' axis, depending upon the finishing operation to be performed.

   Finishing Operation Axis:  Defined by DPA as the axis to which some 
   finishing operations are applied to or referenced from by the Head 
   Mechanism.  An example is the axis for a fold operation.

   Head Locations:  Defined by DPA as the position of the Heads on the 
   Finishing Operation Axis.

   Finishing Axis Offset:  The offset from the Reference Edge to the 
   Finishing Operation Axis at which the finishing operation takes place 
   or is applied.

   Jog Edge:  Defined by DPA as one of the two edges that are 
   perpendicular to the Reference Edge.  Specification of the Jog Edge
   parameter implies that the edges of all the sheets that correspond to 
   the referenced edge coincide.

Two-Stage Finishing:  DPA defines this process as sequences of explicit
finishing operations to be applied on two stages.  The first stage 
operations are applied to each document within a job that contains 
several documents.  The second stage operations are applied to each set
of documents that compose a complete job copy.

NEW ATTRIBUTES RELATED TO ABOVE:
-------------------------------

finishingOperationOffsetUnits(9),     INETGER
   INTEGER:  An enumeration which defines the units of measure for the 
     attributes finishingOperationAxisOffsetX and 
     finishingOperationAxisOffsetY.  The enum values for this attribute 
     are defined by PrtMediaUnitTC.

FinishingOperationAxisOffsetX(10),    Integer32
   INTEGER:  Defines the offset of the Finishing Operation Axis from the 
     Reference Edge on the 'X' axis.  The units of measure are defined 
     by the attribute finishingOperationOffsetUnits.

FinishingOperationAxisOffsetY(11),    Integer32
   INTEGER:  Defines the offset of the Finishing Operation Axis from the 
     Reference Edge on the 'Y' axis.  The units of measure are defined 
     by the attribute finishingOperationOffsetUnits.