Subject: FIN> Open Issues and Current Document Status

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:01:06 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Here are some notes and points for discussion next week.

Open issues for the finisher MIB project not listed in the MIB:

1.  The method to be used to define the media input for a finisher (e.g. 
    covers) was discussed but not resolved in the December meeting.  I
    will keep the finSupplyMediaInputTable from the previous revision 
    in the document until this issue is resolved.

2.  What is to be the relationship between the printer MIB and the 
    finisher MIB?  

	One document?
	Finisher MIB an extension of the Printer MIB?
	Other?

3.  The issue of an overlap between the enums in the finSupplyTypeTC and
    the prtMarkerSupplyTypeTC was also discussed but not resolved.  I 
    will keep the finSupplyTypeTC unchanged.  (This will allow a 
    smoother transition of integrating into the printer MIB if we decide 
    to combine the two documents.)

4.  The discussion concerning how to define the stapling positions was 
    to be continued on the mailing list.  Also, Gary Padlipsky (Xerox) 
    was planning to present a proposal to resolve this issue.

Comments concerning changes made or not made to the current draft:

1.  Attributes that specify the restrictions regarding combinations 
    of finisher devices have not been defined.  I believe that these 
    can be included into the finDeviceAttributeTable.  If not, another 
    table must be added.

2.  I need to add a statement concerning the situation where an entry 
    in the finSupplyTable services more than one finisher device.  The
    example from the meeting is a chad catcher that serves several punch 
    units.  This will go into the "Finisher Supply Group" text.  This 
    text also requires some rewording.

3.  The attributes definition section will need to have entries to 
    define some unique characteristics of the finishing device.  Such 
    as shape of the hole for a punch or the fold direction for a folding 
    unit.

4.  Finishing defaults have not been defined.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.