Parties and SNMP v2c

Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Sat Aug 24 11:31:58 EDT 1996

Hi Patrick,

SNMPv2c is simply SNMPv2 protocol encoding with old SNMPv1-style community
strings (that's what the 'c' is for).

Sad to say, Parties (and thus a standard simple way to register for specific
SNMP Traps) are no more - RFC 1920 (Internet Official Protocol Standards,
March 1996), in section 6.9 'Historic Protocols', lists the SNMPv2 Party-MIB
(RFC 1447), SNMPv2 Manager-To-Manager-MIB (RFC 1451), Security Protocols
for SNMPv2 (RFC 1446), and Admin Model for SNMPv2 (RFC 1445).  It begins
the list by saying:

        "All Historic protocols have Not Recommended status."

Yes, the current SNMPv2 official standards are RFC 1902 thru RFC 1908.
Note:  RFC 1909 (Admin Infra for SNMPv2) and RFC 1910 (User-based Security
Model for SNMPv2) are simply 'Experimental' protocols - they are NOT on
the Internet Standards Track - neither are the SNMPv2* series of I-Ds.
There is no near-term hope for standards-based security in the SNMPv2
protocol suite.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  221 Ridge Ave
  Grand Marais, MI  49839
  906-494-2434